Disney Wants To Know If People Want Song Of The South Released.

I would LOVE to see this movie out on DVD. But we are lucky. DH found it on Laser Disc several years ago. It's a Japanese import that has both English and Japanese versions for the dialog. All the songs, however, are in English with Japanese subtitles.

RRBB, we have this laser disc set too! I have to mention the bouncing Mickey head over the Japanese lettering during the songs, just like a regular sing a long video . . . I wasn't expecting it the first time I saw this on laser disc and it's a hoot! I'm glad we have this for our kids to see; we got it at Record City here in Las Vegas. It wasn't cheap but I'm glad we have it.

:Pinkbounc

Originally posted by Pete W.
What 'has been there for months' and why do you assume everyone has seen it?

1. Because it has been posted on this board

2. My point wasn't assuming that people have seen it, it was assuming that people haven't seen it - i.e. telling people that this isn't something new to get excited about.

Has anyone else heard the wacky rumor that Bill Cosby now owns the rights to "Song of the South" and swears it will never be released?

Although the tone of the movie may no longer be PC, I feel our society in general is more enlightened about the evils of slavery, and hopefully, more tolerant of disparate views on the subject. I think school children of any race should be taught about this shameful episode in our history. Sweeping it under the carpet is not the answer.

Disney could reasonably consider releasing the movie again. This time, perhaps they might include a prologue denouncing the practice of slavery. I feel certain the original intent of the book author and movie script writers was not to endorse or condone the attitudes of our slave holding forefathers.

With that said, the movie is entertaining, if a little slow in some parts. The animation and Uncle Remus sequences are delightful. I was able to pick up a black market VHS at a local flea market (I know, my bad), and have seen vendors selling them at science fiction type conventions.

I could not find any references to "the Cos" being involved with this movie, but did find an urban legends site at about.com discussing related issues:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/disney/index.htm

Originally posted by Lady Cluck

This time, perhaps they might include a prologue denouncing the practice of slavery.

It is not Disney's place nor responsibility to place a trite prologue denouncing or apolgising for anything that they were not responsible for. The film is a piece of art, treat it as such.

I'm sorry to disagree with you, scooby-the-doo. As we have seen from other threads on the boards, Song of the South contains issues so controversial, that books with similar subject matter about same era (i.e. Uncle Tom's Cabin and Huck Finn) have been banned from some schools.

** IF ** Disney were to re-release this film without some sort of commentary about the change of mores since the original release date, the backlash may prove very devisive with those who are sensitive about such things. I'm not one, but am aware of those who are.

The earning potential of the movie in re-release, could certainly be weighed unfavorably against the possibility of bad publicity, and damage to the all-encompassing family friendly Disney image.

On the other hand, to quote Billy Joel, "You may be right, I may be :crazy: ". Enlightened viewers may recognize the film as a work of art, open to interpretation. The storm could just blow over without much fuss or :mad:

The obvious, IMHO anyway, answer is to make it a Walt Disney Treasures release. Those are limited to 150,000 copies and not marketed to the "masses at large" but Disney fanatics. And the WDT have so many other "extras" that a commentary covering the societal issues shouldn't be off-putting to the people who don't feel anything is necessary, but still appease the people who think it's necessary. Next year (2003) release is supposed to include the WWII shorts/ Victory through Air Power, which is another "touchy, is this really appropriate for impressionable children" subject, perhaps Disney plans to use that as a barometer.

I agree that it shouldn't be tacked onto the film itself, but if they want to do a bonus segment with a blurb about "slavery bad! yada-yada..." then that's fine with me. I don't recall Gone With The Wind requiring any disclaimers. I tend to view the movie from start to finish as a piece of history & art.

Just as I wouldn't want someone in charge of works by Dali or Monet posthumously making excuses or disclaimers for their work stapled onto the canvas, I don't think the works of the animators should be altered to satisfy a percentage of the population. Perhaps Michelangelo's statue of David should have a drape around it & a bouncer checking IDs, because *gasp* you can see his pee-pee?! :eek: ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter