Disney Wants To Know If People Want Song Of The South Released.

Jeff in BigD

Oldschool DISer
This was posted by someone else on the CB & rather than have you guys go through a labrynth of links, I'll just post the info...

Disney has a web page asking if you'd like to see Song Of The South come to VHS or DVD.

The actually voting window is a java window, so I don't think I'd be able to link it directly, so just click on the link to the left that reads, "This title is not currently for sale by Walt Disney Home Entertainment. If you would like to see Disney release this in the future on video and DVD, click here to let us know."

Tell Disney You Want Song Of The South Released!

I clicked on the link that you pointed out, and all I got was a message that says, can't find server. I think its a dead link. I tried to open it in a new window, and I noticed the url: is a java script.

I don't think it is working.

Thanks Jeff. My vote has been cast. Should I have mentioned that I already own a pirate copy;)

I think I signed this a while ago....

DVCDAVE,
I had the same problem, but then I tried again and it came up OK.
maybe their site is getting too many hits at once.

That is the first movie I remember seeing. Even though there may be some public outrage by African-Americans. I think it should be out again. After all it is a part of history and what we don't learn from history we repeat.

I loved that movie!!!

:Pinkbounc :bounce:

Well, I hope my e-mail went through. I clicked on "send" three times and never saw any progress line or anything saying "thank you, your e-mail has been sent".

An anecdote I shared in the e-mail -- I was at WDW earlier this year and overheard a young boy telling his younger brother about Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox. What made this memorable to me was that the two children in question were black.

...is available at http://www.songofthesouth.net/video/. People are now paying $165 or more for copies of the movie converted to NTSC format (for play on North American VCRs).

I was lucky enough to find it last year on Amazon.com/UK for list price (around $25 U.S.) then I had it converted to NTSC format for another $40 or so. Looks like you can no longer do this as Disney has stopped distributing the movie world-wide.

That has been there for months.

The same "let us know" link is, and always has been included on the page for any Disney movie that is currently out of print. I can only hope that someone is tallying the results, and that action will be taken. But since I would assume that SOTS would be one the highest feedback generators of all, and that there is no sign that it is to be released, I'm not holding out a lot of hope. Now if only my feedback for Snowball Express is heard...

I wonder if Disney's recent (Dec. '01) decision to pull SotS from world-wide distribution is a sign that it will never be released again. Or perhaps they are considering a new release (in the past there was talk of a special edition which would include a message from a prominent black American like James Earl Jones).

My question has always been, why did they base an attraction on Song of the South, if legions of WDW visitors have never even seen the movie? It's pretty weird if you think about it. My daughter hasn't a clue what Song of the South is, but she loves Splash Mountain. It only makes sense to release it on video. It's a great old movie.

Disney under their current regime is too pc to release the movie!! But it should be released inits entirety and without any type of message from a prominent person of any racial group!!! Put the movie out their and let the people see it and decide on their own what they think of it and dont try too placate any group. They will never be happy and will complain it didnt go far enough.

In reality, Splash Mountain is based on the best selling book The Tales of Brer Rabbit. Song of the South is too, to a large degree. I went out and bought the book and read it to my kids because they liked Splash Mountain soo much. It's a tuff book to read, (both silently and out loud) as it is written in the venacular (southern drawl). But, after a few short chapters, you get used to it. Sometimes, we had to stop reading as itgot so funny we couldn't stop laughing.

In reality, Splash Mountain is based on the best selling book The Tales of Brer Rabbit. Song of the South is too, to a large degree. I went out and bought the book and read it to my kids because they liked Splash Mountain soo much. It's a tuff book to read, (both silently and out loud) as it is written in the venacular (southern drawl). But, after a few short chapters, you get used to it. Sometimes, we had to stop reading as itgot so funny we couldn't stop laughing.

i tried to reach the link and could not. but i would love to see it on DVD. J.P.

To me Song of the South is one of the best movies Disney has ever released!!!

I have to agree with Bob. Release it and let it be. There will always be someone complaining about something, why must we let that rule every little thing? If it was good enough for movie goers in the 40's, it should be good enough for us. All this PC garbage is getting out of hand.

Not only is it a great movie, but it is a double Oscar winner -- it is a historically important film. This current climate of political correctness and, taking this to its critical mass, the nonsense of rewarding blacks who may or may not have been a decendant of slaves, does not lead me to think we will see it anytime soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!