Disney needs to visit the budget board!

dhardawa

DIS Veteran
We leave on our trip in about 2 1/2 weeks. A week ago, I got the email to go setup Magic Bands. I did it and Tuesday had a box on my porch. It was shipped UPS Next Day Air. I couldn't imagine what was in it. Turns out it was the Magic Bands. Why Next Day Air??? I still had three weeks before I left, but whatever. Then, yesterday, (Thursday), I get a UPS Express "Extremely Urgent" letter from them. I open it thinking it must be something really important. Um... It's a one page ad exactly like the email to setup the Magic Bands that I already setup and received two days earlier.

Maybe they could stop raising the prices if they'd stop sending everything UPS Next Day Air and Express! Haha!

We leave on our trip in about 2 1/2 weeks. A week ago, I got the email to go setup Magic Bands. I did it and Tuesday had a box on my porch. It was shipped UPS Next Day Air. I couldn't imagine what was in it. Turns out it was the Magic Bands. Why Next Day Air??? I still had three weeks before I left, but whatever. Then, yesterday, (Thursday), I get a UPS Express "Extremely Urgent" letter from them. I open it thinking it must be something really important. Um... It's a one page ad exactly like the email to setup the Magic Bands that I already setup and received two days earlier.

Maybe they could stop raising the prices if they'd stop sending everything UPS Next Day Air and Express! Haha!

:thumbsup2

LOL!! I thought something very similar when I read they are sending them "next day air":eek:.
How about you send them ground shipping and take that extra money and sink it into your clearly struggling IT department Disney? ;)

LOL!! I thought something very similar when I read they are sending them "next day air":eek:.
How about you send them ground shipping and take that extra money and sink it into your clearly struggling IT department Disney? ;)

Not to mention the very sturdy and nice Incredible's box the magic bands are in. I am sure that wasn't cheap either. I can't imagine a year from now they still sending stuff next day and in nice boxes.

The price large companies pay for USPS next day air is a fraction of what we pay. Why do you think Amazon is able to upgrade shipping for a nominal annual cost, to Prime members?

Disney charges $$$ for everything. Spending a nominal amount of extra money for shipping might help guests think they're getting a "premium" experience.

The price large companies pay for USPS next day air is a fraction of what we pay. Why do you think Amazon is able to upgrade shipping for a nominal annual cost, to Prime members?

Disney charges $$$ for everything. Spending a nominal amount of extra money for shipping might help guests think they're getting a "premium" experience.

While that is definitely true, there is still a cost savings if Disney shipped something 3day ground instead of next day air. Even if it is just $1 difference that savings ads up if you ship a few hundred thousand.

I am still not sure why they even ship them. Why not just have them ready at the resort when you arrive. It was neat to get them in the mail, but they just sat there until we went to Disney plus I had to keep up with them. I also ditched the box because it took up too much room while packing.

That nominal shipping cost to Disney is not going to make the cost of your tickets or room go down. OTOH, people choose to vacation at Disney because of the way they make guests feel special. When you pay a high price for your vacation, you have certain expectations. If Disney goes "cheap", they no longer separate themselves from any other theme park and people won't want to pay their premium prices for an "average" experience.

While that is definitely true, there is still a cost savings if Disney shipped something 3day ground instead of next day air. Even if it is just $1 difference that savings ads up if you ship a few hundred thousand.

I am still not sure why they even ship them. Why not just have them ready at the resort when you arrive. It was neat to get them in the mail, but they just sat there until we went to Disney plus I had to keep up with them. I also ditched the box because it took up too much room while packing.
Magic Bands work in the airport for Magic Express.

Why even send them to our homes? Have the packages sent to the resort to distribute there. After all, only people staying in that resort get them. They could combine indivdual boxes into larger boxes to save even further.

What can I use the magic bands for as far as Magic Express goes? I'm just starting to figure out this whole Magic Band business.

Thanks!
You "tap" the RFID Mickey sensor (just like you would for park entry) and your DME information is read from your band. No need to carry your DME vouchers with you or fumble in your bag for the booklet.

Why even send them to our homes? Have the packages sent to the resort to distribute there. After all, only people staying in that resort get them. They could combine indivdual boxes into larger boxes to save even further.
See above. They begin working in the airport for DME.

One of the computer vendors, in the fine print, saying paying for next day air meant you'd get the item the next day. The item wouldn't necessarily be shipped via air. If possible the company would ship via distributor close enough to ensure next day delivery via ground.

My guess is the items are shipped from the airport hub used by the shipping company. At one time I had access to corporate rates. Next day air was cheaper then 3 day. I doubt the difference is even $1.

I had contacted LEGOLAND because we are surprising our son with tix for his birthday. He has special needs, so I asked what kind of accommodations they will have for him. We chatted back and forth, and I asked the girl for a brochure to be mailed so I could wrap it up. I got a package 12 hours later, next day air. I thought MAYBE she had sent some kind of pixie dust, because why would they send a BROCHURE express? Nope. They did.

A friend of mine is at Disney this week. She has 8 people in her party. The website was slow she hit the buttons a couple times. She ended up getting Mickey Bands every day for a week. They sent her 40 of them! She said three of the sets had the names on them, the others were blank or wrong colors. They might need to fix that bug. :rolleyes2

I imagine that they have heavily discount rates. At work, we pay 75% off the rack rate for next day. I can send a small package, from PA to CA, overnight....for $5.50!!

I am still not sure why they even ship them. Why not just have them ready at the resort when you arrive. It was neat to get them in the mail, but they just sat there until we went to Disney plus I had to keep up with them.

I thought I had read here on the Disboard a rumor that some time in the future, you may be able to avoid check-in all together. With your magic bands already in hand, they could text message you're room assignment, or have them give it to you at the DME desk. So, when you arrive at WDW you can go straight to the fun without waiting in line for check-in. In addition, they could save money by having fewer CM working at the front desk.

johde said:
I thought I had read here on the Disboard a rumor that some time in the future, you may be able to avoid check-in all together. With your magic bands already in hand, they could text message you're room assignment, or have them give it to you at the DME desk. So, when you arrive at WDW you can go straight to the fun without waiting in line for check-in. In addition, they could save money by having fewer CM working at the front desk.

That's what mine says. Tues i will get a text letting me know when room is ready and ill get in. Today Lilo , what they r calling the MB computer system decided to play w/ my account. She shut off charging privelages while at Epcot. Didn't bring any other cards :( Guest relations said lilo took over and turned magic band on to my Ak reservation early which shut off my other hotel account. They were cool about it and gave mr a $30 gift card for food for the rest of the night. They said lilo has been doing that lately. Now my Magic Band opens my room for a hotel not even testing.

LMN said:
What can I use the magic bands for as far as Magic Express goes? I'm just starting to figure out this whole Magic Band business.

Thanks!

Its your room key, park tickets, charging priveleges, disney dining card and I saw people using them on test track instead of using the plastic card for car designs. It pretty much does what a card on a cruise ship does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter