Disney travel use Purex ultrapacks stained laundry

Uh-oh...I sent these to college with both my sophomore son and freshman daughter! I can't afford to replace ANYTHING right now, so I need to send something else! I don't know if this will help you, but I make my own laundry detergent and it works GREAT!! My kids refused to take it to school, though :confused3
I was looking for something less fragrant and more natural, and found several recipes. I tweaked my recipe until it was perfect...my sister uses it on my BIL's and nephew's baseball uniforms. I have had good luck soaking stained items in my detergent in hot water. Here's the recipe for the powdered, which I think works better than the liquid:

1 finely-grated bar of Fels Naptha soap
2 cups washing soda (NOT baking soda)
2 cups Borax
1 cup baking soda
*1 cup oxi-clean or color-safe powder bleach* (optional)--or can just add a scoop to each individual load as needed

For my HE washer, I use about 1/4 cup for a medium to large load, less for a small load. I wash most things in warm water, except the usual delicates, sweaters, cheerleading uniforms-type things. It may not be convenient to travel with, but it does a good job at home for me. I use a combination of dryer balls and a homemade fabric softener in my dryer. There are several recipes for softener as well, but this is what works best for us:

In a gallon jug, mix 32 oz. white vinegar,
*8 oz. any cheap hair conditioner (optional)--I sometimes skip this or use less than 8 oz.*
Fill the rest of the jug with hot water
*20 drops of Essential oil of choice (optional)--lavender is good*
I pour 2-3 oz. of this in my fabric softener compartment. You do not smell the vinegar on your clothes. They just have a light, clean smell, not that overwhelming smell of the laundry aisle at Walmart!
Good luck saving a few items...

I bought these and washed a load of my nursing scrubs; I thought I left a Chapstick in one of my pockets. I have done that before. Then I washed a load of sheets and they looked like they had grease spots all over them. That's when I put 2 and 2 together and figured out what happened. I then did a google search and found that lots of people were complaining about them and never used them again. I was not able to get the spots out of the scrubs and had to replace them.

I have no idea how to get rid of the spots but I thought I would tell you about what we pack to take to Disney you can buy them on Amazobn if you cant find them at your Target or Walmart .

They are made by Purex and it is a sheet that has the softener and the soap on it you throw it in and forget about it till you see it all limp in the dryer LOL
We have to use the washer almost every night in our unit due to a very messy pair of grandkids :thumbsup2

Just to add to the general hints for stains - I use clorox non-bleaching wipes instead of a Tide pen or the laundry wipes. (I like it a LOT better than a Tide pen, actually - I never "oversoap" anymore.) It works just well or better, and it also works to clean off surfaces. I either buy the little travel packs or buy the big pack and drop some in a ziplock baggie to keep in my car and my purse.

No wonder they've been marked down so often with coupons and buy one get one lately!

I thought they were wrangling to get people to try them but no, they are probably getting rid of them.

Too bad! I have a couple packets and yeah, I was gonna save one for our Disney Trip. I also have one Tide Pod packet and that'll be the one to go.

Yeah, towels and play clothes. Who can afford new clothes nowadays?

Thanks for sharing that, I am going to let my son know so they don't think it was just me.
I started looking online after a title caught my eye on the 3 in 1 sheets that left spots on work shirts. Finallly the person had the cost of the shirts reimbursed. I had a sample pack of the 3 in 1's that I do not think I will use on anything good now.

The customer service opened a claim, I know it was not a lot of items, but I rarely buy anything new for myself. Many nighties were thread bare and faded. THe new undies and tank were a treat for comfort. I did not have the item labels as they were in the water soaking until I got someone from PUREX to hopefully have something that would remove the dye this time.

It must have been the pack did not instantly disolve and dispurse throughout, there was plenty of water in the machine. I am just hoping for a cost offset for replacing the items.

Biggest lesson learned. Buy my tide packets and take dryer sheets on vacations.

Has any one used the washer added beads of fabric softener? I used a few bottles on general laundry, but my own I use Lavender liquid. No one else likes the lavender.
They go in with the wash cycle....now I am concerned to spotting on fabrics.

While I am on a roll, my Pooh size chest catches drips of anything. I have stooped to using a napkin either held in place or tucked in....but inevidable I will get a stain.
Grease never seems to come out, making the family bacon, cooking hamburg for speghetti sauce, etc. The first time a new top, I screwed up and bango salad dressing stains.
I am the queen of tide sticks, shout wipes, and clorox stick in my purse. :worship:

I always used to start cooking dinner in my work clothes when I came home, and this would happen to me all the time!!!:rotfl: I use Carbona Stain Devils for Fat and cooking Oils I even used it on some stains that had been washed/dried a few THOUSAND times and they came out!!!. They make a bunch of Stain Devils for Motor Oils, Inks, Grass etc. I noticed yesterday that they also have Dye Run remover, I think it is a powder packet that you mix with water and soak. When I am washing new or newer dark clothes I use those color catcher sheets, I think from Shout. :confused3 Maybe they would work for you???

Uh-oh...I sent these to college with both my sophomore son and freshman daughter! I can't afford to replace ANYTHING right now, so I need to send something else! I don't know if this will help you, but I make my own laundry detergent and it works GREAT!! My kids refused to take it to school, though :confused3
I was looking for something less fragrant and more natural, and found several recipes. I tweaked my recipe until it was perfect...my sister uses it on my BIL's and nephew's baseball uniforms. I have had good luck soaking stained items in my detergent in hot water. Here's the recipe for the powdered, which I think works better than the liquid:

1 finely-grated bar of Fels Naptha soap
2 cups washing soda (NOT baking soda)
2 cups Borax
1 cup baking soda
*1 cup oxi-clean or color-safe powder bleach* (optional)--or can just add a scoop to each individual load as needed

For my HE washer, I use about 1/4 cup for a medium to large load, less for a small load. I wash most things in warm water, except the usual delicates, sweaters, cheerleading uniforms-type things. It may not be convenient to travel with, but it does a good job at home for me. I use a combination of dryer balls and a homemade fabric softener in my dryer. There are several recipes for softener as well, but this is what works best for us:

In a gallon jug, mix 32 oz. white vinegar,
*8 oz. any cheap hair conditioner (optional)--I sometimes skip this or use less than 8 oz.*
Fill the rest of the jug with hot water
*20 drops of Essential oil of choice (optional)--lavender is good*
I pour 2-3 oz. of this in my fabric softener compartment. You do not smell the vinegar on your clothes. They just have a light, clean smell, not that overwhelming smell of the laundry aisle at Walmart!
Good luck saving a few items...

Your recipe is similar to mine but slightly different. I do mine like this~

1 bar of Fels Neptha, grated
1 cup of Washing Soda (not baking soda)
1 cup of Borax

Mix, use 1 T per load, less for smaller loads.

I love it!! It works GREAT and it's so much cheaper then Tide. I have to make more this weekend actually, I make 2 batches at a time because we have 4 people in the house. 2 batches last about 2-3 months. I haven't done the softener yet but I like your recipe! I may have to try it soon.

I have no idea how to get rid of the spots but I thought I would tell you about what we pack to take to Disney you can buy them on Amazobn if you cant find them at your Target or Walmart .

They are made by Purex and it is a sheet that has the softener and the soap on it you throw it in and forget about it till you see it all limp in the dryer LOL
We have to use the washer almost every night in our unit due to a very messy pair of grandkids :thumbsup2

The OP was talking about Purex sheets, that's what left stains behind. :)

Tide Pods aren't overly expensive and it really is great to have them available for trips or when you run out of detergent. lol

Thanks for posting this....I'd actually thought about the Tide pods for our trip but I think I might stick with our regular liquid just to avoid any issues. The washers at Disney are so small that I can see one of these things getting caught up in our clothing. Wonder how long it takes to dissolve? Like if you put it in the water first?

So you are all talking about those 'dishwasher detergent' like gel packs that have the laundry detergent in them, right? I saw those at the store a couple of weeks ago and thought they would be good for travel...THANK YOU for the tips to not use them ANYTIME! I do not need ruined clothes. :(

Sorry that happened-ehat a bummer! I don't have any awesome stain removal tips. Just wanted to pipe in also about Tide Pods-I've used them on everything, including dress clothes, and they worked really well. OP, I realize my comment doesn't help you now. :( Here's to better laundry experiences in the future. °O°

Your recipe is similar to mine but slightly different. I do mine like this~

1 bar of Fels Neptha, grated
1 cup of Washing Soda (not baking soda)
1 cup of Borax

Mix, use 1 T per load, less for smaller loads.

I love it!! It works GREAT and it's so much cheaper then Tide. I have to make more this weekend actually, I make 2 batches at a time because we have 4 people in the house. 2 batches last about 2-3 months. I haven't done the softener yet but I like your recipe! I may have to try it soon.

The OP was talking about Purex sheets, that's what left stains behind. :)

Tide Pods aren't overly expensive and it really is great to have them available for trips or when you run out of detergent. lol

It actually was the Pods, but Purex brand. Then I read about the Purex 3-1 sheets doing the spots too. I am done with the Pods. Too much risk for this to happen again.

I love the recipes for home made and am going to do that when we get back. I made a few zip locks of the Surf, what I had from SAMs Club and dryer sheets.

I just picked up the Pods thinking small to pack, but no way am I going to chance it on my laundry again. I have one single use of Tide to pack, but Tide has conformed to the low phosphate deal to the point it's not my Mothers, Tide anymore!

Saw a Baggie of the shout wipes at an Amish store/stand for $2.00 about
40 of them. They are in every purse and car.
Have to pick up the grease removers too.

Took photos, the stains and labels, receipts hoping for refund and replacement. Not a big load but e Rey new item for our cruise and trip.

If you already have Fels Naptha in the house, use it to get the grease stains out of your clothes. It works great on all the grease spots I miss on the front of my husband's shirts that I miss until they have gone through both the washer and dryer. Just rub it into the spot with hot water and let it sit for a few minutes before you wash the item.

I use Purex detergent and now I'm wondering if some of the spots on our clothes that I find aren't detergent :confused:.

I found a way to neutralize the pods so they don't stain. (I have 4 bags of this stuff due to couponing!)

I saved an empty plastic All Detergent bottle and took out the plastic no spill slot at the top. (It snaps off if you pull hard enough) Then I put a Purex Pod in there and add 2 cups of water and let it dissolve with the cap on overnight. Then I add it to the wash next time I do laundry without any worry. Be sure to shake it before use.

I saw more of these things on sale. Don't think I'm gonna get them even if they are free with coupons! Clothes are too expensive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter