Disneyfied! Two sisters return to WDW after 21 years. [micro mini update 11/30 p. 14]

teruterubouzu

DIS Veteran
Disneyfied! Two sisters return to WDW after 21 years.
August 15-18 2008

INTRODUCTION

It’s now been nearly three weeks since my sister and I got back from a wonderful vacation at Walt Disney World. The trip reports are my favorite thing about the DIS, but I wasn’t so sure I was worthy of contributing one myself. However, now that I’m back, I’ve come down with a serious case of post-Disney depression and I’m hoping that reliving the memories will help a bit.

First off, I’ll introduce the cast of characters. It's just me and my little sister.

Coincidentally, the first photo I could find of me and my little sister features a 3-and-a-half-year-old version of me sporting a pair of Mickey Mouse Club ears. The photo was taken when my parents brought my wee little sister back from the hospital. I look a bit apprehensive because I wasn’t so sure I wanted a sibling. The story goes that I asked my parents if I could have a cat instead. The funny thing is that I don't really like cats now (sorry cat fanciers!), but my sister and I are the best of friends.

Along the way a wonderful little brother was added to the mix. Our family of five made a couple of trips to Walt Disney World in the 80s. I still remember how exciting it was to fly over Orlando and see all of the houses with vivid blue swimming pools. We stayed with very welcoming relatives who lived in a suburb close to all of the Orlando action. I fell in love with Walt Disney World on these trips. The rest of my family did too. Our play room proudly sported a map of EPCOT Center for many years and my little brother loved his vinyl Figment figurines. I have great memories of our family vacations, but unfortunately, very few photographs. I hope they turn up again. The only snapshot I could find showing one of us enjoying our vacation is this silly one of my sister at Liberty Square. I’m guessing it’s from the ’85 trip due to the neon pink socks!

These same Orlando relatives made their way to the west coast in the 90’s, and my sister and I, along with a very dear friend, made a trip to visit them in Los Angeles in 1995. Of course one of our stops had to be Disneyland! Don’t ask me why, but I almost derailed that visit and instead lobbied for Universal Studios. Luckily, M and our friend overruled me.

I made an unfortunate fashion decision that day and wore a dress in colors very similar to those of a Disneyland parking lot employee. It was sort of embarrassing.

Here’s a shot of my sister and our friend at Disneyland.

We had a great day at the Happiest Place on Earth and we all purchased some sort of silly headgear to give to a friend as a souvenir. Here’s a shot commemorating the occasion.

I’m the brunette in pink and my sister's the blonde in the cowboy hat. You can see more photos from that day in this flickr set.

I remained a closeted Disney fan for many years, but in most ways, my Disney fascination lay dormant. Sure, I fiercely defended the fact that our local contemporary art museum held a Disney-themed exhibition (the accompanying book is amazing, by the way), or my eyes would light up when I’d find a Disney-related post on Metafilter or Boing Boing. The one thing I didn’t do was visit the parks. I traveled to many places during these years – Scotland, England, France and Japan. I pondered a visit to Disneyland Paris, but scratched it, and didn’t even think much about trying to make my way to Tokyo Disneyland during my two trips to its home country.

Then I discovered the DIS. It sounds stupidly nostalgic, but I still remember that day. It was March of 2007 and we had celebrated my birthday with my family. During our lunch it became very apparent that my mom’s memory issues were becoming serious. I had known about them for awhile, but this was the first time where I truly understood the full severity of the problem. It wasn’t the happiest of celebrations. I got home from the restaurant that afternoon and, needing an escape, turned on the television. The Travel Channel was playing one of their Disney marathons and I quickly became absorbed.

After it was over, I was still hungry for more Disney and I remembered a message board where I had heard about having DVC and going to MK with the DDP, but paying OOP, and, after a bit of googling, made my way here to the Disboards. Shortly thereafter, I registered and posted a bit, but mostly lurked. I’ve loved reading along with everyone’s descriptions of their vacations, planning spreadsheets, angst about dining plans and all of the other things that make this place so useful. The Dis has been a great escape for me.

The one downside was that a monster was born. I became OBSESSED with all things Walt Disney World. My Disney fascination quickly became the butt of good-natured jokes with my family and boyfriend, but they all knew deep down why I needed this escape. I really really really wanted to find a way to get back to Walt Disney World, but it just didn’t seem like it was going to happen just yet.

Then one night this July, my little sister called me and said she was looking at packages on Expedia and wondered if just maybe I would want to go to Disney World with her in the next week or so. I quickly exclaimed that if one were to go to Walt Disney World, then one needed to stay on property, but offered up a couple of other alternatives. We talked a bit more about it, but I wasn’t so sure about making such a last minute plan. We both decided to do more research and then discuss it in the next day or two.

Obviously, we did decide to go. I’ll continue on with the pre-trip planning and trip report in my next post.

Index
Introduction (you're reading it)
After Much Waffling, The Decision Gets Made
Pre-Trip Saga Continues
And so it begins. (we finally get there)
We Go On (first night at Epcot)
It's all pure magic, wrapped up in pixie dust! (Magic Kingdom Welcome Show)
"...and then we'll sing!" (Magic Kingdom Part II)
Pinocchio had pretty nice legs for a real boy (Magic Kingdom Part III)
Spoiler alert! (Magic Kingdom Video)
The Annals of Adventureland (Magic Kingdom Part IV)
Are, are these characters auto.....erotica? (Magic Kingdom Part V)
Monorail!!! (A short break from the MK)
Shamefaced micro mini update

Great start and very entertaining - you have a great sense of humor and it really comes through! :thumbsup2

Looking forward to reading more ... I'll be lurking! :goodvibes

Continuing on from my last post…

Considering my complete and total Disney dorkdom, I was surprisingly unsure about taking my sister up on her offer of accompanying me on a trip to Walt Disney World. I think it was just the shock of realizing it might actually get to happen. And, after having read the Dis for all these months, it just seemed completely contrary to the extreme planning ideals that most Disers hold dear. What about ADRs, and trip countdowns and all of that? It would also mean I’d have to buy a swimsuit. Eww.

We did agree that we both desperately needed a vacation. It had been a tough year of dealing with parental health issues and all manner of job-related nonsense. And, she really wanted a last hurrah before she started teaching again in the fall. I was worried my boyfriend would be hurt I was going without him, but he was incredibly supportive of the idea. Let’s just say that my stress level was probably wearing on him a bit.

I decided not to turn to the brilliant minds of $cientology in search of a cure for my stress, and instead took a look at the crowd forecasts on the touring plan site. Yikes! 7s and 8s for the duration of the time we’d be there. I relayed this information to my sister and suggested maybe we should consider other destinations.

My sister and I set up a time to discuss what we wanted to do. It came down to two possibilities.

1. Walt Disney World
2. Washington DC

I had pretty much talked myself out of going to WDW, due to the crowds and heat, but decided to use the wisdom of the Dis to get some second opinions. I posted a poll and 56 people responded. There were only two naysayers. Hmm…

We madly scoured all of the travel sites. I wasn’t finding much at WDW, but Washington DC had the amazing looking Donovan House. We were also a bit worried about the $$$ involved with WDW (tickets, airport transportation, etc.).

Then we pushed the trip dates back a little bit. It really would have been tough for me work-wise to take off on such short notice. We then noticed that the Dolphin had some pretty decent rates during the time we wanted to go and had the added benefit of being on property, and within walking distance of our beloved EPCOT. The only Disney hotel option we could find was the All Star Sports. I’m no snob, but I really didn’t want to stay at a hotel that people shorten the name down to ASSport.

So, then we came to the night when my sister and I were going to finalize and book our trip. We decided to plot out our options in a spreadsheet and compare costs. We ended up finding that even with the extra costs of buying the park tickets, the two trips weren’t really that far apart in price. Admittedly, we did fudge the numbers a bit by thinking we would skip the Mears shuttle and take the city bus. :rolleyes1

So, we made our choice. We are history nerds and would have very much enjoyed a trip to our nation's capital, but WE’RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD! (Yes, we actually said that. I may have even scared my downstairs neighbors by jumping up and down.)

This got longer than I intended, so I’ll finish up the trip preparations in my next update.

ASSport!!!LOL!!! Thanks, I'm reading at work and had to hold in the giggles. Can't wait to read more.

Continuing on with the pre-trip saga started in my first two posts…

When I last left you it was August 4th and my sister and I had just booked our trip. We would be flying down to Orlando on American Airlines, very early in the morning on Friday, August 15, staying at the Walt Disney World Dolphin and returning the evening of Monday the 18th.

This didn’t leave much time for all of the pre-trip planning that I am wont to do. Luckily, my Disboards obsession paid off and I felt like I was already very prepared. I knew every acronym, had read many a menu and had even saved a map to guide us to the most magical Wishes viewing locations.

The main task I had to take care of before the trip was a lot of shopping. At the top of my list was the most hated of purchases, a swim suit. I hadn’t been in a swimsuit for quite a few years and though the Dolphin’s grotto pool was beckoning me, I really dreaded having to shop for one. So I made my way to the place where I’d hopefully find the best selection -- the loved and feared Mall of America. Swimsuits aren’t high on most people’s shopping lists in August, but I was hopeful I’d be able to find something. I struck out at Macy’s, where everything was on clearance and you only found things like a size 18 top that matched with a size 0 string bikini bottom. Nordstrom and Bloomingdale’s didn’t have many choices. I suppose I could have gone to the swimsuit only shop, but I didn’t remember they had one at the time (duh, it’s the Mall of America). That left me with Sears. I don’t know about you, but I was traumatized as a fashion conscious teen, by my parent’s mean fascination with making me buy my back to school clothes at that store. Now I don’t know why I could have possibly had a problem with their clothes. I mean, take a gander at these lovelies:

I remember that I didn’t even want to be seen carrying shopping bags from that place. Such a brat!

However, traumatic memories aside, I soldiered on and went to Sears and actually found a suit there that didn’t make me feel totally embarrassed. Woo hoo! I quickly wrapped up the rest of my list and then went home to tough it out through those last few painful days of work.

I was able to leave the office a bit early the night before we left and came home to check in for our flights and download the park itineraries I had carefully pulled together from the touring plans site. I printed all of this off, along with our Mears shuttle reservation (yes, I gave up on the Lynx bus idea pretty quickly). I also decided to save most of this stuff to my cute little iPhone; so that I’d have it at the ready should I lose my giant envelope of trip confirmation/itinerary wonderfulness.

I don't worship at the church of Steve Jobs, but it made me feel like a real life CommuniCore exhibit, having all of that information readily accessible through a touch screen interface. I suppose you could do the same thing with a Blackberry, but I use one of those for work, and I think the iPhone has a better interface for browsing through photos and email messages.

It was now the night before my trip to Walt Disney World and I was way too excited to sleep. I stayed up very late finishing my packing and watching the Olympic gymnastics competition. Somehow, I eventually nodded off.

We’ll get to the actual trip part of my trip report in the next post. Thanks for reading!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter