Disney Dream 4/1/2016 (3-Night Cruise)

8 cabins so far signed up for Fish Extenders!!!!
Cabin 9156
Dad Craig
Mom Bethany
Son Daniel 6 ( dairy and gluten allergies sensitive to food dyes)
Daughter Joy 3 (same food allergies as Daniel)

Cabin 2028
Mom Liz
dd Riley 15

Cabin 8070
Mom Trae
DH Eli
DD Kyra 16
DD Jayka 8

No cabin # provided
DH Bill
Mom Ivy
DS Speedy ( nickname). It's his birthday

Mom Hilary
DH Dallas
DD 11 peanut and tree nut allergies

Jacqie and Russell

Valerie
David
DD Vivian 15 months

Grandma Christine
Papa Paul
Daughter Hope 7 ( dairy and gluten allergies. Sensitive to food dyes)

I would love to join FE for this cruise! ⛴

Room 9090
Lisa
Sam
DD- Octavia (6)
DD- Decima (3)

Thanks for organizing!!

OK....I will organize the Fish Extenders. Who's in?

How does it work? Well, we make a list of interested parties. Those groups hang a fish extender outside their door and people in the group will drop off gifts during the course of the cruise. Our FE list of participating cabins will contain info (age, gender) of occupants so people can gift accordingly if they choose.

If you don't mind replying to this post we can collect the list here.

9 cabins so far signed up for Fish Extenders!!!!

Cabin 9156
Dad Craig
Mom Bethany
Son Daniel 6 ( dairy and gluten allergies sensitive to food dyes)
Daughter Joy 3 (same food allergies as Daniel)

Room 9090
Lisa
Sam
DD- Octavia (6)
DD- Decima (3)

Cabin 2028
Mom Liz
dd Riley 15

Cabin 8070
Mom Trae
DH Eli
DD Kyra 16
DD Jayka 8

No cabin # provided
DH Bill
Mom Ivy
DS Speedy ( nickname). It's his birthday

Mom Hilary
DH Dallas
DD 11 peanut and tree nut allergies

Jacquie and Russell

Valerie
David
DD Vivian 15 months

Grandma Christine
Papa Paul
Daughter Hope 7 ( dairy and gluten allergies. Sensitive to food dyes)

Please also add (at my sister's request):

Room 9096
Wendy
Russell
DS-Aidan (13)
DD-Clara (10)

Thank you!

OK....I will organize the Fish Extenders. Who's in?

How does it work? Well, we make a list of interested parties. Those groups hang a fish extender outside their door and people in the group will drop off gifts during the course of the cruise. Our FE list of participating cabins will contain info (age, gender) of occupants so people can gift accordingly if they choose.

If you don't mind replying to this post we can collect the list here.

I'm so excited to see people signing up! Please add my other DD to our room, 9064, she is 9 and is my allergy kiddo. Thanks for managing this! :dumbo:

I'm so excited to see people signing up! Please add my other DD to our room, 9064, she is 9 and is my allergy kiddo. Thanks for managing this! :dumbo:
Hi Hilb80, I'm not in charge of FE (thanks rubber gypsy!) but I am personalizing things for the children and wondered if it would be OK to personalize for your children too? I don't see their names listed. Thanks!!

Hi Hilb80, I'm not in charge of FE (thanks rubber gypsy!) but I am personalizing things for the children and wondered if it would be OK to personalize for your children too? I don't see their names listed. Thanks!!
I'm not too good with this discussion board posting yet lol! I have 2 dds their names are Bryn (11y) and Lila (9y). Thanks for the reply!! This is sounding like we are going to have a blast!

Hi All! Have cruised several times before but this is our first Disney cruise. SO EXCITED!!! A Dream Come True on THE DREAM! :fish: Celebrating our 50th Anniversary and bringing our 4 adult children plus spouses plus 5 grandchildren. None of our grands have ever cruised at all before, and 2 son-in-laws have never cruised.

I am interested in participating in Fish Extenders, my husband and I will be in Stateroom 9094. Have a magical day! :yay:

50th Anniversary! That is such a big deal!!! Congratulations!!

Because this is my first Disney cruise, I was researching more information on fish extenders and found this blog below which brought up a few questions. My daughter, "Mymotherwasright," has done a spreadsheet that shows our current 10 cabins represent 33 people consisting of 19 adults, 3 boys and 11 girls. I understand we have a cut off date, but am wondering if Rubbergypsy thinks we should have a cap for our specific group. Mainly because I want to purchase a specific item now and don't want to have to purchase again if more join later. Is there a specific cutoff number before a new group starts? It could be very expensive if there was a large number of people in the group, right?

I'm sorry I failed to get the name of the person that originally posted this but here was her experience:
"The organizer will usually split the FE list into smaller groups of 10-25 cabins. This means you are responsible for giving a gift to each of those cabins in your group and they, in turn, will give you a gift. You can either give a single “cabin gift” which is a gift for everyone in the cabin to share, or if you prefer, you can give a gift to each person in the cabin. It’s totally up to you. Most people tend to spend about $5 per cabin, but a little more or less is fine. You only need to deliver gifts to a cabin once. You do not need to give them a gift for every day of the cruise--but you can if you choose to.

Do not give a gift that is too large physically or heavy because a lot of people fly home following the cruise and will not have room in their luggage for a big gift. Also, do not give out homemade baked goods as your FE gift. Most people will not eat it so don’t even bother. Any type of edible will need to be factory sealed for people to feel safe eating it.

Be sure to label the gifts you are giving out with your name. It doesn’t need to be anything fancy. Most often, people simply use plain white stickers and hand write something like this- To: The Whoever Family in cabin 2325 From: The Whoever family in cabin 6580. Happy Sailing! The first time we participated in the FE we did not label our gifts because I prefer to do things anonymously but after the cruise had ended, a lot of people commented on our private Facebook cruise page that they felt they had not received a gift from everyone in their group. As the organizer of the FE, I knew for sure that I hadn’t received something from everyone in my group.

Failing to give a gift to everyone in your group is against the rules. If you sign up to participate, you MUST give a gift to everyone in your group because they are giving YOU a gift. It is beyond rude, dirty, and trashy to pick and choose who you want to give gifts to. If that’s what you want to do, DO NOT sign up for the FE. Instead, just Pixie Dust which is giving gifts out randomly but not receiving any gifts. This unfortunate experience taught me to always label my gifts because I would never want anyone thinking I was one of the inconsiderate people who didn’t give a gift to everyone in my group.

Use a zip tie to securely attach your FE to the fish outside your door. Not all Disney cruisers are angels and there are many stories of FE’s being stolen. FE’s that are personalized with your name, however, usually do not get stolen.

For the organizer: Once you reach the cutoff date and all the spreadsheets have been declared “Closed and Final” you will need to announce the back-up plan you’ll be putting into place in case someone's cabin number changes on the first day of the cruise. The best way to handle this so that it does not disturb the first day of your vacation is to place something outside your cabin door (either a piece of paper or little notebook) so that if someone’s cabin number changes on sail day, they can stop by your door and write their new information. When I was the organizer, I stated that this should be done no later than 5pm on sail day and everyone else participating in the FE should stop by to see updated information any time after 5pm on sail day. Be sure to mention that no one should begin delivering gifts until they have had a chance to stop by and see updated information.

When sail day arrives and you board the ship, get to your cabin as soon as you can (usually cabins open at 1pm) and place your little notebook or piece of paper outside your door so people can write their updated information. I do not recommend a dry erase board because people accidentally rub into them as they walk by and the ink is easily removed."

Because this is my first Disney cruise, I was researching more information on fish extenders and found this blog below which brought up a few questions. My daughter, "Mymotherwasright," has done a spreadsheet that shows our current 10 cabins represent 33 people consisting of 19 adults, 3 boys and 11 girls. I understand we have a cut off date, but am wondering if Rubbergypsy thinks we should have a cap for our specific group. Mainly because I want to purchase a specific item now and don't want to have to purchase again if more join later. Is there a specific cutoff number before a new group starts? It could be very expensive if there was a large number of people in the group, right?

I'm sorry I failed to get the name of the person that originally posted this but here was her experience:
"The organizer will usually split the FE list into smaller groups of 10-25 cabins. This means you are responsible for giving a gift to each of those cabins in your group and they, in turn, will give you a gift. You can either give a single “cabin gift” which is a gift for everyone in the cabin to share, or if you prefer, you can give a gift to each person in the cabin. It’s totally up to you. Most people tend to spend about $5 per cabin, but a little more or less is fine. You only need to deliver gifts to a cabin once. You do not need to give them a gift for every day of the cruise--but you can if you choose to.

Do not give a gift that is too large physically or heavy because a lot of people fly home following the cruise and will not have room in their luggage for a big gift. Also, do not give out homemade baked goods as your FE gift. Most people will not eat it so don’t even bother. Any type of edible will need to be factory sealed for people to feel safe eating it.

Be sure to label the gifts you are giving out with your name. It doesn’t need to be anything fancy. Most often, people simply use plain white stickers and hand write something like this- To: The Whoever Family in cabin 2325 From: The Whoever family in cabin 6580. Happy Sailing! The first time we participated in the FE we did not label our gifts because I prefer to do things anonymously but after the cruise had ended, a lot of people commented on our private Facebook cruise page that they felt they had not received a gift from everyone in their group. As the organizer of the FE, I knew for sure that I hadn’t received something from everyone in my group.

Failing to give a gift to everyone in your group is against the rules. If you sign up to participate, you MUST give a gift to everyone in your group because they are giving YOU a gift. It is beyond rude, dirty, and trashy to pick and choose who you want to give gifts to. If that’s what you want to do, DO NOT sign up for the FE. Instead, just Pixie Dust which is giving gifts out randomly but not receiving any gifts. This unfortunate experience taught me to always label my gifts because I would never want anyone thinking I was one of the inconsiderate people who didn’t give a gift to everyone in my group. That particular group as quoted obviously set that up that way.

Use a zip tie to securely attach your FE to the fish outside your door. Not all Disney cruisers are angels and there are many stories of FE’s being stolen. FE’s that are personalized with your name, however, usually do not get stolen.

For the organizer: Once you reach the cutoff date and all the spreadsheets have been declared “Closed and Final” you will need to announce the back-up plan you’ll be putting into place in case someone's cabin number changes on the first day of the cruise. The best way to handle this so that it does not disturb the first day of your vacation is to place something outside your cabin door (either a piece of paper or little notebook) so that if someone’s cabin number changes on sail day, they can stop by your door and write their new information. When I was the organizer, I stated that this should be done no later than 5pm on sail day and everyone else participating in the FE should stop by to see updated information any time after 5pm on sail day. Be sure to mention that no one should begin delivering gifts until they have had a chance to stop by and see updated information.

When sail day arrives and you board the ship, get to your cabin as soon as you can (usually cabins open at 1pm) and place your little notebook or piece of paper outside your door so people can write their updated information. I do not recommend a dry erase board because people accidentally rub into them as they walk by and the ink is easily removed."
Cruisin Pupcake 10 cabins 33 people is correct so far although the question is are you providing a gift for everyone in the cabin or perhaps just one stateroom gift? i found on many other exchanges that most give one per stateroom or just for the children. Right now I feel that to close the extender group may be a bit premature. there may be a few latecomers. That being said if the group exceeds 12 cabins we can split the extender list into 2 groups. I will end the sign up for the extender group to February 15. After that it will be closed. I hope that helps for all to decide on what to purchase etc. I do not think we should have to follow the above rules. Please give a gift to each stateroom, I have never been in an exchange that every single person received a gift. That may be excessive for some.
i posted earlier in this thread the guidelines for the exchange. Perhaps on page 2. I will copy and paste it below.

FE explained:

Each DCL stateroom has a sea-creature shaped "plaque" on the wall alongside their stateroom door. On the plaque is a little hook. Originally, the plaques were all shaped like a fish, but now with 4 ships, there has been diversification. Some are seahorses, and I think there are starfish as well. (The F part of FE, though, has remained constant regardless of the actual shape of the hook plaque.)Officially, these are to aid the crew in leaving things for the people in that stateroom – excursion tickets, event notices, and the like.UNOFFICIALLY, these have been reimagined (if you will), by a group of cruisers, to add a little extra pixie dust, an extra level of fun, to their cruise. This original group of cruisers decided to exchange little gifts to each other's families. They decided to hang some sort of organizer/bag from the fish hooks, in which to collect said gifts, thereby 'extending' the functionality of the fish hooks, hence the term FE. In casual conversation, FE can refer to either the hanging bag/pocketed organizer, or to the gifts themselves. If you search online (i.e. google), you'll get lots of images of both FE bags/organizers, and gift ideas. Additionally, there are quite a number of threads here and on the disboards themselves, devoted to both aspects of the FE.Once you have a group of people cruising on the same itinerary, who've found each other in the same forum (usually here or on the disboards), someone will bring up the FE. Someone offers or is asked to coordinate a list, which includes the basic info (stateroom number, names of everyone in the cabin, kids' ages/genders) and can also include other info (if anyone's celebrating something, any allergies to alert others from giving any allergen-containing treat, favorite character if anyone wants to personalize what they give). Sometimes the coordinator handles everything, inputting all the data, etc.; other cruise groups make it each family’s responsibility to maintain their own information. The FE organizer pockets/bags can range from a simple tote bag, to a duct-tape creation, on up to customized, embroidered pockets, and can besimple and homespun or elaborate and ordered from a vendor online.The FE gifts are TOTALLY up to the givers. The only real rule is that anyone who is participates is expected to give as well as receive. There can be controversy over this, but to set guidelines as to what/when/how to give is to detract from the very nature of the FE. Some people can and will spend a lot of time, money, effort, skill, whatever, into what they give, but others can't, don't, won't, or whatever, for whatever reasons. FE gifts can be homemade, handmade, custom-printed or sewn or crafted, or can be things from your local discount retailer, ordered from a crafter or artist, or almost anything or anyplace conceivable.You can choose to give one gift per person, one gift per cabin, one gift to ALL the adults in a cabin and another to ALL the kids, one gift to all the girls and another to all the boys, one gift to all the little kids and a different gift to older kids, etc., etc. It's whatever you want to do.When to give is also completely up to the giver - the only real rule here is that if it's something that could be used for some particular event during the cruise, that it be given in time for that. An example is something for Pirate night (such as glow sticks or temporary tattoos, both of which we've given and received on different cruises) - those would preferably be distributed well before that night, so that when the people go to their cabin to get ready for Pirate night, they would have them and can then use them for the party.

Most (but not all) gifts are themed to cruising, Disney, Disney cruising, or are a symbol or souvenir of the giver's hometown.You have to remember that there are all kinds of reasons why people choose what they do - whether they have or lack time, skills, money, patience, desire, space in their luggage, or whatever. The only reason to participate in the FE is for the fun of it, not to outdo anyone else.

That being said it is totally up to the giver. The only steadfast rule is that each and every cabin should receive a gift. Cutoff will be 2/15
Once all the staterooms have been finalized there will be an list of who is to deliver on what day. If anyone is giving any specific gifts for a themed evening please request that day to pass out your gifts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter