Disney Wonder - Galveston to San Jaun - January 20, 2017

Some of the forum's on disboards are crazy! I can't believe how many people complain about the FE Gifts. Pages and pages of people saying awful things about getting cheap dollar store gifts or junk from Oriental Trading. It is really sad!

We are in 5524 and I think it is about the same has 5024. We went back and forth on booking it but for the price we decided to try it. ☺
I have 7507 on the FE information for you, Bbrown. Do I need to change it?

~ Tink ~

Some of the forum's on disboards are crazy! I can't believe how many people complain about the FE Gifts. Pages and pages of people saying awful things about getting cheap dollar store gifts or junk from Oriental Trading. It is really sad!
I guess it is about the mindset you go into it with. My personal opinion is that taking part in the FE is like having a chance to be part of the Disney Magic making. You get to sprinkle a little pixie dust into other peoples lives. If you can bring a smile to someones day, or they can bring a smile to yours, does it matter if I spend $ 25 or $2 per person, if I hand make your gift, or if I shop at oriental trading or Etsy. No, it shouldn't. All that should matter is that I thought of you (or who ever the gift is going to ).
We have big gifted, small gifted, hand made gifted, and pre made gifted. And we have received each type of gift also. I have never found a reason to complain. As a matter of fact, it is just the opposite. I have been thankful for the time and effort each gift represented.
I have seen the threads / posts you are talking about, and am saddened and discouraged by them. I hope those posts aren't a sign of the direction that something as awesome as the FE is heading. I also hope our group consists of greatful magic makers, not negative magic stoppers.

~ Tink ~

Yes please thank you
All fixed!
Just a quick request, could everyone please check their FE information on the spreadsheet to make sure I have everything correct.
Also Hobbers, I still need to get your information.
If there is anyone who has not requested access to the spreadsheet yet, all you need to do is PM me your email, and I can add you to the doc share. (side note***for FE participants only)

Hi everyone! We just booked this cruise and are super excited about it - especially since we normally book well over a year out and now it feels like we were able to skip ahead, yay! It will be me(42) DH(42) DS(11) DS(9) and DD(6), and this is our 3rd Disney cruise, all out of Galveston. Tink, we were on the Black Friday Wonder cruise as well!!
Now I'm in the process of trying to figure out the best way to get from Austin to Galveston, and then back from Puerto Rico...eek!

We'd love to participate in the FE's!

Hi everyone! We just booked this cruise and are super excited about it - especially since we normally book well over a year out and now it feels like we were able to skip ahead, yay! It will be me(42) DH(42) DS(11) DS(9) and DD(6), and this is our 3rd Disney cruise, all out of Galveston. Tink, we were on the Black Friday Wonder cruise as well!!
Now I'm in the process of trying to figure out the best way to get from Austin to Galveston, and then back from Puerto Rico...eek!

We'd love to participate in the FE's!
Welcome to the group itzkelly!
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
What a small world to be on the same cruise 2 times in a row. Where you in our group? Did you do the ice cream social with us? You'll have to refresh my memory. I can't place your name.
I will add y'all in to the roll call and the FE. Check your pm's in just a bit for the information needed for the FE.
Looking forward to planning with you again.

~ Tink ~

Oh, forgot to mention, our son will be coming down from Austin if he can go. He is looking at renting a car from Enterprise (they are the only car rental location in Galveston ). He is looking at doing a one way rental since he will be flying back into Austin.

~Tink ~

Oh, forgot to mention, our son will be coming down from Austin if he can go. He is looking at renting a car from Enterprise (they are the only car rental location in Galveston ). He is looking at doing a one way rental since he will be flying back into Austin.

~Tink ~

I looked at Enterprise too, and the charge for one-way is more than the cost of the car rental! For our family of 5, we are looking at about $177 for the rental of a car big enough to carry all our stuff.

Welcome to the group itzkelly!
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
What a small world to be on the same cruise 2 times in a row. Where you in our group? Did you do the ice cream social with us? You'll have to refresh my memory. I can't place your name.
I will add y'all in to the roll call and the FE. Check your pm's in just a bit for the information needed for the FE.
Looking forward to planning with you again.

~ Tink ~

We did not do the ice cream social, but did participate in an FE exchange, although I know there were several smaller FE groups since there were so many interested in participating.

We did not do the ice cream social, but did participate in an FE exchange, although I know there were several smaller FE groups since there were so many interested in participating.
The other option we looked at was the Mega Bus. The only problem with that is the 2 drop off points are the Katy mall, and down town Houston. So then there is the problem of getting to one of the shuttle pick up locations. Have you looked at a commuter flight to either Hobby or Intercontinental? Or maybe Uber?
If our combined families would not equal 8 plus luggage, I would be happy to offer a ride, but I think that would be a bit much for our Silverado!
Another option is to fly back into one of the Houston airports, and leaving a vehicle in long term parking. We looked at all of the possible equations for what to do about getting to Galveston, and how to get back home. Our options for return flights were to San Antonio, Austin, or either of the 2 Houston airports. For the flights we found, our cheapest option (considering cost for parking and shuttles ) was to fly back into intercontinental. The flight + the 8 days parking + shuttle to Galveston (for just the hubby, he is dropping us in Galveston, before parking the truck and catching the shuttle) was a better price than the flight alone back into either Austin or San Antonio. It is worth taking a look at the Houston options as well.

~Tink~

So a question for all of the experienced cruisers... what are some of the must take/have /pack items. (or what not to pack).

So a question for all of the experienced cruisers... what are some of the must take/have /pack items. (or what not to pack).
I will be covering most all of the must haves and the do not brings on all of the Monday's between now and the cruise. I have already shared 6 tips, and we have 30 more to go. On my last cruise, I did a basic summery on my last Monday post before the cruise. I have copied that below. I also had a post about what to forget at home. I will attach a copy of that as well. I hope these help, and check out my Monday posts for more detailed planning posts.
Forget Me Not summery post:
AGHHHHHHH! 4 More Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the last Monday before we set sail. Thus, this is my last chance to share a Monday Forget Me Not With the group.
Today is for all of you who have been saying that you are not packed yet, and a final check list for those of you who want to make sure they have everything.

First, a list of Do Not Leave Home without items. Double and Triple check this list, before you leave for the port.

Make sure you have:
-Yourself, and everyone in your traveling party (if you are traveling from different homes, and meeting up later, check in as you are leaving. We do not want any 'Home Alone' incidents).
- All of your parties travel documents - Printed signature forms, health advisory forms (these were emailed to everyone last week from Disney), and any forms needed for those traveling with minors (debarkation permission forms, legal guardian forms, etc....these do not apply to everyone).
- Official Identification - Passports, divers license (these are needed for everyone over 16 with a drivers license), birth certificate, foreign id, etc.
- Spiral bound travel booklet Disney sent in the mail.
- Confirmation for any parking reservations.
- Cash in small increments - You will want small bills for things like tipping your shuttle driver, tipping those that help you with your bags at the port (usually $1 to $2 a bag), tipping room service, and on shore purchases.

Plan to carry on:
- All of the above (minus parking confirmation)
- Any Wine or beer (these are the only forms of alcohol allowed - limit 2 bottles of wine, or 6 cans of beer per person 21 and older)
- All valuables (limit this to only what is necessary)
- All medications (only prescription - that have actually been prescribed - or legal over the counter medications)
- All electronics (phones, tablets, laptops, etc...don't forget chargers)...now is a good time to remind you to download the Disney Cruise App before leaving home. Doing so will save you the data usage it will cost to download while on the way to the port or at the port. Also, familiarize yourself with steps to activating app while in airplane mode for when you board.
- Credit cards
- Sun Screen
- Swim wear if you are daring enough to try to get in the water (forecast calls for a high of 74 and a low of 64)
- Clothes and anything you will need to get ready for that nights dinner (this is just in case your luggage does not arrive before dinner)
- Anything you may want to have autographed (there is a chance you may see Mickey or Minnie during boarding)

Second, a generic packing list for double checking you have everything:

See attached file below. If you can not view, I have a shareable version on docs

And finally a before you leave home check list:

See attached file below. If you can not view, I have a shareable version on docs

Now a post about what to forget:

Monday's Forget me Not's -

Happy Monday everyone. This weeks Forget me Not's are more of a what to forget type of thing.
I know that some of the items I will be listing today are going to seem like a, "Well that is obvious" kind of thing, but keep in mind that items on this list (and the ones on the complete list I will provide a link to at the bottom of this post) are similar to warning labels on items such as, " Do not use this blow drier while in the bath", or " Do not drink this poison, it may be hazardous to your health". These warnings and guidelines have to be added in print (be it on our cruise contract or the side of a bottle) because someone out there already tried what we are being warned against. So, all though it may seem common sense to us, (unfortunately) not everyone has common sense. Also, I put in a few that are just down right entertaining (but on the forbidden list just the same).

Items that are not allowed on board:
- No weapons of any kind (shucks, I can not bring my loaded lazer cat.....SNL fans hopefully are laughing)
- Any pet aside from a service animal (see above)
- Realistic looking toy weapons
- Any non prescribed controlled substance (medical marijuana is included in the not allowed list)
-Power tools and tool boxes (I am guessing Bob the Builder has to find new luggage)
- Sporting equipment (this includes snow skis / poles, and fishing gear - you must do all of your deep seafishing on excursions only. The excursion operator will provide all of your gear)
- Kites, balloons, and pools (yes, pools are listed as not to bring)
- Wagons
- Bicycle, skate board, or any foot wear with wheels (and I am sure that if Back to the Future had actually
gotten the time frame right for our scientific advancements, hover boards would be a no no as well)
- Rice cookers or hot plates (sorry you have to suffer with Disney's wonderful food)
- irons
- candles
- game stations
- Homemade or precooked food
- Personal Fireworks (I think this may have already been covered in weapons. If not, I think it should be
based on how some people that are traveling with me use personal fireworks)
- Lighting strings (ie: Christmas lights)
- Liquid Oxygen
- Power strips, extension cords, and surge protectors
- Any non-magnetic door decoration (this is a personal add on from me. The reason being, is that I witnessed
a teen decorate her cabin door with duck tape. Her parents were stuck with the steep bill of replacing the
door as a result. Oh and by the way, as an answer to the question of why didn't I stop her, when we were
walking by, the door was already 90% covered.)

A more complete list can be found here.
It also has a list of exceptions to the list with restrictions.

Happy packing!

I hope these helped.

~Tink~

Attachments

• Copy of Disney Packing list.pdf
    123.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Copy of pre travel check list-1.pdf
    114.2 KB · Views: 1
Wow, I didn't realize the flights were that much cheaper! Definitely will look into flying into Houston. So far I've only priced out SJU to Austin. I wish Southwest would come out with their flights for end of January! I wonder when they typically release them?

Oh, I found 1 more post that may be helpful. This had been posted just days before our last cruise (which explains the references to time over the weekend, and why isn't it Friday yet!).

If you have time over the weekend, read back through the thread and look for my Monday Forget Me Nots. I have covered just about everything you will need. If you don't have time to read, here is a simple list of items not to forget. To start off, you will need your boarding documents and id. After that the basic theme is 'you are on vacation '. If you have a few swimsuits, a few comfy daytime outfits, at least 1 dress for the girls, and 1 pair of pants for the guys, some comfy shoes, sun screen, sleep clothes, and finally yourself. Everything else is just extra.
Oh, don't forget your FE'S! !!!
Now as for emergencies back home, Disney provided you with some helpful cards in your cruise documents. You can find them in the spiral bound book they sent. They have a number for you to leave with your friends and family in case there is an emergency, and they need to reach you.
So, the only other thing to worry about is why is it taking so long for the boat to get back? And Why isn't it Friday already?
~Tink~

Wow, I didn't realize the flights were that much cheaper! Definitely will look into flying into Houston. So far I've only priced out SJU to Austin. I wish Southwest would come out with their flights for end of January! I wonder when they typically release them?
Others in our group have been talking about the same thing. I think they were saying either 3 or 6 months.

Oh, I found 1 more post that may be helpful. This had been posted just days before our last cruise (which explains the references to time over the weekend, and why isn't it Friday yet!).

If you have time over the weekend, read back through the thread and look for my Monday Forget Me Nots. I have covered just about everything you will need. If you don't have time to read, here is a simple list of items not to forget. To start off, you will need your boarding documents and id. After that the basic theme is 'you are on vacation '. If you have a few swimsuits, a few comfy daytime outfits, at least 1 dress for the girls, and 1 pair of pants for the guys, some comfy shoes, sun screen, sleep clothes, and finally yourself. Everything else is just extra.
Oh, don't forget your FE'S! !!!
Now as for emergencies back home, Disney provided you with some helpful cards in your cruise documents. You can find them in the spiral bound book they sent. They have a number for you to leave with your friends and family in case there is an emergency, and they need to reach you.
So, the only other thing to worry about is why is it taking so long for the boat to get back? And Why isn't it Friday already?
~Tink~

Am I the only one who has had multiple dreams I've gotten onboard to take a cruise, only to find out I didn't pack??!! More like a nightmare, lol! It's always this same cruise ship and I have to try to buy clothes from the shops on board! :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter