Disney no longer coming up with original ideas for rides

The same logic applies to all ticket levels. AP's have gone up 85% during that same period of time. Inflation during this time period tallies up to roughly 25%.

Moral of the story, we've been paying huge, incremental premiums for a stagnant product offering that hasn't changed much at all.

Thank you...

Lets not act like multi day tickets/passes are cheap...

There prices are now hovering somewhere above your house...

The only tickets that have not had massive increase are Florida passes from what I can tell...

And if the business gets stronger...don't think those couldn't just "go away" from the board...

Sunday morning or Friday at 5 pm...

Here's pic from our first visit to EPCOT Nov. 11, 1982. You guys really think these were good character tie ins??? YIKES!

1f9c04403de8f3efbc124154.jpg

I'm reading the "Disney Promise to the Customer" contract that they issue to everyone when they buy a ticket as I type this...

I know there's a guaranteed character tie in for children in there somewhere...

I'll quote it as soon as I find it.

The only tickets that have not had massive increase are Florida passes from what I can tell...

And I think this is strategically done as a hedge against another economic downturn. If all else fails, at least they can cater to the locals. I think they're wise not to burn that bridge, although I don't disagree that the greedy suits could very easily bring the lighter fluid if/when things really start to boom...

And I think this is strategically done as a hedge against another economic downturn. If all else fails, at least they can cater to the locals. I think they're wise not to burn that bridge, although I don't disagree that the greedy suits could very easily bring the lighter fluid if/when things really start to boom...

That's exactly why...

I didnt want to go all "know it all"...

Gotta leave some mystery ;)

I dare say incorporating Jack Sparrow into POTC was more difficult for imagineers than building a brand new ride based on the franchise. If you put yourself in the position of building from scratch, I dare say there would be more presence of characters from the movie, and you'd have to wonder what things would never have been thought of or included in the attraction. This is the danger, the existing IP stifles creativity in the whole process, and the ride is limited to what it could potentially have been.

The kind of virtuosos respected in corporate HQs are not gifted artists or engineers who can envision something entirely new, original and crowd pleasing. The virtuosos they love are the MBA-wielding business dorks who offer them "synergy" by presenting a business case complete with tie-ins to DVD and souvenir sales and the possibility of a super-big series of sequels, spinoffs and greater and greater toy sales.

Think of how a ride designer feels when they're presented NOT with the goal of making a fun and innovative ride, but rather the goal of getting so many people through so many minutes of exposure to this many characters, at such-and-such cost, leading to a gift shop dump that is also shared by the exit queue from Princess Blart's meet and greet. It's bound to cause a certain amount of cynicism and apathy, not to mention shortcut-taking. Which may be one of the reasons why so many people are sitting in an inch of water when they visit the Pirates ride ...

I have to say, I know the imagineers can get it right, I personally think 7DMT is a really well done attraction.

Granted, it's short, but that is largely due to the limitations of the available space they had to work with.

I think the balance of light thrills and the dark ride portion of the attraction is perfect for the smaller children who are not yet up to riding BTM or Space. I like the music, I like the attention to detail, overall I think it's a success.

If we were getting a new attraction to a similar standard yearly, I would be really happy.

I realise the MM+ was a huge undertaking both financially and logistically, personally I think it's a smart way to go and will hopefully continue to be a success. Also the Disney Springs conversion is a massive project. Maybe now it is time to really concentrate on improving the parks.

I feel like Epcot and DHS could use the attention and by improving offerings there they can attempt to slow down crowd problems at MK, possibly pulling visitors in the directions of the other parks. I think Avatar could be really impressive if it's lead by the imagineers rather than the accountants. I hope they get the go ahead to make it as special as some of the existing favourites.

I have to say, I know the imagineers can get it right, I personally think 7DMT is a really well done attraction.

Granted, it's short, but that is largely due to the limitations of the available space they had to work with.

I think the balance of light thrills and the dark ride portion of the attraction is perfect for the smaller children who are not yet up to riding BTM or Space. I like the music, I like the attention to detail, overall I think it's a success.

If we were getting a new attraction to a similar standard yearly, I would be really happy.

I realise the MM+ was a huge undertaking both financially and logistically, personally I think it's a smart way to go and will hopefully continue to be a success. Also the Disney Springs conversion is a massive project. Maybe now it is time to really concentrate on improving the parks.

I feel like Epcot and DHS could use the attention and by improving offerings there they can attempt to slow down crowd problems at MK, possibly pulling visitors in the directions of the other parks. I think Avatar could be really impressive if it's lead by the imagineers rather than the accountants. I hope they get the go ahead to make it as special as some of the existing favourites.
While I agree that mine train is well done they actually shortened the planned ride twice before we got what we got.

Whether the ride were to last 90 seconds or four minutes, it accomplishes the same goal in management's eyes: It gets people into the park and acts as a "time suck" (1.5 hour stand-by waits). There is no incentive for TWDC to go the extra mile. This is a very typical, proven path that we have seen a number of times:

• Communicate "Big Expectations" early on
  • Drag out the timeline (i.e. milk the cow and generate interest)
  • Hack the budget 2, maybe 3 times along the way
  • Under deliver on original expectations
This works for a few years until the honeymoon phase wears off and this becomes "just another kiddie coaster". I'm not "Complaining Just to Complain". Rather, I'm illustrating that the "new path" isn't as good as the "old one". For those that think we're "complaining", ask yourself this question: When was the last time that your expectations were actually "blown away"? I don't see anyone coming to the defense of Potterland, as there is no need to. NFL, on the other hand, is a 50/50 proposition at best.

I think Avatar could be really impressive if it's lead by the imagineers rather than the accountants. I hope they get the go ahead to make it as special as some of the existing favourites.

This could be a slightly different story, as all indications point to Cameron having some skin in the game. If Avatarland were being done solely on Disney's budget, I would have to imagine that the Banshee ride would be an exact Soarin' clone (I wouldn't even be surprised if they even used the same soundtrack to save a few bucks). With Cameron financially invested, I'm hoping for something better than lukewarm.

Whether the ride were to last 90 seconds or four minutes, it accomplishes the same goal in management's eyes: It gets people into the park and acts as a "time suck" (1.5 hour stand-by waits). There is no incentive for TWDC to go the extra mile. This is a very typical, proven path that we have seen a number of times:

• Communicate "Big Expectations" early on
  • Drag out the timeline (i.e. milk the cow and generate interest)
  • Hack the budget 2, maybe 3 times along the way
  • Under deliver on original expectations
This works for a few years until the honeymoon phase wears off and this becomes "just another kiddie coaster". I'm not "Complaining Just to Complain". Rather, I'm illustrating that the "new path" isn't as good as the "old one". For those that think we're "complaining", ask yourself this question: When was the last time that your expectations were actually "blown away"? I don't see anyone coming to the defense of Potterland, as there is no need to. NFL, on the other hand, is a 50/50 proposition at best.

TWDC is a bit more than a kiddie coaster. I liked it, but wasn't totally wow'ed by it. I felt it was a bit short....kind of the same feeling of riding Snow White at DL. Wait, what just happened? Did they skip a crucial plot point?

I can't talk on Potterland. Never been there, and I've never read the books. As awesome as the theming looks, I'm totally uninterested in that part of the park, or the franchise. I know I'm not the only one in that boat. Same with Avatarland. I've never seen the movie, and not interested in it either. So Avatarland will likely not be a reason I go back to the parks. Now if it were the Wizarding World of the Star Wars universe....yowza!

I think NFL did it's job. It expanded a congestion point.....somewhat, added some nice C and D ticket rides, and finally tied in the Birthdayland waste of space into a larger area. My kids loved the whole NFL, Dumbo and Casey Jones water area. I think we spent 80% of our time in the park in those areas. So again, they're doing something right....for the demographic they're shooting for.

TWDC is a bit more than a kiddie coaster. I liked it, but wasn't totally wow'ed by it. I felt it was a bit short....kind of the same feeling of riding Snow White at DL. Wait, what just happened? Did they skip a crucial plot point?

To me, it's incredibly underwhelming. When one of the go-to defenses is how well-themed the wait queue is, you know there's just not much substance there. I felt the same exact way - "What just happened?... Is that it?"

I can't talk on Potterland. Never been there, and I've never read the books. As awesome as the theming looks, I'm totally uninterested in that part of the park, or the franchise. I know I'm not the only one in that boat. Same with Avatarland. I've never seen the movie, and not interested in it either. So Avatarland will likely not be a reason I go back to the parks. Now if it were the Wizarding World of the Star Wars universe....yowza!

I actually fall into the same category, but the 15% uptick in attendance as a result and all of the rave-reviews tells the story: Potterworld is a huge success. I truly believe that you only get out what you put into it, and I think that when all of the pixie dust settles, the short-sighted additions such as NFL, Frozen, etc. will not stand the test of time.

I think NFL did it's job. It expanded a congestion point.....somewhat, added some nice C and D ticket rides, and finally tied in the Birthdayland waste of space into a larger area. My kids loved the whole NFL, Dumbo and Casey Jones water area. I think we spent 80% of our time in the park in those areas. So again, they're doing something right....for the demographic they're shooting for.

See - This furthers my point. I feel like I just won a consolation prize. A half billion dollars later, and we're talking about the joys of eliminating a congestion point, adding a handful of walk-on, C-ticket rides and making a "bad space" slightly better. Wouldn't this story be better if it read, "$800 million later, we received 2 E-ticket rides and created the best land in the park by a mile... a place I can't wait to come back to!"? While a jelly-of-the-month club is better than getting nothing at all, I'd rather have the in-ground swimming pool myself...

My daughter is six, and she loved Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Spaceship Earth. She also had fun on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Soarin', and Test Track. What bridges all of them is that they're quality attractions. Some have IP, others don't. She wasn't that keen on the Seas with Nemo and Friends and The Little Mermaid. They were fine, but she didn't ask to go on them again.

Those attractions weren't less successful with her because they had IP. They didn't work as well because they aren't as effective. I know that every kid is different, but there's still something to be said for creating something original. IP makes it easier to create something less innovative. That doesn't mean that the new Avatar or Frozen rides won't be amazing. I really hope they are. I just wish there was less by-the-numbers thinking with some of the newer attractions and overlays.

I'm sure Disney himself said that he didn't believe in sequels because they didn't allow new ventures and new ideas.

When the three little pigs was a massive success people cried out for more, Walt's response "you can't top pigs with pigs"

The founder of this amazing company recognised early on that stagnation had to be challenged with new ideas, techniques and ways of wowing the public.

When you consider the huge achievement made from Steamboat Willie through to Snow White it is astounding what was accomplished in less than ten years, in terms of progression in production techniques.

If the company could renew that relentless determination to plus every attraction in the way Walt demanded in the early days of Disneyland I'm sure the public would recognise and reward that effort.

There have been massive accomplishments, talking Mickey is a fantastic example of this where an experience has incorporated new technologies into a seamless magical attraction.

Disney can do it, better than any of the competition, sadly it is only demonstrated when they really want to. I like IP rides, but I much prefer a new idea, concept or experience that has been dreamt up from a "do you know what would be really cool?" Conversation starting point.

Cutting edge attractions require more investment, not just in design and development, but also in parts and upkeep for years after. That's what Disney doesn't want to do here, or else we'd have attractions on par with Pooh's Hunny Hunt or Mystic Manor overseas....oh, and Mystic Manor isn't based on any IP.

Disney runs its parks like publicly traded companies run their businesses these days...safe bets based on well known property, so as not to scare shareholders or something. Look at the movie industry, almost nothing but remakes and sequels.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-...ed-attractions-a-plea-to-disney-imagineering/

I actually wrote an article about this topic in December if anyone is interested. It is basically my plea to Imagineering to have a little of both original concept rides and rides based off the movies.
Well it's really not imagineering it's what ever the execs want and what the board wants to fund. OLC puts down the money and TDL gets big things. HKDL got mystic manor, DCA carsland. It has to do a lot with money and what the execs feel they need.

Well it's really not imagineering it's what ever the execs want and what the board wants to fund. OLC puts down the money and TDL gets big things. HKDL got mystic manor, DCA carsland. It has to do a lot with money and what the execs feel they need.

Thanks for reading! Near the end of the article I do quickly addresses that this isn't an attack on the imagineers because I understand they don't have complete control.

Cutting edge attractions require more investment, not just in design and development, but also in parts and upkeep for years after. That's what Disney doesn't want to do here, or else we'd have attractions on par with Pooh's Hunny Hunt or Mystic Manor overseas....oh, and Mystic Manor isn't based on any IP.

Disney runs its parks like publicly traded companies run their businesses these days...safe bets based on well known property, so as not to scare shareholders or something. Look at the movie industry, almost nothing but remakes and sequels.

Yeah...they really need to do something bold...

Like a live action beauty and the beast...
Or a live action tinker bell...

To really get the creative juices flowing ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter