• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The schedule details haven't been released by Disney yet, so that is why you will still see last years info listed there. It is there for reference until the official data gets released.

I love Cars Land at Christmas time! Especially at night when its all lit up! I just realized we'll only have one night in the parks on our upcoming trip! Aaak! Now I have to decide if we spend it in DL or DCA! I'm leaning towards DCA since we'll be back in January (for Star Wars Half) and the castle will look the same then.

So... how bad are the crowds 3rd week in Dec? I'm looking at changing my dates from 5-11 to 12-19. I see the hours are longer which usually means higher crowds. Is it horribly crowded? I should add that we normally go during low season (last 2 trips were beginning of Feb and mid May). We went over Gay Days in 2012 and that was pretty crowded.
We went last year between the second and third week in Dec (and again this year) and it was significantly busier in the third week- like cms talking about how close to capacity and hard to walk in the afternoon busy. The second week was busy but that Monday of the third week was really bad... This yer with everything going on and about to close I'm expecting (and hoping its not true) for that busy earlier in Dec. I guess a lot of kids either get off school the third week of Dec, parents pull them out a week early or maybe it's right before the ap window closes (can't remember when the last mad dash for ap is). Anyway- it's still lots of fun but you will wait more and do less and it takes away some of the fun of when it's less crowded of course (it may feel really bad in comparison to Feb!)

We went last year between the second and third week in Dec (and again this year) and it was significantly busier in the third week- like cms talking about how close to capacity and hard to walk in the afternoon busy. The second week was busy but that Monday of the third week was really bad... This yer with everything going on and about to close I'm expecting (and hoping its not true) for that busy earlier in Dec. I guess a lot of kids either get off school the third week of Dec, parents pull them out a week early or maybe it's right before the ap window closes (can't remember when the last mad dash for ap is). Anyway- it's still lots of fun but you will wait more and do less and it takes away some of the fun of when it's less crowded of course (it may feel really bad in comparison to Feb!)
Yikes!! Maybe I will look into switching to November... My fam does not do well with crowds.

I need help visualizing where Candlelight Processional takes place. Is it as soon as you enter Disneyland and you turn around to face the train station to view it? Are people still able to come in and out of the park while it's taking place? For some reason I'm just having trouble figuring out exactly how it all works. We'll be there on Sunday, December 6, but not sure if we will try to get near that area or not. Thanks!

lvdis-I am curious about this too. From my research it is how you said, you come in and they are all set up on the other side of the train station right by the entrance (but facing main street). I have heard so much about how crazy it is, it seems super crazy that they funnel people past this event when it sounds like the whole area shuts down:confused3

You booked that F! package too right? I booked the 6:15 to get the first show but had wanted to at least hear the candlelight processional. Not sure if we can pull it off, but we happen to be there during it and it seems a shame not to check it out. Are you going with kids?

You booked that F! package too right? I booked the 6:15 to get the first show but had wanted to at least hear the candlelight processional. Not sure if we can pull it off, but we happen to be there during it and it seems a shame not to check it out. Are you going with kids?
Yes, I reserved 4:50 for that night. No kids, just 3 adults. What about you?

2 adults and 3 kids. If I were smarter I wouldn't be trying to do so much that day and I would also have a 4pm reservation! 4:50 is a great time for a big early dinner.

We are closer to 4pm for our Fantasmic package that Sunday. Flying in from KC the day before means we will still be running on CST - so it will feel right around regular dinner time for us.

The boys won't have any interest in Candlelight, but I may wander that way while they are riding something.

peanutmomma-that is handy when the time changes work in your favor! I don't think my kids would be interested either, but 20mins or so wouldn't hurt anybody.

peanutmomma-that is handy when the time changes work in your favor! I don't think my kids would be interested either, but 20mins or so wouldn't hurt anybody.

Will have to see how the timing of the two processionals lines up. If there's one earlier, we may still be in the restaurant. And the later show means we would be queued up and waiting for Fantasmic to start.

We've never actually seen the show - I think the fella and I may have watched it once in WDW, but neither one of us remembers much of it.

Yikes!! Maybe I will look into switching to November... My fam does not do well with crowds.
I figured if you were going Feb, crowds were not your thing (though are they really anyone's lol). I would say if you could go the very start of Dec it may be best for the holiday season. If you go in Nov when it opens people are coming for the new season and sw stuff, then thanksgiving, then hopefully a break then the 3rd week is the start of really busy again. Not sure how everything will go down this year with so much changing and going on but I wouldn't expect it to help crowd levels- we are already a bit nervous about how bad it may be lol! Could be the last day or two for us is hiding from crowds at places like Tom Sawyers island, etc lol

I think everything is such a crap shoot this year! Normally I would say YES - change to the first week of the Holiday season, BUT the problem with that is that the Season of Force opens on 11/16, so we're thinking the crowds will be heavier than originally expected that week.
We went in the second week of December back in 2013, and IMO it was CROWDED. Monday afternoon that we arrived we could barely walk around New Orleans square (I know, a congested area usually anyway). It rivaled our previous late June 2012 trip crowds and quite honestly it put a damper on our trip (we weren't expecting that). Last year we went the week before Thanksgiving (NOT the week of) and crowd levels were stellar, weather was awesome, we had an all-around spectacular trip. So when we decided to go this year, we immediately decided to do the same week, but now I'm quasi-dreading it due to the crowds that the Season of Force are going to bring in, especially that first opening week. Oh well, we just bought our tickets tonight (MouseSavers.com put on facebook that they *think* regular ticket prices will be increasing soon as well).

LOVE Carsland!

IMG_2674.jpg

54587450006.jpg

54587450016.jpg

54587450065.jpg

54587450051.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

I think everything is such a crap shoot this year! Normally I would say YES - change to the first week of the Holiday season, BUT the problem with that is that the Season of Force opens on 11/16, so we're thinking the crowds will be heavier than originally expected that week.
We went in the second week of December back in 2013, and IMO it was CROWDED. Monday afternoon that we arrived we could barely walk around New Orleans square (I know, a congested area usually anyway). It rivaled our previous late June 2012 trip crowds and quite honestly it put a damper on our trip (we weren't expecting that). Last year we went the week before Thanksgiving (NOT the week of) and crowd levels were stellar, weather was awesome, we had an all-around spectacular trip. So when we decided to go this year, we immediately decided to do the same week, but now I'm quasi-dreading it due to the crowds that the Season of Force are going to bring in, especially that first opening week. Oh well, we just bought our tickets tonight (MouseSavers.com put on facebook that they *think* regular ticket prices will be increasing soon as well).
On that note . . . question about the Orbitz tickets. We bought them in for our May 2013 trip and then upgraded to AP's. They actually bridged the full price of the 5 day AP (it was the buy 4 day get 5th day free like it is now). So let's say we buy them now and the the price goes up before our November trip. Would they give us the current price toward the AP or the new higher price of the 5 day hopper toward the AP? Basically I'm asking that if we are planning on upgrading to AP's anyway, is it worth it to buy them now, or does it not matter because they will just give us the current price toward the AP anyway? I keep hoping the Ebates Orbitz rebate will go up . . . thanks if anyone knows!

Anyone else stalking the park hours page? Yesterday it had zero times for DL parades, fireworks, shows, etc. Now today it is showing times, but the Holiday Parade is not listed at all, PTN is listed, and fireworks are schedule at 9:30, which seems super late to me. I checked historical hours and last year the fireworks were at 7:45 the same week in November! I want the early ones bc there is NO way my kids will make it until 9:30.

ETA and the PTN parade is not until 8:45!! Last year the evening parade was at 5:45 which was already dark. Those times are just too late IMO, and part of why we like going in the "winter" time is bc the night-time stuff has historicall occurred earlier in the evening (at least in 2013 & 2014)

On that note . . . question about the Orbitz tickets. We bought them in for our May 2013 trip and then upgraded to AP's. They actually bridged the full price of the 5 day AP (it was the buy 4 day get 5th day free like it is now). So let's say we buy them now and the the price goes up before our November trip. Would they give us the current price toward the AP or the new higher price of the 5 day hopper toward the AP? Basically I'm asking that if we are planning on upgrading to AP's anyway, is it worth it to buy them now, or does it not matter because they will just give us the current price toward the AP anyway? I keep hoping the Ebates Orbitz rebate will go up . . . thanks if anyone knows!

Good question. I know my brother bought his 5-day PH through an association and while he paid about 10% less than gate price, he got the FULL $315 credited towards his $549 Deluxe AP. I don't know how they would handle it if they end up raising Park tickets before we go....my GUESS would be the $315 would still be the credited account (for my example) since that is the "face value" of the ticket purchased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else stalking the park hours page? Yesterday it had zero times for DL parades, fireworks, shows, etc. Now today it is showing times, but the Holiday Parade is not listed at all, PTN is listed, and fireworks are schedule at 9:30, which seems super late to me. I checked historical hours and last year the fireworks were at 7:45 the same week in November! I want the early ones bc there is NO way my kids will make it until 9:30.
I think hours are just way different last year. From what I saw, last year's hours were 10am-8pm during that first week of the holiday season time (during the week). Right now they are showing as (weekdays)

11/16-11/18 - 9am-10pm
11/19 - 8am-8pm (w/7am EMH)

This is throwing us off a bit...part of why we were loving the idea of DLR this year was that fireworks would be earlier which works for DD's schedule (she's 3)...the 10am-8pm hours are perfect for her. While part of me loves the extended hours, part of me is also concerned about how it'll all workout.

I think hours are just way different last year. From what I saw, last year's hours were 10am-8pm during that first week of the holiday season time (during the week). Right now they are showing as (weekdays)

11/16-11/18 - 9am-10pm
11/19 - 8am-8pm (w/7am EMH)

This is throwing us off a bit...part of why we were loving the idea of DLR this year was that fireworks would be earlier which works for DD's schedule (she's 3)...the 10am-8pm hours are perfect for her. While part of me loves the extended hours, part of me is also concerned about how it'll all workout.

Good catch, I didn't pay attention to the closing time, bc like your DD (who is 4), ours can't handle super late hours either. She may be able to handle 1 night, but not THAT late (9:30 fireworks would put her asleep at 11pm at the earliest, and that would probably be without a shower, and we hate to skip a shower, prefer to get the DL germs off before bed!) 10a-8p is perfect for us too, we can handle that without taking a break (my DD doesn't nap, and I think with a break, our 15 month old son would fall asleep on the walk to the hotel & then not nap at all once we got there, negating the purpose of walking back to the hotel for a nap break)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter