Disney Cruise Line Announces Plans to Build Two New Ships

We just got back from our cruise aboard Disney Dream on the 28th of March and can confirm from several cast/crew members that they were told two new ships will be built. They all said smaller then Dream and Fantasty but larger then Magic and Wonder. Also said they will have the Aquaduck water coaster. They think one will be named the Disney Wish or Wishes and start sailing in 2015 or 2016 then second ship one year later. This appears to be true and expect official announcement soon.

I just want this to be true! Maybe the cost of cruising will stabilize? I would love to go to Asia, Europe and Hawaii.

She was named MS Stockholm when she accidentally sent the Andrea Doria to the bottom on a foggy night.

Also, the QE2 was 40 years old when she retired. Monarch of the Seas just left RCCL's fleet yesterday after 22 years and will serve plenty more for RCI's smaller lines. She's headed to Freeport for some TLC and will serve as Monarch for Pullmantur Cruises. 20 years is nothing for a well maintained cruise ship.

All correct!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

she doesn't look much like she did, but the same vessel.

As to what caused the collision, most maritime investigations now say that both vessels were in error.

AKK

AKK

We just got back from our cruise aboard Disney Dream on the 28th of March and can confirm from several cast/crew members that they were told two new ships will be built. They all said smaller then Dream and Fantasty but larger then Magic and Wonder. Also said they will have the Aquaduck water coaster. They think one will be named the Disney Wish or Wishes and start sailing in 2015 or 2016 then second ship one year later. This appears to be true and expect official announcement soon.

While I agree there will be 2 more vessels, both in the 100,000 ton range, I think its a bit to late for 2015 sailings..........At the earliest , in MHO, would be 2016, more likely 2017.

AKK

Tonka's Skipper said:
While I agree there will be 2 more vessels, both in the 100,000 ton range, I think its a bit to late for 2015 sailings..........At the earliest , in MHO, would be 2016, more likely 2017.

AKK

With Disney's previous contract clause with MW for two additional ships - where would that put them in the building queue?

With Disney's previous contract clause with MW for two additional ships - where would that put them in the building queue?

I have no info on the MW schedule. The contract is for vessels the same or similar to the Dream class.

They could work with another yard or maybe working with MW on another type of vessel, like 100,00o tons which I believe they will as that size has the best of the classic feel and the space for the dream class techno.

Just MHO.

AKK

Regardless in peak season they don't have enough ships to cover everywhere I am sure they would like to be. Given how the NY cruises sold I am sure they would love to get one back in there but that would mean not sending a ship to the Med. or Alaska, both of which also sell well.

Somewhat surprised they didn't try leaving on in NY over the fall/winter/spring season instead of dropping all 4 ships into FL. Yes the weather can suck but you can still do the FL/Bahamas run and make it work. Then again the 3/4 night stuff just doesn't appeal to me.

There after other factors besides sales percentages; port and labor contracts come to mind.

Alright, so this WAS in fact an april fools day joke. :joker:

However! Lets make this fun an discuss the things we would like to see in a newbuild...
pirate:

Have you confirmed it was a joke? We spoke with many different crew members on the Disney Dream and they had a meeting where they announced the building of two new ships for 2015 and 2016 or somewhere around those years and said one was being names the Disney Wish or Disney Wishes. Maybe it was supposed to be an internal April Fools Joke but not really sure. I guess we will see what happens :)

From the day we first sailed on a Disney ship I knew DCL was eventually gonna be huge. A 'cruise vacation' was never even on our radar until we found out that Disney had a cruise ship. 47 million people visit WDW evey year. If only 1 percent of those wanted to cruise on Disney, that would fill 2cruise ships (assuing 2,500 people per cruise and 91 cruises per year) per year. Factor in people who have sailed 10+ times on DCL.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter