Disney Magic--Not very magical....

I have read this thread w/ much interest as I finally convinced my DH to go on his first DC this past January (my kids & I went twice w/ friends in 01 & 04). And he had very high expectations (it's ALL my kids talk about, they reference the DCL at least once a week in relation to something or other). It was a HUGE adjustment to the "cruise way of vacationing" & not for everyone. But after about 2 days he "got into the groove" & said.......(now for my purpose of posting) "A bad day on a cruise, sure beats a good day at work!!!!" and all the people looking at my pictures said he truly seemed to enjoy himself. We pre-booked for 08 & I do believe he will be onboard once again. Try again in a few years, the age of the kids REALLY matters. Mine are 12 & 9.
On a side note, my DS's Boy Scout Troop going in July to WDW & we opted OUT of THAT trip. WDW is not the happiest place on earth, it is the most stressful. Yet THOUSANDS go every year b/c they feel every kid should go there. We did in 01 (Land/Sea) & all my kids wanted to do was go back to the hotel to swim. I felt my parents THE WORST in the world b/c I never went (oh now I see the wisdom in that decision). I went for the first time at age 23 & wondered what all the hype was about & 10 years later MY kids wondered the same thing!!! Yet DCL THE BEST for them. Live & learn.
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY..............

Why would anyone jump to the conclusion that someone was a "non-tipper" because they missed the last night supper? On DCL, as on many ships, tips may be added to your shipboard account. Those designated tips are automatically added to the proper servers tip account. The "coupon" they give you is only a formality, something to put in the olittle envelope. So please folks, do not jujp to the very negative opinion of someone who does not come to the final dinner....it does not necessarily mean they have skipped tipping. Give people a break and assume the best of someone until, or if, they show you the worst.

Perception is important and so is attitude. While we felt that DCL did not live up to our expectations in many ways, we still had a great time. I remember years ago being on a RCI 11-night cruise out of Miami. It was soon after 9/11 and they almost gave it away.

Then, since it still wasn't full, they offered good discounts to a lot of folks who lived in South Florida and they jumped at it. We lived in Indianapolis at the time and were surprised at the older crowd on an RCI ship. I thought that we were on HAL....but, no biggie.

But, the whiners were on that ship, big-time. I was amazed how many folks who had gotten such an astounding deal could complain so much about everything....but they did. RCI is not perfect nor is DCL, but we have had a great time on every cruise we've taken and we've had bad weather, cancellations, and other crazy things happen. One of our best cruises was a 10-night one on the RCI Splendour out of Galveston when the weather was completely crazy and we missed half of our ports. It was a great trip nonetheless.

But, we were not sick all the time and my DD had a great time in the RCI kids program. Hey, the OP didn't enjoy the trip. It's as simple as that. We were quite disappointed in the food on DCL and felt that it did not compare with what we had experienced on other lines. Yet, I still gained my usual amount amount of pounds and are heading back in September.

I do think that, after that trip, we'll be heading back to Celebrity where there is just an extra touch of quality and service in a number of areas but without, alas, the Disney magic that one cannot put a price upon.

ginna74 said:
Some are even bashing her son!
I certainly was not bashing her son. I mentioned that it seemed her son was afraid of a lot of things and this could be from being overprotective. Let me tell you, my DH and his 3 siblings are afraid of EVERYthing, "water, heights, boats, being outside, rides (his dad told them when they were little that once he rode a roller coaster and it "ripped his guts out!") etc. etc." The reason being...his mom was afraid and the kids grew up w/ that fear. All the siblings, as well as DH, married "opposites" and people who don't show that anxiety towards their kids. My DH is a little resentful at his parents that they were too overprotective. Who'da EVER thought he would love a cruise enough to do 6! (see above fears!) He also doesn't want our DD16mos to grow up afraid. She's already been to swim lessons at 10mos. Nothing against OP's son for being afraid, I surely don't blame him or my husband for being afraid.

This is a tough one. I keep trying not to have any expectations for our second DCL trip in September, but it's Disney, and it's impossible NOT to have expectations. :) The OP did pay a lot of money for everything involved, and I don't think it's out of line to expect a lot from Disney, no matter where you go: cruise, resorts, MK, Epcot, DVC, etc. Whether or not they are met can be influenced by multitudes of things, and the circumstances from week to week and month to month vary greatly.

I do think not having a lot of planning time for our first cruise (about three weeks, I think), helped. I didn't really like Flounders, but I also think it could have been my not knowing what to expect at the two times I took my daughter, then 2 1/2. She will be 5 1/2 by the time we go again in September, and I think she'll have a ball in the club. If not, she'll just stay with us. Our youngest daughter, who will also be 2 1/2 by September, will probably go to Flounders with her cousin who's coming with us. I think having more than one child or at least a friend in there probably would do a lot for the youngsters who have had a hard time -- of course, that's not always feasible to pay for other kids to come with! (Maybe Disney can sell some "Just add water and stir" pop-up friends to the gift shop!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:). If only it were that easy...

The nap thing can take a lot of time out of other activities, but for my kids, they are a must or EVERYONE on the ship will suffer the consequences of overtired, overstimulated young'uns. ;) It's easy to try to cram everything in in one trip because for some people, it truly is a one-time only opportunity. (I've noticed how much better our WDW trips are with annual passes -- we live 2.5 hours away, and so we DON'T have to feel the pressure of seeing everything in a short amount of time. That gives us the opportunity to slow down and really enjoy it. Not quite sure how to translate that to a cruise since there are no "annual passes"... Hmm, maybe Disney should come up with that!!!!!!!!! :rotfl2:

Of course, if I was seasick, that would ruin the whole trip pretty much no matter what else happened, but no one can control that. Maybe that was part of the food problem -- I can't imagine anything would taste good if I felt badly. :sad2:

I do wish you'd been able to get to Palo -- I think they'd have met your expectations there. Were you ever able to eat anywhere off the ship? (that truly is a question, not a slam or ANYTHING other than a curious question).

Who knows? Maybe you could try it again in the future, perhaps a shorter version just for one more try. Of course, it is completely up to you, OP. I'm not trying to tell you what to do!!!! It's your money and your vacation time -- do what you really enjoy!

Please don't let this thread get closed -- it is valuable, even if not everyone agrees with each other! :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes I truly don't think most posters were trying to be snotty or rude, just expressing a different experience they had at the same time. Please don't take it that way -- there are some fabulously wonderful people on here. :grouphug:

Tarabra said:
I certainly was not bashing her son. I mentioned that it seemed her son was afraid of a lot of things and this could be from being overprotective. Let me tell you, my DH and his 3 siblings are afraid of EVERYthing, "water, heights, boats, being outside, rides (his dad told them when they were little that once he rode a roller coaster and it "ripped his guts out!") etc. etc." The reason being...his mom was afraid and the kids grew up w/ that fear. All the siblings, as well as DH, married "opposites" and people who don't show that anxiety towards their kids. My DH is a little resentful at his parents that they were too overprotective. Who'da EVER thought he would love a cruise enough to do 6! (see above fears!) He also doesn't want our DD16mos to grow up afraid. She's already been to swim lessons at 10mos. Nothing against OP's son for being afraid, I surely don't blame him or my husband for being afraid.

That's not fair. I have one kid who's 100% daredevil and knows no fear. Her brother is Mr. Caution. His favorite phrase is "I don't think that's a good idea". You can't assume he didn't like the kids' room because she's overprotective. It's just as likely he didn't like the kids room because something struck him wrong when he first went in (like another kid running wild), he was exhuausted from travellling, etc. And, after all, he is three years old...sometimes three year olds are just going to act like three year olds - which is way more terrible than two years old in my experience.

I'm glad the OP decided to post a play-by-play. It gave me a better feel for where most of her post-cruise thoughts came from.

I hope your next vacation is better.

ricka47 said:
As long as you lower the food expectations of your DH, you will be fine. DCL food does not compare to Celebrity in any way. The service is as good, but more formal on X. I was surprised when our DCL waitstaff called us by our first names. On other lines it's usually Mr. or Mrs. or maybe Mr. Richard or Mr. Rick. Some may call this "stuffy." We call it the reason to cruise: to be treated like royalty. If I wanted casual treatment, there's always Denny's!

I missed some of the "my pleasure sir" or, for my wife, "my pleasure madam." That doesn't make DCL bad, just less formal than other lines which may be great for some. But, we found that it spilled over into the dress and manners of those onboard as well and that wasn't good.

I loved the way our waiter Claudio called us Sir and Madam. He even spoke to the children with so much respect. Now since we're home from our 3/4 Magic cruise we are keeping up the respect at our own dinner table. DS6 and DS3 are getting used to the formal treatment. If anyone is looking for this kind of service, ask for Claudio and Carolina. They were wonderful.

Tarabra said:

Had to chime in 1 more time here. Maybe you do not know enough to comment about this type of issue. Not totally your fault I guess, because I did not offer any info in my post. My son has had significant health issues. He had a very tough beginning and was in the NICU for over 3 months, we almost lost him many times. We still have many more worries then most other parents. Am I over protective, heck yeah, can't help it. I promise you this is the reason my son is at last thriving today. It is difficult to judge anyone unless you have walked in their shoes.

I think I would have had a tough time with the rough seas the OP describes. Being sick all the time would just ruin my trip. We took ginger capsules with us but never needed them. We just got back from the Western and had great luck with the weather. Everyday was terrific. DH is a sailor and when looking over the Eastern itinerary he commented that the seas would be much rougher than on the Western. (this is before we heard about all the problems on the last Eastern cruise). I would suggest for folks reading this board and trying to decide about a cruise, that the Western has a better chance at calmer seas. Of course, that means you have to commit to a 7-day cruise instead of a 3 or 4-day cruise. That could be a problem for those who think they might have an issue with seasickness. Just a thought. If only DCL could control the weather. :woohoo:

Oh, and when we took the ship tour, the CM said they have had several medical debarks lately. That can really mess up your trip and also is completely unpredictable. I guess that's another reason for trying to just go with the flow, but that's not an easy thing for me to do. Just ask my DH. :rolleyes:

Gotta say the food is only OK. Some nights were good and others pretty bland. Palo was fabulous.

I have to chime in about the apple juice from room service. Awful, awful, awful. :rotfl: The OP said it tasted syrupy and she was right. We ordered room service breakfast for the kids almost every morning because they just wanted cereal, etc. and liked to eat right away. Then DH and I went to a sit-down breakfast. Much better.

We knew from a previous cruise to avoid the Topsiders buffet. For the most part, just awful. Made-to-order pasta was good. We enjoyed the sandwiches and wraps at Goofy's and ate lots of junk food at Pluto's and Pinocchio's because we never eat that at home.

milestogo said:
Wow, I'm shocked that you had such a bad experience. We have taken the cruise twice out of Los Angeles and have dozens of friends who have taken it 4-12 times and couldn't have had a more opposite experience from yours. I'm so sorry to hear that it was that poor. Every meal we had was spectacular (and we are cooks and big eaters.) Everyone at our table was begging for recipes and couldn't get enough of the varied lunches and fun breakfast and dessert bars. We went every day to the kids clubs and had quiet, organized well attended, fun atomospheres. Every element was so impressive far and above any other cruise line we'd ever been on. Gosh, I hope your next one is better.

When did you cruise?

Just wanted to say that I'm sorry the OP had a bad experience. Maybe it's not the right acation for your family.
I went on th 9-11 Disney Wonder with my DD3. I am 21 and a single mom with 2 DD's, so I had used my savings for this cruise. Unfortunately, I was cruising by myself and DD wasn't potty trained. So, I did stay in the clubs with her and had no free time to myself to enjoy any adult sections.
I do agree that they need more CM's for the 3-4 age group. Although, DD loved the clubs, we never spent too long in there because it did get pretty crazy. There were too many kids for them to handle in that age group. But considering how many CM's were there I believe they did a fabulous job.
As for the food I thought it was amazing. Considering, I really have nothing to compare it to other than fast food and macaroni and cheese.
Our wait staff was awsome and made me feel very comfortable even though the rest of the table never showed up. They did offer to move me to another table or even the earlier seating, I wish I would have, now.
But overall I spent valuable time with my daughter. So, we have booked another cruise on the magic with both of my DD's in September 07. My mom and dad are coming, too. I'm sure we'll all have a blast, as long as noone gets sick.
And to the OP, I hope your next vacation is more of what you expect.

amesmom said:
I think I would have had a tough time with the rough seas the OP describes. Being sick all the time would just ruin my trip. We took ginger capsules with us but never needed them. We just got back from the Western and had great luck with the weather. Everyday was terrific. DH is a sailor and when looking over the Eastern itinerary he commented that the seas would be much rougher than on the Western. (this is before we heard about all the problems on the last Eastern cruise). I would suggest for folks reading this board and trying to decide about a cruise, that the Western has a better chance at calmer seas. Of course, that means you have to commit to a 7-day cruise instead of a 3 or 4-day cruise. That could be a problem for those who think they might have an issue with seasickness. Just a thought. If only DCL could control the weather.

I just want to say.....again, that the seas were only somewhat rough one day!!! The rest of the trip they were VERY calm.

I was on the boat, and there were not people sick everywhere!!! My husband saw the kid who puked in the pool, and he said she had just finished her character breakfast, (we were at the same one), and he saw her running around....then puke.

I just feel the OP made it sound like the entire trip was rough seas....it was not! Just the one day, and like I said, not THAT bad! My husband, and son, who both have motion sickness where fine....

I had friends who just did the western, and their seas where definitely rougher than ours....

As far as the food.....I thought they did a great job, and was only dissapointed in a few dishes...nothing that would ruin my trip!! Time with my family, and wonderfull service made up for anything that wasn't "perfect".

Sandi

Sandi...In all honesty, what may be calm seas to you may be rough to someone else. My DH and I both get seasick (I thought tendering was going to do me in in GC) During our cruise in August 2004, we had one rough day and alot in our party got sick and our friends saw people getting sick. It NEVER even bothered us at all and we saw no one getting sick.

On our recent cruise the seas were as calm as could be, with a movement every now and then, different people from our August crusie that we sailed with this time said, boy this is bad, we shook our heads and said we get more movement in a car or even walking LOL But although we DO get seasick our perception of movement was so different from the 15 other people sailing with us.

Sorry cruisingsoon about your son's rough start. My daughter also started her life in NICU. She's fine now, and just like any other 16 mos old. I told my husband, she wasn't going to spend her life wrapped in bubble wrap like his family was. It sometimes pains me to be at my in-law's. All the gasping and chasing w/ every step and fall DD makes. We've all had our bumps and bruises growing up and for the most part, we've all survived! :confused3

Mjasp said:
Sandi...In all honesty, what may be calm seas to you may be rough to someone else.

I agree....but I guess what I was trying to say is that according to the bridge report (on the tv in stateroom), every day but one was "calm" seas, according to the wave swells....

If the OP found many of the days to be rough....then perhaps cruising is just not for them....because the seas were "calm" according to how high the swells were.

I am not trying to say they are making it up....just that the OP made it sound like we had rough seas, and not a good week....when in fact the crew kept saying how lucky we were, that we had such great weather/seas. I just think that everything was blown out of porportion.....and the seas where not really that bad....and even if they were....Disney can't do anything about that. I honestly did not see many people sick, but if I had been, maybe I would have been more sensitive to it myself.

Sandi

Wow-let's all take a step back and breathe!
Rough seas for a few minutes can throw someone off for days. That is why it took DH three days of coaxing to rebook after I had some yucky hours the first night of our Eastern cruise. Then the sea calm did its magic and we have been on four more cruises since then always armed with the meds the infirmary provides :sunny:
Starting your life off in the Nicu is not fun I know we also did it...and my 15 year old still holds a little bigger soft spot in my heart, but I chose to not over protect-she has two sisters and they are all athletes, and afraid of nothing except maybe showing there Dad who they really think is cute...He tends to want to tell the guy :confused3 Anyway, my youngest is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts so she is a constant worry also, but at the end of the day you need to choose how you want to live and raise your kids.
The OP had some genuine concerns, and she had enough courage to post them on a board made up of TRUE DCL LOVIN' VETERANS. Each person is entitled to their post, their opinion. It is true after reading through this all, I think that crusing may not be the right fit for her family...but she has to decide that, it is not our place to choose for her! I welcome both good and bad comments about the ships and their cruises. Some make me laugh and others cause some thought....that is why life is so much fun we all do not like the same things :rolleyes1

Tarabra said:
Sorry cruisingsoon about your son's rough start. My daughter also started her life in NICU. She's fine now, and just like any other 16 mos old. I told my husband, she wasn't going to spend her life wrapped in bubble wrap like his family was. It sometimes pains me to be at my in-law's. All the gasping and chasing w/ every step and fall DD makes. We've all had our bumps and bruises growing up and for the most part, we've all survived! :confused3

I am glad your DD is a typical 16 month old now. So sorry to hear she was in the NICU. Hopefully she did not have all the experiences of my DS. I would think not since she is now "like every other 16 mos old". That may never be possible for my DS. In your situation it does sound like your in-law's are too careful, that would "pain" me too. However, please don't think that you understand where everyone else has come from and what challenges they may still face.

My main reason for my original post (other then a rant about the food) was to let other people know that the class sizes for the 3-4 year olds is Very Very large. I looked at the job postings for DCL. It states that persons interested should be able to deal with high volumes of kids. Even though I read this before our trip I still thought that the kids would be assigned a councelor when they came in, and be in a smaller group of 3-4 year olds with that councelor--so that they could know where all the kids were and do activities with them, etc. -like a typical pre-school environment I guess. I was not prepared for them all to be running around together (sometimes with kids as old as 7), fighting for play dough and craft stuff, no one really knowing who was there at any given time (except for the check in desk at the front). The shoving and hitting I saw was typical of kids I guess, but I still think things would have been better controlled if the class sizes were smaller. If one councelor was actually assigned to my son somehow I would have felt better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter