Disney with two broken arms - (Final Day 1/23)

I'm really enjoying your trip report. :thumbsup2 Kudos to you and DH you all look like you are having a wonderful time despite the 2 broken arms (you poor thing!).

Can't wait to read more.

Thank you. Yes, we did have a wonderful time.

Great update. I love that your girls will where matching outfits, or similar outfits. My girls are 8 years apart and there is no way a 17 year old is going to dress like a 9 year old. I too would like to see the map of the "secret trail". I'm hoping someone has the link.:confused3

Yes it is fun to dress them the same. I don't normally do it but I am glad they let me play dress up in WDW at least.

Your girls are so adorable! You are such a trooper with your injuries and your husband really is a trooper as well (esp with fixing the girls' hair - my late husband was great with our daughter fixing her hair for school since I had to leave for work so early)!

I felt so bad for you and your DH getting food poisoning - I hate those types of "sudden" illnesses that give you no warning (I had a similar incident when I was taking meds for my torn ligaments in my ankle - was at grocery store and had absolutely no warning! Unfortunately I wasn't as lucky as you and didn't make it to the restroom - good thing my friend was with me and hurried out to buy some pants. Talk about embarrassing - I will NEVER set foot in that store again :lmao: )

OMG, that would be embarrassing. YOU poor thing. Glad you had a good friend with you.:thumbsup2

I have a question for you if you don't mind: I'm visiting WDW in December with my DS15 (his first visit) and wanted to visit Epcot the first day. You mentioned you were allowing 2 days at Epcot (and I hope to as well) - would you recommend visiting FW first like you did or WS? (we will arrive around 11:00 a.m. & have 2:45pm reservations at Teppan Edo so thought we would hurry over to FW to ride TT & MS & get fastpasses for Soarin'). Since we will be eating our "dinner" at lunch time, we were planning on eating at the Cantina to watch Illuminations but don't think we will now!!

I actually thought about this one before and think I would do WS first. Just because once you get the kids on the rides (and DH too) they are less excited to tour WS. Yes, I've heard the seating at Cantina but I for one wouldn't risk eating there ever again.

Hello, I have just finished reading all of your TR so far and I'm loving it. You are a much stronger women then I am, I don't think I would have been so brave to go to Disneyworld with two broken arms. Sorry about the food poisoning, thats horrible but I have made a mental note to stay away from that place when we go next month. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.

pixiedust: Welcome. Thanks for reading!

Alright back to our day at Animal Kingdom.
image055.jpg

We had just watched It's a Bug's Life, we love that show. We then decided to go watch Flights of Wonder. We had not seen this show before. When we arrived there it was about 20 minutes until start time. The UG suggests walking the Majaraja Jungle Trek if the wait is 20 min. or more. Well, we walked this and felt very rushed. I also tripped over the stroller at one point and slammed by elbow against the stone wall. That did not feel very good at all. When we finally made it out of there we went back to Flights of Wonder and accepted seats on the back bleachers to get a view. So, my suggestion. If the wait is 20 min. just wait and try to get good seats. Not that there were any terrible seats. This show was not quite as impressive as I'd hoped but the girls and I enjoyed watching the birds fly overhead every once in a while.
DisneyWorld2008297.jpg

Once we left the Flights of Wonder we were on our way to Discovery Island.
image058.jpg

image061.jpg

There was almost a non existant line for Triceratop Spin so we jumped in line and were on very quickly.
DisneyWorld2008299.jpg

I like how we all can ride in the same dinosoar on this ride (instead of two on Dumbo).
DisneyWorld2008300.jpg

DisneyWorld2008302.jpg

DH didn't even know about the Dinosoar ride. (Last year we only did kiddie rides). So, we went to check it out.
image067.jpg

We didn't plan on taking either of the girls on. The CM in front said we should really just go on in and have them watch the intro video. She thought that would help the girls decide if they are up to it. Since there was absolutely no wait I thought why not. We took the girls in and watched the video. Even DD4 didn't want to go. She's up for thrill but not scary things. As they were loading the girls and I walked right through and waited for DH in gift shop. He really liked it. Here is the picture of the picture. He is the one in the front right. Not much of a reaction.
DisneyWorld2008303.jpg

DH really wanted me to go but I really just did not want to go by myself. Who wants to go by themselves on a scary ride where dinosoars jump out at you?:confused3 Not me. I don't regret it either. I just figure it's one more thing I can look forward to doing on another trip.

After that we passed Mt. Everest. The girls and I needed a restroom so DH hopped in the single rider line while we went to the restroom. I kid you not people, when we exited the bathroom he was outside waiting for us and had already ridden. Unreal huh? He loved this ride too. He had written down the number of his photo so we all went back in to take a look. DH hated how I'd been taking pictures of pictures on this trip. He thought it was tacky and we might get in trouble. So what do I do? I tell the lady at the counter that we do not want to buy the photo but could I take a picture of it. So, I was so impressed with what she did next. She took held up some folder over the screen so there would not be a reflection. A little Disney magic.:wizard: I then took a picture and realized that the flash reflected too much and we could not see the picture. The nice CM then helps me figure out how to turn off the flash on the camera and holds up the folder again to block glare. Only in WDW would a CM do this honestly. It was so sweet. Still, we did not get that great of picture but hugs all around to the nice CM.:hug: DH is in the back right hand side.
DisneyWorld2008305.jpg

I was glad he got to experience these rides but I really didn't have the desire to do them myself.
After Everest we made our way to Kali River Rapids.
DisneyWorld2008306.jpg

DH didn't really want to ride this I think because he didn't want to get wet and he didn't want to have to put on a poncho. Well, the girls really wanted to ride so of course we all broke out the ponchos. (Even DH) Yes, we did get a couple little remarks like "it's hot outside, waters good for you." Whatever, we were the ones smirking when we got off and didn't have to walk funny from our clothes being stuck to us.:rotfl2: DD7 especially liked this ride and really wanted to go again. We could have easily since there was really no line but instead we moved on stating maybe we'd come back. We never did make it back and I still occasionally hear about it.:goodvibes

We had a great morning and got a lot done. After Everest we took the lovely "secret path" back to Pizzafari for lunch. It was a little past rush time so there were plenty of tables and we enjoyed a long relaxed lunch break.

Next up: AK shows, parade, and Boma!

Great update once again. I rode Dinosaur with DH for the first time last Oct and hid my face almost the entire time. He just laughed at me, lovingly of course. I won't go on that ride again. So, you were wise not to go alone.

What cute family pictures! I love the one where you're all making faces. :laughing: What a great day...no lines anywhere. That's always nice. Dinosaur isn't that bad really. It's just real jerky. Would not have been good for your arms! Pizzafari....yum. I have that planned for December!

I love the SCAREY face picture in front of Dinosaurs..too cute!!:) Btw, I took my DS, 4 at the time, on Dinosaur because he wanted to go on, I knew nothing about it and the CM outside said he would be fine....well, I was SO stressed out when we got off of it....he covered his eyes, cried and was buried in my arm the entire time..it's too scarey for little ones! He told me when we got off "Even when I'm a teenager I never want to go on that ride again!!" and he's NOT a scaredycat kind of kid, at all, it was a shame!!! So, you didn't miss much and I"m glad your DD didn't go on!!!! Sounds like you guys had a nice time the rest of the day....loved the red on you guys, looks great in your pics!!!!

I just read your whole TR and I am really enjoying it. :thumbsup2 You have a lovely family.:) It is wonderful that you didn't let your injuries prevent you from enjoying your vacation. Hats off to your DH for his hair dressing skills.:thumbsup2 Your Coral Reef visit looked so nice. How long before your trip did you set up the diver and the menus? I am looking forward to reading more.:goodvibes

This TR is great, I am looking forward to reading more. The pictures are awesome of the lion. Was he making any noise? A few weeks ago we were at the naples zoo. We had a lion about 5 feet in front of us. The sounds they make are incredible it sounds so deep and doesn't even look like they are making any effort at alll to make the noises. It was awesome.

Diane

Great update once again. I rode Dinosaur with DH for the first time last Oct and hid my face almost the entire time. He just laughed at me, lovingly of course. I won't go on that ride again. So, you were wise not to go alone.

Good to know I made the right decision.:thumbsup2

What cute family pictures! I love the one where you're all making faces. :laughing: What a great day...no lines anywhere. That's always nice. Dinosaur isn't that bad really. It's just real jerky. Would not have been good for your arms! Pizzafari....yum. I have that planned for December!

Oh, I didn't even think about how jerky Dinosaur would have been. However, you'll be shocked to see everythink I did despite my arms as the week went on.

I love the SCAREY face picture in front of Dinosaurs..too cute!!:) Btw, I took my DS, 4 at the time, on Dinosaur because he wanted to go on, I knew nothing about it and the CM outside said he would be fine....well, I was SO stressed out when we got off of it....he covered his eyes, cried and was buried in my arm the entire time..it's too scarey for little ones! He told me when we got off "Even when I'm a teenager I never want to go on that ride again!!" and he's NOT a scaredycat kind of kid, at all, it was a shame!!! So, you didn't miss much and I"m glad your DD didn't go on!!!! Sounds like you guys had a nice time the rest of the day....loved the red on you guys, looks great in your pics!!!!

I wonder why the CM act like it's no beg deal?:confused3

Great updates! I will have to look for that secret path on my next trip.

It's a good tip for sure.:goodvibes

cute family pics:goodvibes I really like the one with baby simba:cutie:

Thanks, I like that one too.

I just read your whole TR and I am really enjoying it. :thumbsup2 You have a lovely family.:) It is wonderful that you didn't let your injuries prevent you from enjoying your vacation. Hats off to your DH for his hair dressing skills.:thumbsup2 Your Coral Reef visit looked so nice. How long before your trip did you set up the diver and the menus? I am looking forward to reading more.:goodvibes

We set up the diver and menus about 3-4 months ahead of time. As long as you have an ADR they'll let you set it up.

Just caught up. Love your TR so far. Your daughters are beautiful!! Looking forward to more. :)

Glad you're enjoying it.:banana:

Another great update! Can't wait for more!:goodvibes

Thanks so much for reading.:surfweb:

This TR is great, I am looking forward to reading more. The pictures are awesome of the lion. Was he making any noise? A few weeks ago we were at the naples zoo. We had a lion about 5 feet in front of us. The sounds they make are incredible it sounds so deep and doesn't even look like they are making any effort at alll to make the noises. It was awesome.

Diane

No the lion wasn't making noise but it is a great picture. The female was up walking around too but by the time I took a picture she had sat down. That was neat!

I was curious to see if anyone would notice the disappearance of my sling mid-day at AK. :confused3
image056.jpg

Didn't get any comments on it. I ended up getting a call from the doctor late the evening before we left on vacation that had pretty good news. He said indeed my right elbow did have a fracture but it was small. I don't remember the medical terminology except that he said that when I felt comfortable in a couple weeks I could go w/o the sling occasionally and work on rehabilitating my arm. He said normally he would have started me w/ a physical therapist but that I would be away. So, while I know I wasn't really supposed to go w/o a sling already (and still could not move my arm) it made me feel okay w/ taking my arm out of the sling and keeping it usually tucked in my pocket (so it would stay bent). Even though it didn't free me up any (since I couldn't move it anyway) I got a lot less stares and felt more "normal".

After a relaxing lunch we headed to the "must do" attraction for the day. At least it was in my book. Last year I had one of those OCD attacks when we arrived at Lion King literally seconds too late. So we never did see it last year. We did see Nemo last year and quite enjoyed it. We did not feel like we needed to go see it already again this year. We showed up for Lion King about 15 min. early which was PLENTY of time for the Sept. low crowd. We really enjoyed this show. Fantastic. Definitely my favorite. So entertaining. I was disappointed to see we only got a couple pictures that didn't turn out too well.
DisneyWorld2008308-1.jpg

DisneyWorld2008307.jpg

The Pocahontas show was starting shortly after Lion King so we made our way to there next. I wanted to make sure we saw this since I knew it was shutting down for good at the end of the month. Poor DH.:sad2: He went to move the stroller while the girls and I went to get a seat at Pocahontas. So if you've ever been to both you know how they are literally right next to each other. The girls got a great seat front row and I sat in the first row adults were permitted to sit in. I kept looking for DH for the 10 or so min. before the show and he was no where to be seen. I could not figure out what happened to him in the few yards he had to walk. He did not show up until about 5-10 min. into the show. (About 20min. since he went to move the stroller). Our fearless leader got lost.:rotfl2: He didn't realize just how extremely close the two were and walked all the way back to Discovery Land first.

I am so glad we got to see this. The girls LOVED the show. I know a lot of people don't think much of it but it will definitely missed by my little ones. When I asked the girls which they liked better (Lion King or Pocahontas show) they both said they like Lion King but thought Pocahontas was better. (For the record I definitely preferred Lion King) but of course children aren't always enticed by all the theatrics. In fact, after watching this Hope decided she wanted to be Pocahontas for Halloween and Pocahontas is one of her all time favorite Disney characters. And boy was Pocahontas beautiful.
DisneyWorld2008309.jpg

You can see the girls in red front row.
DisneyWorld2008310.jpg

DisneyWorld2008312.jpg

It was now about 3:40. We had pretty much done everything we planned to do and more. We had not planned to do the parade (Last year we were not impressed.) But since we had done everything anyway we went ahead and found a nice shaded spot in front of Pizzafari to watch the parade. DD7 was throwing a little temper tantrum. I don't remember why. I'll have to ask DH. Anyway I do remember DH taking her into Pizzafari for a strict talking to while we were waiting for the parade. We were glad we stayed for the parade we enjoyed it this year. I don't think it was much different than last year but last year we were in the hot sun and tired. Also, we had not seen any other parades yet this trip. (Seems after you see parade at MK the others seem kind of pathetic.)IMO
DisneyWorld2008313.jpg

DisneyWorld2008315.jpg

DisneyWorld2008316.jpg

DisneyWorld2008318.jpg

DisneyWorld2008320.jpg

We had reservations for Boma at 5:55 and I think it was about 4:20 when the parade was finished. We decided to go get some cold drinks and let the park filter out a little but before we left. After the drinks (the girls got ice cream) it started to drizzle a little bit. I took the girls to the restroom while DH got the ponchos out. When we got out DH was sitting under an umbrella table visiting with a CM wearing a poncho in the hot sun w/ no rain.:rotfl2: Funny how fast it will switch up huh?:confused3 So, I look at him and say, "It's not raining anymore". He had not yet taken notice of this and decided to take the poncho off.:thumbsup2

We strolled our way to the exit and didn't have to wait long for a bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge. This was a comical ride. We ended up getting standing room towards the front of the bus. Well, it had started raining again. The emergency exit hatch on the bus ceiling was leaking. everytime the bus pulled forward it would leak towards the end of the hatch, when it stopped it would leak towards to front. The poor people sitting down next to us really got wet. The girls and I were able to stand almost in the middle of it and be entertained by watching other people trying to dodge to rain.:lmao:

We pulled up to the nice (covered) AKL bus stop and made our way to the front. We were impressed w/ the fresh neatly rolled towels they left in the entry way for people to dry off with. The rain once again stopped and we were early so we decided to look around. (This was a resort that really intrigued me that I had been thinking of trying to rent points for on our next stay.)
DisneyWorld2008321-1.jpg

We saw a giraffe and a few zebra. It wasn't too impressive after all the amazing animals we had seen on the safari that morning. We then went to one of there nice patios and rocked for a while. DD7 was still a little tempermental. I'm sure she was getting tired. We checked out the gift shop (love all the animal print stuff) and at 5:30 we decided to go ahead and check in 25 min. early just in case they have something available. The nice lady at the front desk gave me the pager and was explaining where we needed to go when the pager went off in my hand. Hot Dog! They have a seat for us!

I had read lots of good things about Boma and wanted to be sure to try a zebra dome. We were seated and our waitress asked if we'd eaten there before to which we ofcourse said, "no". She explained how it worked and my DH went to go get our daughers some food. When I got up the nice lady (probably in her mid 50's) said, "Oh I heard you say you haven't dined here before. You must try one of these". (Pointing at her husbands zebra dome). To which I replied, "Oh yes, that is a zebra dome. I do my homework." I then asked the husband if he it was pretty good and he too encouraged me to try it.

I got my own plate today guys. There's only so long you can walk around looking pathetic before you figure a way to get around it. As long as I kept my right arm bent I could help hold the plate with that hand. It was difficult dishing my food on w/ my casted left hand. A few kind people offered to help but I muddled on and filled my whole plate.

When I got back to my seat the nice gentlemen with the zebra dome leaned over and said, "I wanted to ask you something, you said 'you do your homework', do you read the disboards?" How funny.:lmao: I am not one of those who carries around lime green mickey heads or arranges meets yet I still meet someone from the disboards just by saying I do my homework. We talked a little about how useful a tool it really was. He said he didn't post much but really enjoyed reading. It really made me realize the wide spectrum of people who use the disboards. He and his wife looked much more put together than my family who had come straight from a full day at the park. They had no children with them and it was clearly the male that was the planner. So glad the disboards aren't just full of over-obsessive mothers of young children like myself. I was glad to meet this nice gentleman and his wife. Throughout the week I did see a few people that I was certain must be dis people but never did ask them. No, I didn't take his picture. He didn't seem that type but there I got stereotyping again. :goodvibes

We enjoyed the food at Boma. And let me tell you. My family is full of some very picky eaters. I sometimes read people being unsure if the picky eaters will find anything. Let me reassure you, there is plenty. Now, I didn't write down what we ate or take pictures so I can't help you there. DH really liked this thingamabob.
DisneyWorld2008322.jpg

DisneyWorld2008323.jpg

DisneyWorld2008324.jpg

After a nice dinner we made our way back to the bus stops. We took bus from AKL to Hollywood Studios. At HS I really needed to use the restroom so we had to go find one before finding the bus stop to Pop Century. That was a teaser. We hadn't been there yet and it was hard to be so close and not go in. Anyway, turned out okay because a bus did not arrive until after we had ventured all the way to the restroom and back. Even with the extra bus stop and using the restroom it only took about 30 minutes to get back to the Pop.

Of course you all know what we did next... Pool time baby! DH took this picture of my hair because I had pulled it up myself. He thought it looked funny. I think, not too bad for a crippled lady. I had bent upside down and brought my head to my arm since I couldn't bring my arms to my head. It still hurt. DH had been on a business phone call so I was trying to be more independent. He was impressed non the less.
DisneyWorld2008273.jpg

Once again the girls got showered and ready for bed in locker room, we watched Epcot fireworks and were asleep around 10 p.m.

Next up: MK . . . . Zip-a-dee-doo-dah

I think the pic of you in the pool is cute...you did a good job on your hair!! :lovestruc Especially for a crippled lady!!!:rotfl:

We loved BOMA last year, too, when we took the boys, nice variety and some different stuff for a change which is nice for us and the kids. Glad you had a good dinner.

Never did get to see Pochohantas show.....you can tell I'm the Mom of three boys...now I'm sorry I missed it!!!! We never saw the Lion King (wait a minute, they may have, I may have been nursing the baby!!) so hope to next time!!!!:goodvibes

I had requested the 50's section with a view of fireworks. I think most people wanting the firework view request building 2 but I requested building 3 (Lady and Tramp) building on the end where I could still see the fireworks but was a little closer to Classic Hall. PERFECT LOCATION. Thanks to my research here on the DIS.:disrocks: I sent in a fax 4 days ahead with a picture and the area circled as well.;) I got my exact request except one floor down. Instead of 4th floor we got 3rd and I was still very happy with it. We could see the top of Spaceship Earth and of course both Epcot and MK fireworks. And it had a beautiful lake view. Infact, I could see the reflection of the fireworks in the lake at night! I loved it.By now it was getting dark. It was so beautiful but our camera was not good enough to capture the beauty behind us. [/B]

Please pass along some advice! :worship:
We are going to Pop in March for the first time...I haven't been to WDW since I was 7! How did you request the room? Where did you request? When? My DD is 3 and I like the idea of being able to see the fireworks and then turn in early if needed. TIA!!!! :hug:
Great report by the way. I am really enjoying it! :cheer2:

So how was Boma???? Good enough to go again???? I was shocked to hear ya didn't like the Jungle Parade. I think it's great! I love how all the characters are dressed and all the colorful "puppets" are so cool! I think it's great how they pick people out of the park to be in the parade. (My friend Farrah was chosen this past time...how cool is that? I was so happy for them!) We will miss Pocahontas too. That was a cool show. I love all the animals and the way they made kids VIPS. Oh...if the girls are going to be Pocahontas for Halloween....Ms B sells the WDW set for way less than it sells for at WDW! LMK if you want her info.

I can't wait to read the next installment!

Thanks for reading.:goodvibes

Didn't you just love Boma eveything is just so delicious! Can't wait to read more!

It was good.:thumbsup2

I think the pic of you in the pool is cute...you did a good job on your hair!! :lovestruc Especially for a crippled lady!!!:rotfl:

We loved BOMA last year, too, when we took the boys, nice variety and some different stuff for a change which is nice for us and the kids. Glad you had a good dinner.

Never did get to see Pochohantas show.....you can tell I'm the Mom of three boys...now I'm sorry I missed it!!!! We never saw the Lion King (wait a minute, they may have, I may have been nursing the baby!!) so hope to next time!!!!:goodvibes

You'll like Lion King. I was glad we made time for Pocahontas. It was better than I thought it'd be.

Please pass along some advice! :worship:
We are going to Pop in March for the first time...I haven't been to WDW since I was 7! How did you request the room? Where did you request? When? My DD is 3 and I like the idea of being able to see the fireworks and then turn in early if needed. TIA!!!! :hug:
Great report by the way. I am really enjoying it! :cheer2:

Here's a good link to w/ a view http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=27247486&postcount=3037

Also check out the first page of the Pop thread. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1629396 It will tell you everything you want to know about how to request, what numbers, when, etc. ;)

So how was Boma???? Good enough to go again???? I was shocked to hear ya didn't like the Jungle Parade. I think it's great! I love how all the characters are dressed and all the colorful "puppets" are so cool! I think it's great how they pick people out of the park to be in the parade. (My friend Farrah was chosen this past time...how cool is that? I was so happy for them!) We will miss Pocahontas too. That was a cool show. I love all the animals and the way they made kids VIPS. Oh...if the girls are going to be Pocahontas for Halloween....Ms B sells the WDW set for way less than it sells for at WDW! LMK if you want her info.

We liked the Jungle Parade much more this year than the first. I think other elements such as heat and seating play a big part in how enjoyable it is at the time. I'm glad we took the time to watch it. It was our first parade this trip. I ordered the Pocahontas dress off ebay. Too bad I didn't know about Ms B. But I do think I got an okay deal. Thanks.:thumbsup2

Yes ma'am it's hotter than ____ over there. I'm looking forward to AK in December. Of course my luck...it'll still feel like 90 that day. It didn't get cold 'til January last year around here. Did I ask you already if you have a My Space? You need to post a fam pic over on my trippie still! Can't wait to see what's next!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter