Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #2 (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No candy cane CALIFORNIA letters at the entrance to DCA. The Golden Gate Bridge and its decor will probably be gone by year's end. The Hollywood Backlot area will once again be void of holiday decor because of ElecTRONica (that area used to be decorated pre-ElecTRONica).

So right now - unless DCA suddenly gets some decorations where we don't expect to see any - there should just be a big Christmas tree and hopefully Santa in the PP area. There should be giant ornaments and lights in A Bug's Land. And there may be a wreath or two here and there, as well as some trees inside shops. Honestly, I wish they would roll out the holiday version of TSMM this year (that's coming eventually - Mr. Potato Head already has Christmas songs and chatter pre-recorded), as well as a holiday World of Color, just to kind of fill out the seasonal offerings in DCA a bit more. I think this would be a good year to add in something new to DCA for the season because of all the stuff that's disappearing!

That stinks! They should dress it up as much as they do Disneyland. :confused3 A holiday WoC would be very cool too. There is so much room at and they could make it really special if they wanted too.

Do I dare ask what ElecTRONica is? It doesn't sound like something I'd like.

That stinks! They should dress it up as much as they do Disneyland. :confused3 A holiday WoC would be very cool too. There is so much room at and they could make it really special if they wanted too.

Do I dare ask what ElecTRONica is? It doesn't sound like something I'd like.

Personally, ElecTRONica is not my thing but I know a lot of other people seem to like it. It was supposed to be closed by the end of Summer but DLR decided to extend it into March of next year, I think. That's great news for people who like it, but not for those of us who actually like DCA to have fun stuff like Halloween and Christmas decorations! The Hollywood Backlot area is dominated by ElecTRONica now, so Halloween has been completely wiped out from DCA altogether and the Christmas season has been scaled way down and all the Hollywood decorations have been removed.

Let me see if I can find that ElecTRONica thread that's floating around here. Since I'm not a fan of it, it wouldn't be best described by me. That thread might help explain better. I think that mvf-m11c (Bret) might be able to give a better rundown of it, too.

Bret, are you out there?

Basically, it's kind of a street party with dancers and an arcade with '80's-type video games and all kinds of lights, music, etc. It's something to appeal to young visitors, and it's kind of controversial as some folks think ElecTRONica has no place in any Disney park because it's not that typical Disney style, while others think DCA gives a much needed, 'hip' edge.

Okay, as promised in previous post, here is the ElecTRONica thread. Maybe there will be better explanations and descriptions in it about what, exactly, ElecTRONica is beyond what I attempted to explain above!:rotfl2:

Did everyone see the Al Lutz article today involving a possible Halloween World of Color and all the ride closures coming up?

HydroGuy has a thread about Al's article on this forum, but one interesting thing is that POTC is scheduled to be down for 2-1/2 months! YES, TWO AND A HALF MONTHS!! If Al's report is correct, POTC will be down all through Halloween Time and up until Thanksgiving.:scared1:

So anyone here who had their hearts set on seeing POTC and is planning to be at DLR for an early holiday beween Labor Day and Thanksgiving, you might be out of luck - no pirates!

POTC is one of my top 2 favorite rides, so I am lucky that I planned my trip for after Thanksgiving, just in case!

So anyone here who had their hearts set on seeing POTC and is planning to be at DLR for an early holiday beween Labor Day and Thanksgiving, you might be out of luck - no pirates!

POTC is one of my top 2 favorite rides, so I am lucky that I planned my trip for after Thanksgiving, just in case!

Yep, noticed that :headache: But I'm still holding on to the fact that we'll get the holiday season -- snow on Main St, IASWH, and reindeer at Big Thunder Ranch. :cloud9:

I guess we'll just have to come back sometime for POTC. :)

But they'd better not have Indy closed for our entire 5 days. Or I'll be in big trouble with Mrs GrandBob, aka Glamma. :scared1:

-Bob

ETA - I just realized this means that we won't be able to do BB. Or at least, it wouldn't be worth it, without the POTC ambience. DGD hasn't been yet. I was gonna make ressies this time; it would be her first. :sad:
I assume BB closes whenever POTC closes?

Yep, noticed that :headache: But I'm still holding on to the fact that we'll get the holiday season -- snow on Main St, IASWH, and reindeer at Big Thunder Ranch. :cloud9:

But they'd better not have Indy closed for our entire 5 days. Or I'll be in big trouble with Mrs GrandBob, aka Glamma. :scared1:

-Bob

And you never know...DR could decide to postpone the POTC refurb. It seems like there was a lenghty POTC refurb planned a few years ago - though maybe not 2-1/2 months long! - and it was cancelled...although that could be why the planned refurb is so long this time, because they didn't do it when they were supposed to do it before!

I would imagine that the goal here is to get whatever work needs to be done on POTC finished before the masses descend on DLR next year for CarsLand and all that. DLR wants everything in tip-top shape.

I actually think that the holiday season activities may detract a bit from POTC not being open yet when you go, Bob. There is enough other stuff to see and do that it won't make as big of an impact.

But for those folks who expect the rides to be open with shorter lines during Mickey's Halloween Party, I think it will be more obvious that POTC is closed. Being able to ride POTC during the party was probably a big deal to a lot of party guests last year!

I remember Glamma - she has the gorgeous colored scarf/pashmina in the photo with your granddaughter by the Main Street Christmas tree! It was like an aqua color almost, not quite turquoise!

Excellent question about BB! You know, that's a good point - does it close when POTC closes? Hmmm...

I did see the possible closure for POTC. :faint: Hope it doesn't interfere with our dates.

Sherry, will this be the first year for the holiday decor at the DLH after it's refurb? I cannot find any photos.

I did see the possible closure for POTC. :faint: Hope it doesn't interfere with our dates.

Sherry, will this be the first year for the holiday decor at the DLH after it's refurb? I cannot find any photos.

rentayenta - Did you take a look at that ElecTRONica thread I posted the link to yesterday? I wondered if you had decided that it was something you wanted to see, or could skip!:rotfl2: (I'm in the 'skip' category, but I know it's very popular with other people.) I would rather have more Christmas decorations than ElecTRONica for the holidays, but Disney is not listening to me!:rotfl2:

About the DLH - when you say you can't find photos, you mean you can't find photos of the refurbished hotel in general? I know I posted photos or links to photos of some of the DLH's holiday decor in this thread.

Anyway, yes, this should be the first year of decor post-refurb. The refurb had begun last year - there was all kinds of construction happening - but this will be the first year for DLH decorations after the refurb is finished, or at least closer to being finished than it was last year!:rotfl2: So there are more opportunities for some extra trees and wreaths here and there. Maybe there will be a Tangaroa Terrace tree?

rentayenta - Did you take a look at that ElecTRONica thread I posted the link to yesterday? I wondered if you had decided that it was something you wanted to see, or could skip!:rotfl2: (I'm in the 'skip' category, but I know it's very popular with other people.) I would rather have more Christmas decorations than ElecTRONica for the holidays, but Disney is not listening to me!:rotfl2:

Totally not my thing either. :blush: I will skip it for sure. It doesn't appeal to me at all. I agree to have more decorations too. I don't even see the connection between it and Disneyland to be honest. :confused3 I guess we are just old school. :cool2: :laughing:

About the DLH - when you say you can't find photos, you mean you can't find photos of the refurbished hotel in general? I know I posted photos or links to photos of some of the DLH's holiday decor in this thread.

Anyway, yes, this should be the first year of decor post-refurb. The refurb had begun last year - there was all kinds of construction happening - but this will be the first year for DLH decorations after the refurb is finished, or at least closer to being finished than it was last year!:rotfl2: So there are more opportunities for some extra trees and wreaths here and there. Maybe there will be a Tangaroa Terrace tree?

I did see some Christmas photos but I'm looking for current photos. Might be there a few nights after the GCV. The new rooms look beautiful. I hope they gussy it up for Christmas.

You took the words right out of my mouth! :goodvibes

Sherry I have a question for you. We are going vets day weekend (11/10-11/14) and I saw by the title of the thread that it says 11-14 on. Does that mean their won't be any xmas stuff up before that? I know in the past there was but not ALL of it. This was the best time for us to go with the kids break from school but I will be kind of bummed if there is no decs yet. Would appreciate any info. Thanks :)

Sherry I have a question for you. We are going vets day weekend (11/10-11/14) and I saw by the title of the thread that it says 11-14 on. Does that mean their won't be any xmas stuff up before that? I know in the past there was but not ALL of it. This was the best time for us to go with the kids break from school but I will be kind of bummed if there is no decs yet. Would appreciate any info. Thanks :)

I would imagine most, if not all the decor in the parks will be up by then, but the Christmas entertainment (holiday fireworks, snow on Main Street, Christmas parade) will not start until the day of the 14th. I am kind of thinking they might be taping the Christmas parade that weekend though, since historically they tend to tape it the weekend before the official season starts. We will also be in town on those days, coming in on 11/11 and will be in the parks through 11/16. :thumbsup2

I remember Glamma - she has the gorgeous colored scarf/pashmina in the photo with your granddaughter by the Main Street Christmas tree! It was like an aqua color almost, not quite turquoise!

Excellent question about BB! You know, that's a good point - does it close when POTC closes? Hmmm...

Excellent memory, Sherry! Yep, that's my beautiful wife. And granddaughter inherited those glamor genes :laughing:

I seem to recall another time that POTC was under refurb, and that BB was closed then. But I'm not sure, hence my question.

Thanks Kim that is kind of what I remembered too. We went on Vets weekend once before but it was years ago and I seemed to remember the decs being up but couldn't remember if they had the entertainment. Kind of bummed that it won't be since we went in Dec this past year and everything was rained out but oh well. I am sure we will still have fun. We have to leave on the morning of the 14th so can't even go to the parks that day :(

Let me see if I can find that ElecTRONica thread that's floating around here. Since I'm not a fan of it, it wouldn't be best described by me. That thread might help explain better. I think that mvf-m11c (Bret) might be able to give a better rundown of it, too.

Bret, are you out there?

Basically, it's kind of a street party with dancers and an arcade with '80's-type video games and all kinds of lights, music, etc. It's something to appeal to young visitors, and it's kind of controversial as some folks think ElecTRONica has no place in any Disney park because it's not that typical Disney style, while others think DCA gives a much needed, 'hip' edge.

I am still here Sherry. I just got back from DL yesterday and working on my TR. You know that I will always be on the Christmas Thread and give my opinions during the Holiday season which is the best season at the DLR. :thumbsup2

As for ElecTRONica during the Holiday season, the HBL was not decorated during the Holiday season with the ElecTRONica sets and stands. When I first saw the HBL during my trip last year in November, I thought DCA would at least put up some Holiday decorations at HBL even though ElecTRONica was extended towards this year. But the Holiday decorations don't match with ElecTRONica and I understand why DCA did not put up any Holiday decorations at the HBL. I am not much of a party person which ElecTRONica is all about (not being offensive to the people who like ElecTRONica). It is not for me which I am not a partying type person. In the past at the HBL, DCA barely puts up any Holiday decorations out there. There might be some wreaths, garlands, Holiday signs, candy canes and stockings on the light poles during the old days.

Here are some old pics from my past trips during the Holiday season before ElecTRONica came last year.
4792148143_0c47d2e753_b.jpg

4792784064_a2654ecd61_b.jpg

I was kind of surprise to read that POTC might be down towards Thanksgiving. Hope that it will be open during my Holiday trip. It was neat to see the new Black Beard mist screen during the ride.

Kelly -

Kim answered before I had a chance to answer you, and she gave you most of the info, but what I would add is that the hotels and DTD will not have their holiday decor up prior to Thanksgiving. So what you will be be getting is Phase 1 and one day of Phase 2 of the decor/entertainment for your trip. I explained this somewhere on the last page or the page before, but basically:

Phase 1 is when most of decorations and most of the trees start to go up between Halloween and the start of the holiday season. A lot of merchandise begins to appear and some of the holiday treats are sold. Everything is slowly put up.

Phase 2 is the official opening day of the season, when any extra little touches are thrown in, and all the entertainment starts, like the Round-Up, snow on Main Street, IASW Holiday, etc. Most of the holiday food items are out. ToonTown, NOS, Frontierland, A Bug's Land, etc. all have their holiday decor. Santa appears in DL and DCA.

Phase 3 is when the 3 hotels get their decor - right after Thanksgiving - and DTD gets its tree. Anything food-wise or merchandise-wise that was not on sale before will probably be available now (like tamales). Santa and carolers appear in all 3 hotels.

Honestly, just because the season is starting on such an odd day of the week this year, my personal feeling is that IASW Holiday will open before 11/14, probably in soft openings over the weekend. I would think that almost everything will be up or soft opening (maybe even the Round-Up) before Monday.

If the season were to start on a Friday, like always, then I would assume that all the entertainment would have a hard start date and not roll out earlier. But because there will be many people in DLR for the Veterans Day weekend leading up to the holiday season, this year I suspect that you will see mostly everything in full swing a couple of days early.

Thank you so much for posting those photos, Bret! I had almost forgotten what the the Hollywood area looked like with some Christmas decor! I liked those garland candy cane and bell things on the posts. I wish there was a way they could keep decorating the area in spite of ElecTRONica!:rotfl2:

Yay! Pictures! Thank you so much, Meredith!:cool1:

You gave us such a good array of photos with an overview of what the holidays are like at DLR. I was giddy looking at all of them! The Castle photos are just wonderful - it made me very anxious to get back there and see it, as well as IASW Holiday! And I love the teeny tiny decorations on the Storybook Land cottages - that is something that I bet a lot of people very easily miss because they skip that ride.

Thanks Sherry. That is kind of what I was hoping too since Vets day will be a 3 or 4 day weekend for a lot of people. I figured it will prob be really busy (the time we were there before they actually closed DL!!) EEK! Had signs on harbor that it was closed and to go to DCA instead. That is the one and only time I ever saw that although I have been at times like this past week when it seemed MORE crowded.

I appreciate all the info and although I wish there would be a bit more we have to take what we can get since that is the only weekend that works for us.

Thanks!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter