Disney Vacation Club adjusts 2010 Vacation Points charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, the parks seemed a little less full this year than last in December. January definitely felt busier though.

I was there in Dec 2007 and can say we felt Dec 2008 was definitely more crowded ! A group of my friends who were there all said the same thing. The dates both years were approx Dec 4-12. So we have a different perception of the Dec crowds than you. I can't speak for Jan....but I'll be there in about 10 days so curious to see how busy Feb will be with the "buy 4 get 3".

Maria

I truly do not think that DVC could poll ALL of it's members and act accordingly to majority rule. I don't like the banking rules, but I am not as unhappy with the point allocation as some of you are. When it will no longer be fun for me to own DVC, I will try to sell.

Do most of you who are unhappy think that you can have this point allocation reversed? Is that the aim of this post?:confused3 Do you think this is something the administrators will overturn the way the mugs and glasses in studio decision was?

Bobbi:goodvibes

Unfortunately, I don't think they're going to change anything. With the changes over the last few years, the universal complaint has been communication of the changes. While some may be for and some may be against, they can almost always agree that the way things were communicated was poor. And what has changed? Nothing. Communication is still poor.

If they can't get that part fixed -- which should be easy because their changes are still being instituted -- then I don't expect them to fix or back out of anything else.

To borrow a phrase from Dean, I think the only solution left is to 'Vote with your feet'. And I think DVC is fine with that too, as they feel they'll just sell your points to someone else.

Part of the issue is we've been in the system for a long time, so we know what we're missing. New owners ... they still view it as a good deal. :confused3

I was there in Dec 2007 and can say we felt Dec 2008 was definitely more crowded ! A group of my friends who were there all said the same thing. The dates both years were approx Dec 4-12. So we have a different perception of the Dec crowds than you. I can't speak for Jan....but I'll be there in about 10 days so curious to see how busy Feb will be with the "buy 4 get 3".

Maria

I've been there the last few Decembers though, pretty much during the same periods (4-15) ... though one year we did go a little later (15-23) but it was way busier during that period.

I dunno, maybe I just hit a lucky bubble/window this December. :goodvibes:

Overall, Disney does seem to be complaining about attendance though ... so ... :confused3

and hide behind it being an 'enchancement' based on overwhelming member requests. :rolleyes:

In that case, I suggest we start a new round of "overwhelming member requests" like: vouchers for X number of Frozen Mickeys per trip, and Members get all the Mickey-shaped towel animals (CRO guests get only Donald).

How about "members request up to 5 point transfers a year up to 25 pt increments" or "no studio Choice or Adventure week over 100 pts".

Or better yet, "Due to overwhelming member requests all proposed rule changes will be submitted in writing to the membership at least 30 days before implementation for review and approval."

Maria

I was just down for MLK weekend, checked in Thursday before. Definately less people than last year. Went to MK on 1/16, the smallest crowd I have ever encountered there.

And this has been the trend with all their annoucements, and it's not getting better -- if anything, it's worse. Booking Policy Based on Check In Date, Glass Removal, WL Changes, etc, etc. There's absolutely no accountability, they just make the change, say 'Deal with it', and hide behind it being an 'enchancement' based on overwhelming member requests. :rolleyes:

Seems to be two separate issues being addressed:

1. Validity of procedural changes. On this topic, I don't really have any quarrels. I have yet to see ANY evidence to suggest that the booking policy was a mistake (despite the hundreds of posts also devoted to that subject.) This reallocation is long overdue.

The other two are moderate service issues at best. The glassware issue was poorly-conceived and quickly rectified. And I happen to think the waitlist limits are at least reasonable. Others will disagree and that's fine.

Of course, what we're missing in these complaint comments are ANY sort of mention of the positive changes DVC in recent years. Where is acknowledgment of free internet, AP discounts, adding an extra bathroom and sleeper chair to newer resorts, the higher quality furniture and fixtures, better patio furniture, better sofabeds and mattresses, longer hours a member services, enhancements to the member website, and so on.

Pointing to two or three negatives strikes me a sour grapes or suggests that the poster has and axe to grind.

2. As for the issue of communications, I agree it has been lacking at times. But I'm not inclined to let it sour me on the entire product.

In the notice regarding realloction, they didn't just chalk it up to an "enhancement"...they plainly said that it was driven by "the changes in Members' vacationing patterns."

Sammie says that they need to "come out from behind the curtain and quit acting like the Great and Powerful Oz and simply admit they made a mistake and do some explaining." Isn't that EXACTLY what they did on the studio glassware issue? :confused3

I'm all for calling-out DVC when they screw-up...and the lack of communications with BLT owners is a prime example. But a little balance among some of the rants would certainly be welcome. :thumbsup2

Bobbi, KLR-wlv and BWVDreamin',
We need a VB owners and BC reservers group hug!!:grouphug: Where's MG and Mahusky?

A 20% increase on our President's week Sun-Thurs Every-other year plan really stinks. It makes sense (there's a reason why a BC was a great deal during the week) ...but it still stinks.

We will still do the Sun-Thurs. night trips but will have to skip an extra year every 5th trip. So after 10 years we will skip two years instead of one. It will work.

The one place that the charts are negative for us is with the Beach Cottage. The points for weekends were so out-of-sight-high, 143, vs 53 if my memory is correct, that we never considered booking one for a weekend stay. There will probably be more evening out, so we will be buying more VB points. After only 1 BC stay, my DH is hooked. We don't want to go every 3years, but at least every other year, for 3-4 nights. I was very happy with OVIR's until we stayed in a BC, too..it's not all his fault!

My entire reason for purchasing VB points was for a Beach Cottage every now and then - I've never had a difficult time booking any other room category at VB at 5 months out even at spring break. ANd I am not about to purchase more points now because I think there will be further adjustments since they hit their max in 2010 for the BC increases. We are staying for T-Giving this year for the first time. I kind of feel like cancelling since I don't want to get hooked...

As a Vero Beach owner, this is where I suffered the most. I had two seasons where my 50 pts were enough Sun-Thurs. With banking and borrowing, I could at least get 3 nights in a beach cottage and switch to an OVIR for the remaining two nights. Well, the point re-allocation shut me out of any beach cottage night, except for banking and borrowing, only to get TWO nights! My BLT add-on was to give me a chance of 5 nites in a BC at 7 mos. Soooo.....at least I was able to increase my BLT pts. enough to retain this strategy. No way am I going to purchase more VB points. Otherwise, I just lose a year banking and borrowing for an OVIR, so not too much of a deal with the OVIR's.

While I agree with you overall here, I think we have a disagreement in a 'chicken/egg' scenario. For example, you think there is no need for a discount in this period because it sells out. I think it sells out because there is a discount. :)

Then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Demand for that period is currently so high that I don't see bumping it up one or two seasons as driving demand from the current "95% booked 10 months in advance" to the point where there are vacancies.

September deserves to be in the lowest season because there are resorts which do not fill even after 11 months of reservations. Demand is just too low.

Early-December should not be in the same season.

We need a VB owners and BC reservers group hug!!:grouphug: Where's MG and Mahusky?

A 20% increase on our President's week Sun-Thurs Every-other year plan really stinks. It makes sense (there's a reason why a BC was a great deal during the week) ...but it still stinks.

We will still do the Sun-Thurs. night trips but will have to skip an extra year every 5th trip. So after 10 years we will skip two years instead of one. It will work.
Group Hug!!!:grouphug:

Yes, a VB goupies hug!!! Definitely called for!:grouphug:

Seems to be two separate issues being addressed:

1. Validity of procedural changes. On this topic, I don't really have any quarrels. I have yet to see ANY evidence to suggest that the booking policy was a mistake (despite the hundreds of posts also devoted to that subject.) This reallocation is long overdue.

The other two are moderate service issues at best. The glassware issue was poorly-conceived and quickly rectified. And I happen to think the waitlist limits are at least reasonable. Others will disagree and that's fine.

Of course, what we're missing in these complaint comments are ANY sort of mention of the positive changes DVC in recent years. Where is acknowledgment of free internet, AP discounts, adding an extra bathroom and sleeper chair to newer resorts, the higher quality furniture and fixtures, better patio furniture, better sofabeds and mattresses, longer hours a member services, enhancements to the member website, and so on.

Pointing to two or three negatives strikes me a sour grapes or suggests that the poster has and axe to grind.

2. As for the issue of communications, I agree it has been lacking at times. But I'm not inclined to let it sour me on the entire product.

In the notice regarding realloction, they didn't just chalk it up to an "enhancement"...they plainly said that it was driven by "the changes in Members' vacationing patterns."

Sammie says that they need to "come out from behind the curtain and quit acting like the Great and Powerful Oz and simply admit they made a mistake and do some explaining." Isn't that EXACTLY what they did on the studio glassware issue? :confused3

I'm all for calling-out DVC when they screw-up...and the lack of communications with BLT owners is a prime example. But a little balance among some of the rants would certainly be welcome. :thumbsup2

I completely agree. We have only been members for a few years now and I've felt most of the changes we have seen in this short period of time have been for the better. I do understand the problems that these point reallocations have caused for some but believe it will be best for the membership as a whole over time. I keep having to remind myself that we are the vocal minority on these DVC boards and our usage as a group doesn't necessarily reflect the overall usage or sentiment of the membership at large.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Demand for that period is currently so high that I don't see bumping it up one or two seasons as driving demand from the current "95% booked 10 months in advance" to the point where there are vacancies.

September deserves to be in the lowest season because there are resorts which do not fill even after 11 months of reservations. Demand is just too low.

Early-December should not be in the same season.

:thumbsup2, Now I used to do II sightings of DVC units on the TUG board(I have an RCI week, but I'm using it this year so I've been out of the DVC watching game). You would find a lot of Aug/Sept weeks being deposited in II, which tells me it's not a prime time for DVC'ers to book. Don't remember ever seeing a DVC deposit of any size for Dec1-14, but have seen a couple of studios for checkout Xmas day or the 26th.

I understand the allocation, but am sad because I am one of those who bought a small contract (100 pts) in order to go every other year, stay in a 2 bdrm at BCV Sun-Thurs. Well, that is blown for me now. Not everyone has loads of points or can even afford it. I wish they would have given us a heads up and an opportunity to talk to a rep in order to fix the situation if it does indeed impact ourtravel needs.

Now I'm guessing I will just stay on property one less night. I never thought it was smart for the weekends to be so much more expensive - did they not think we would avoid staying on the expensive nights! I'm just really, really sad because I love staying at the Beach Club, and one less night feels awful!
:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

But if we're talking every third year, aren't we dealing with numbers in the 30-40% range? :confused3

Yes, but you're still putting the increased demand on weeknights only.
I doubt that there has been a corresponding increase in weekend demand every third year to mitigate that weeknight increase. As such the system was out of balance and needed to be adjusted in the hope that demand flattens across all days of the week.

I wish they would have given us a heads up and an opportunity to talk to a rep in order to fix the situation if it does indeed impact ourtravel needs.

You do have the opportunity to fix the situation if it impacts you, simply add points between now and your 2010 travel dates. I'm truly not trying to be snarky, but really, how else would you expect to fix the situation? Is there another solution? I don't know of any. :confused3

I agree the announcement was handled very poorly, but no matter how it was handled, the end result would likely be the same.

I agree with you Chuck S ! But the problem was we were promised the points would never go up and some did
I being the savey New Yorker knew it was a lie and impossible but I was assured by my salesman and on this board that points never went up in the past and will never go up in the future
but they did

There are lots of ideas how DVC could have lessen the impact of this change. I have posted a few as have others.

boowkormde

I agree with you Chuck S ! But the problem was we were promised the points would never go up and some did
I being the savey New Yorker knew it was a lie and impossible but I was assured by my salesman and on this board that points never went up in the past and will never go up in the future
but they did

Points have gone up in the past, just not at all resorts at the same time. OKW in 1996 had a full re-allocation. We also used to have a lottery system for Christmas week stays. They could return to that, also, if needed. It was a mess, though.

You submitted your name, if you were chosen, you could reserve the dates. If you did not reserve the dates after you were chosen. you could go back on the list for next year. If you declined the following year, you were removed from the list. Like I said, it was a mess, and I'm glad I didn't travel that time of year.

There was also no reference to home resort priority for the lottery, Hilton Head and Vero Beach users had the same priority in the lottery as OKW owners.

I understand that, and I'm considering it. I hate whiners, but understand, I just need a place to express my disappointment. Our budget is tight (thus the small contract and every other year trip), so adding on isn't as easy as picking up the phone. I was really looking forward to our 2010 trip and showing the grandparents around our new "home away from home" and now I have to change our plans or figure out a solution. All I am saying is I'm sad and feel a bit sucker punched, because I was clueless until a couple minutes ago. Sue me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter