Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be surprised if Jingle Cruise didn't come back, I've read in a couple of places that it's coming back to Magic Kingdom so why wouldn't it come back to Disneyland? The timing of the breakfasts with breaks between days it's on would allow time for the overlay to be done. Hopefully this is not just wishful thinking on my part!

I hope you're right! I've never seen it!

I really loved the Jingle Cruise last year (doesn't hurt that JC is one of my favorite rides anyways) so I hope it's coming back again for those who haven't experienced it yet!

Remember, everyone, tomorrow (September 7th) begins a new theme week. You have until tonight to get in your photos of Paradise Pier and Pacific Wharf!

:santa::santa:

We are gutted about two things as huge Jungle Cruise fans:

1. We miss the Jungle Cruise breakfasts, for a split second we seriously considered leaving Vegas the second after our wedding and booking the December 2nd one :) It was one of those great moments you have as a lifelong Disney fan where you guess the huge price but still run towards the computer screaming take my dollar Disney!

2. Jingle Cruise may not return. It's a good job we have our 2016 WDW Wilderness Lodge stay and our Disney Fantasy cruise within the Christmas season booked so hopefully it returns to WDW next year. It's all been too much with all the bad Jungle Cruise news at once for us :rotfl:

:lmao: I hope that Jingle Cruise returns this year, just as decorated as ever!

I know what you mean about the prices, though -- even though you know the price will be something crazy and possibly out of the realm of sanity, there is that urge to go racing to the computer, credit card In hand, when Disney announces a special event.

Speaking of which... I wish that Disney would once again start offering some dinner packages and extra seating for the Candlelight Ceremony -- which they used to do at DLR!

I'd be surprised if Jingle Cruise didn't come back, I've read in a couple of places that it's coming back to Magic Kingdom so why wouldn't it come back to Disneyland? The timing of the breakfasts with breaks between days it's on would allow time for the overlay to be done. Hopefully this is not just wishful thinking on my part!

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but WDW is not DLR. WDW is not having a sunrise Jungle Cruise breakfast in the middle of the ride, right through the first two or three weeks of the holiday season, and then taking the people who paid for it on a ride where they get to man the boat and recite some of the skippers' dialogue. This event is something that is being done because Jungle Cruise is one of the original Disneyland rides, and this is the 60th anniversary of Disneyland. My hunch is that the focus of Jungle Cruise is not going to be holiday décor this year, and that it will be the original ride's details, trivia, history, etc.

In 2013 the overlay was able to be installed without closing Jungle Cruise -- because the holiday décor was minimal. Last year the ride was closed for something like 2 weeks, if I recall (or at least one full week and beyond), because the holiday overlay was much more extensive. Can you imagine It's a Small World or Haunted Mansion closing for a 2-1/2 week holiday overlay, and then randomly opening here and there so that people can come in and have breakfast, and then closing again? There's no point in closing a ride if it is then just going to open, if that makes sense! :lmao: Of course, I have no idea where in the Jungle Cruise the breakfast is going to take place, so maybe the specific location won't interfere with a holiday overlay or vice versa, but I don't know.

Also, I have to reiterate -- Disneyland does not mention Jingle Cruise in the descriptions under their Holidays category now, and they didn't mention it in the Holidays section of the DLR website last year either. Someone had to specifically ask Erin at the Parks Blog if Jingle Cruise was coming back, and she came back to her blog to respond and say that it was (she had not mentioned it in her blog). The fact that Disneyland does not mention Jingle Cruise as part of the holiday offerings on the website -- especially since last year it was given a major holiday overlay compared to 2013 -- leads me to think they are non-committal about it and don't want to 'promise' that JC will be back each year. That's just my take on it. Otherwise, why wouldn't they be advertising it and promoting the heck out of it as part of their holiday offerings?

It's always possible that Jingle Cruise might return -- after 12/2, when the sunrise breakfast ends. Maybe Disney feels like it's not worth it to do the overlay in the first 2 or 3 weeks of the season, and then will install some holiday décor after 12/2 so it will be open in time for the big Christmas rush starting in mid-December. It seems like it would be a waste to wait that long to open a big ride overlay and only have it open through January 6th, but it's possible.

I really loved the Jingle Cruise last year (doesn't hurt that JC is one of my favorite rides anyways) so I hope it's coming back again for those who haven't experienced it yet!

I hope so too! I suspect that a lot of people experienced Jingle Cruise in 2013, when the overlay was really minimal, but perhaps missed it last year when it was bigger and grander in every way. It would be nice if the people who only rode it in 2013 got to enjoy it in its full-fledged holiday mode, complete with aromas and fruitcake!

I also am hoping Jingle Cruise comes back and maybe with some new surprises too.

More than that, I certainly do wish for extra Candlelight seating! I would pay for a meal tie in to guarantee a seat. I admit to also still being curious as to what was in the VIP's bags last year. I believe I saw small blankets on the chairs but not sure what else.

I have never seen Jingle Jangle Jamboree so any décor over there will be a welcome treat for me. I was counting on doing the Easter Egg hunt next year and seeing all the rabbits so maybe if they do something for Christmas they will again in the Spring.

Some cooler end of year/spring weather would be most welcome too. Back in the 90's.

I also am hoping Jingle Cruise comes back and maybe with some new surprises too.

More than that, I certainly do wish for extra Candlelight seating! I would pay for a meal tie in to guarantee a seat. I admit to also still being curious as to what was in the VIP's bags last year. I believe I saw small blankets on the chairs but not sure what else.

I have never seen Jingle Jangle Jamboree so any décor over there will be a welcome treat for me. I was counting on doing the Easter Egg hunt next year and seeing all the rabbits so maybe if they do something for Christmas they will again in the Spring.

Some cooler end of year/spring weather would be most welcome too. Back in the 90's.

I don't think there is going to be a Jingle Jangle Jamboree (that would involve the Festival Arena area of the Ranch).

However, the Ranch area itself -- with the little log cabin -- will probably have some holiday decorations and Santa will probably be in the log cabin greeting guests, which is what I was told back in July. Someone in my Halloween Time Superthread spoke to a Cast Member this past week, and the CM said there would be Halloween decorations in the cabin and that the little goats would have their Halloween neck scarves one last time. So I am guessing that the same exact area will have a few decorations for the holidays as well -- but no Jingle Jangle Jamboree and no Halloween Carnival.

Seeing that the Springtime Roundup -- with the egg decorators and the various Disney rabbits -- took place in the Festival Arena area (not in the specific Ranch area), I am going to assume that there will not be a Springtime Roundup next year. The egg hunt is totally separate. The Ranch and the BBQ place are closing -- for good -- in January. Nothing will be happening there from that point on, as preparations begin for Star Wars Land.

Thanks, Sherry. I have never done the Springtime Roundup and wasn't sure where it was. I have a vague memory of doing the egg hunt as a kid and being disappointed that I "only" won a free soft drink. I guess young me wasn't feeling too appreciative that day or I just had hopes of something more Disneyland-ish.

Thanks, Sherry. I have never done the Springtime Roundup and wasn't sure where it was. I have a vague memory of doing the egg hunt as a kid and being disappointed that I "only" won a free soft drink. I guess young me wasn't feeling too appreciative that day or I just had hopes of something more Disneyland-ish.

The egg hunt is a lot different now. In 2013 it only took place in California Adventure. In 2014 and earlier this year it took place in both Disneyland and California Adventure. I'm sure that it will be back in at least one park in 2016, if not both. But the egg decorators who create the amazing Disney character eggs at the Springtime Roundup will probably not be back because the Roundup/Ranch will be gone. One of the egg guys is also a pumpkin carver, and the pumpkin carvers are completely gone this year. :sad:

It’s Monday -- and it’s time for the fifth week of the 5th Annual Theme Week Countdown to begin!!

……Only 67 Days Until the
Holiday Season Begins at the Disneyland Resort!!!!

With each new week will come a different Disneyland Resort holiday theme!

As I have previously mentioned in this Superthread, I’ll be showcasing a particular aspect of DLR's holiday festivities each week until early November. Including today’s theme, there are 9 more themes to explore over the next 9 weeks: Eight main weekly themes every Monday from today, September 7, 2015, through October 26, 2015, and a final “Holiday Cornucopia/These Are a Few of My Favorite Things” theme on Monday, November 2, 2015 (there will be more details about what the “Cornucopia” can include when we get closer to that date!).

Last year I began the Countdown about 3 weeks earlier than I started it this year. I am ending it before the Holidays at DLR officially commence (which will be Friday, November 13th, 2015, although certain things will likely soft open or soft launch on the weekend before Veterans Day). Once November starts and the decorations in the parks appear little by little each day, our attention shifts to learning information about and seeing photos of what is new for the current season’s celebration. This year there are many questions revolving around what will or will not be back for the holidays with the current focus on the Diamond (60th) Anniversary of Disneyland, and all eyes will be on any news or reports coming in from the parks.

Theme Week Countdowns are a great way to keep the photos rolling in on a regular basis and build anticipation for November at the Disneyland Resort! They are also a way to display the different elements, nuances and details of the Holidays at DLR that may be totally new to some visitors…or previously unnoticed/undiscovered by others. Finally, this is an excellent way for our Theme Week Countdown participants to shine a light on their wonderful pictures and attract visitors to their Trip Reports, photo libraries, etc.

So far, we have explored: the seaside celebrations in Paradise Pier & Pacific Wharf; tempting Holiday Treats & Treasures (a.k.a. Food & Merchandise); different seasonal photo options with Holiday Characters, PhotoPass and Santa Claus; and beautiful Christmas Trees, Wreaths and Holiday Horticulture (Holiday Flowers and Plants) around Disneyland Resort.

So…what will be our fifth theme of 2015? It is another double header Theme Week, featuring 2 themes in one!! Today, let’s take a trip to Christmases past by way of the City of Angels!

In the Spotlight this Week......

BUENA VISTA STREET and HOLLYWOOD LAND!!!!
(Including Olaf’s Snow Fest)

Much like Main Street is to Disneyland, Buena Vista Street serves as the nostalgic heartbeat of California Adventure. Since its grand opening in June of 2012 this bustling boulevard has transported visitors back in time to the 1920s, when a young Walt Disney first arrived in Los Angeles to further pursue his dreams and build his empire. Adopting both Art Deco design and a Mission theme, many of the facades along Buena Vista Street were crafted to look as they may have looked roughly 85 years ago. This atmosphere lends itself well to the holidays, as they are showcased with a vintage flair.

As soon as you enter the gates of the “re-imagined” California Adventure in mid-November through early January, you are greeted by retro, toe-tapping versions of familiar seasonal songs performed by Big Bands and crooners such as Bing Crosby, which sets the stage for a lively celebration. Storefront windows, a tree lighting ceremony and Bell Ringers also help to create a simple and understated, yet festive, mood. Santa Claus can be found meeting with both naughty and nice guests in the traditional department store setting of Elias and Company, which also houses a rare (for Disneyland Resort), miniature, tinsel-draped Christmas tree.

Near to Buena Vista Street and connected by the Red Car Trolley line, the Golden Age of the Silver Screen is represented in Hollywood Land (formerly the Hollywood Pictures Backlot), which fondly recalls the era of 1930s glamour and cinema while still featuring a few ‘modern’ touches.

During the holidays of 2013, Hollywood Land received a surprising merry makeover, which included sparkly garland, themed window scenes, Christmas trees, and a fun display at the end of the main thoroughfare that depicted Santa and his reindeer flying overhead – a tip of the hat to similar displays suspended over Hollywood Boulevard decades ago.

In addition, a light snowfall continued to provide a bit of a winter “Wonderland” at the Mad T Party, and Roz sported her Santa hat at the end of the Mike & Sulley to the Rescue ride. It is unknown at this time if the holiday version of the Mad T Party will return in 2015, or if it will main its current Diamond Anniversary theme.

New to Hollywood Land in December 2014 was a preview of Olaf’s Snow Fest, at which guests were invited to build snowmen, eat themed treats, listen to lively lute players and, of course, meet the famous summer-loving snowman himself. Olaf’s Snow Fest was one of the elements of the new “Frozen Fun” celebration that officially launched in early January 2015, and, while not technically being considered part of the holiday season in 2014, it appears that Olaf’s Snow Fest is on track to return at some point during the holiday season of 2015.

Together, Buena Vista Street and Hollywood Land effectively work to envelop guests in the spirit of Yuletides gone by... with a dash of the Yuletides of today thrown in for good measure.

Hollywood Land!!

The Cahuenga Building…

IMG_9265-1.jpg

The Mad T Party area got a few small touches…

IMG_9250.jpg

This Santa Claus photo backdrop was new in 2013, and is reminiscent of the Santa displays suspended over Hollywood Boulevard in the 1940s…

IMG_9260-1.jpg

The Hyperion’s Christmas trees…

IMG_9258.jpg

Circular ‘signs’ with holiday images such as Santa and gold stars line the street…

IMG_9241.jpg

A retro TV holiday window display on the side of Off the Page…

2c35f31e-10f1-4b5b-b73d-c8bbc36742ef.jpg

That same retro TV holiday window display, slightly closer-up…

d64ea94a-2f0d-4136-b18c-8776de501bb3.jpg

The Mad T Party is/was an interesting fit in Hollywood Land…

IMG_9518.jpg

Candy cane-colored garland wrapped around posts...

IMG_6159.jpg

IMG_6162.jpg

Argyle building...

IMG_9254.jpg

Random bow on a light...

IMG_9256.jpg

Tree in window display (with star ornaments)...

IMG_9257.jpg

Buena Vista Street!!

One of the very few Hanukkah-inspired displays around Disneyland Resort…

IMG_1187.jpg

Oswald’s…

IMG_6008-1.jpg

Under the Buena Vista Street Christmas tree, it’s California or bust!

eb57dcfd-21ea-4bbd-a811-26d00755adc0.jpg

A Trolley Treats window display…

IMG_6074.jpg

The ornaments seem to take on a magical quality on the Buena Vista Street tree at night…

1a6e1078-2c38-494b-b007-5a3174c12da9.jpg

The Buena Vista Street Bugle – ‘Tis the Season!

60b2bac0-cfcc-4465-b957-db8ff4f3afb9.jpg

‘Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house…

87b7662d-50f5-4b3e-9a89-3ed5349b5540.jpg

Vintage themed ornaments on the Buena Vista Street tree…

IMG_9475.jpg

Palm trees and Christmas trees can co-exist!

IMG_0342.jpg

The Carthay Circle Theatre Tower in color…

IMG_0322.jpg

…and in black & white…

5c0c9e38-bf11-4275-9a48-260c0f6ce16e.jpg

The Buena Vista Street Bugle heralded the arrival of Winter Dreams in 2013 (which is located in Paradise Pier, not on Buena Vista Street!)!

4982e770-809b-4868-b5c7-be101dca3f70.jpg

Elias & Company…

IMG_1132.jpg

Inside Trolley Treats – candy garland hangs from the ceiling…

IMG_1136.jpg

Inside Clarabelle’s…

IMG_1142.jpg

I love the musical accents on the garland inside the Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Café…

IMG_1147.jpg

At Mortimer’s Market…

IMG_1168.jpg

If you get a chance, be sure to stop and enjoy the Buena Vista Street Bell Ringers…

IMG_1191.jpg

Tinsel tree...

IMG_9280.jpg

I may or may not post more photos during the week. I have too many pictures, and can never decide which ones to use, thus requiring another possible photo installment at some point.

Please feel free to post your photos of Buena Vista Street and Hollywood Land (including photos of Olaf’s Snow Fest) all this week, through Sunday, September 13th, 2015, 11:59 p.m., P.S.T.

Then, stay tuned for our sixth theme on Monday, September 14th!! We have many themes coming up in future weeks, so get your photos ready!

A reminder – please follow my leads (in either the photos I post or in the text) as to what to post for the themes. Please stick to the designated themes and save any other photos that don’t fit for future theme weeks. Every possible Disneyland Resort holiday-related element will be covered in some theme or another, so nothing will be left out. However, since this is a game/contest – in which people are entering to win Disney gift cards based on their contributions – it’s important to not stray from the theme that is underway. Feel free to ask me if you are not sure if something counts or doesn’t count. :goodvibes

I'm wondering if this will be the year Disneyland starts a hard ticket/party event for the Christmas extras and festivities. Since the popularity of the new parade and fireworks are still high, I can see the powers-that-be (PTB) decide to run them throughout the holiday season. Then the PTB could run a holiday party night with the holiday parade and holiday fireworks and falling snow. My 60-day window to start making dining reservations opens in 16 days. I'll definitely be watching the 60-day window to the start of the official holiday season which should begin allowing reservations on September 14th (a week from today).

What do you think? Will it finally be starting this year? Or would there have been more advance warning?

I'm wondering if this will be the year Disneyland starts a hard ticket/party event for the Christmas extras and festivities. Since the popularity of the new parade and fireworks are still high, I can see the powers-that-be (PTB) decide to run them throughout the holiday season. Then the PTB could run a holiday party night with the holiday parade and holiday fireworks and falling snow. My 60-day window to start making dining reservations opens in 16 days. I'll definitely be watching the 60-day window to the start of the official holiday season which should begin allowing reservations on September 14th (a week from today).

What do you think? Will it finally be starting this year? Or would there have been more advance warning?

I definitely think that there will be some sort of hard ticket Christmas party event coming up -- more than likely, in the next year or two. It's really been looming for a while -- I don't think anyone has believed that it wouldn't happen sooner or later, but the timing has not been right. It's a slippery slope as to how to 'package' it for the Disneyland crowds. The 'problem,' for lack of a better word, is that both A Christmas Fantasy Parade and the Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks have been around for so many years. Unlike the Halloween Screams fireworks, which had only been around for one year before being turned into a Halloween party exclusive, both ACFP and BIHM have been there for years and years as part of the regular holiday events, and have become part of returning visitors' holiday traditions. To add those two things to a costly Christmas party would almost be insulting -- because they're old. The only way it would work would be if both the parade and the fireworks were removed from the holiday season for a couple of years, and then brought "back by popular demand" as part of a hard ticket Christmas party. They have to be taken away to create some demand before being brought back.

But... this year it appears that the Christmas Fantasy Parade is returning. It may not run at night, but it is returning in the daytime. It's the holiday fireworks that are probably not returning this year.

I don't doubt that Disney may try to capitalize on the popularity of the Christmas season in some way this year, and add in some kind of paid event -- like a special dinner, like what is happening at the Blue Bayou during Halloween Time this year. That may be their way of testing the waters and seeing what works for the holiday season in terms of a hard ticket event before actually diving full force into a multi-night Christmas party.

I think that Disney could have easily started a Christmas party at DLR years ago, but they didn't... and it's for a reason. What reason, who knows? But there is a reason. They know they have to sell it and package it just right. Currently, they are basically stripping away quite a few Halloween elements from the daytime and making them Halloween party exclusives, and beyond that they are now charging for a separate dinner in addition to the crazy cost of the Halloween party. If they try doing that same thing with the holiday season in the same year, and launching some multi-night Christmas party, I'm not sure if it would go over well when the dust was settled,

It's funny because I see a lot of people across the Internet say that they would love a party at DLR -- and I suspect that it is because they are used to the WDW way of doing things. I don't think that a lot of people realize that, at DLR, we get all of that stuff (that would be a party exclusive at WDW) "for free," all season long, and that's how it has been for years! So, to say that they would love a party essentially means that they would rather pay to watch an old Christmas parade and fireworks, and meet characters in holiday attire, than to do all of that for free all season. That makes very little sense to me. And the extras that would be added into a party -- cookies or whatever -- should not be enough of a reason to want a party.

I think that the only real way a multi-night hard ticket party at DLR could work without tons of backlash from repeat visitors and locals is to introduce all new party-exclusive entertainment, OR keep the ticket sales way down so the crowds are low, or remove the existing entertainment for a couple of years and then bring it back as part of a party.

With all of the construction coming up for Star Wars Land, I actually tend to wonder if an official Christmas party might be postponed for a while -- or if it might be held in DCA while the work in Disneyland is going on.

But... it's worth mentioning that, after a 9-year absence, the Halloween party was resurrected in 2005 -- during the year of the 50th anniversary. So, if Disney could decide to debut a hard ticket party during the 50th anniversary year, what would stop them from doing it during the 60th?

It's funny because I see a lot of people say that they would love a party at DLR -- and I suspect that it is because they are used to the WDW way of doing things. I don't think that a lot of people realize that, at DLR, we get all of that stuff (that would be a party exclusive at WDW) "for free," all season long, and that's how it has been for years! So, to say that they would love a party essentially means that they would rather pay to watch an old Christmas parade and fireworks, and meet characters in holiday attire, than to do all of that for free all season. That makes very little sense to me. And the extras that would be added into a party -- cookies or whatever -- should not be enough of a reason to want a party.

I think that the only real way a multi-night hard ticket party at DLR could work without tons of backlash from repeat visitors and locals is to introduce all new party-exclusive entertainment, OR keep the ticket sales way down so the crowds are low, or remove the existing entertainment for a couple of years and then bring it back as part of a party.

Disney can print their own money...at the parks (price increases be damned), with hard ticketed events becoming more commonplace, merchandise (looking at you BB-8 and Star Wars franchise) and I'm guilty of getting sucked in and loving everything about it. I've always wondered why DLR hasn't had a ticketed event like MVMCP, but you put things into proper perspective, especially when you mention all of the things MVMCP provides is already part of the normal Holiday festivities at DLR. I've never been to WDW for MVMCP but I have seven words describing why I would pay for a hard ticketed Holiday event at DLR. Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Bashful, Dopey (on a side note, why can't they be at MHP?!)

Last edited:
The tree on BV street

with mistletoe magic shot & horrified children :)

fun photopass extra at the BVS tree

Beautiful BVS

the Dog Lady of BVS, with her Christmas pin

Hollywoodland

Our last day was Sat Dec 20, the first day of "Frozen-land." We headed into DCA & Hollywoodland right away during the extra Magic Morning for onsite guests (IIRM, it was at both parks on those days right before Christmas). Anyhow, we were able to walk right up to the CM by Olaf and ask where/what we had to do to meet him (there were a ton of suits standing around at this time too). So she (the CM) says, How'd you like to be the first family to meet Olaf?! Which is why we are pictured here with Olaf outside, not in any place special. Photopass wasn't even set up with him yet! But we were photographed by many MANY execs on their iPhones :)

I barely have 2 to share...

Here is the Hyperion prior to Santa and the reindeers but you can see Christmas trees under the sign.

Jingle Cruise at WDW must have started in 2013 because I do not recall seeing it in 2012 when we were there. I had no idea!
I think if I had $300 extra I would consider doing the breakfast...but hubby would be on his own, lol!

Jingle Cruise at WDW must have started in 2013 because I do not recall seeing it in 2012 when we were there. I had no idea!
I think if I had $300 extra I would consider doing the breakfast...but hubby would be on his own, lol!

Jingle Cruise started at both WDW and DLR in the same year -- 2013. They both began with very minimal décor, which you saw when you were out here in 2013. Last year Disneyland's Jingle Cruise got a huge increase in décor, aromas, etc. It suddenly turned into a big overlay that actually required the ride to be closed for installation. I don't know if WDW's version got the increase in holiday enhancements in 2014 as well, or if it was just a DLR thing.

ry=400 (3).jpg

ry=400 (4).jpg

ry=400 (5).jpg

Loved the bell ringers, they were so talented!

ry=400 (6).jpg

ry=400 (7).jpg

ry=400 (8).jpg

ry=400 (9).jpg
This is inside Carthay Circle...the decorations there were subtle but definitely present!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter