Disney names new Parks And Resorts Chairman

If you don't watch the Disunplugged podcast first I would highly recommend you because I think it's one of the best there is. Also they are the owners and moderators and people who run the DIS. Pete the owner of the DIS and the host of the show had a good rant on this very topic. He hates this move he says what many have been saying the execs only care about the brand they don't care about the legacy and how they built this brand. He mentions just walking in the park and seeing how the quality of things has declined like the cleanliness of the bathrooms or other public areas. I recommend a listen.

http://www.disunplugged.com

We do know Star Wars is in the works at both coasts.

It's becoming disturbing how often this is popping up...

I see nothing to indicate at this time to indicate that whatever "in the works" is what the people, the parks, or that property deserves.

Hold the line and don't give praise now.

Grumble a little...ask for more...bombard the surveys with "it better not be a cheap cop out and a meet and greet" lines.

Trust the shovels.

It's becoming disturbing how often this is popping up...

I see nothing to indicate at this time to indicate that whatever "in the works" is what the people, the parks, or that property deserves.

Hold the line and don't give praise now.

Grumble a little...ask for more...bombard the surveys with "it better not be a cheap cop out and a meet and greet" lines.

Trust the shovels.
I see where you're coming from. There is something in the works at this point though. No doubt about that. As I said, it could get cancelled at anytime.

It's a shame that my nearly 40 years of visiting Disney parks doesn't make me eligible (or many of you). Get someone that isn't just interested in the "business-side" but understands how to blend this with building the brand and encouraging repeat visitors beyond the core customer base. There's a chunk that will go back no matter what, but there is now also a core group that will NEVER go back to WDW. Disney needs to work at bringing them back into the fold while also building the international brand.

It doesn't bother me that he has no park operations experience, as I do think that isn't mandatory to be successful, but I am concerned that his experience is almost exclusively in merchandising. I would be curious if he has spent any significant time in the parks to understand how much they have fallen off from what they used to be (and could be again).

If you don't watch the Disunplugged podcast first I would highly recommend you because I think it's one of the best there is. Also they are the owners and moderators and people who run the DIS. Pete the owner of the DIS and the host of the show had a good rant on this very topic. He hates this move he says what many have been saying the execs only care about the brand they don't care about the legacy and how they built this brand. He mentions just walking in the park and seeing how the quality of things has declined like the cleanliness of the bathrooms or other public areas. I recommend a listen.

http://www.disunplugged.com

What episode are you referring to in particular

I'm saddened that we all seem to be pre-judging this guy. Let see what his ideas are and then vilify him once he actually does something. pirate:

I'm saddened that we all seem to be pre-judging this guy. Let see what his ideas are and then vilify him once he actually does something. pirate:

On one hand (or shoulder...) I completely agree...

But on the other...boy...there is such a glaring precedent/cause for concern that's evolving...is there not?

Giving someone who has ZERO experience stewardship of an amazingly complex/important division - built with brick and mortars, human organic matter, and most importantly perception...seems like such a risky move.

If this was 1994 and they were on top of the world...I think it would be worrisome/head scratching...

No?

Decades ago, when I was in the Air Force, they had something called Cross Utilization Training (CUT). The theory being, that a supervisor/manager didn't have to know anything about a shop as long as he/she knew how to manage people. If a manager was needed for a shop and none was available in that specialty, they would move someone from another area into it. For example, my forte was explosives and I knew diddly squat about corrosion control of airplanes. Guess who got moved. As long as a person knows the basics of how a system works, that is supplies, directives, AND has people skills, it's not that difficult of a change. It also has the benefit of bringing a qualified individual in that has an entirely different perspective that may possibly see things wrong or that can be managed better. Sometimes, an outsider can see the forest, despite the trees.

a supervisor/manager didn't have to know anything about a shop as long as he/she knew how to manage people.
There is something to this. When I meet with my newer managers, we talk about what it takes to be a good manager. I tell them it's actually easy. They only have to do 3 things really well. Make sure their staff know what is expected. Make sure their staff have the resources to do the job. And make sure the staff have the time and autonomy to do it (and leave them alone to get it done). If they are confident they have all 3 of those covered well, then the problem is with the employee. Sometimes it takes a working knowledge of what the department does to accomplish those 3 things, sometimes not.

As VP of P&R, you mostly are managing upper management. Directors and maybe middle level managers. That may not take any actual background to be successful. Interest, energy and ability to create a realistic vision can go a long way.

The biggest problem I have putting a manager in a position with limited background is building credibility with the staff they are managing. There are ways to manage that. Some on the manager side, others with the staff.

j

There is something to this. When I meet with my newer managers, we talk about what it takes to be a good manager. I tell them it's actually easy. They only have to do 3 things really well. Make sure their staff know what is expected. Make sure their staff have the resources to do the job. And make sure the staff have the time and autonomy to do it (and leave them alone to get it done). If they are confident they have all 3 of those covered well, then the problem is with the employee. Sometimes it takes a working knowledge of what the department does to accomplish those 3 things, sometimes not.

As VP of P&R, you mostly are managing upper management. Directors and maybe middle level managers. That may not take any actual background to be successful. Interest, energy and ability to create a realistic vision can go a long way.

The biggest problem I have putting a manager in a position with limited background is building credibility with the staff they are managing. There are ways to manage that. Some on the manager side, others with the staff.

j
If I had to pick one primary attribute of a good manager, I would say that person must be a good "listener." Even if there is no real problem, if people believe there is one, then you do have a problem.

One way to help with "limited background building credibility," as well as other problems, is to find out who is the "straw boss" and get them on your side. There is always a straw boss and that person probably has more influence than the designated supervisor/manager.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter