Disney Wonder - Galveston to San Jaun - January 20, 2017

What is there to do if you don't pay for excursions at the ports of call? Do you all typically go on the excursions or just wing it and do your own thing?

I have always read them as DH - Disney Husband; DW - Disney Wife; DS - Disney Son; DD - Disney Daughter; etc.
I was correct on my last cruise how ever and was told that the D stands for Darling!

Oh ok we don't really fit any of those except I have two DIsney daughters and a Disney son. I'm also taking my Disney Mom (AKA Disney Grammy to my kids) and my Disney boyfriend (Maybe Disney honey instead of husband at this point).

I can't really remember

but I want to say the Wonder
Well, the Wonder is scheduled for a dry dock before our sailing, and is rumored to be having some drastic changes made. So, if it doesn't look familiar, don't worry, I (as well as many other return cruisers ) may, quite likely be feeling the same way!

~ Tink ~

What is there to do if you don't pay for excursions at the ports of call? Do you all typically go on the excursions or just wing it and do your own thing?
At all ports of call, you can always stay on board and enjoy the ship if there isn't anything that interests you ashore.
As for getting off the boat, I would be glad to share with you what we have done in the past, and what we plan to do at each port. Also, someone had posted previously that The Grand Caymans is their favorite destination. Maybe they will share their list of insider tips.
COZUMEL - On previous sailings, we have done a few different things.
Once we took a taxi (side note - if you plan to grab a taxi at any of our ports, area experts warn that you should agree on a price before you get into the vehicle ), to Chankanaab (sp?) State Park. The admission is low, and they have historical recreations of Mayan cities and ruins, beautiful beaches with snorkeling, beach chairs, public restrooms and showers included in the price. There are things such as the dolphin experience that is available for an extra fee. Here is their website with a coupon . I think the boat offers excursions here as well. You would need to price compare.
On another, we did a x-rail off road and snorkel adventure. This was not offered by the boat. We booked it privately before the cruise. We got to drive these 4 person off road vehicles through town, and into the jungle for a fun muddy adventure. Half way through, we stopped at a private beach where we could snorkel, swim, enjoy the included lunch, or just hang out in a hammock. This was very exciting, and we have been considering possibly doing it again.
We have also spent the day enjoying the shops and eateries down town. We will dock down town so if you just want to explore the shops, they will be an easy stroll from the boat.
Finally, I have heard many people talk about doing a private beach break to either Paradise Beach or Mr. Sanchos. I have never been to either, but have heard great things about both.
We will be at this port on Sunday, and many things do not open on Sunday's. When you are searching for what you want to do, double check that where you want to go will be open.
GRAND CAYMANS - We have never gotten the opportunity to visit the Caymans before, so I don't have any been there, loved this items. What we are planning to do here is rent a jeep, and take a drive around the island. We also will probably make a stop at a beach for some swimming and snorkeling. From what I have read, all of the beaches on the island are public beaches.
JAMAICA - We have only been here once before. During that visit, we went to Dunn's River Falls, and climbed the water falls. It was an amazing experience, and we loved it. However, Jamaica is not someplace as a whole that we enjoyed or felt safe. So, we are opting to stay on board at this port. If you choose to do anything off board, this is the only port I would recommend doing an organized excursions. I know others (most of who where traveling without kids) really enjoyed Jamaica, and this is just my opinion.
SAN JUAN - This port will be a new experience for us as well, and we are very excited about it. We have a local (or at least someone who is from Puerto Rico ) in our group - We Want to wreck-it. This is who I have been looking to for input on our final stop.

So what have other previous cruisers done?

~ Tink ~

Oh ok we don't really fit any of those except I have two DIsney daughters and a Disney son. I'm also taking my Disney Mom (AKA Disney Grammy to my kids) and my Disney boyfriend (Maybe Disney honey instead of husband at this point).
For your mom, you can use DM (should work, as I have seen DMNL for a mother -in-law before ). And for your boyfriend, DBF.
On our last trip our oldest son had his DGF (Disney Girl Friend ) with him.

And Yeah! You reached 10. I will send you a PM shortly. Make sure to check your inbox in the top right corner.

~Tink ~

Happy Monday everyone!
Here is the 6th item on the 'What NOT to do on an Excursion' List:
6. Ignore the safety talk
Guides are required to give safety briefings at the beginning of any tour -- think scuba diving and ATV riding -- that could result in injury if rules are not followed. Ignore them, and you could end up hurting yourself or someone else -- without even realizing you were doing anything wrong in the first place. Their main goal is to prevent both minor and catastrophic injuries, but there are a number of other reasons you should listen closely. This is also the time to get insider tips on how to make the most out of your activity.

~Tink~

I think we will be changing dates, as much as I want to be on this cruise it doesn't really work for the dates as far as school. :-(

You can officially add our family to this sailing. We just booked this morning, after contemplating for quite a few weeks! This will be our 4th Disney cruise as a family, we are from Minnesota and it will be myself, my DH, DD(4) and DS(7). I love to plan vacations, so this one will be fun! We have only sailed out of PC, so I am excited to see new territory in TX! :yay:

We are also planning to stay in San Juan for 2 nights post cruise. I am looking for help on planning where to stay and what to do. With having 2 littler ones, the beach is our "thing". So, hotel on a nice beach with easy transport from the port and then to the airport. We are hoping to not rent a car as I wasn't planning to lug the car seats with us.

You can officially add our family to this sailing. We just booked this morning, after contemplating for quite a few weeks! This will be our 4th Disney cruise as a family, we are from Minnesota and it will be myself, my DH, DD(4) and DS(7). I love to plan vacations, so this one will be fun! We have only sailed out of PC, so I am excited to see new territory in TX! :yay:
Welcome aboard MNMommyof2!
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
You are our second family in the group from Minnesota.
You have definitely found the right place for planning. I love talking Disney, and I have been researching San Juan, so we will have a lot to chat about. We also have a group member (We Want to Wreck It) that is from San Juan.
Have you checked out the 1st page of the thread, and seen the different activities we are planning? Are you interested in signing up for any of them?
Oh, and what Disney ships have you sailed on before?
One word of advice though, don't set your expectations to high (like Disney high) for the Port of Galveston. The town is cute, but the port itself is no where near what I had come to expect sailing out of Disney's port in Cape Canaveral.

~Tink~

Welcome!! My Daughter will be 4 at the time of sailing :)

Welcome aboard MNMommyof2!
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
You are our second family in the group from Minnesota.
You have definitely found the right place for planning. I love talking Disney, and I have been researching San Juan, so we will have a lot to chat about. We also have a group member (We Want to Wreck It) that is from San Juan.
Have you checked out the 1st page of the thread, and seen the different activities we are planning? Are you interested in signing up for any of them?
Oh, and what Disney ships have you sailed on before?
One word of advice though, don't set your expectations to high (like Disney high) for the Port of Galveston. The town is cute, but the port itself is no where near what I had come to expect sailing out of Disney's port in Cape Canaveral.

~Tink~
Thanks for the welcome!

We have been on the Dream once and on the Fantasy twice- once Eastern and once Western with the Star Wars Day at Sea. We are excited to sail on one of the smaller ships for a change.

I did read through the first pages and am still undecided if we want to join in on those yet. We have only ever booked cruises last minute (like 45 days and less) so I'm not quite sure what to do with all this planning time!

I also have read that Galvesron port is quite unappealing compared to PC. It will be still fun to see something new!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter