Disney Magic--Not very magical....

Just wanted to apologize if I came off snippy....

I just wanted to let other people who are considering the eastern, that the seas are no rougher than normal....and that normal for some may not be ok for others...ie the comment on cruising....

I personally worried about cruising due to my husb/son's motion sickness issues, and was happy they were fine...

I just wanted it known that the seas were actually calm, by the ship's bridge standards, for MOST of the trip.

Sandi

cruisingsoon said:
I am glad your DD is a typical 16 month old now. So sorry to hear she was in the NICU. Hopefully she did not have all the experiences of my DS. I would think not since she is now "like every other 16 mos old". That may never be possible for my DS. In your situation it does sound like your in-law's are too careful, that would "pain" me too. However, please don't think that you understand where everyone else has come from and what challenges they may still face.

Easy, now, that last sentence came across pretty harsh. Tarabra was being sympathetic and didn't need a slap in the face. :guilty: That's just a calm statement, not a screaming rant. While we may not understand every circumstance you have been through and continue to face, people can still empathize and sympathize. My eldest child was stillborn from a fatal birth defect, but there were many people who have never even thought about losing their child who still were gentle and understanding when it came to me be VERY protective of my second. I'm still protective of her, because of her personality. My third is a tough little cookie. I don't think Tarabra was trying to say "toughen up, you'll get over it." She seems to be a kind person from some of her other posts I've read.

All of this does relate to experiences in a child care setting such as that on the cruise ship. If our children have special needs, we will be more watchful and have different levels of tolerance when it comes to kids being with other kids in this kind of setting, and I can't remember if they claim to be. Anyone know what their onboard policy for this type of situation is?

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your cruise. My kids and I have taken 6 previous DCL cruises and have booked for our 7th in Dec. 2006. We have always had a great time. My kids adore the Kids Club and I have always felt safe with them on the ship. We've always found something we liked at dinner and have found the cruise staff to be incredibly helpful. My friends traveled with us last time and they found DCL to be just as nice, and better in some ways, to RCCL and NCL. Hope others aren't discouraged by your experience. I think yours is the exception rather than the rule.

The DCL website says that the counselor to child ratio for the 3-4 year old group is 1:15. I do think that ratio seems out of whack. That means you could have 30 little tykes with only 2 counselors. I think for most 3-year-olds and some 4-year-olds that's a bit much for them to handle. I think the CMs are great, but DCL is asking them to do too much. I hope that they rethink the ratios for this age group, especially with the amount of $$ the guests are paying and the way DCL hypes its children's programming in its marketing. My DSs preschool has 2 teachers (and parent volunteers) for a class of 18 children. It's amazing what a difference having a ratio of 10:1 rather than 15:1 can do for keeping the chaos under control.

The ratios for the older groups are 25 children for every counselor. Also sounds high, but then these are school age children who are used to being in classrooms of 20+.

O.k. I'm over it! When I read OP's first couple of posts, and posted mine, I was in quite a surly mood. I've been trying to plan a cruise for Apr. '06, and due to having a very slow real estate season in chilly Ohio, it doesn't look like it's going to happen. I was having one of those days, when the clients were being extra particular about accepting an offer, etc. and I guess it was just really bothering me, that I'm trying desperately to get my daughter on her first cruise, and here was someone that got to go on one, just going on and on about how bad it was. I even feel guilty about wanting to go on number 6 so bad when there are people out there who have never been on 1 cruise and probably never will. So, I'm done. Sorry, you had a bad experience. Hope the next one is better.

Hi there I just wanted to butt in one more time and ask the OP if she ever talked to the CM's. I believe they ask you when you check in if your child has any special needs. Granted, my child wasn't potty trained so it didn't really matter for me, I have heard on other threads that Disney is very good at accomidating your childs needs. Especially, if there are any health issues or anything wrong that could put him at a higher risk for injuries.
I do agree that they definately need to add more CM's to this age group. It was too much for them to handle. We were there for the busy activities though.

This has been a real walk down memory lane LOL!!! I guess the OP didn't know rule #1 of the board ... if your Disney Cruise deserved criticism, you are wrong. If you are right, refer to rule #1. And if you have the audicity to frighten some of these insecure regulars on this board by explaining your position, the gloves will come off.

After taking half a dozen Disney Cruises and enjoying them, I reported how my last one was not good. Evidently, my character, personality, view of the world and humanity had changed dramatically and I had become a bad person since my better cruises with Disney. I hadn't realized it until I reported that this time the food was lacking, staff was shorthanded, missed port days were not handled well, etc. and the personal assaults and accusations came flying.

The only thing that has changed with some of you on these boards is that you forgot to tell the OP that she should be ashamed of herself since so many people were killed or left homeless from the tsunami tragedy.

Hopefully the OP has not been deluged with PM's like I was when I was in her shoes. To this day, I'm not sure which PM's were worse: the ones from people who agreed with me and wanted to make me "feel better" but literally stated they were afraid to post their opinion on this board .... or .... the ones that were so vicious that they couldn't be posted (these, of course, were from the positive, look on the bright side people that love everything so much).

cruisingsoon said:
Had to chime in 1 more time here. Maybe you do not know enough to comment about this type of issue. Not totally your fault I guess, because I did not offer any info in my post. My son has had significant health issues. He had a very tough beginning and was in the NICU for over 3 months, we almost lost him many times. We still have many more worries then most other parents. Am I over protective, heck yeah, can't help it. I promise you this is the reason my son is at last thriving today. It is difficult to judge anyone unless you have walked in their shoes.
God bless you. I have a NICU baby. I can't help being overprotective either, so I can certainly sympathize with you. Most don't understand why we're so so-called 'overprotective.' To them I always say, "If you had to leave your precious baby at a hospital night after night after night and go home without a baby in your arms, only to worry all night about him/her, then perhaps you'd understand."

I wish people would stop being so judgemental on this thread and on the boards. And God forbid anyone say anything bad about Disney or comment on their bad experiences! Geesh! :rolleyes:

Thank you for your trip report. We have been on one DCL cruise and have another one booked for 2007. I appreciate all trip reports, good and bad. I am sorry you had a bad time, I hope your next vacation is great!

Jen

I think unfortunately you won't hear the good and the bad. It seems if someone posts anything bad they get flamed and someone on the same cruise will come along and say that their opinions are completely wrong.

I've been on 4 DCL cruises. Our last one in Nov was very special but the food was terrible and always cold. The CM's, while still very good, seemed short staffed and all new and not nearly the same as our last 3 cruises. I reported on the great parts and the not so great parts and recieved nasty replies and PM's.

I love reading trip reports, both the good and the bad. I thought it only fair that I write one for others to read and I was honest. I had 3 prior cruises to compare to and this one was different. I wish it wasn't different but it was. Unless someone sits at your table, eats off your plate, sleeps in your cabin, has the same tolerance for sea sickness and follows you every minute of your cruise they have no right to tell you that what you experienced was wrong.

Thank you to the OP for sharing your experience. You don't need to defend yourself people need to start thinking before they hit reply.

I also appreciate hearing complete reports. No trip can be perfect, and I can plan better when I know what to expect. So give me the honest good and bad.

We just got back from a Magical Western cruise. We had a phenomenal time, but was everything perfect? Absolutely not. Sometimes I feel for the CMs and all the super high expectations of us Disney fanatics (including me). How can they ever measure up? But they certainly give it a good try. :thumbsup2

CRSNDSNY said:
God bless you. I have a NICU baby. I can't help being overprotective either, so I can certainly sympathize with you. Most don't understand why we're so so-called 'overprotective.'

I don't think "overprotective" is probably the right term to use here -- adequately protective is probably more accurate. Both of you sound like there are ongoing health concerns for your kids that are very different from the vast majority, and in my humble opinon, I don't think there is an OVERprotective thing going on. It's not like you kept your son out of the club completely because someone might hurt his feelings in some minute way. You took the chance to let your son experience something new, but you were there and you were watchful and careful. Sounds like something you do on a regular basis, and I am so glad you do.

While I don't think, from reading your original or subsequent posts, that you felt there was intentional harm being directed specifically at him, kids that age are very rough by nature and not inclined to look out for the well-being of others on their own. I think you made a good original point that, while it won't keep me from putting my completely healthy child in the club, I will keep my eyes open and check in on her perhaps a little more than I might have otherwise. And I'll hope they are adequately staffed for those two weeks!

I'm just glad I'm not one of the cast members who has to do that job 7 days a week for months at a time!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Shannon1984 said:
Hi there I just wanted to butt in one more time and ask the OP if she ever talked to the CM's. I believe they ask you when you check in if your child has any special needs. Granted, my child wasn't potty trained so it didn't really matter for me, I have heard on other threads that Disney is very good at accomidating your childs needs. Especially, if there are any health issues or anything wrong that could put him at a higher risk for injuries.
I do agree that they definately need to add more CM's to this age group. It was too much for them to handle. We were there for the busy activities though.

No, I didn't speak to the CM's about my son, I didn't feel there was anything that would have made a difference. Health wise he is stronger then he ever was, although we do steer clear when there is anyone who is obviously sick. I loved that the kids all had to wash up upon entering the club, it really does make a difference especially to kids who have medical concerns.

As for special needs, other then speech/small physical issues, the only thing that makes a difference is keeping an eye on him. He continues to have poor judgement in what is safe, etc. In the chaotic environment in the club, a child really needs to be self reliable to some extent. I knew that with the volume of kids vs the CMs, there was no way I could leave him alone. It just wasn't set up the way I would expect for my 3 year old, and perhaps many other younger 3 year olds.

CRSNDSNY said:
God bless you. I have a NICU baby. I can't help being overprotective either, so I can certainly sympathize with you. Most don't understand why we're so so-called 'overprotective.' To them I always say, "If you had to leave your precious baby at a hospital night after night after night and go home without a baby in your arms, only to worry all night about him/her, then perhaps you'd understand."

I wish people would stop being so judgemental on this thread and on the boards. And God forbid anyone say anything bad about Disney or comment on their bad experiences! Geesh! :rolleyes:
well said Mel! well said!:thumbsup2

Thank you, for replying. I know after seeing how understaffed they were I would have been worried too. Although, I think if I didn't have to stay with her I probabaly never would have. I hope by next time we go they will have more CM's. Thanks for your post cruisingsoon! :thumbsup2

Well I am too sorry that you had such a unmagical trip. I have a special needs 5 year old (she was 4 on the cruise) daughter with CP who is extreamly emotional and begins tor cry even when you are a LITTLE stern with her, and she had a blast on our 10-30-2005 cruise. We are going again in Nov. of this year and she doesn't want to go ashore she want to star in her club. SHe is extreamy pasive child and had nothing bad to say about he CS or the other kids in her club. My wife is a early childhood teacher,and she had no complaints about it. We looked in to several other cruise lines and they group the kids together in much larger goups. (why we cruise DCL)

In 04 we stayed at Disney World we bought the Gold Plan (now the premuim Dinning) and we ate at almost all of the best restruants and on Disny World that is saying something. And the food was as good as that trip.

THe First night we had 18 to 24 foot swells it was like the Pirates of the Carabian our deink were sliding around the table. I was so sick I took anything I could. IT didn't help. Both my kids were sick but the next day they were fine. I was still sick. But I got up and we walked around and I felt better.

And our room two days in to the cruise the the ac or heat or fan some blew up and started clunking. I calld GS they sent someone as soon as I hung up the phone. We went back tho the room three hours later to change for lunch and not 30 seconds after we got in the room it begain banging all over again. With another call to GS we were moved they came and helped us pack and moved all of our stuff and we got an upgrade.

After we got back we found out that two people that we know were also on the same cruise. Our kids told us they saw the other family on the cruise we never saw them. And thay had a trip like yours when we explained what happened to us and what a good time we had the figured they would try it again (a three day one this time) My point is every body has a differant out look and try and be positive. One bad experance (or seven all in a row) dosen't mean that the cruise line and every trip will turn out the same. It sounds to me as you had a bad start. and you never let it get any better. As I told my friends try a three day they are pretty cheap and you end it or begin it with a trip to the parks and the new roller coaster. It is just a sugestion. Hope you future trips are better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter