• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney World in December (Christmas season)

the first week of December typically has very low crowds (except for MK the day of taping the Christmas parade!). weather can be....anything! freezing (to us floridians! :) ) or very comfortably warm.

IIRC, the HS lights start the first weekend in December, but not positive about that. and if you are around when they are on - they are amazing!!

Christmas in the parks is wonderful!! :thumbsup2

What kind of wait times are we to expect Dec 8-13? We have never been at Christmas and we can not wait. We usually go in summer when crowds are 8-9 levels. Just curious as to what to expect. We always go for rope drop.

Thanks

We have gone the week after Thanksgiving (late Nov, early Dec) several times. It's just wonderful with all the Christmas decorations and special events. The weather can be a bit iffy. One year we had to wear several layers, North Face jackets, and gloves to be in the parks after dark. No pool days that year. Another year we were able to go to a water park because it was in the 80s. Being from Canada, you will probably be happy with the weather because it's usually pretty nice.

I was planning a trip for spring break this year, but we couldn't do it. We now have reservations for Thanksgiving week. It's a week earlier than we usually go, but the kids can't really miss school like they could in preschool. I"m still excited for the Christmas spirit.

What kind of wait times are we to expect Dec 8-13? We have never been at Christmas and we can not wait. We usually go in summer when crowds are 8-9 levels. Just curious as to what to expect. We always go for rope drop.

Thanks

we are going the same week. I expect crowds to be about the same as they are the last two weeks in August/Sept.

I have been "studying" Dec for the past two years--lol

I just booked our second trip for 2013 for December 8th-15th. We've never been this time of year either and I'm excited to see it all decorated for the holidays. We are bringing my cousin, his children and my aunt and uncle, none have ever been to Disney. I can't wait!

We're taking out first family WDW trip from Dec 7th-14th, staying at AKV. I am pumped about our trip!! :cool1:

I am starting to lean towards a Disney World trip in early December, but have a few questions about that time of year! I hope this is the right forum for these questions! :)

During December, do the Christmas lights come on every evening after dark, or do they only come on for the "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party"? (It's in Magic Kingdom, right?) If I understand right... you have to pay separate admission to stay in the park during that time and you get booted out when it begins? Or could you stay but just not ride any rides? Are there different parades that happen during the Christmas party as opposed to the ones during the daytime? I would really love to see Disney all lit up, I'm sure it's beautiful in person!

Does the Magic Kingdom still feel "Disney Magical" or does the Christmas atmosphere kind of take over? I love Christmas, but I also love the feeling of Magic Kingdom the way I think of it, which is kind of a "loaded with magic, hot summer vacation feel".

Does "It's a Small World" change to a Christmas theme the way Disneyland's does? I searched on the net but it always brings up Disneyland's Small World. I know it sounds silly, but my boys love the rides as they know them and I think they might be somewhat disappointed if the rides were totally different than usual, etc.

What's to be expected of the weather? I have heard it varies hugely! I'm wondering if it will likely be too cold to have a pool day at our hotel, etc. Is it warm enough to "sit out by the pool" or do people pretty much stay away from that in December? I'm from Canada, and part of the thrill of coming down there during the winter is being able to be warm, wear shorts, go swimming, etc. I saw photos of people wearing puffy winter jackets during the Christmas season and I was surprised! I'm assuming it was people who are from around the area, and not Canadians ;) but still. We went at the end of September last year and to me it felt deathly hot and humid (though I was thankful it was warm) and I figured that December might be a little more moderate. Does the temperature etc change THAT much by December? Maybe it would feel warm to us, and just not to those who live in the area? Or is it chilly to everyone? (any people from cold climates who have been to Orlando in December want to chime in?)

Thanks so much in advance, any opinions are totally appreciated!! :D

Hi :)

I'm sure at this point a lot of your questions have been answered but I just wanted to chime in anyway. My family has been 6 times in early December and it is our absolute favorite time to go! All of the beautiful Christmas decorations are up, but the Christmas crowds haven't gotten there yet :thumbsup2

Christmas Lights come on every night party or not party! And on the nights of the party you can still stay and watch the castle be lit up before the party! The castle in its Christmas lights is absoltely spectacular! You do need to purchase specal tickets for the party. There is a special parade during the Christmas party and I think its alittle less disney themed and more Christmas themed.

I am in the minority here but I don't think going to the Christmas party should be a priority. My family did it once and it wasn't horrible but we would never rush to do it again. There is not that much extra stuff that goes on besides the parade but it does get extra crowded. The night we went was horrible,the lines were so long that we only rode 1 or 2 rides and it was surprising because the rest of the trip we never waited in line longer than 30 minutes! I would say you should probably try it out once, but if you are concerned about the extra money or time or anything I would avoid it.

The Christmas decorations do not take away from the disney magic at all IMO They only add to it! I do not believe Small World changes but I could be wrong.

As for as weather, its a coin toss! The last time we went in December was 2011 and it was the perfect week weather wise! I think we had 1 day where we had to wear jeans and sweatshirts, but even that day it wasn't that cold. The rest of the week was perfect shorts and t-shirt weather! Now, compare that to in 2010 when we froze for a week! We could not go swimming and we wore hats and gloves to the park! So, 1 year made a huge difference! Overall though I think we usually have warm weather that week. Definetely pack for anything though! That goes really for anytime from October-March! Oh, I can say though that we have gotten little rain in early December. The past few times we had no rain at all during the first week!

We are planning to go the first week of December and I want to avoid the party. There are just the two of us and we aren't interested in meeting characters, watching parades or drinking hot chocolate. :sad2:

Do they still have the Wishes fireworks or some equivalent fireworks on party night? We will be at the WL and might try to see them from outside the park some night.

We are planning to go the first week of December and I want to avoid the party. There are just the two of us and we aren't interested in meeting characters, watching parades or drinking hot chocolate. :sad2:

Do they still have the Wishes fireworks or some equivalent fireworks on party night? We will be at the WL and might try to see them from outside the park some night.

They have special fireworks the night of the party and I would highly recommend still trying to watch them from somewhere if you are staying at WL. Piece of advice though, the only place at WL where you can see them is at the boat dock so I would go to the beach at the Poly or GF or go to the Contemporary to watch!

I have always wanted to do an early December trip to experience the Holiday Magic and lower than normal crowds. Our school schedule makes that nearly impossible but I am considering it for next year.

We went the week after Christmas through New Years in 2010 and it was the most amazing and the worst trip at the same time! The Christmas lights/decorations in the parks, Holiday Wishes, and OSBORNE LIGHTS are AMAZING but the crowds and the RUDE people were horrible. We will never go that week again. We have been in February, March, June, July, August and October and without a doubt, I would rather be there in the drastic heat of July with those crowds than the week between Christmas and New Years. No contest!

All of my friends who have been during the first 2 weeks of December say it is fantastic. Highly recommended!

We were there Dec. 2012. It was our first time at Christmas and it was wonderful. Everything was beautiful and we had a ball. It was in the 80's all week ---only had one cool day. Just know that 55 degrees and very windy means it is very cold at Disney. You would need a coat, gloves, etc.

We made this a very relaxed trip and got to do a lot of things. We resort hopped to see the georgeous decorations ---- we slept in a couple of times ---we did rope drop some and then back in the afternoon for a rest. We ate at several new (for us) places and really enjoyed that. We had fun talking to a lot of CM's and hearing their stories. There was a CM in his late 70's who was a greeter of sorts at Yacht Club. We had our anniversary buttons on and while talking to him he told us he had been married for 55 years to the same woman, however, she passed away from cancer. He reconnected with a high school classmate through the internet. He lived in California and she lived in Orlando. They visited each other a few times. Anyway --- they ended up getting married and he moved to Orlando. They have been married 9 years. It was an amazing story and you could feel the love he had for his first wife and for his new "bride".

Our entire week was like this and we have declared it the best vacation ever. Do not worry about crowds or weather. It will be crowded, but you can still have a blast. Of course, we are older and were not as concerned about rides but we were able to get on all the ones we wanted to. We rode the new TT two times. It was so much fun. We competed against each other the second time to see who could design the best car.

I believe now that we will always go around Christmas time. I hope your vacation is as magical as ours was.

We absolutely love going at the beginning of December. You get all the wonderful Holiday experiences without the crowds. Now to answer some of your questions....

1) They do light the castle every night even if it's a MVMCP night. However, if it is a MVMCP night you will either need to purchase a ticket to stay at the park past party time, or you will need to leave. I would recommend doing the party at least once if you've never done it. It is amazing!!

2) You will definitely still experience and feel the Disney Magic during the Holiday Season.

3)No, Small World does not change at all during the Holiday Season.

Hope that helps. Ohhh, another thing.....if you go during this time don't miss Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Hollywood Studios!! :)

Agree with all of the points. While Small World does not change, they do add a few strategically placed reindeer and some other little changes like a hat or outfit on some dolls. I have some pictures and will try to post them later, but nothing like the DL changes that happen at the holidays.

Agree that the Osbourne Lights are spectacular! Epcot has the Candlelight Processional as well. The performers doing christmas carols will certainly get you in the holiday spirit.

You'll want to go to the Grand Floridian and see the giant gingerbread house and if you have some free time, head over to Fort Wilderness campground and see the lights that a lot of the guests put up. We actually took the horse and carriage ride around and it was awesome when we went, but I don't remember the cost. Some of the on site hotels (POFQ for one) have nightly marshmallow toasting and bonfires, etc... There really is a lot to do and see around this time.

What about the week of Nov 15-23? Will most of the decoration be up? I don't want to miss anything :)

I was originally thinking the first week of Dec, but by Bday is Nov 20th. Thanksgiving for the past couple of years has been the same week as my bday so I would never have gone to WDW as I am used to Sept crowds.

Any ideas? Will the gingerbread house be done at the GF within those days?

What about the week of Nov 15-23? Will most of the decoration be up? I don't want to miss anything :)
?

most decorations are up- not the tree in magic kingdom. that goes up after the taping of the parade
you will miss the santas and the story tellers in epcot. these do not come out til after thanksgiving

KittyKat1978 said:

I was originally thinking the first week of Dec, but by Bday is Nov 20th. Thanksgiving for the past couple of years has been the same week as my bday so I would never have gone to WDW as I am used to Sept crowds.

Any ideas? Will the gingerbread house be done at the GF within those days?

Happy early Birthday (that is mine as well) I know in the past many of the decorations at resorts etc went up Thanksgiving night but not sure if that is still the case. Never been that early for our birthdays but we go week after Thanksgiving and absolutely love it.

I am starting to lean towards a Disney World trip in early December, but have a few questions about that time of year! I hope this is the right forum for these questions! :)

During December, do the Christmas lights come on every evening after dark, or do they only come on for the "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party"? (It's in Magic Kingdom, right?) If I understand right... you have to pay separate admission to stay in the park during that time and you get booted out when it begins? Or could you stay but just not ride any rides? Are there different parades that happen during the Christmas party as opposed to the ones during the daytime? I would really love to see Disney all lit up, I'm sure it's beautiful in person!

Does the Magic Kingdom still feel "Disney Magical" or does the Christmas atmosphere kind of take over? I love Christmas, but I also love the feeling of Magic Kingdom the way I think of it, which is kind of a "loaded with magic, hot summer vacation feel".

Does "It's a Small World" change to a Christmas theme the way Disneyland's does? I searched on the net but it always brings up Disneyland's Small World. I know it sounds silly, but my boys love the rides as they know them and I think they might be somewhat disappointed if the rides were totally different than usual, etc.

What's to be expected of the weather? I have heard it varies hugely! I'm wondering if it will likely be too cold to have a pool day at our hotel, etc. Is it warm enough to "sit out by the pool" or do people pretty much stay away from that in December? I'm from Canada, and part of the thrill of coming down there during the winter is being able to be warm, wear shorts, go swimming, etc. I saw photos of people wearing puffy winter jackets during the Christmas season and I was surprised! I'm assuming it was people who are from around the area, and not Canadians ;) but still. We went at the end of September last year and to me it felt deathly hot and humid (though I was thankful it was warm) and I figured that December might be a little more moderate. Does the temperature etc change THAT much by December? Maybe it would feel warm to us, and just not to those who live in the area? Or is it chilly to everyone? (any people from cold climates who have been to Orlando in December want to chime in?)

Thanks so much in advance, any opinions are totally appreciated!! :D

Don't go the crowds are horrible, the Christmas lights aren't that special and the weather is cold.:rolleyes1

Did I scare you off?:scratchin :rotfl: :lmao:

Every little corner is magical. I recommend a great photopass picture at night on Main Street with the lit castle in the background. We were able to catch Santa at the entry hub on our way out. Even if you don't do photopass, you can buy a single download for about $15. It makes the BEST Christmas card ever!!

Another tip, we wore Christmas clothes and hats the entire time. It made us feel more "holiday" special.

23609080001.jpg

22925830000.jpg

23609080002.jpg

23609080000.jpg

I've gone a few times at the beginning of December. Weather definitely varies. I've had trips where everyday was in the 80's, others where it was never warmer than 60's. Others in between. I remember one time it was a high of 48 on our arrival day. I just got back today from a cool week, only one day in the 70's (Tuesday). Sunday was only in the 50's. I'm reconsidering my Dec 8 to 13 trip, I don't want to risk another cold trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter