Disney quick service to begin offering printed allergie info menus

I have always enjoyed CHH and there are things I can eat. I avoid fried foods at Disney on their advice. My allergy is ingestion and no airborne so I cannot see any reason not to eat there. What this is going to do is cause people to be less honest about their allergies so they can eat where they want.
I have to say that the CS restaurants were great with my allergies of dairy, shellfish, mango and aspartame. If what I wanted was not safe they suggested alternative that were. If FF came with the meal they gladly substituted carrots, apple slices or grapes. I had to avoid sugar free items including sodas because of the aspartame but I have to do that anyplace.

You are so right I hope Disney fixes it before someone get sick that didn't have to. I like these menus so guest who have a common allergies can know what to expect. I don't like the fact that their putting safe. Fried food in a. Place that use sea food so guest with a common shellfish allergy and a common gluten free allergy is not affected. Te thing with cs is they have a lot more to offer wise of space and product.

I don't know what your DS allergies are, but my mother has Celiac (wheat and Gluten) and my DS has peanut and Tree Nut, they both have eaten Chicken Strips at Cosmic Rays. My mother has said that CHH has the best Chicken Strips of all of Disney, but you can get them at Cosmic Rays. Well, hopefully we still can.

I don't know what your DS allergies are, but my mother has Celiac (wheat and Gluten) and my DS has peanut and Tree Nut, they both have eaten Chicken Strips at Cosmic Rays. My mother has said that CHH has the best Chicken Strips of all of Disney, but you can get them at Cosmic Rays. Well, hopefully we still can.

That must be new because they've never been available there in all of my visits. Well, we haven't actually checked every trip but the times we've eaten there they didn't have them and they've never been listed as available there in any of the lists of what allergy foods are available at which locations. I wonder if the manager took it upon herself to go to CHH to grab some for you and just didn't tell you? I'd plan for a backup choice of food at Cosmic Ray's just in case they're not there. I think your is the only report I've ever read of them being there so I'm guessing you got some major pixie dust in being able to get them there.

They had these a few weeks ago at Columbia Harbor house. It is essentially the same as the lists special diets give out, so if their pdf can answer all your questions then you are all set.
If you have a combination of allergy categories (say peanut and dairy) it may not be helpful.

Unfortunately for my son, this printed menu marked the day that CHH refuses to feed him. We ate there twice one week, then on Saturday they had this menu and the manager said because of the printed warning he would not prepare food for anyone he knew may have a potential air contamination issue. (He said even if we dont care, he knew shellfish could be in the air so he cared) They printed on the bottom of the menu that if you have any fish or shellfish allergy they recomend you try another location. That's nice, but they were also the only location with allergy tenders. :( His tests show a mild shrimp allergy and we are not at all concerned with cross contamination as he has never had a reaction to it we just do not directly give him shrimp.

When we were at the register I asked to page somebody for allergies and the cashier's first response was to hand me the page and say this is now everything off menu they offer, so Im keeping my fingers crossed it was just bad timing.

This may help for single allergies, but I am a bit worried this may make things more difficult for complex issues.

Can I ask then why you even mention that he has a shrimp allergy? If it is that mild and you are not worried about cross contamination, why mention it? When you know you are going to be getting chicken strips and fries and not something that might have shrimp. I'm honestly curious. I'm gluten free and have been for my entire life (20+ years). I also have a very mild allergy to apples. When I am talking to CS places I don't mention my allergy to apples since I am getting a gluten free burger or chicken strips. I guess I don't see the point of mentioning an allergy that you are not worried about.

However, I think the chef denying you even when you said it didn't matter is HUGE problem. I have said it before on this board, the chef should not get to make the final decision on what you eat. His job is to give you all the information you need for YOU to make a decision. I would have not stood for him denying you even after you said it was okay (and I had a situation at WDW once where I did say something to someone that was trying to deny my friend something). That makes my blood boil, when people think they can make those kinds of decisions for you. They are not living your life.

Can I ask then why you even mention that he has a shrimp allergy? If it is that mild and you are not worried about cross contamination, why mention it? When you know you are going to be getting chicken strips and fries and not something that might have shrimp. I'm honestly curious. I'm gluten free and have been for my entire life (20+ years). I also have a very mild allergy to apples. When I am talking to CS places I don't mention my allergy to apples since I am getting a gluten free burger or chicken strips. I guess I don't see the point of mentioning an allergy that you are not worried about.

It's mostly out of habit.
He has 9 allergies, when asked about his allergies I just list all 9 every time. It prevents strange situations where shrimp is just in something you wouldn't expect. Like if you ordered apples and they made them with applesauce without telling you, might suddenly be an unexpected problem. Most of his allergies we don't worry about cross contamination, but I don't want him directly ingesting it as that's what his allergist recommends.

My son has a shellfish allergy, and he always has the chicken at CHH without any problem. The manager said he was worried about air contamination? So they aren't cooked together?

jodifla said:
My son has a shellfish allergy, and he always has the chicken at CHH without any problem. The manager said he was worried about air contamination? So they aren't cooked together?

Yes, he specifically told me that due to the printed line on the menu he is not allowed to serve anybody with a fish or shellfish allergy because it could be in the air... I suspect its just him not really understanding that not every person with allergies is identical. If it were Disney policy to be worried about an air issue they would have stopped us at the door. No, they arent cooked together. That came up and he was certain he was not able to accomodate even though there would be no actual food contact.

I was thinking yesterday and it may make this whole thing make more sense to the other poster that I dont eat shrimp anyways, so my son has never had it. It showed up on his tests so we avoid it but its not like he had been eating it before. All of his other allergens we discovered and then had testing confirm.

Yes, he specifically told me that due to the printed line on the menu he is not allowed to serve anybody with a fish or shellfish allergy because it could be in the air... I suspect its just him not really understanding that not every person with allergies is identical. If it were Disney policy to be worried about an air issue they would have stopped us at the door. No, they arent cooked together. That came up and he was certain he was not able to accomodate even though there would be no actual food contact.

I was thinking yesterday and it may make this whole thing make more sense to the other poster that I dont eat shrimp anyways, so my son has never had it. It showed up on his tests so we avoid it but its not like he had been eating it before. All of his other allergens we discovered and then had testing confirm.

Interesting as my older daughter has a severe shrimp allergy and cannot be in the kitchen when it is boiled or steamed. She has been to CHH many times and has never had a problem there. There is veggie sandwich that we both love that they serve there. My allergy is not as severe and developed later in life so airborn contamination is not an issue for me.

I'm honestly curious. I'm gluten free and have been for my entire life (20+ years). I also have a very mild allergy to apples. When I am talking to CS places I don't mention my allergy to apples since I am getting a gluten free burger or chicken strips. I guess I don't see the point of mentioning an allergy that you are not worried about.

With some of these products you don't really know what is in them especially products that are made to be allergy safe can have some unusual ingredients. I'm also allergic to apples and at one point the gluten free rolls did have apple BTW. So if it's something you really shouldn't eat you should mention it. Another hidden one is the mickey shaped cheese ravioli have sesame oil. I'm much more cautious about mentioning stuff on vacation because I don't want to ruin everyone's vacation by getting sick.

I've had troubles getting served even when it's food I consider safe. I have a mild tree nut/peanut allergy. It's unusual but I'm allowed to have food that is produced in the same factory with but at some locations at WDW they refuse to let me have it. I won't lie because I do want to be sure they are cautious about changing gloves, etc.

I've had troubles getting served even when it's food I consider safe. I have a mild tree nut/peanut allergy. It's unusual but I'm allowed to have food that is produced in the same factory with but at some locations at WDW they refuse to let me have it. I won't lie because I do want to be sure they are cautious about changing gloves, etc.

They can't risk you getting sick even if you say it okay it liability for them sorry.

They can't risk you getting sick even if you say it okay it liability for them sorry.

No. An adult gets to choose what they want to or can eat. They know their situation far better than an employee at a theme park. I would (and have in the past) have words with someone who wanted to make that decision for me.

If they just don't want to risk people getting sick then don't serve food.

No. An adult gets to choose what they want to or can eat. They know their situation far better than an employee at a theme park. I would (and have in the past) have words with someone who wanted to make that decision for me.

If they just don't want to risk people getting sick then don't serve food.

You can't even place an order at WDW once you mention an allergy. You have to wait for a manager.

No they don't because when said adult gets sick and sues Disney it not fair for Disney to have to pay when they told you the risk. They have a legal right to protect them selves from law suits and people making claims to get them to pay. If your my truly okay with it them you wouldn't bring it up but their is some risk so you do being it up to protect your self. Sometimes company's how sad it come to has to step in and protect you from getting sick. You may be okay with it being produced in same factory every single time but the one time you get sick you not going to try to get Disney to pay the hospital bill.

Unless your willing to sign a form saying you won't sue Disney or the cms if you get sick thy don't have to risk it.

I can't comprehend most of what this post is trying to say and gave up trying, but I'll try to respond.

For example, there is a difference between having a milk allergy and lactose intolerance. Someone with lactose intolerance can't have ice cream, or macaroni and cheese, or whatever. But they can have bread that was baked with butter and milk, or chocolate sauce that has a little bit of dairy in it. Every allergy is not a severe anaphylactic reaction. There are different severities of allergies. Only the person who lives with the allergy (or their parent, if it's a child) knows exactly what they can and can't have. Just because they don't want to have a whole bowl of ice cream doesn't mean they can't have the chocolate sauce on top of of Rice Dream ice cream. And a counter service worker, or even the manager, trying to dictate what other people can eat is 100% wrong.

I'm an adult, I make my own decisions. And I will fight for that every time I have to.

You can't even place an order at WDW once you mention an allergy. You have to wait for a manager.

I haven't been to WDW in a couple years, but at Disneyland now at some restaurants they just have the option to put it into the computer and you don't have to talk to anyone but the cashier. But honestly, it's even better when you can talk to a manager so they can get a clearer idea of what you can and can't eat. No, I can't eat gluten because I'm intolerant. No, I'm not worried about cross contamination or glove switching. Or, yes I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat ice cream but the chocolate sauce on top of Rice Dream is fine.

I haven't been to WDW in a couple years, but at Disneyland now at some restaurants they just have the option to put it into the computer and you don't have to talk to anyone but the cashier. But honestly, it's even better when you can talk to a manager so they can get a clearer idea of what you can and can't eat. No, I can't eat gluten because I'm intolerant. No, I'm not worried about cross contamination or glove switching. Or, yes I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat ice cream but the chocolate sauce on top of Rice Dream is fine.

That explains your confusion, WDW does not have that option, you say the A word- you wait. You mention any food "issue" and you stand a REALLLY good chance of having to wait for a manager.

That explains your confusion, WDW does not have that option, you say the A word- you wait. You mention any food "issue" and you stand a REALLLY good chance of having to wait for a manager.

Oh no, I've dealt with it at Disney World plenty of times. I was just pointing at the fact that sometimes at DL you don't have to do that any more. It's kinda nice, although sometimes a perk of having an allergy at DL or WDW means you get to skip the counter service line to talk to a manager.

Oh no, I've dealt with it at Disney World plenty of times. I was just pointing at the fact that sometimes at DL you don't have to do that any more. It's kinda nice, although sometimes a perk of having an allergy at DL or WDW means you get to skip the counter service line to talk to a manager.

Perk? We have not had the experience of getting to skip the line. We wait in line to get to the cashier to have to wait for the manager. Then wait while they cook safe food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter