Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned tonight from 5 days at the Grand Californian and in the parks. I'll post my thoughts on the trip tomorrow after I get a little rest. 5 days in the parks was a olot for this fat old man, but we loved it as always! Here is a picture to tide you over till I can get my thoughts together.
Lijp0m93vmZ9rG1M_I57UactJBZ3aty3i4RIir_fb8gpX92IB

Candlelight Processional was really good tonight. Ginnifer Goodwin did a good job as narrator and her enthusiasm was clear all the way to the back row. True to form, Drew of the Dapper Dans did a wonderful job singing "Silent Night." This felt like one of the more crowded shows we seen -- there were hardly any spots open 30 minutes or so before the first show. We managed to squeeze in somewhere about little more than an hour before the show. For those going to tomorrow's shows, have a wonderful time!

Candlelight Processional was really good tonight. Ginnifer Goodwin did a good job as narrator and her enthusiasm was clear all the way to the back row. True to form, Drew of the Dapper Dans did a wonderful job singing "Silent Night." This felt like one of the more crowded shows we seen -- there were hardly any spots open 30 minutes or so before the first show. We managed to squeeze in somewhere about little more than an hour before the show. For those going to tomorrow's shows, have a wonderful time!
Did you happen to notice if the wheelchair section was full? And is it in front of the embroidery section of the store, as normal for parades?

I would love to get everyone's input on this. We will be in DLR next December during the holidays (12/24-1/1) and we have a package reservation at PPH in a standard room plus PH tickets. Would you all think it is worth the extra $$$ to upgrade to GCH in a Courtyard View since it has the entrance to CA for hotel guests, or just stay put at PPH and save the extra moolah for something else. We have stayed at all of the onsite hotels and really enjoyed all of our stays, I'm just not sure that since we are going during a time where there will be massive crowds, should we upgrade and stay in a hotel that has a dedicated CA entrance for hotel guests, or just stay put at PPH and save the money for something else like a nice dinner or souvenirs. What would you all suggest? Thanks everyone.

I would love to get everyone's input on this. We will be in DLR next December during the holidays (12/24-1/1) and we have a package reservation at PPH in a standard room plus PH tickets. Would you all think it is worth the extra $$$ to upgrade to GCH in a Courtyard View since it has the entrance to CA for hotel guests, or just stay put at PPH and save the extra moolah for something else. We have stayed at all of the onsite hotels and really enjoyed all of our stays, I'm just not sure that since we are going during a time where there will be massive crowds, should we upgrade and stay in a hotel that has a dedicated CA entrance for hotel guests, or just stay put at PPH and save the money for something else like a nice dinner or souvenirs. What would you all suggest? Thanks everyone.

I love the Grand and would stay there every trip if funds allowed. That said, I personally would keep your reservation where you are. And for a few reasons. First, PPH is only an extra 5 mins away from the Grand lobby (and I do suggest you use that route to the parks) and depending on where your room is in the Grand, it could actually be further away than PPH. Second, all onsite resort guests can use that entrance to DCA, not just guests of GCH. But I wouldn't use it first thing in the morning no matter where I stayed. With only two turnstiles, it moves slow. You'll have much better luck with the front gate.

Like I said, if money was no object I'd be at the Grand every time, but if there is other ways you want to use that money, it can be better spent.

Just returned tonight from 5 days at the Grand Californian and in the parks. I'll post my thoughts on the trip tomorrow after I get a little rest. 5 days in the parks was a olot for this fat old man, but we loved it as always! Here is a picture to tide you over till I can get my thoughts together.
Lijp0m93vmZ9rG1M_I57UactJBZ3aty3i4RIir_fb8gpX92IB

Gorgeous picture!!! This makes me excited for our trip! Thanks for sharing on here

Did you happen to notice if the wheelchair section was full? And is it in front of the embroidery section of the store, as normal for parades?

The wheelchair/ECV section was full when the show started, but was about 2/3 full when we first arrived (a little more than an hour before the show). It filled up quickly by half an hour before the show. CMs were good about trying to move chairs around to fit more guests in where possible and asking family members and friends to stand on the sides. I think I heard CMs say that they wanted everyone in that section to stay put after the show so they could be guided to the east side passageway behind the shops.

Just back from our first trip during the holidays, a quick one over the weekend. I really appreciated all the tips and advice on this thread so I figured I should report back for other newbies. The decorations were even more gorgeous than I'd expected and since I love Christmas, I thought it was worth the crowds. I would probably never come on a Candelight Processional weekend again, however. It really made it difficult to get in and out of the park, and around Main Street. We were trapped in the entrance tunnel at one point for at least 15 minutes, squished by very cranky people. Maybe after several years holiday visits the appeal of just a regular Disneyland holiday season would wear off and we'd need the CP to jazz things up again :o

Highlights for me were the Holiday Haunted Mansion, all the live music in both parks, the DL parade, the bourbon whoppie pie at Winter Sliderland, buying way too many ornaments and finally making it to Cove Bar. My wife's faves were the festiveness of Carthay Circle, Jingle Cruise, and the decorations in Cars Land, and peppermint ice cream at Gibson Girl.

We had a great time during the day until crowds made it a bit difficult to get around in the afternoon, which is when we took everyone's advice and had a lovely afternoon break. I think next time I'd try to do at least one weekday evening so we could see the lights with (hopefully) fewer people and stressed out cast members. Still, I went in with low expectations and we were actually able to ride almost everything we wanted to. Holiday fun, achieved!

Apologies if this is already asked and answered a hundred times...

Are there Main St. Projections with the Christmas fireworks? In other words, do I need to stake out a spot on Main St. for PTN and then the fireworks (like I did for the 60th)? Or are there other places that are just as good to watch from?

I think the projection question was answered upthread (no projections on Main Street) but we stood in the middle of Main Street last night and had a great view.

We got to see the CP second show last night. It was absolutely amazing!

So, with the events of the past week, my 10 year old daughter ended up packing her own suitcase for our trip. I think only two Disney shirts made it into the bag. Clearly this child needs more training!

I'm interested particularly in any more reports on the WOC dessert party, how the crowds are looking, and the Aladdin/PTN option - how it is working out for folks. I read another bad review on TA....

So, with the events of the past week, my 10 year old daughter ended up packing her own suitcase for our trip. I think only two Disney shirts made it into the bag. Clearly this child needs more training!
Yay ! Happy to hear you got to see the CP !!!!
Hope you're having lots of fun. I know you've needed it.
Hope your Mom is feeling better.

Where does it "snow" for the fireworks? I know it used to over by fantasmic(which of course is gone for now), does it still snow there? What about anywhere by IASW?

Glad you got to see CP. We love it and seeing it has become a tradition for us which kicks off our Christmas season. LOL about your DD's packing! Maybe this was a subtle hint that she'd like Mom to buy her more shirts while at DLR?? ;)

Would you all think it is worth the extra $$$ to upgrade to GCH in a Courtyard View since it has the entrance to CA for hotel guests, or just stay put at PPH and save the extra moolah for something else.
This is going to be personal choice for you and things will be different next December. There is a security area being set up for those entering Downtown Disney. It looks like if you stay at DLH or PPH, you'll have to go through security. I didn't see security for GCH entrance to downtown disney and spoke to someone staying there. The private entrance does have security, but the line there is very long. She said in the morning (if you plan to use early entry), the line is so congested that you need to be there an hour early and for her it was quicker to go the long way around and wait in the mass crowds at entrance plaza.

If you want to ride Grizzly rapids, you'll be wet and cold and it is very nice to go back to GCH and change clothes. Also, if you watch WOC, it seems like it is easier to get out of the park and back to your room afterward. With all of that said, PPH is only a little further. Personally, I freeze on December nights and would choose GCH, but it's nice to have money for stuff, too. I think I spent close to $60. on food for just myself yesterday and I had breakfast in my hotel room.

I'm interested particularly in any more reports on the WOC dessert party, how the crowds are looking, and the Aladdin/PTN option - how it is working out for folks. I read another bad review on TA....
Our family group of 5 did WOC DP on a very busy Dec 3rd. I arrived to the check in line at 8:30pm, 10 people in front of our group. Very organized in my opinion.

Although one woman approached me later (she was further back inline), started complaining to "me" how horrible the lines, crowds, disorganized, horrible chaos both in DL park and DCA and for the WOC area. Why she picked me to complain to since we weren't even standing near each other I have no idea. It was actually a bit comical as our group felt very excited yet comfortable and relaxed with the area and the wait. I could see how it can be overwhelming if its new to you and you haven't done any research about the area or if you didn't know about the CLP going on and the crowds.

Check in and seating went smoothly. "Eric" went down the line and checked people in and asked if there was a request for low or tall tables / front or back row. Right at 9pm we moved forward and received paper check in bracelets and was directed to our seats. CM's were very attentive, very pleasant. This was our 2nd WOC DP (1st was in Aug). We enjoyed the show ..... the ending was beautiful (no spoiler here). The show was abit more subdued from the summer show (my 7yr old actually feel asleep....but this was also our last night of a busy trip). Loved it ! It was beautiful and loved all the Holiday music.

Overall, would I do it again ? YES !
Taking my Mother and Sister next week to see it ! !

Our family group of 5 did WOC DP on a very busy Dec 3rd. I arrived to the check in line at 8:30pm, 10 people in front of our group. Very organized in my opinion.

Although one woman approached me later (she was further back inline), started complaining to "me" how horrible the lines, crowds, disorganized, horrible chaos both in DL park and DCA and for the WOC area. Why she picked me to complain to since we weren't even standing near each other I have no idea. It was actually a bit comical as our group felt very excited yet comfortable and relaxed with the area and the wait. I could see how it can be overwhelming if its new to you and you haven't done any research about the area or if you didn't know about the CLP going on and the crowds.

Check in and seating went smoothly. "Eric" went down the line and checked people in and asked if there was a request for low or tall tables / front or back row. Right at 9pm we moved forward and received paper check in bracelets and was directed to our seats. CM's were very attentive, very pleasant. This was our 2nd WOC DP (1st was in Aug). We enjoyed the show ..... the ending was beautiful (no spoiler here). The show was abit more subdued from the summer show (my 7yr old actually feel asleep....but this was also our last night of a busy trip). Loved it ! It was beautiful and loved all the Holiday music.

Overall, would I do it again ? YES !
Taking my Mother and Sister next week to see it ! !
that's awesome! So you can request different types of tables?

that's awesome! So you can request different types of tables?
Yes ! They have a few regular height tables / chairs and then director chair / table heights. Probably if you're further back inline you might not get your requested seating. Just keep in mind that you can request these and hopefully its available when its your turn to be checked in. I think all of the tables have a good view, but every so often an adult in the FP area will put a child on their shoulders and block a bit of space. But the show is so big it really doesn't block much at all. Don't forget to request a box to take your desserts after the party if you have left overs. We took an empty Disney bag to put dessert boxes and WOC glasses that they give kids, which are big. You can also request a glowing ice cube if your drink doesn't come with one and if they have extras sometimes they'll be able to accommodate you and give you one.

We've been spoiled with the DP ..... spoiled in a good way :lovestruc

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter