Disney names new Parks And Resorts Chairman

One funny thought since this is pretty much like Pressler. They gave Pressler some experience running Disneyland before he ended up running the whole thing. Also the top execs were all around for the Pressler days so they know how it was and where he came from yet they still go ahead and give a no name no experience guy the position.

That position technically isn't open at this time. Rasulo is still there working without a contract so he could leave at any time if he wants.
Not yet, that's true. If Rasulo has any pride he should be walking any day now.

At the most senior levels, positions like this are more about managing people, giving them the appropriate tools and resources to do their jobs and building a roadmap to meet business objectives and less about knowing the nitty gritty details of operations.

As another poster said, the next few years of development are so far along that it likely won't be a while until we see things that are a direct result of his tenure. Until then, I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt until he gives me reason not to.

You just need to think corporately. It may very well be that he is the only one that was willing to take on the role. People aren't always promoted because they are the best for the role. Sometimes they can be set up for intentional disaster. Politics can cause all kinds of head scratchers.

I agree.

Why does this Exec Team (and BoD) just think any Exec at Disney can do any job, anywhere, at any time...? Do you pick the Head of Catering to direct the next movie? The Marketing Director to be CTO....? I guess they feel anyone can run P&R as long as they've run something and they're a good lunch partner...

So much for experience....

This is starting to become more and more common in Corporate America. Gone are the days of finding someone incredibly well qualified for the position. Rather, the most important qualification one could possibly have is having the ability to understand and tote the company line. I truly believe that any of the EVP positions at Disney are 100% inter-changeable, as these are the people in "the club". To get into the club, you must be able to say 1.) Yes Bob 2.) More Bipitdy Bopity Botiques and character M&G's, please and 3.) I loveeeeeeeeeeee me some gift shops. If you could develop/implement a successful strategy for "pay as you go condiments" in the Quick Service locations, you would automatically be placed on the "fast track" to succeed Uncle Bob.

Don't be fooled into thinking that they were actually searching for someone with a resume chalked full of operations experience to help take Parks & Resorts to the "next level". They were simply looking for the next Manchurian Candidate to continue marching down the path of greater returns with less capital stretched over as close to a decade as possible.

Last edited:

This is starting to become more and more common in Corporate America. Gone are the days of finding someone incredibly well qualified for the position. Rather, the most important qualification one could possibly have is having the ability to understand and tote the company line. I truly believe that any of the EVP positions at Disney are 100% inter-changeable, as these are the people in "the club". To get into the club, you must be able to say 1.) Yes Bob 2.) More Bipitdy Bopity Botiques and character M&G's, please and 3.) I loveeeeeeeeeeee me some gift shops. If you could develop/implement a successful strategy for "pay as you go condiments" in the Quick Service locations, you would automatically be placed on the "fast track" to succeed Uncle Bob.

Don't be fooled into thinking that they were actually searching for someone with a resume chalked full of operations experience to help take Parks & Resorts to the "next level". They were simply looking for the next Manchurian Candidate to continue marching down the path of greater returns with less capital stretched over as close to a decade as possible.
Hard to sum it up better than you just did.

I guess we can now look forward to more gift shops in the SW plans and I expect the floating mountains in AvatarLand will now spew 10% off Pandora Charms Coupons into the air on the hour and half hour....

I expect the floating mountains in AvatarLand will now spew 10% off Pandora Charms Coupons into the air on the hour and half hour....

I'm sure it's 100% coincidence that Disney's new "charm bracelet" corporate sponsor shares the same name as their fancy, new fictional land......

And you can bet the farm that they will beat that horse to death....

On a positive note, he has a degree in microbiology. Perhaps there will be a major refurbishment of the Wonder of Life pavilion!

On a positive note, he has a degree in microbiology. Perhaps there will be a major refurbishment of the Wonder of Life pavilion!
I applaud your look on the bright side. But first, someone will need to show him where that Pavilion is located.....

All joking aside, what does it take for some new blood in the mix? If the internal gene pool is stagnated, spend some real money and steal the next hotshot in Parks from NBC/Universal, or JW Marriott, or Landry's, or Caesars Entertainment . Can't shake the same tree and expect good fruit all the time.....

I applaud your look on the bright side. But first, someone will need to show him where that Pavilion is located.....

All joking aside, what does it take for some new blood in the mix? If the internal gene pool is stagnated, spend some real money and steal the next hotshot in Parks from NBC/Universal, or JW Marriott, or Landry's, or Caesars Entertainment . Can't shake the same tree and expect good fruit all the time.....
And surprisingly spirit thinks they board may look else where when Iger retires and not look to Staggs. That could be true if the next few years aren't as great as they expect, especially if we end up having Pressler 2.0.

The vault was a great marketing idea at the time. Today, not so much. It doesn't create the same urgency it used to.

The vault was created for VHS and limited broadcast run movie titles...

In a primitive time technology wise...

It is obselete and is completely at odds with how content will be consumed going forward.

If I want the 3 caballeros...or Bambi...why the heck to I have to wait 6 years of buy it subtitled from Israel to see it?

Lets face it... The guy is an absolute stiff...and in the job that requires the most imagination and taking some chances on new things... And spending to get them.

What a disaster... Is the gap looking for a new person? How about pep boys? Anybody?

Last edited:
Record pay for the bigs, dividends, and roaring stock price...

That's the three stooges of stagnation at this point.
If it continues - the gene pool will be producing tad poles with 13 toes and two noses before anybody gets wise to the problem

And surprisingly spirit thinks they board may look else where when Iger retires and not look to Staggs. That could be true if the next few years aren't as great as they expect, especially if we end up having Pressler 2.0.

Iger was a stretch...

Tom Staggs, chairman and CEO, the Walt Disney company?

No...I'm sorry but I'm not buying that...there will be a push for a more dynamic leader even by that puppet board...

That's not much different than putting al Weiss or lee cockerell in charge...stale bread.

I'm not buying that one.

Of course...if you have a stiff in a suit as the "heir"... Then who gets begged to stay longer as savior and wearer of the golden chute?

Iger was a stretch...

No...I'm sorry but I'm not buying that...there will be a push for a more dynamic leader even by that puppet board...

That's not much different than putting al Weiss or lee cockerell in charge...stale bread.

I'm not buying that one.

Of course...if you have a stiff in a suit as the "heir"... Then who gets begged to stay longer as savior and wearer of the golden chute?
Of course this was the same board that has begged Iger to stay on multiple times. I wouldn't get my hopes up...

Of course this was the same board that has begged Iger to stay on multiple times. I wouldn't get my hopes up...
I think I covered that...
They will again...

The street hated longterm "stagnation"... So you rig it so that the hero keeps the saddle to the White horse

Iger was a stretch...

I'm not buying that one.

You know, the more you think about it, Mr. C is the luckiest man in the world - he just hit "easy street"!

Rteetz nailed it, earlier. Every major Parks initiative has broken ground or has past all approvals and the planning stages. There's nothing major happening on his turf that's all Mr. C's.... so he's "clean". Better yet, Iger is on the 3 year, Swan Song watch.

If they do bring in someone from the outside, they'll want their own "Posse". So, 3 years of coasting followed by a nice slow glide below that golden chute.

Not bad at all......

You know, the more you think about it, Mr. C is the luckiest man in the world - he just hit "easy street"!

Rteetz nailed it, earlier. Every major Parks initiative has broken ground or has past all approvals and the planning stages. There's nothing major happening on his turf that's all Mr. C's.... so he's "clean". Better yet, Iger is on the 3 year, Swan Song watch.

If they do bring in someone from the outside, they'll want their own "Posse". So, 3 years of coasting followed by a nice slow glide below that golden chute.

Not bad at all......
Of course you could make the same case for Staggs. He's done basically nothing during his tenure.
Euro Disney two bailouts
Marvel Expansion at HKD

Yeah, he's the definition of riding the wave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter