Disney Y.E.S. Program

KibbyCat, Thank You! The review will help me prepare my 12 year old for the class in October.

Kibbycat -- thank you for the thorough review of Captivating Moments -- my dd12 is taking it tomorrow! :)

DS9 and I attended Disney's Ocean Discoveries this week. He doesn't have any particular interest in marine studies- this class just fit our schedule, to be honest. That said, he had a great time! The class is almost entirely indoors, which was a huge plus for us. We were split into separate groups, ours had 17 people total- kids and adults.

The kids learned mostly about sea turtles and how to protect them. They discussed fishing nets and made and presented their own (mini) fishing nets, and sorted marbles picked up in a net to show how few fish we keep and how many others get caught in the net.

They played a game where the kids were sea turtles and parents were predators or other items dangerous to them (litter, for example). Then they learned about how sea turtles eat and used chopsticks and chickpeas to bring that point home (sea turtles are opportunistic feeders, the chopsticks made it so it was harder to pick up the chickpeas). Then we rode Nemo.

After Nemo, we checked out the manatees and then discussed the "Food Web" (as opposed to the food chain, to show how everything is intertwined). There was also a portion of the class where we got a list of fish in the aquarium and checked them off as we saw them, and then the kids had a little quiz where they identified them from pictures.

DS9 loved it and said he would gladly take another class in the future. I hope that helps anyone considering this class!

Thank you! DD and DS are taking this class on the 17th of this month and I hadn't seen a review of it yet.

We got our confirmation today!

You guys are right, I just talked to Dave from the Y.E.S. program. He is SUPER nice!

I just called him to see if I might be able to "squeeze" :crowded: my 13 yr old into the Production Arts class on Oct 17th. But no such luck. :sad:

Oh well, maybe next time. We're still excited to be going for a last minute trip though.

I'm only seeing through the end of the year on the YES Program site. Am I doing something wrong when looking?

I'm posting my experience for the benefit of anyone looking for this answer later, as I was, before I called Student Guest Services (who seems to be a conference and seminars company, contracted by Disney).

I am cancelling our family trip, which included Homeschool Days and discount park tickets. The tickets were refundable, not a complete refund, as supposedly happened a few times for various reasons in the past.

The money is refundable minus an 8% administration charge. I do not know whether that is the case when up to 10 days or less remains untill your class, as the site has said, on the group leaders page, that the money is refundable if requested in writing, up untill ten days to the event.

I was told that next year's class structure would be so different, and the pricing so different, that it was not possible to transfer the fees over to a future class, even January HS day on the 25th,
unless that substitute class was within this same year period.

Some up to the minute FYI, for any who will be juggling the decision as I was.
Enjoy the great blessing of this program as is, while it is!

I'm posting my experience for the benefit of anyone looking for this answer later, as I was, before I called Student Guest Services (who seems to be a conference and seminars company, contracted by Disney).

I am cancelling our family trip, which included Homeschool Days and discount park tickets. The tickets were refundable, not a complete refund, as supposedly happened a few times for various reasons in the past.

The money is refundable minus an 8% administration charge. I do not know whether that is the case when up to 10 days or less remains untill your class, as the site has said, on the group leaders page, that the money is refundable if requested in writing, up untill ten days to the event.

I was told that next year's class structure would be so different, and the pricing so different, that it was not possible to transfer the fees over to a future class, even January HS day on the 25th,
unless that substitute class was within this same year period.

Some up to the minute FYI, for any who will be juggling the decision as I was.
Enjoy the great blessing of this program as is, while it is!

UGH!!! That's what I was afraid of. We're already making back up plans because of all the rumors. Thanks for sharing your information.

We took the 'How things Move' class in the MK last Friday and it was really great! I wanted to send a note to YES about how much we enjoyed it. Does anyone have an email address for them? Or is it best to call and tell them we liked it? I am afraid of calling and not getting someone who matters when I tell them!

For anyone taking this class - here is a little review - we met at the MK outside the turnstiles at 8:15 - there were 24 kids in the class i think and then they got split up into 2 groups (they were aiming for an older and younger age group split). DS was originally in the younger group at age 6, but was moved to the older group later in the sorting..) We entered the park before it opened and the kids were asked to find something that was moving when they walked down mainstreet...all of the things that moved were discussed when we got to the castle...then they headed over to a shady spot in fantasyland to first look at what causes things to move (batteries, sun, wind, food, electricity, etc) and then they looked at the things that moved - a spinning top, pnuematic lever, solar powered toy car etc) and related the two...and how things move in a circular motion or front/back...

This prompted our first ride as soon as the park opened (we were lined up there shortly after they opened the park - onto Dumbo - to see/hear its pnuematic arm work...when that finished another shady spot was found near the train station to learn about how disney designs rides with stories and the kids were asked to think of a story and draw their own ride..after that, they were given a bag of 'stuff' to make a new ride for some marbles...this hands on activity was great and they learned about how things gravity, speed, and even a little team work as they all tried to put their pieces of tubing together for a giant marble roller coaster...

With that, they were rewarded with their next ride - on Goofys Coaster...DS really liked experiencing 'gravity at work!' ha!

After that, there was one more activity to learn about one more thing that makes things move - and that was of course magnets - in preparation for their final ride on the people mover! DS loved taking DH on it again later to show him the magnets and that the more magnets, the faster it went..

The class ended there - at about 10:50...overall it was a great experience and we would do it again in a heartbeat!

This is exactly what I needed to be able to bring this up with my husband! We have been to WDW many times and I am always looking for a way to add to the magic for my DD(8) and DS(6)!
I saw on another post that there typically are not classes held in April, but does anyone know about February? Looking for individual enrollment. Thanks.

We took the 'How things Move' class in the MK last Friday and it was really great! I wanted to send a note to YES about how much we enjoyed it. Does anyone have an email address for them? Or is it best to call and tell them we liked it? I am afraid of calling and not getting someone who matters when I tell them!

For anyone taking this class - here is a little review - we met at the MK outside the turnstiles at 8:15 - there were 24 kids in the class i think and then they got split up into 2 groups (they were aiming for an older and younger age group split). DS was originally in the younger group at age 6, but was moved to the older group later in the sorting..) We entered the park before it opened and the kids were asked to find something that was moving when they walked down mainstreet...all of the things that moved were discussed when we got to the castle...then they headed over to a shady spot in fantasyland to first look at what causes things to move (batteries, sun, wind, food, electricity, etc) and then they looked at the things that moved - a spinning top, pnuematic lever, solar powered toy car etc) and related the two...and how things move in a circular motion or front/back...

This prompted our first ride as soon as the park opened (we were lined up there shortly after they opened the park - onto Dumbo - to see/hear its pnuematic arm work...when that finished another shady spot was found near the train station to learn about how disney designs rides with stories and the kids were asked to think of a story and draw their own ride..after that, they were given a bag of 'stuff' to make a new ride for some marbles...this hands on activity was great and they learned about how things gravity, speed, and even a little team work as they all tried to put their pieces of tubing together for a giant marble roller coaster...

With that, they were rewarded with their next ride - on Goofys Coaster...DS really liked experiencing 'gravity at work!' ha!

After that, there was one more activity to learn about one more thing that makes things move - and that was of course magnets - in preparation for their final ride on the people mover! DS loved taking DH on it again later to show him the magnets and that the more magnets, the faster it went..

The class ended there - at about 10:50...overall it was a great experience and we would do it again in a heartbeat!

We took the Ocean Discoveries class on September 19th.

We were planning to attempt entering through the International Gateway, but ended up taking a taxi to the front of Epcot (from the Boardwalk). It cost $10 plus tip, and saved us some time and a lot of footsteps.

We met near the flagpole where we checked in with a CM and waited for all the other families to arrive. We were given lanyards with a card at the bottom identifying us as being with a youth program. We were also given nametags. We were split into three groups. Our group had nine students, plus their chaperones. DD was 9 turning 10 and all the other kids in the group appeared to be within a year of the same age. We were given headsets and the instructor explained how to use them. Easy peasy. She also explained that she would be giving little clips for participation and correct answers, and the students were to attach them to their lanyards.

Walking into the park the instructor chatted about different things, asked some general questions about sea creatures and conservation, and gave clips to the students who answered.

Once inside the Seas we participated in quite a few activities. It appeared to me that each group did the same activities but at different times, so we weren't all in the same place at the same time. We passed the other groups a few times but never ended up all together at any point. Every student received a clip.

The students were given a page with descriptions of sea creatures that can be found in the big aquarium. They were permitted to work alone, with their parent, in groups, however they wanted. They were supposed to try to identify each animal listed on the page based on a written description, and find it in the tank. I thought it was interesting and enjoyable. DD liked it.

Then the students sat on benches while the instructor held up pictures of sea creatures, and they were supposed to tell the name of the creature. Some students are more outspoken than others. DD is one of the others. The instructor gave clips to the kids who answered correctly (and to their sibling/friend, even if they didn't answer, for some reason). DD answered one question correctly and the instructor did not give her a clip. I guess she just forgot, but it caused some hurt feelings for DD.

We got a few minutes to check out the aquariums downstairs in the Seas building, but I'm not sure if that was planned. I think we made a quick side trip because one of the students asked about those tanks.

We played a game in a "backstage" area that was really just a classroom, and it was a lot of fun. I'm not going to spoil the surprise by telling the details. Trust me, it was cute and fun. Each student got a clip at the end.

We went into the Seas VIP lounge where we played another fun game. Again, I'm not giving details lol.

We rode the Nemo ride -- there was a line, so the CM let us in through the handicapped entrance and we bypassed the entire line. Basically a "fastpass" and we didn't have to take the group outside the building to enter the line.

Then we went to an area near the restrooms, sat on the floor and participated in two more activities. First, each student got to scoop a net full of stuff out of a box, then sort it into different groups based on what they "caught" (most of it was different sized glass stones, but there were some plastic sea creatures in there too).

Then the instructor gave out boxes of materials (paper clips, netting, O rings, pipe cleaners, etc), not every box was the same. She explained a problem fisherman have with their nets, and told the kids that she wanted them to design new nets that might eliminate that problem. Then each student had a few minutes to present his/her idea. She praised all the students and they all really did have some good ideas. This was a little frustrating because the boxes didn't necessarily contain all the materials we thought we needed to build our net, but no big deal. We did our best.

At the end we returned our lanyards, the parents were given a short survey asking us to rate different aspects of the program, the kids were given bookmarks, and we said our goodbyes. We finished at 11:35.

Overall, we liked this program much better than Synergy in Science. It wasn't perfect, but we leaned new things and it was interesting. There really weren't any boring parts, we kept busy the entire time.

ETA: I might have missed that part, but I didn't see the "winning" student, the one with the most clips at the end, get anything for that.

ETA: I might have missed that part, but I didn't see the "winning" student, the one with the most clips at the end, get anything for that.

I also took this class with my DS. Description is exactly what I remember. I do not remember a "winning" student receiving anything either.

I purchased YES tickets for my entire family for varying lengths of time because we I have people coming in on different days, etc. Since then we have decided to return to WDW in February so it makes more sense (we've crunched the numbers so it is safe to assume this is indeed the best deal) for at least one of us to go ahead and get an annual pass due to parking fees (staying offsite both times) and the TIW card.

If we decide to extend our stay a few days past our original dates (but within the window of time allowed by our YES tickets) can one of my party use the unused ticket (as at least one of us will now have an annual pass) even though they have already fully utilized the days allowed on the other ticket that we purchased?

I've looked at the tickets and there are no names on the tickets so I am assuming that this would not be a problem. What do you all think?

In the past this would have worked. Not sure about what the new tickets will be like. If there are different prices for adults and kids that might make a difference and they may be "named."

Others might know more about the situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter