• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I assume that trip insurance doesn't care that you paid for your trip with gift cards, right?

Also, Google hasn't been very helpful in clarifying this... If I want to pay for the Disney gift cards I buy at Target with Target gift cards, then I need a Target red card credit card (not a Target red card debit card because that automatically withdraws from your bank account)?
Trip insurance looks at how much you paid, not how you made your payments. But getting your money from them can be a slow, arduous process. If you were able to enjoy part of your trip, they will prorate the amount that they refund to you. But the refund is always in the form of a check from the insurer.

smh A Target debit card works just as well as a Target CC when it comes to getting a 5% discount off of purchases. But you're correct that the debit card withdraws from your bank account whereas the CC has a grace period before it needs to be paid.

And if you make your purchase at the store (vs. online), the 5% discount only applies to the amount paid with the Target REDCard. The amount of the GCs is deducted first and then the discount is applied to the balance.

That's brilliant! I had never heard of a Disney Vacation Savings Account. For anyone else who is also interested in doing this, I read through the FAQs and you need to have your savings account active for 120 days in order to get the $20 GC for every $1,000. That means I'm out of luck for our January cruise but I'm still opening one. We'll use it every year and it is a lot more convenient if I go the GC route (Planning to buy Target GC with my CC; then Disney GC through Target's red card).

Correction- According to another DISBoards thread. Someone posted in May and confirmed in July that they received their bonus at 120 days eventhough they had made their vacation payments before then. I reread the original explanation on the FAQ and it's vague but it doesn't specify anything about whether payments need to be made before or after the 120 days. Simply that you can't get the bonus until it's been active for 120 days. This is the DISBoards thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3272549&page=4

So, let me make sure that I'm following this correctly.

I can take the Disney gift cards that I'm getting and deposit them in a disney savings account, which I can use for paying off vacation stuff, and then for every $1000, I get another $20 in gift cards from Disney?

Can the Disney savings account be used to pay for on-board cruise expenses like gratuities, spa services, etc?

To answer your question, someone at the end of that thread said today "Your TA can use the funds in your Disney Savings Account towards your trip. I just paid for a cruise and even added shipboard credit through a TA using the DVA."

To answer your question, someone at the end of that thread said today "Your TA can use the funds in your Disney Savings Account towards your trip. I just paid for a cruise and even added shipboard credit through a TA using the DVA."

REALLY??? I had read previously that you could not use a DVA when paying via a TA. That is very good news.

Jodie

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I had no idea about the red card trick and now I'm going to save a bunch on my cruise. :)

Just bought $95 worth of Target gift cards from a resale site for $91. Used my Disney rewards visa, so I'll get roughly $1 back in rewards. Then I bought the disney gift cards online, so I pretty much saved 10%.

:cool1:

I am so glad I read this thread!!! I thought for sure I wouldn't get the discount if I paid with TGCs!

Wow! I'm so glad I found this thread. Thanks for all the tips!
I used my Disney Visa on Samsclub.com to buy Disney Gift Cards (I didn't realize Sam's took credit cards online until I read this thread). Saved $7.02 per $150 gift card pack and will earn 1% back from Disney Visa.
I also opened a Disney Vacation Account and plan to deposit the gift cards in it to earn a $20 gift card for each $1,000 when I spend it to buy our annual passes.

Another gift card deal to consider:
Several restaurants at Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney are owned by Landry's (Yak & Yetti, Rainforest Café, T-Rex) and you can use a Landry's gift card to pay for your meal.
I just bought a $200 Landry's Gift Card from Raise.com (a gift card resale site) for $153 (use code MYRAISE to save $5 off $60). That's a savings of $47!

Another gift card deal to consider:
Several restaurants at Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney are owned by Landry's (Yak & Yetti, Rainforest Café, T-Rex) and you can use a Landry's gift card to pay for your meal.
I just bought a $200 Landry's Gift Card from Raise.com (a gift card resale site) for $153 (use code MYRAISE to save $5 off $60). That's a savings of $47!

If you will be there during your birthday month, you can join the Landry Select club and get $25 for your birthday.

If you will be there during your birthday month, you can join the Landry Select club and get $25 for your birthday.

I just buy them from Costco.com. They're actually McCormick and Smhick, but can be used at all Landry's restaurants (T-Rex, Yak & Yeti, and Rainforest Cafe).They're $80 for a $100 card. I also buy Wolfgang Puck (can be used at WPE also) gift cards for the same price. We bought 2 WP cards and 3 Landry's. $400 for $500 worth of gift cards.

I bought Disney gift cards at Target today to pay off my balance on my trip and saved $130! This was the first time I have done this and I was pleased. I haven't loved entering them on the website, however, so I just remind myself of the savings. I called Disney and did some that way, but I jammed the system and they told me to call back tomorrow. I still have half of them to do tomorrow :sad:

1) Does anyone know how often Kroger does the 4X fuel points? I've never really used much of any fuel points because I don't shop at Kroger very often, but I like the savings it would give for purchasing the Disney gift cards.

2) If you purchase Disney gift cards on Target.com and want to pay using a target gift card, just because you have a red card does not mean you get the extra 5% off does it? If you can do that, how do you do it?

Thanks!

1) Does anyone know how often Kroger does the 4X fuel points? I've never really used much of any fuel points because I don't shop at Kroger very often, but I like the savings it would give for purchasing the Disney gift cards.

2) If you purchase Disney gift cards on Target.com and want to pay using a target gift card, just because you have a red card does not mean you get the extra 5% off does it? If you can do that, how do you do it?

Thanks!
1. Can't answer that one. Don't live in an area where there are any Kroger stores.

2. You can get 5% off the entire purchase if the GC does not cover the full amount and you pay the rest with your Target REDCard. So, if you have a $50 Target GC and you put a $50 Disney GC in your cart, you won't get the discount. But if you have a $46 Target GC and put a $50 Disney GC in your cart with the REDCard as your default payment for the balance, then you will pay $47.50 for the Disney GC - $46 paid with the Target GC and $1.50 paid with the Target REDCard. You have to pay at least 1¢ with the REDCard to get the discount!

1. Can't answer that one. Don't live in an area where there are any Kroger stores.

2. You can get 5% off the entire purchase if the GC does not cover the full amount and you pay the rest with your Target REDCard. So, if you have a $50 Target GC and you put a $50 Disney GC in your cart, you won't get the discount. But if you have a $46 Target GC and put a $50 Disney GC in your cart with the REDCard as your default payment for the balance, then you will pay $47.50 for the Disney GC - $46 paid with the Target GC and $1.50 paid with the Target REDCard. You have to pay at least 1¢ with the REDCard to get the discount!

Actually, you do not have to charge anything to your Red Card to get the discount. Just make sure the Red Card is set as the default payment. You can pay with a Target gift card and you get the 5% off of the entire purchase.

Kroger generally runs the promo around Easter, Fathers Day, Back to School, and Thanksgiving + random other promos (there is one going on now - you must download the coupon to your Kroger card - runs till 10/4).

Hope this helps.

Jodie

Actually, you do not have to charge anything to your Red Card to get the discount. Just make sure the Red Card is set as the default payment. You can pay with a Target gift card and you get the 5% off of the entire purchase.

Kroger generally runs the promo around Easter, Fathers Day, Back to School, and Thanksgiving + random other promos (there is one going on now - you must download the coupon to your Kroger card - runs till 10/4).

Hope this helps.

Jodie
Read this thread from last week. The OP's entire order was canceled when they attempted to purchase Disney GCs and pay for them completely with a Target GC.
disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3331225

Kroger generally runs the promo around Easter, Fathers Day, Back to School, and Thanksgiving + random other promos (there is one going on now - you must download the coupon to your Kroger card - runs till 10/4). Hope this helps. Jodie

Well, I clicked on the link in my email from Kroger and when it sent me to the site, there was no way to put a 4x fuel point digital coupon on my card. It sent me directly to the 4x fuel point promo, but there was no button or anything to add it to my card. Anyone know why?

Just wanted to share my experiences with the DVA in case it helps others. I opened mine almost 4 months ago when it felt a little more scary :rotfl2: but others had already reported it was working so I said heck with it, I need to save all I can!

I do the Target "thing". I either purchase the Disney gift cards at Target using my Red card for the 5% savings and/or cash in my rewards money (Perks and Swagbucks) and order a Disney gift card through Target online (after entering in the Target app in my phone and consolidating them into one) and I still get the 5% off as mentioned since my Target debit card is the "default". Also - I just did this Saturday and so far my order has not been cancelled and I have not had any other order cancelled.

Once I have the gift cards, I load them into the DVA online and it's so easy. I love the idea they are all consolidated in one place and since I use Costco for DCL, I don't have to call Costco and give them 20 gift cards at a time to then call DCL to apply them.

I had read this recently and wanted to offer it was true in my situation. I actually moved a cruise and therefore had to PIF and also upgraded a cabin category on another and had to pay the difference. Luckily because I've been funding my DVA I was able to do both without any additional costs but here is what happened. DCL would *not* allow Costco to give them my DVA information. I had to call DCL after dealing with Costco and give them the information. I've understood it's in the terms and conditions that you aren't allowed to provide your account number to anyone (including TA apparently) and DCL was strict on this, each time. Not sure how it works with WDW vacations but just sharing my recent DCL situation.

On the 2nd change I made, I actually gave the Costco rep a heads up - they won't allow me to give the DV account number to you, but I told her I don't mind if you stay online as long as DCL is okay with it (so I wouldn't have to hang up and risk my reservation not being done correctly) and luckily DCL allowed that and just took the info from me. I had to remind both agents they use a "dummy expiration" date and they both giggled and said, oh yeah.

It was an easy experience and I think as more agents get familiar with it, it will be even better. I haven't quite hit my 120 mark but I'm watching it like a hawk for my $20 bonuses!

Hope this helps,
Heather

Just wanted to share my experiences with the DVA in case it helps others. I opened mine almost 4 months ago when it felt a little more scary :rotfl2: but others had already reported it was working so I said heck with it, I need to save all I can!

I do the Target "thing". I either purchase the Disney gift cards at Target using my Red card for the 5% savings and/or cash in my rewards money (Perks and Swagbucks) and order a Disney gift card through Target online (after entering in the Target app in my phone and consolidating them into one) and I still get the 5% off as mentioned since my Target debit card is the "default". Also - I just did this Saturday and so far my order has not been cancelled and I have not had any other order cancelled.

Once I have the gift cards, I load them into the DVA online and it's so easy. I love the idea they are all consolidated in one place and since I use Costco for DCL, I don't have to call Costco and give them 20 gift cards at a time to then call DCL to apply them.

I had read this recently and wanted to offer it was true in my situation. I actually moved a cruise and therefore had to PIF and also upgraded a cabin category on another and had to pay the difference. Luckily because I've been funding my DVA I was able to do both without any additional costs but here is what happened. DCL would *not* allow Costco to give them my DVA information. I had to call DCL after dealing with Costco and give them the information. I've understood it's in the terms and conditions that you aren't allowed to provide your account number to anyone (including TA apparently) and DCL was strict on this, each time. Not sure how it works with WDW vacations but just sharing my recent DCL situation.

On the 2nd change I made, I actually gave the Costco rep a heads up - they won't allow me to give the DV account number to you, but I told her I don't mind if you stay online as long as DCL is okay with it (so I wouldn't have to hang up and risk my reservation not being done correctly) and luckily DCL allowed that and just took the info from me. I had to remind both agents they use a "dummy expiration" date and they both giggled and said, oh yeah.

It was an easy experience and I think as more agents get familiar with it, it will be even better. I haven't quite hit my 120 mark but I'm watching it like a hawk for my $20 bonuses!

Hope this helps,
Heather

Helps a ton! Great info!! I used my DVA recently to purchase WDW tickets. BUT I was thinking that I would not be able to use my DVA through Costco to pay for my cruise, but it sounds like with a little finessing, it will work.

What do you mean about a "dummy expiration?"

By the way, you must specifically request your bonus $20. There is a place on the DVA site where you do this. I had been sitting here wondering where my bonus was - didn't realize you had to request it. Oops.

Jodie

Read this thread from last week. The OP's entire order was canceled when they attempted to purchase Disney GCs and pay for them completely with a Target GC.
disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3331225

Interesting - thanks! I had not heard of this happening. I might give it a try and see what happens. Will report back.

Jodie

Helps a ton! Great info!! I used my DVA recently to purchase WDW tickets. BUT I was thinking that I would not be able to use my DVA through Costco to pay for my cruise, but it sounds like with a little finessing, it will work.

What do you mean about a "dummy expiration?"

By the way, you must specifically request your bonus $20. There is a place on the DVA site where you do this. I had been sitting here wondering where my bonus was - didn't realize you had to request it. Oops.

Jodie

Hi Jodie :) :wave: I really didn't have any issues with DCL and the DV account and I guess it just pays to know a little bit about the process to help guide them, but we're used to that with Costco, right? ;)

Apparently when DCL enters the DV account it really reads as a gift card and since gift cards don't have an exp date like a credit card would they have to enter a "dummy date". As soon as I've reminded them, they knew exactly what I was talking about and I forget the date they said they enter - whatever works, works for me!

I don't have the option or the "button" yet for the bonus since I haven't hit my 120 days. I believe I hit that in about two weeks so I'll be stalking it to make sure it appears but understood and thanks for the reminder that you must request the bonus $20. I'm not sure if I'll let them sit and build while I pay off the cruise or get them in $20 increments. Hmm...
Interesting - thanks! I had not heard of this happening. I might give it a try and see what happens. Will report back.

Jodie

This is what I was referring to and I just ordered this weekend and so far, so good. I've never had an issue before but I know others have reported they have. I'm hoping it's just a fluke and the system was acting up or something. Let us know how it goes as well.

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter