Disney on Husband's Terms

I wanted to let you know that you are NOT alone!!

My DH likes Disney, but like yours, he has some rules too:
  • No character meals--I snuck Tusker House breakfast on him once, and he simply stayed put with his arms crossed each time one came to the table. He would take a picture of me and the character, but wouldn't' interact with them. Until Mickey put out his hand for my camera after hubby finished taking our picture, and then Mickey handed it to me and put his arms around DH--after that he said NO MORE characters! He especially has an aversion to face characters--they make him uncomfortable. He thinks all characters M&G's are for little ones. Although, I bet I could sway him with some star war characters. lol
  • no waiting on parades--he doesn't like crowds he is not in control of (he's a police officer, and he gets anxious in crowds when he doesn't have control of the situation) so, lots of people crowded around and sometimes pushing/shoving--it's something he can't do well.
  • no long lines--this again goes with his crowd issue. We won't wait if it's longer than 40mins or so.
  • no crowded CS meals--again, it's the public claustrophobia thing....we prefer TS meals and signatures anyways
  • no standing on buses--if it's looks too full, we wait for another one.
  • Will only do one Wishes/Castle lightup show per trip and one Illuminations because of the crowd thing as well. We have yet to do Fantasmic, and have it planned, but since it's seated, he won't have an issue.
  • no backwards rides, or upside down rides--no Everest, no RRC, etc. He will tolerate TOT but ONLY if going on a fairly empty stomach. lol
  • and he really doesn't care for what he calls "toddler" rides. He doesn't like Dumbo or Aladdin's Carpets, or any ride he deems are just for small people. He has agreed to riding Dumbo with me on our upcoming trip, but only because we are taking a Disney hiatius for a couple years after this one. But he's nixed it the past few trips.
  • no selfies or photopass--he hates getting his picture taken! But, he will allow one or two pictures to "document the trip".
  • no ears--he won't wear them. I'm allowed a pair, but only 1. This is more of a money issue than a "loudness" issue though. But he hates anything that will draw extra attention to him or myself.
  • I don't' Pin Trade, but he hates the idea of it. Thinks its obnoxious/intrusive. If I did do it, he would have to be somewhere else while I did it.
  • Be on Time--he will not "chance it" with FP+ or ADR grace times. Once we were running late for our 7DMT FPs, and we got to the gate 9 minutes outside of our window due to monorail issues. He refused to go into the FP line to even try!! I had to go in by myself, and once he saw my mickey-head turn green, then he got in line. He was two people behind me by then, and he refused to walk past them to meet me. I had to let them cut in front of me so we could go on the ride together. He's a weird stickler for rules (gotta be that cop thing!).
  • NO PDA--he will hold hands every now and then, but he won't let me steal a kiss on a dark ride or during wishes unless I really catch him by surprise. Last year at (my one allowed) Wishes, he did put his hands at my waist, and I about passed out in shock. Guess he was really moved by the show!

All in all, trips with the DH are pretty good. I may not get to do EVERYTHING I want to do, but he's been pretty good about stretching what he's comfortable with to allow me to have a good time. I let go of some of my MUST-SEE-AND-DO-ALL-THE-THINGS attitude that I normally have on a vacation, and try to let things happen as they go, at a more relaxed pace. It's all about a little give and take, and understanding my hubby's quirks and being more accommodating.

And my dream vacation is to go to Prague, Vienna, and Budapest and walk and see everything

Just wanted to say we did this trip 2 years ago and it was fabulous! DH loved it!

My DH pretty much lets me run with the trips Disney and other trips. But I haven't gotten him to wear family shirts yet. I also got him to stay value this trip we shall see how that goes....

NO dining reservations
NO Fast Passes until we get to the park
NO lines (only ride if wait time is under 30 minutes)

He does realize 2 and 3 above don't fit together right? Why wouldn't he want FP+ set beforehand, so he doesn't have to wait for a few rides he may actually like? And no dining rez? As long as he knows he can't just walk into any restaurant he wants.

I get it, but some of his "demands" sound pretty childish and selfish. How about "let's talk about it and do what makes sense for both of us?" You can't wear a Mickey shirt? Hoping he's joking about that right? If DH said that to me, I would wear the ears too. And a birthday badge to really rub it in.

hskaggs11 thank you for your support err input, haha. My DH works a very stressful job too, he's an aviation final inspector, I guess you can say lives are in his hands. He sounds very much like your husband, especially when it comes to the bus rides!

You are 100% right about give and take! The fact my DH is still willing to go to WDW is proof he's not completely closed off to WDW. With every trip I try to get him to try something new. He likes Olaf, Grumpy (for obvious reasons), Dory (reminds him of me) and Wreck-it-Ralph. I'm hoping he'll do Test Track this coming trip.

hskaggs11 thank you for your support err input, haha. My DH works a very stressful job too, he's an aviation final inspector, I guess you can say lives are in his hands. He sounds very much like your husband, especially when it comes to the bus rides!

You are 100% right about give and take! The fact my DH is still willing to go to WDW is proof he's not completely closed off to WDW. With every trip I try to get him to try something new. He likes Olaf, Grumpy (for obvious reasons), Dory (reminds him of me) and Wreck-it-Ralph. I'm hoping he'll do Test Track this coming trip.

Yes, I think our Hubbys would get along. Maybe we can send them off together, and you and I go out in MK all mickey-binged out, hahaha!! Test Track is also one we've skipped in the past too, that I'm hoping to get him to ride this time.

NO dining reservations

He does realize 2 and 3 above don't fit together right? Why wouldn't he want FP+ set beforehand, so he doesn't have to wait for a few rides he may actually like? And no dining rez? As long as he knows he can't just walk into any restaurant he wants.

I get it, but some of his "demands" sound pretty childish and selfish. How about "let's talk about it and do what makes sense for both of us?" You can't wear a Mickey shirt? Hoping he's joking about that right? If DH said that to me, I would wear the ears too. And a birthday badge to really rub it in.
That's my thought too.

I'll just say OP, you are more woman than me. I wouldn't put up with that crap. Demands do not sit well with me at all.

That's my thought too.

I'll just say OP, you are more woman than me. I wouldn't put up with that crap. Demands do not sit well with me at all.

I tend to look on the bright side of things and DH has been known to bend a little. ;)

Wow - that's quite the list! My DH is way more flexible than me. Has to drag me onto the drop rides, but I'm going to rally for the Tower of Terror, and do my best not to use the wimp out elevator. Just knowing there is a wimp out elevator makes it easier, somehow :).

Wow - that's quite the list! My DH is way more flexible than me. Has to drag me onto the drop rides, but I'm going to rally for the Tower of Terror, and do my best not to use the wimp out elevator. Just knowing there is a wimp out elevator makes it easier, somehow :).

Where pray tell is the wimp elevator? I dislike Tower of Terror but I put my big girl panties on and ride it with my husband and son, who absolutely love it!

I would just leave him home. No way is my DH going to tell me I can't wear certain shoes or my lanyard or whatever else I want. I'm booking FPs so I know I get to ride the rides I want to. Same with ADRs. If I want to wear Mickey ears, I'm wearing Mickey ears--not just when he tells me it's okay!

His list is beyond ridiculous and I can't imagine anyone actually putting up with it!

He's compromising by going? I don't think so. He's compromising by getting you to do exactly everything he tells you to.

Just a bit controlling?????

Where pray tell is the wimp elevator? I dislike Tower of Terror but I put my big girl panties on and ride it with my husband and son, who absolutely love it!

AKA the chicken exit. :crazy2:

"After moving through the lobby section and watching the pre-show video, you can still opt out of the ride discreetly through the “chicken exit.” Just be aware that the “chicken exit” is actually an elevator down to the gift shop. Just tell the attendant that’s directing people to stand in front of the various elevators that you would rather not ride."

http://www.easywdw.com/rides/twilight-zone-tower-of-terror-disney-hollywood-studios-review/

Oh my word that's quite a few rules.... I just know i'd slip up and break some, hope he is lenient lol. If he doesn't care for it why does don't you only take solo or friend/kid trips? I guess you two just have a really giving relationship.

The only terms my H had for our upcoming trip is staying at WL(not a problem:D), having only one ressie a day, plus CRT breakfast(I may sneak in a couple more :rolleyes1) and that we need to take it easy and not rush around (I'll try really hard:P). As for my wardrobe, the only time he has an issue with anything I wear is if I wear a pattern that messes with his eyes. I wear Disney hoodies, t-shirts and bags everywhere and anywhere, especially at WDW. Can't wait to check out new Disney shoes! I sincerely hope you have a great trip and that he comes around a little!

I wanted to let you know that you are NOT alone!!

My DH likes Disney, but like yours, he has some rules too:
  • No character meals--I snuck Tusker House breakfast on him once, and he simply stayed put with his arms crossed each time one came to the table. He would take a picture of me and the character, but wouldn't' interact with them. Until Mickey put out his hand for my camera after hubby finished taking our picture, and then Mickey handed it to me and put his arms around DH--after that he said NO MORE characters! He especially has an aversion to face characters--they make him uncomfortable. He thinks all characters M&G's are for little ones. Although, I bet I could sway him with some star war characters. lol
  • no waiting on parades--he doesn't like crowds he is not in control of (he's a police officer, and he gets anxious in crowds when he doesn't have control of the situation) so, lots of people crowded around and sometimes pushing/shoving--it's something he can't do well.
  • no long lines--this again goes with his crowd issue. We won't wait if it's longer than 40mins or so.
  • no crowded CS meals--again, it's the public claustrophobia thing....we prefer TS meals and signatures anyways
  • no standing on buses--if it's looks too full, we wait for another one.
  • Will only do one Wishes/Castle lightup show per trip and one Illuminations because of the crowd thing as well. We have yet to do Fantasmic, and have it planned, but since it's seated, he won't have an issue.
  • no backwards rides, or upside down rides--no Everest, no RRC, etc. He will tolerate TOT but ONLY if going on a fairly empty stomach. lol
  • and he really doesn't care for what he calls "toddler" rides. He doesn't like Dumbo or Aladdin's Carpets, or any ride he deems are just for small people. He has agreed to riding Dumbo with me on our upcoming trip, but only because we are taking a Disney hiatius for a couple years after this one. But he's nixed it the past few trips.
  • no selfies or photopass--he hates getting his picture taken! But, he will allow one or two pictures to "document the trip".
  • no ears--he won't wear them. I'm allowed a pair, but only 1. This is more of a money issue than a "loudness" issue though. But he hates anything that will draw extra attention to him or myself.
  • I don't' Pin Trade, but he hates the idea of it. Thinks its obnoxious/intrusive. If I did do it, he would have to be somewhere else while I did it.
  • Be on Time--he will not "chance it" with FP+ or ADR grace times. Once we were running late for our 7DMT FPs, and we got to the gate 9 minutes outside of our window due to monorail issues. He refused to go into the FP line to even try!! I had to go in by myself, and once he saw my mickey-head turn green, then he got in line. He was two people behind me by then, and he refused to walk past them to meet me. I had to let them cut in front of me so we could go on the ride together. He's a weird stickler for rules (gotta be that cop thing!).
  • NO PDA--he will hold hands every now and then, but he won't let me steal a kiss on a dark ride or during wishes unless I really catch him by surprise. Last year at (my one allowed) Wishes, he did put his hands at my waist, and I about passed out in shock. Guess he was really moved by the show!

All in all, trips with the DH are pretty good. I may not get to do EVERYTHING I want to do, but he's been pretty good about stretching what he's comfortable with to allow me to have a good time. I let go of some of my MUST-SEE-AND-DO-ALL-THE-THINGS attitude that I normally have on a vacation, and try to let things happen as they go, at a more relaxed pace. It's all about a little give and take, and understanding my hubby's quirks and being more accommodating.

I am totally with your husband on crowd situations, but for an entirely different reason! I used to be a box office manager - when I see disorganization of people waiting for something I want to start setting up lines and getting everything organized. I used to say I had to get 3000 people through 3 doors in 3 minutes, so it stresses me out when I see crowd/line 'mayhem'. The only time I feel like that at WDW is when we queue for attractions like the Muppets, It's Tough to Be a Bug, Laugh Floor and the like.

My husband does not feel or understand the Disney magic and I have accepted the fact that he never will. However, he does understand that Disney is my happy place and he will go with me to Disney but under his terms! His terms are as follows:

He will only stay in a deluxe resort with monorail service or within walking distance to a park. (He likes to have the option of making a quick exit!)

NO Value Resorts
NO Moderate Resorts
NO Disney bus transportation
NO Downtown Disney until Downtown Springs is 100% completed
NO character greets and meets
NO dining reservations
NO souvenir shopping
NO pin trading
NO Mickey gear (I cannot wear my Mickey Ears, Mickey t-shirts or lanyard)
NO pin trading

Do any of you have a spouse, partner, significant other with terms of their own???

I wish my husband had a no value/moderate resort rule. My husband is a we can go to Disney but only if you make it as cheap as possible. I tried to get him to agree to go moderate but the extra 300-400 for the week was not going to happen with him.

My husband also has a no shopping rule but that doesn't stop me from shopping. Plus it is easier to shop when he isn't with me.

When my husband and I first went to disney he was a no character meets but by the end of the week he was pointing out the character meets. My husband doesn't wear any Disney clothes (I do, though) but he finally bought one Mickey shirt.

My husband also tells me which ADRs I must get for our vacation.

Really the hardest part is the cost constraints he puts on me.

You know, I could deal with all of those rules except

1) No Fast Passes until in the park
2) No ADRs
3) No waiting in lines more than 30 minutes

Why wouldn't you want to plan Fast Passes in advance for your favorite attractions if it SAVES you waiting time? Especially since he is also opposed to waiting. I just love being at WDW, I have no problem waiting awhile for a ride just enjoying the atmosphere and the Florida sunshine. Especially if it's just me and DH and no impatient kids with us! And no dining reservations? Why not? Unless he prefers counter service? Who wants to stress about restaurants filled to capacity?

My DH is not a huge Disney fan, but we're going on our first trip without kids since the one we took years before we had kids in 1994. His big deal is that he is VEGAN (I am not) and he's worried about food choices. Since I want him to have a great time, I have pre-planned dining experiences I know he will love.

You know, I could deal with all of those rules except

1) No Fast Passes until in the park
2) No ADRs
3) No waiting in lines more than 30 minutes

Why wouldn't you want to plan Fast Passes in advance for your favorite attractions if it SAVES you waiting time? Especially since he is also opposed to waiting.

STAY TUNED! We recently received our Magic Bands and DH was excited to open the box! Last night I finally convinced him to schedule Fast Passes! Since I already went to WDW this past August and May (with DD and DS), I allowed DH to pick the rides for our upcoming trip.

My husband is a we can go to Disney but only if you make it as cheap as possible. I tried to get him to agree to go moderate but the extra 300-400 for the week was not going to happen with him.

My husband also has a no shopping rule but that doesn't stop me from shopping. Plus it is easier to shop when he isn't with me.

When my husband and I first went to disney he was a no character meets but by the end of the week he was pointing out the character meets. My husband doesn't wear any Disney clothes (I do, though) but he finally bought one Mickey shirt.

My husband also tells me which ADRs I must get for our vacation

Maybe the tone is just getting lost in some of these posts. Does he really TELL you these things, like it's an order?

We all have budgets, so I can understand why he would only be willing/able to spend "x" amount. But isn't that a discussion you have, rather than him TELLING you? And a no shopping RULE? Here are the ADRs you can and can not have? I'm really not trying to be disrespectful, but I just don't get it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter