Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #2 (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for the IASW pics!! I have been so excited about that as (like PP) my DS with autism loves that ride & a new experience will be great for the whole family.

Can someone tell me if the music changes with the overlay?

Thanks so much for the IASW pics!! I have been so excited about that as (like PP) my DS with autism loves that ride & a new experience will be great for the whole family.

Yes. It's a medley of IASW, Deck the Halls, and Jingle Bells

CajunMomof3 -

I actually wrote about it in my intro to the new theme yesterday (I have written all the intros to all the themes; they're not copied and pasted from anywhere).

See the paragraphs that are in red - the songs are mentioned in the 4th paragraph down in that red section:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=46316629&postcount=2933

100% confirmed now. Believe...in Holiday Magic is on schedule at official site starting 11/9 8:45PM :)

If like last years, the shows that weekend will be "soft starts" meaning the synchronized castle lighting won't be active, that will start Monday 11/12.

100% confirmed now. Believe...in Holiday Magic is on schedule at official site starting 11/9 8:45PM :)

If like last years, the shows that weekend will be "soft starts" meaning the synchronized castle lighting won't be active, that will start Monday 11/12.

Exactly - which is why I keep emphasizing "the first day of the season" or the "first official day of the season" when I try to explain when certain things start. Anything that happens prior to 11/12 this year is not official - it's a soft open. IASW Holiday will likely soft open too, as it does most years. But nothing is guaranteed to be up and running until the first official day of the season - and 11/12 is that day this year.

My apologies--you said the parks, and I gave you a recommendation for Downtown Disney. In the parks, for dinner, with a little one, you might want to consider Ariel's Grotto in California Adventure, particularly if they have a World of Color dinner show package.

We did this package last year. I'd caution you that dinner is not a character experience at night. While it was nice to get the fastpasses for WOC, I felt the dinner was overpriced for the overall experience. (in my last TR)

I have done the WOC Picnic from Wine Country Ta... and was very satisfied with value for the experience there. (in my October DL TR)

You don't get a reserved standing area, yet a fp for a particular viewing area.

TK

Here is where I admit that had we not gone on the Holiday Tour we would not have gone on this ride? I do think my guys liked it (although that was never admitted)

day2-38.jpg

day2-39.jpg

day2-40.jpg

day2-41.jpg

day2-43.jpg

IMG_3652watermark.jpg

IMG_3654watermark.jpg

IMG_3663watermark.jpg

IMG_3665watermark.jpg

I think you'd have to ride this ride many times to capture all the details. I especially like that the Disney Princess and other characters are encorporated in the ride.

IMG_3672watermark.jpg

IMG_3673watermark.jpg

IMG_3679watermark.jpg

LOVE theme week!

We did this package last year. I'd caution you that dinner is not a character experience at night. While it was nice to get the fastpasses for WOC, I felt the dinner was overpriced for the overall experience. (in my last TR)

I have done the WOC Picnic from Wine Country Ta... and was very satisfied with value for the experience there. (in my October DL TR)

You don't get a reserved standing area, yet a fp for a particular viewing area.

TK

Ariels is back to characters for dinner... but no more WOC passes... you have to do Carthay or WCT or a picnic to get the WOC passes (or the FP machine at Grizzly.)

CajunMomof3 -

I actually wrote about it in my intro to the new theme yesterday (I have written all the intros to all the themes; they're not copied and pasted from anywhere).

See the paragraphs that are in red - the songs are mentioned in the 4th paragraph down in that red section:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=46316629&postcount=2933

Not sure how I missed that whole section... But, thanks for the info. I'm now even more excited than before!! Not sure I'm going to last until the end of December:santa:

This thread is so awesome! Very glad I stumbled on it. Go me. :cool1: Taking a trip to DL this November with all 6 kids, & DH (so make that 7 kids, LOL), and none of them know yet. Its going to be great, first-ever "surprise" trip. Anyways, I was just wondering if there's any good restaurants we should make reservations for? Also, is Fantasmic! worth seeing? Any answers help. Thanks! :p

This thread is so awesome! Very glad I stumbled on it. Go me. :cool1: Taking a trip to DL this November with all 6 kids, & DH (so make that 7 kids, LOL), and none of them know yet. Its going to be great, first-ever "surprise" trip. Anyways, I was just wondering if there's any good restaurants we should make reservations for? Also, is Fantasmic! worth seeing? Any answers help. Thanks! :p

I would recommend a dinner at Goofy's Kitchen or a breakfast at the PCH Grill, Goofy's Kitchen or the Grand Californian character breakfast (all of us like the character meals at the hotels better than the ones at the parks, plus, you can still get to the park early after a breakfast).

We maybe going December 28 - 31:crazy2:. I spent the last 20 years avoiding the parks during the peak seasons as my sp needs daughters can not handle the crowds. My daughter's friend is coming out and it is my daughter's (non-sp needs) 16th bd. She either wants to go to Yosemite:worship: or Disneyland. The girls need to make a decission but I have a feeling she is siding with DL:sad1:. I already warned her it would be crowded and they would have to get up early to go to the parks.

What am I in for?:scared1:?? Any suggustion on how to hit the parks, tips? I can't afford to stay at any of the DL hotels as they are 300 - 500 per night. Do we still get one early morning with the 3 day hopper pass? Right now I have a reservation with the Ramada & Fairfield. I am thinking of trying orbitz, travelosity or hotels.com to get a better price.

Any suggustions are greatly appreciated. My other two went on very few rides and we had a GAC if we needed it. This will be a whole nother experience!

Oh, where do you get the gingerbread beignets? I would love to try them.

We maybe going December 28 - 31:crazy2:. I spent the last 20 years avoiding the parks during the peak seasons as my sp needs daughters can not handle the crowds. My daughter's friend is coming out and it is my daughter's 16th bd. She either wants to go to Yosemite:worship: or Disneyland. The girls need to make a decission but I have a feeling she is siding with DL:sad1:. I already warned her it would be crowded and they would have to get up early to go to the parks.

What am I in for?:scared1:?? Any suggustion on how to hit the parks, tips? I can't afford to stay at any of the DL hotels as they are 300 - 500 per night. Do we still get one early morning with the 3 day hopper pass? Right now I have a reservation with the Ramada & Fairfield. I am thinking of trying orbitz, travelosity or hotels.com to get a better price.

Any suggustions are greatly appreciated. My other two went on very few rides and we had a GAC if we needed it. This will be a whole nother experience!

Oh, where do you get the gingerbread beignets? I would love to try them.

I am in a wheelchair, and daughter (16) and hubby both have autism spectrum disorders, and we went to Disneyland over Christmas last year. We stayed at the Howard Johnson's Anaheim. I was just as worried as you were, but it went okay. Make sure expectations are appropriately set that they won't see everything, and find out what the most important rides/attractions are.

If rooms are available, the Howard Johnson's Anaheim or Best Western Park Place Inn are good choices (avoid Captain Kidd's buffet, however. Mimi's restaurant is great.) There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Ramada Maingate or the Fairfield, also. All are close by, and very good choices. If possible, try to get a room with a refrigerator.

I think the 3-day passes still come with an early entry, and you DEFINITELY want to use it. Avoid DCA on early entry days--try to go on a non-early entry day. Get a picnic meal so you can get the fastpass, or make sure you get a fastpass to World of Color.

Go early in the morning, hang out in the parks until about 1 then go back to your hotel. Get lunch in your room (MUCH less stressful--Vons will deliver groceries, and you can keep it in your fridge), hang out by the pool, take a nap and then go back in the evening and close down one or both parks. If you keep it to the mornings and nights, you should be able to avoid the worst of the crowding (although it will still be VERY crowded).

Also, get a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland and take the time to develop a really good touring plan, or buy one of the touring plans online. Given the time of year, a good touring plan can make all the difference.

Make sure you have reservations for meals, or plan to eat off-hours. If that doesn't work, eat in the resorts at the non-character, inexpensive places. White Water Snacks at the Grand Californian comes to mind immediately. It wasn't crowded all Christmas week, and it's just outside DCA.

It will be okay. Happy birthday to your daughter!

First, thank you for your previous reply regarding the availability of Christmas Menus... Looking at the announcement of Thanksgiving Day menu it looks like they won't be out until after we can book reservations, oh well...

Second, just looking for feedback on a tentative schedule... This is based on last years schedule of events so times may change and of course availability may change some plans. We arrive late on Sun Dec 23rd, leave early on the 26th so only 2 days in the park :scared1:

Sunday - dinner at Goofy's Kitchen 7pm-ish

Monday (Christmas Eve) - 3pm holiday tour
- 5:30pm Parade
- 6:30pm dinner (planning WCT but open to suggestions)
- 8:45 Fireworks AND/OR 10:15 Fantasmic

Tuesday (Christmas Day) - 5pm or before dinner at CCR
- 7pm World of Color (though we might want to do 7pm dinner/9pm show)
- If fireworks/fantasmic didn't work out on Monday, pick it up here

Wednesday - Breakfast at PCH Grill

Are we going to be able to transition in time to meet this schedule or a I crazy fir trying to fit it all in??

Thanks again!!

J.

I'm actually surprised that more of our DIS'ers (besides Bret and myself) have not posted IASWH photos.

I've missed it here this week. I've just been so busy that I've hardly done any Disney dreaming all week! :eek:

I thought IASW was sooooooooo neat with the Christmas decorations. Really loved it. It's nice to hear a little different music in there too. ;) I don't have many photos that aren't like the ones already posted, so I'm just going to include some that are at least a little different. And these are, again, from Jan '09:

during the fireworks:
IASW_Jan09_05.jpg

right after with "snow" in the air:
IASW_Jan09_01.jpg

a "snow" blower (with a IASW wreath partially visible):
IASW_Jan09_06.jpg

IASW_Jan09_04.jpg

the little dolls coming out for their show:
IASW_Jan09_07.jpg

on the ride:
IASW_Jan09_08.jpg

Happy Holidays!
IASW_Jan09_02.jpg

IASW_Jan09_03.jpg

Hi all! So I asked this somewhere else, but thought with this huge thread someone might have more info to add.

Does anyone have any info on what to expect decoration wise in between the end of Halloween and the beginning of Christmas? I know Christmas officially begins 11/12 this year and Halloween ends 10/31. We'll be there from November 1-8 (in the park 6 of those days). Will they get a fair amt of decorations up during that time?

And what about the holiday shows. I'm not worried about the parade because we'll see the ABC Christmas Day parade, but what about the fireworks and stuff. Do they just do the regular show until the official season starts? I would presume so, but it sure would be nice if they would phase some of that in while we're there.

I didn't realize we were missing so much or we could've extended our trip. :( Maybe it won't be as bad as I am expecting?

I'm not sure if anyone had answered your questions so I'd like to give you what info I have (as of last year). I was there from 11/9-11/12 last year. The majority of the decorations were up on our first day. I didn't notice too much going up after that, but of course you will be there the week before so I'm not positive as to their decoration timeline during that week. IASWH had a soft opening on 11/11 so we were able to ride it and see the gorgeous lights. They did not have any of the holiday shows (parade/ fireworks) going while we were there (we left mid-day on the 12th). We were able to get photos with Santa in DCA. We were happily surprised that most everything was decorated when we arrived. Hope this helps some.

We leave 6 weeks from today!! :cheer2::cheer2:

Does anyone know - we are having our Thanksgiving meal at Goofy's Kitchen. They have 2 different prices - brunch & dinner. Our reservation is at 3pm - is that considered brunch or dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter