• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Fantasy -- Mechanical Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, when we were on the 1/15 sailing of the Dream we made it to Castaway Cay the night before due to bad weather. The next day the weather was so windy and the water so rough that all excursions were cancelled and beaches were closed. In nine cruises it's the only time the weather has been that bad, but we made the most of it. Since the island was deserted, we walked around and had a great time :) Oh, and the only compensation we received was a bag of popcorn and two Mickey rice Krispy treats. We didn't even expect that. They had more activities on the ship to make up for the nasty weather. I can't believe that some people have such a sense of entitlement about something that Disney has no control over. I would be over the moon if I was given a stateroom credit and a 20% off discount on a future cruise that I didn't have to book then and there.

Someone who is traveling alone pays the same price as a couple pays to travel in the same stateroom. Do you think it would be fair that the couple recieves twice as much credit as the single traveler even though they paid the exact same amount to sail.
Exactly. Which is why per stateroom is the most logical way to handle it.
So what you are saying is that people are not equal as travelers. I don't agree. But rationality can still be applied. By your point about payment, people should have been refunded a percentage of what they paid. Even that would have made more sense than by room.

Whatever. The point is what was reasonable for the company to do giving on board credit per stateroom vs per passenger.
In the past DCL has given OBC per passenger. Back in 2010 when they had trouble keeping bookings, we received $100 per person for keeping our booking. So in addition to OBC from our ta plus we booked a gty AND had a kids free offer made that our cheapest cruise ever. (A 10-night Med cruise for $2200 total fare 2A+2C and $750 OBC)unthinkable with the current prices DCL has now.

So even though the kids had no cruise fare, they did receive $100 obc.

Can you 'sell' your 20% off to someone else then?
No and you can't even change passengers...has to be those that were on this cruise. The letter was pretty specific.

Hey, when we were on the 1/15 sailing of the Dream we made it to Castaway Cay the night before due to bad weather. The next day the weather was so windy and the water so rough that all excursions were cancelled and beaches were closed. In nine cruises it's the only time the weather has been that bad, but we made the most of it. Since the island was deserted, we walked around and had a great time :) Oh, and the only compensation we received was a bag of popcorn and two Mickey rice Krispy treats. We didn't even expect that. They had more activities on the ship to make up for the nasty weather. I can't believe that some people have such a sense of entitlement about something that Disney has no control over. I would be over the moon if I was given a stateroom credit and a 20% off discount on a future cruise that I didn't have to book then and there.
I don't know that I would say that they didn't have "any" control over this. Weather....they cannot control. Maintenance....mmmm....that can be argued that they may very well have known there were potential problems brewing and they just waited....
But we will never know for sure now will we? ;)

I would say that a mechanical issue is something in their control. Weather, no. But when taking a cruise, my expectation is that the ship is safe and free of mechanical issues.

Again, I was on this cruise. It angered me to see people cursing at the cast members about this issue. People were obviously upset, so to come on here and say everyone was happy and thought Disney was being generous is not true. It is obvious to me that this issue was known before lunch on Thursday. The captain's announcement was not off the cuff and I am assuming some higher-ups back on land had to approve the OBC and 20% off deal. That didn't happen 5 minutes before the announcement.

I spoke to several people and they felt that the 20% off should come off the current cruise. I am not saying I agree with that - just what I was told. They felt it was no skin off Disney's back because they get another reservation for a cruise. And while the $200 could be refunded to you, many people took the opportunity to shop on the ship (that's what we did!) or drink up! People can be ridiculous, I get that. I saw some man at guest services curse out a cast member because they added the same amount of tip money to his child's account that they did his account. He felt $83 tip for his children was way too much and lowered it to $30 each. I was embarrassed for him.

Disney did their best to compensate. Did they have to? No. But I think the situation was worse than they were letting on. And I believe the potential for something to happen out there was very possible. Again, the cast members seemed to be over compensating for missing Castaway Cay. Missing CC happens all the time.

All in all, it was a great cruise and the cast members did their best to compensate and make it a great experience for guests. It was a bit bumpy and we felt several vibrations but I got over that with the help of Dramamine! My only frustration is that you cannot stack the 20% and 10% on board booking. Really, they gave people 10%. Don't say 20% when it really isn't that. Yes, I get that we have 2 years to use the 20%. But we re-booked on Tuesday of the cruise (thank goodness because those lines were huge after the 20% off deal was announced!). We have not yet applied our 20% but from what I have heard, if we use the 20%, we lose the $200 obc for the new cruise and will have to put down 20% rather than the 10% with the original onboard booking. Doesn't sound very gracious to me. Don't give an apology "gift" with lots of restrictions. It doesn't make me look greedy, it makes Disney look greedy. I didn't ask for the 20%, you gave it to me. Yes, you didn't have to give me anything, I get that too.

But again, I expect a cruise with a ship that is in good working order. It wasn't. And while some people want to believe this is Disney and they wouldn't let anything bad happen, I know bad things can happen. I was worried. My family, the people I love the most, were on that ship and I didn't want anything to happen to us or anyone on that ship. They were being vague about what was exactly going on. People on this board knew more than the people on the ship (internet access is expensive!!). Disney isn't perfect. All I knew was that there was a mechanical issue and heard rumors that an engine went out. I honestly don't know much about ships, but when an airplane has an engine go out, that is not a good thing. We had an issue with an excursion that we paid a lot of money for and it did not go as planned. The manager admitted Disney failed and I was less than pleased with Disney's response to the situation. Maybe that is why I am a little bitter about this. I don't know. We all spend A LOT of money on these trips and cruises. When things go wrong, it is disappointing. Missing Castaway Cay was sad for us but we will get over it. I am not sure if we will keep our reservation for the cruise I booked. We will see. All in all, great cruise, but I need some time to process everything and decide what our family wants to do next.

Last edited:

But again, I expect a cruise with a ship that is in good working order. It wasn't. And while some people want to believe this is Disney and they wouldn't let anything bad happen, I know bad things can happen. I was worried. My family, the people I love the most, were on that ship and I didn't want anything to happen to us or anyone on that ship. They were being vague about what was exactly going on. People on this board knew more than the people on the ship (internet access is expensive!!). Disney isn't perfect. All I knew was that there was a mechanical issue and heard rumors that an engine went out. I honestly don't know much about ships, but when an airplane has an engine go out, that is not a good thing. We had an issue with an excursion that we paid a lot of money for and it did not go as planned. The manager admitted Disney failed and I was less than pleased with Disney's response to the situation. Maybe that is why I am a little bitter about this. I don't know. We all spend A LOT of money on these trips and cruises. When things go wrong, it is disappointing. Missing Castaway Cay was sad for us but we will get over it. I am not sure if we will keep our reservation for the cruise I booked. We will see. All in all, great cruise, but I need some time to process everything and decide what our family wants to do next.

Ok that would not be the same at all. A plane in the air can not turn off the engines and remain in the air.

A ship in the water can turn off the engines (all engines) and still float. Can't control where it is going anymore but can still float. That would be dangerous only once getting near land. In this case only one engine was potentially out.

Seems she sailed in good order, no problems, operating at normal speed, no unusual items noted. These vessels are massive, highly technical machines, all can be fine, then had some type of mechanical problem. How many of us have had a new car suddenly stop on the road?? All vessels, planes, trains. bus, cars and any other machines can be in good order and have a brake down, that was not detectable until it happened. As to being vague, it often takes time to find what the problem is. The fact she sailed with little delay, sounds likely that they needed some part, which was delivered to the vessel in PC, was installed and then she sailed.

She continued the voyage at +/-17kts, which is almost full speed, This was not a safety issue. In fact, the point that DCL did not even try to make CC, even though by cancelling it, they knew guests would be upset, shows they were putting the safety of the guests, crew and vessel as their first issue.

I have no comment on the compensation, Ill leave that to you folks who were there, but these things are done by guidelines and the powers that be (the shore side ship manager), are able to make a that decision fast/in minutes, its nothing more then a phone call.

We are going on the April 9th voyage and cannot wait to sail!

AKK

Last edited:
Duh!
Ok that would not be the same at all. A plane in the air can not turn off the engines and remain in the air.

A ship in the water can turn off the engines (all engines) and still float. Can't control where it is going anymore but can still float. That would be dangerous only once getting near land. In this case only one engine was potentially out.

Duh, I should have known that! Thank you for the explanation.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="
She continued the voyage at +/-17kts, which is almost full speed, This was not a safety issue. In fact, the point that DCL did not even try to make CC, even though by cancelling it, they knew guests would be upset, shows they were putting the safety of the guests, crew and vessel as their first issue.

AKK[/QUOTE]

It's not a safety issue but they put the safety of the guests as their first issue? Sounds like it was a safety issue to me. How do you know it wasn't a safety issue? I was on the ship. Something was wrong with the ship, it was obvious to many people. I guess I am tired of people who weren't on the ship saying this wasn't a big deal and people are whining and being greedy. Yes, in the end it all worked out. But there were a lot of unknowns to the guests.

Disney's gesture for 20% off and $200 was kind. It was a PR move...they had to do something. People realize Disney cannot control weather, but when you say there is a mechanical issue, a red flag goes up. I am sure that 20% off sure helped people forget about what was really going on.

Someone just above said that Disney came off as greedy with their restrictions....I couldn't agree more. It was petty.

[QUOTE="

AKK

It's not a safety issue but they put the safety of the guests as their first issue? Sounds like it was a safety issue to me. How do you know it wasn't a safety issue? I was on the ship. Something was wrong with the ship, it was obvious to many people. I guess I am tired of people who weren't on the ship saying this wasn't a big deal and people are whining and being greedy. Yes, in the end it all worked out. But there were a lot of unknowns to the guests.

The point was were that the voyage or vessel herself was not a safety issue as the vessel was operating proper at the start.....no safety problems .

The fact was by thier actions in going to PC directly shows they were putting the guests safety first

AKK

Last edited:

Disney's gesture for 20% off and $200 was kind. It was a PR move...they had to do something. People realize Disney cannot control weather, but when you say there is a mechanical issue, a red flag goes up. I am sure that 20% off sure helped people forget about what was really going on.

Someone just above said that Disney came off as greedy with their restrictions....I couldn't agree more. It was petty.

I would see it as not an immediate safety issue but a potential one.

From what I have read about ships with these type of things it seems the engines are mostly redundant, which is why with one not being able to be used it could still sail.

However the reason you have redundancy is so that you don't have a safety issue. If one fails you no longer have that backup. Think of it like if you have a spare tire in your car (a full spare not a donut). If you blow a tire and put on the spare you have a fully functioning car. There is no immediate safety issue. But what if another tire goes? Then you would have a safety issue, so you want to get to where you can have a new spare as quickly as possible.

Losing both engines in a ship does create a safety issue, the ship will still float but remember the ship in the pacific a few years back that had an engine fire and the ship was floating but without power? I think they had to be slowly tugged in and had things like food being dropped by the coast guard because they couldn't cook properly. Disney policy may be (I would hope so) that if you lose an engine you get to a dock where you can get a repair ASAP. I doubt they can do that at Castaway Cay.

The fact is it was not a safety issue as the vessel was operating proper at the start.....no safety problems . The fact was by thier actions in going to PC directly shows they were putting the guests safety first.

AKK

We arrived home to 20 degree temps last night. I want to go back to the warm Carribean weather.

My opinion, DCL did a great job accommodating guests during the extra day at sea. I enjoyed the extra activities and also the free drinks that night before dinner. Again just my opinion.

I am not a nautical expert by any means, but I do know that the ship was not operating close to full speed. There were times when if felt like we were barely moving. We checked the bridge report on the tv through out the week and the ship was defiantly limping along during the last two days. I didn't note the knots however.

My only concern from a safety stand point was the weather. If a weather event happened, I didn't feel we Would be able to sail around it. I could be completely wrong with that, but was my feeling.

I was one of those who stood in line to book a future cruise when the discount was announced by the captain. Initially everyone in line was excited by and happy with what was offered. That changed a little when we were told that booking with the 20% off would not include room credit for the future cruise. I was disappointed when told that because I was expecting it to be included.

All in all, I was happy with the offer. The CC weather was not expected to be very warm and was supposed to be very windy.

My one concern with this is parity. There is no excuse for berating front line cast members. I wonder though if the squeaky wheel was treated any differently. I am hoping that DCL didn't reward this behavior by offering additional incentives to these people.

I think too that room location plays a lot into the "ship rocking." The night we sailed from Tortolla to St Thomas was really rocky, but other than that thought it was a very smoot cruise.

We arrived home to 20 degree temps last night. I want to go back to the warm Carribean weather.

My opinion, DCL did a great job accommodating guests during the extra day at sea. I enjoyed the extra activities and also the free drinks that night before dinner. Again just my opinion.

I am not a nautical expert by any means, but I do know that the ship was not operating close to full speed. There were times when if felt like we were barely moving. We checked the bridge report on the tv through out the week and the ship was defiantly limping along during the last two days. I didn't note the knots however.

My only concern from a safety stand point was the weather. If a weather event happened, I didn't feel we Would be able to sail around it. I could be completely wrong with that, but was my feeling.

I was one of those who stood in line to book a future cruise when the discount was announced by the captain. Initially everyone in line was excited by and happy with what was offered. That changed a little when we were told that booking with the 20% off would not include room credit for the future cruise. I was disappointed when told that because I was expecting it to be included.

All in all, I was happy with the offer. The CC weather was not expected to be very warm and was supposed to be very windy.

My one concern with this is parity. There is no excuse for berating front line cast members. I wonder though if the squeaky wheel was treated any differently. I am hoping that DCL didn't reward this behavior by offering additional incentives to these people.

I think too that room location plays a lot into the "ship rocking." The night we sailed from Tortolla to St Thomas was really rocky, but other than that thought it was a very smoot cruise.

Hello Red,

I am going by the reports made, that she was doing 17 knots, which is very close to her full cruising speed. She was reported as slowing down near the last day as she had to wait for the other vessels/cruise ships going into PC. She may have slowed down as any time for whatever reasons.

As to the weather, with 4 engines operating on the return trip, weather would not have been a issue. They could have road around it or though it depending on conditions.

Whatever the rolling was, anytime you take a cruise, you have to expect the weather and sea conditions to effect the riding of the vessel. One engine down would not have made any difference. She had 4 other engines, all can be tied together to hotel service and/or propulsion.

AKK

I'm reading this thread as I leave on Fantasy on the 20th - so very interested in the issue.
I am a little dismayed by the greed and entitlement spewing from some of y'all.
Life happens - even to the most magical companies and people in this world. Perhaps Disney should create a storyline where the princess dies right before marrying her prince so y'all can get the full effect of bad things happening in life; or perhaps we experience these real issues in our daily lives and know the sadness and heartache real life has to offer.
We want Disney to be the 'never mess up company', 'happiest place on earth', etc. But what I can tell you... is if you take a photo of even the most perfect family in the world, under all the smiles, perfectly quaffed hair and perfectly set china in the dining room - there are issues. Life is not perfect, and holding Disney to the same standard is unfair.
Vacation should be more than Castaway Cay - it should be about relaxation, escape from normal life, enjoying ones company, etc; unwind for goodness sake.
I've been on a cruise where Castaway Cay was missed due to weather, while it wasn't fun, thats life. You accept it and move on - find something else to do with your time; I learned how to fold towels (not that i remember now or have attempted it at home) - I tried it.
Life is too darn busy - find a peace and a calm while on vacation - we only get so much time. Worry about things that matter, get mad about things that actually matter and forgive when people don't live up to your expectations; doesn't the world suck enough already?!

Hello Red,

I am going by the reports made, that she was doing 17 knots, which is very close to her full cruising speed. She was reported as slowing down near the last day as she had to wait for the other vessels/cruise ships going into PC. She may have slowed down as any time for whatever reasons.

As to the weather, with 4 engines operating on the return trip, weather would not have been a issue. They could have road around it or though it depending on conditions.

Whatever the rolling was, anytime you take a cruise, you have to expect the weather and sea conditions to effect the riding of the vessel. One engine down would not have made any difference. She had 4 other engines, all can be tied together to hotel service and/or propulsion.

AKK

AKK,

Again, just my opinion and maybe it was subliminal, I do not believe we were full speed anytime after the announcement was made. I am only basing this on my observations throughout the week. Especially when looking off the back of the ship from the Meridian deck. Propulsion was only coming out of one side of the ship.

The more I think about it, I want to say the bridge report was showing 7 or 8 knots. Hoping someon else can confirm.

AKK,

Again, just my opinion and maybe it was subliminal, I do not believe we were full speed anytime after the announcement was made. I am only basing this on my observations throughout the week. Especially when looking off the back of the ship from the Meridian deck. Propulsion was only coming out of one side of the ship.

The more I think about it, I want to say the bridge report was showing 7 or 8 knots. Hoping someon else can confirm.

OK..........other reports said other things. In fact I think, one post on this thread as well. I was not there. It really isn't a issue in any case.

As I said she may have been going faster and slower a needed.
AKK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter