Disney World in December (Christmas season)

DebbieB said:
I've gone a few times at the beginning of December. Weather definitely varies. I've had trips where everyday was in the 80's, others where it was never warmer than 60's. Others in between. I remember one time it was a high of 48 on our arrival day. I just got back today from a cool week, only one day in the 70's (Tuesday). Sunday was only in the 50's. I'm reconsidering my Dec 8 to 13 trip, I don't want to risk another cold trip.

We are from Massachusetts. 60's in December sounds wonderful to me...LOL!

We are from Massachusetts. 60's in December sounds wonderful to me...LOL!

I'm from PA and used to cold weather also. If the sun is out, it's not bad during the day, you may just need a jacket. If it's cloudy and windy, it's not comfortable, especially after dark.

I'm from PA and used to cold weather also. If the sun is out, it's not bad during the day, you may just need a jacket. If it's cloudy and windy, it's not comfortable, especially after dark.

I am from MD. What part of PA are you from?

You have been given all of the advice and offered details I would offer... I just wanted to pipe in and say that Disney is December is the ABSOLUTE best time to go!! :)

I am so glad to see this thread. We have always wanted to have a Disney Christmas but were scared of the crowds. This year is super special for us. My daughter's high school chorus is singing the weekend before Christmas at DTD! So of course I just booked our Christmas vacation, Dec 19 - 26th. This is our 3rd time to the world and we can't wait. Hoping the weather cooperates and we can swim some. We will be at the POP. Hope they don't mind us putting up a table top tree.

I am so glad to see this thread. We have always wanted to have a Disney Christmas but were scared of the crowds. This year is super special for us. My daughter's high school chorus is singing the weekend before Christmas at DTD! So of course I just booked our Christmas vacation, Dec 19 - 26th. This is our 3rd time to the world and we can't wait. Hoping the weather cooperates and we can swim some. We will be at the POP. Hope they don't mind us putting up a table top tree.

That's exciting, congrats!

I am hoping to convince my husband to go back to Disney and would love to see it all done up for Christmas. I have seen people posting about a Mickey Christmas party in Magic Kingdom, and how it is a separate admission. Does anyone know if there is a website I can go to and get information about this?

I'm taking my 2 year old for our first December trip from 2-12. We're staying at Animal Kingdom Villas right now but I might try to switch to Bay Lake Towers not sure yet. I'm super excited to see it for Christmas as I've been to Disneyland many times when it's decorated but not to WDW for decorations yet.

Thanks so much everyone for your answers! I'll admit, the weather issue is kind of scaring me, lol! When we went the end of September/ beginning of October last year, I found it unbearably hot! But "chilly" doesn't sound too exciting either! I would love to go when it's warm enough to get sun by the pool but you don't feel like you're in a sauna! But no cold! Isn't there a nice happy medium like that? ;P And if so, any time during Christmas season? (I really want it all, don't I? I know I'll have to give up something! Lol!!)
Either way, I really am excited!! ;)

Hi there

I've only ever been at Xmas time. I'm guessing you are from Canada so the comparison that the weather is like an early British summer doesn't mean much to you.

The atmosphere is fabulous, the place is all decorated. If you have a car you can also drive out to Celebration town and see the "snowfall" in the evening (again, guessing if you are from Canada, you are used to real snow ;) )

If you are staying in a villa make sure you get the pool heated though.

What part of Canada are you from?

Alberta, so it gets pretty cold here! ;) I'm thinking my idea of "chilly" definitely could be different from others on here who are more used to Florida weather. My sister visited DW at the end of February and thought it was chilly though, so that caused me to wonder even more about December weather!

I am so happy I found this thread! My husband and I usually go to Disneyland the week after thanksgiving (best time to go there if anyone is interested ;)) and we are seriously considering a trip to WDW for the same time this year. Kind of an all out trip for us before we start a family next year and have to deal with stroller parking, lol! All of this great info has me convinced to lobby for WDW this time around.

I am so happy I found this thread! My husband and I usually go to Disneyland the week after thanksgiving (best time to go there if anyone is interested ;)) and we are seriously considering a trip to WDW for the same time this year. Kind of an all out trip for us before we start a family next year and have to deal with stroller parking, lol! All of this great info has me convinced to lobby for WDW this time around.

Welcome! You should definitely come and experience all 4 parks and all the holiday decorations and activities plus resorts.

We took our first December trip this past year to celebrate by birthday. We arrive in the evening on Dec. 6th and flew home in the evening on Dec. 15th. It was a wonderful trip and definitely not as crowded as I would have anticipated at all (especially since we arrived the same day that the new Fantasyland Expansion opened, as well as the redesigned Test Track in Epcot). The parks did seem increasingly crowded the closer we got to Christmas, though.

The temps were warmest when we first arrived (in the low- to mid-80s if I remember correctly). I was fine in jeans and just a t-shirt until the sun went down and then I needed at least a fleece or sweatshirt. As our week went on, though, the temps seemed to dip so that even during the day we needed extra layers.

I loved all of the holiday decorations around the resorts and parks. We did not do the MVMCP (hard-ticket event in Magic Kingdom on certain nights), but really enjoyed the Osborne Family Lights in Hollywood Studios. We also we out to Fort Wilderness to walk around and see the decorations out there, as well as at many of the resort hotels (Beach & Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, and Contemporary).

I would not hesitate to go back that same week (second week in December) again in the future. It really was magical being there in December with all of the festive holiday cheer :)

Welcome to the Dis!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter