Disney World in December (Christmas season)

Christmas at Disney is beyond words. I love everything about it. If you can go early December it should be perfect. MVMCP is an extra expense but so very worth the price.

We've gone a number of years during the beginning of December. It's fabulous!
Osbourne Lights - a must!
Also try to take in some of the resort decorations. We loved GF and the giant gingerbread house that they sold treats out of.
We love the party and did it very year we were there.
Be aware that depending on the exact dates, the beginning of December is generally when Pop Warner football and cheer are there. We've never had an issue with it but they generally overtake the All Stars, we stay CBR.
Crowds are totally manageable.
Weather - toss a coin. We're from Boston so not much fazes us. One year it was shorts everyday. The next year it was jeans, a sweatshirt, and gloves one day and shorts the next. We would be the ones at the bus stop at 7am in shorts and hoodie in 40 degree weather knowing it would be 65 by lunch. We'd get some looks and once you mention you're from New England people understand. It's when I pack the heaviest because I need to account for all possibilities. We just came back from Universal three weeks ago and it was jeans and sweatshirts two days, then hot. I leave for Disney in two weeks and will pack a little bit of everything. You just never know.
Highly recommend the early December.

krd315 said:
When do the decorations and events like MVMCP and Osborne lights start? We were thinking about Thanksgiving week next year but don't want to miss the Holiday season.
We usually go the first and second weeks of November and they have most of the lights and decorations up. We also attend the MVMCP, and see The Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights. I think one year we went to MVMCP as early as Nov 9. They will definitely be up by Thanksgiving.

I have been to WDW in almost every month of the year. Early December is one of my favorite times to go. Crowds are light and decorations are beautiful. Makes Disney even more magical. We took my MIL for her first ever trip at 65 years old during Christmas season and she absolutely loved it! Weather definitely varies though. I remember one year watching the candlelight processional with heavy coats, hats, and gloves and still being cold. But, if you have one cold day, you can pretty much count on a warm day too! Have a great trip!

Hello there! I lived in Orlando and worked for WDW for a few years. From experience, I can tell you that the weather can most definitely vary from Dec-Feb. However, the beginning of December (1st week) should bring you relatively warm weather. Probably around 70-80 Degrees F. during the day and cooler during the evening. I'm not a meteorologist but this is what I remember from when I lived down there. However, on a few occasions towards the end of December (and a quite a few times during Jan and Feb) I was wearing a winter coat.

*During the beginning of December you will only be able to see the special Christmas parade and fireworks at M.K. if you pay for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. I believe during the last few days leading up to up to Christmas you can see the parade and fireworks without admission to MVMCP.

I hope this helps!:smickey::smickey:

There is a special parade and fireworks during MVMCP. It is not the same parade as the afternoon parade. I believe it is the Christmas parade that they show on T.V.

Totally different parade and fireworks for the party. It is NOT the Christmas Day TV parade although some parts of the party parade do make up the TV parade.

For the "week" before Christmas day, the party parade (party's are over then) will become the "day parade", usually double day parade, in place of Celebrate A Dream Come True.

To the Original Poster, try to do MK about the Wednesday after the Christmas Day parade taping (check the schedules for the actual dates) as the tree in Town Square does not go up until after that parade taping and depending on weather may not get up until Wednesday.

We've been in January the last couple of years and have decided to give early December a try this time around. Really psyched about seeing WDW all decked out for Xmas.

We've really liked going in January because the crowds are light and the weather, while a bit unpredictable, is generally wonderful when compared to the sweltering heat of the summer. I gather that the weather in early December is not quite as prone to be chilly, the crowds are even lighter PLUS you've got the Xmas decor. Can. Not. Wait.

Re weather, if it's anything like January, it's really just a matter of being prepared. Most days it's warm enough to wear shorts and a t-shirt or at least jeans and a t-shirt during the day, and I'll generally put on jeans and bring a windbreaker in the evenings in case it gets chilly. With that said, I've had both days that were quite warm and quite cool in the same trip, so it pays to make sure you have something on either end of the spectrum. If you're from Canada, though, I doubt it will get so cold that you couldn't handle it with an extra layer or two. :)

Totally different parade and fireworks for the party. It is NOT the Christmas Day TV parade although some parts of the party parade do make up the TV parade.

Thank you! I wasn't sure. The only time I did the party we called it "Mickey's Very Soggy Christmas Party" as it rained steadily the entire evening and both the parade and fireworks were cancelled, so I've never seen either.

When do the decorations and events like MVMCP and Osborne lights start? We were thinking about Thanksgiving week next year but don't want to miss the Holiday season.

almost everything will be up by thanksgiving.
The only thing is the story tellers do not come out until after thanksiving

One year we did spend Christmas at Disney. A memory our children will never forget! One surprise was watching them film the Christmas Parade for TV. They would redo sections of the parade over and over again - I was amazed at how everyone in the parade kept their enthusiasm levels UP. It is a great time of year at WDW - you will no doubt be making some great family memories :santa:

Thanks SO MUCH everyone! I would have replied sooner but have been caught up in a ton of stuff that hit my family all at once! You all are amazing! Such a wealth of info, I appreciate it! :thumbsup2
So if I understand right... the decorations go up little by little from the beginning of November on... and are "complete" by a few days after the Christmas Parade... which is Thanksgiving weekend?
I'd ideally like to go:
A. When all Christmas decorations are up
B. When weather is hopefully warmest for that time of year
C. During as low of a pricing season as possible for that time of year
D. Low crowds if possible.
For those preferences... is first week of December probably the "ideal" time?

Loving this thread because we will be there December 1-8th :cheer2:

I have been to DisneyLand at Christmastime several times, but never Disney World. So excited!

I've been to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, but not to MVMCP. Can anyone tell me what all happens at MVMCP?

I can't wait!!!! pixiedust:

Dee

CynBeth said:
We are doing a split stay between WL and CR.

We love our Home Resort Beach Club Villas but I have to say I did consider booking at Villas at WL. I'll bet it's so cozy at Christmas time. I can't wait to see Disney during the holiday season!!!

We went 10 years ago in early December and loved it. The crowds were manageable. The DVMCP was wonderful, best fireworks ever. We are going this December for 11 nights and staying on site at The Wilderness Lodge. Plan on attending the DVMCP again, seeing LaNouba, and, visiting the resorts besides park time.

Thanks SO MUCH everyone! I would have replied sooner but have been caught up in a ton of stuff that hit my family all at once! You all are amazing! Such a wealth of info, I appreciate it! :thumbsup2
So if I understand right... the decorations go up little by little from the beginning of November on... and are "complete" by a few days after the Christmas Parade... which is Thanksgiving weekend?

My understanding is the Christmas decorations will be complete before Thanksgiving. The taping of the Christmas parade is typically the first weekend in December. If I am mistaken I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

I'd ideally like to go:
A. When all Christmas decorations are up
B. When weather is hopefully warmest for that time of year
C. During as low of a pricing season as possible for that time of year
D. Low crowds if possible.
For those preferences... is first week of December probably the "ideal" time?

You can never tell for sure about the weather. In December you can have days where the high temps are in the 80's, or the 50's, or anywhere in between. Best to go prepared with clothing you can layer as it is often chilly in the morning then warm and sunny in the afternoon, so you will want to have layers you can remove.

But, I can tell you that early December typically has low prices and low crowds. Not as low crowds as there used to be, but still lower than many other times of the year. Crowd levels should be in the 1-3 range many days in certain parks.

The only thing to keep in mind is that Pop Warner football groups are usually there the first week of December. It doesn't seem to have a huge impact on the park experience except for the occasional group of squealing cheerleaders you might come across. But they generally stay at the All Stars, so you might want to avoid that resort during that time.

First two weeks of December is my favorite time to go!

We love our Home Resort Beach Club Villas but I have to say I did consider booking at Villas at WL. I'll bet it's so cozy at Christmas time. I can't wait to see Disney during the holiday season!!!

We plan to make time to resort hop again this trip. We liked the decorations at BC,YC, and BW as well as GF, Poly, CR, and WL. Before our last trip we had never been during the holiday season so all the resort decorations and the decorations at the parks were spectacular to us. We loved the Osbourne Lights and can't wait to see the CP again. It will be our first time seeing the MK tree and attending MVMCP. We don't have a home resort. This will be my 6th trip and we have stayed at a different resort each trip including offsite my second trip as a kid. This trip will be my second staying at CR which was my first ever resort. My husband never went to Disney with his family as a kid or as an adult before we were married. So far we have been alternating between deluxe and mod. We don't have kids unless you count the dog.

You will love Disney at Christmas time! We went a couple of years ago and just had a fantastic time. We did the Mickey Very Merry Christmas Party too and that was awesome.

I think our weather was a fluke. We went the second week in December and it was really really cold. I think we had a couple of days where the highs were only in the 40's. Luckily we brought warm clothes, hats, gloves, etc.

I would do it again in a heart beat!

Have a wonderful time!

The weather is really hard to predict as far as a specific week. The best advice is for Dec - Feb is to bring both shorts / t-shirts and jeans & sweatshirt or light jacket (also gloves & hat may be needed.) You can rent a locker to store all of your cold weather gear in for the evening if you're planning on staying after the sun goes down.

I live here and just to give an example -- a few weeks ago, there was cold snap and it was very, very cold for a few days. Then it warmed up for a few weeks and then this past weekend, I was at a hotel watching Wishes fireworks and it was cold and windy.

I went to one the parks a few weeks ago during the cold snap and it was bit of a pain to keep taking the jackets and hats/gloves off each time we went indoors.

I've had my annual pass since April and really enjoyed the Christmas decorations and extras (Osbourne lights although crowded, Candlelight & Storytellers at EPCOT.) I would recommend coming to Disney at least one time over the holidays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter