Disney World Security and Underwire Bras

Hi. I was just there, and I wear underwire bras, jeans with buttons, metal jewelry, a fitbit, etc. They check through your bags then a security person comes over and asks you to "step over here for a moment for extra screening." You place your bag on a table, walk through a single metal detector, get your bag and go along. Nothing I had set off the alarm bells so I believe you would be fine with underwire bras as well. However, I'm not extremely well endowed.

Sigh....my bras always set off the airport detector, and I get a pat down. Fun times. I even wore a t-strapped sports bra this last time thinking it had more material than wire, but nope, still set it off, and still got the pat down. I guess they think I'm hiding something in there?

I have never had a bra set off a metal detector, both the full standup ones and the hand ones. One of the sites I go to for work has extra screening for a few areas and visitors get selected much more often (makes sense the non visitors that they see every day probably are less of a threat then those of us that come down once a year and they don't remember seeing before)

My bracelet and my ring have set off the hand detectors but generally dont' do the large ones.

The airport scanners (not the metal detectors the new ones) go off with anything it thinks bunches too much, my bra/boobs have never done that despite being quite large but things that have are my fitbit, my bracelet, my hair (if its really frizzy in a ponytail or in a bun... but I understand as I really could hide something in all that hair when its like that) and once my blazer that I probably should have taken off but didn't think about.

My underwire bra's never go off, but the titanium rods sometimes do. I'll just assume I need to bring a doctors note.

Just back. I was selected 5 times at 3 parks in 8 days to go through the metal detectors. I have underwires and it did not set off the metal detectors.

I never saw anyone "wanded" at any of the parks. I would think the wand is the back up option for having a reason to not go through the metal detector.
My dd got the 'special treatment' twice in WDW a few weeks ago!!! It seems to be really random though.

I wear underwire bras...but they are mostly plastic underwire nowadays. I haven't set off a detector in years. Well, not because of my underwear anyway!!!

OP, what's the issue if you do set off the metal detector? As long as you are not trying to get a banned object into the parks, you'll be fine.

Just back. I was selected 5 times at 3 parks in 8 days to go through the metal detectors. I have underwires and it did not set off the metal detectors.

I never saw anyone "wanded" at any of the parks. I would think the wand is the back up option for having a reason to not go through the metal detector.

I set off the walk-thru detector at DHS last week.
Then, they used the wand to locate the item that set it off.
Standard pricedure stuff.

I have a metal hip and never set off the alarm at WDW, so I think you and your bra are golden :)

I try not to wear underwire bra when I fly but mine has set off the metal detected in the ER at the hospital I work at and the Statue of Liberty - although that detected was set off by jewelry too. It was very sensitive.

Yes, it's a real question. I'm assuming the wands work somewhat similar to how metal detectors work at the airports. I usually do not wear an underwire, but then change into one after passing through security. I will probably do the same.
I wear nothing but underwire and have never set off a metal detector with it. Not at the airport, ball game, or Disney.

By the way, the only thing that sat off the detector at Disney was my Minnie watch face slider for the MB

OP, what's the issue if you do set off the metal detector? As long as you are not trying to get a banned object into the parks, you'll be fine.
Glad I am not the only one with this question. Even if my bra did set it off I'm trying to figure out why it would matter

...I'm trying to figure out why it would matter
Maybe OP is sensitive to people gawking while they use the wand.

Rest assured, OP, very few get to meet the metal detector (unless you enter Epcot's IG).

Maybe OP is sensitive to people gawking while they use the wand.

Rest assured, OP, very few get to meet the metal detector (unless you enter Epcot's IG).
Guess I'm just too old to worry about anyone watching

I fly frequently for work. I've never had my underwire set off the detector but when I've worn jeans, the metal zipper has. Two trips with my crotch getting a pat down was enough for me to stop wearing jeans.

My underwire hasn't set off the metal detectors for a very long time, but only one of the rivets on my jeans did (back pocket, right side. Random!). After getting the very detailed pat-down, I wear skirts or dresses when traveling now.

I wonder what the TSA millimeter wave scanner monitors think about all the "smiley faces" they see every day?

Most airports now send most people through the full body scanner instead of a metal detector. Are you talking about those when referring to airports? (I always opt for a patdown instead. They don't use metal detectors on passengers who opt out.)

I didn't risk wearing underwires the days I visited attractions or government buildings in DC, but my watch and jewelry never set their metal detectors off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter