• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Cruise DREAM January, 31, 2013

Just booked this Cruise and would love to be on the FE list to share with you all. We are in room 6098, and have 2 kids: DS-8 and DD-6. Thanks all!!!! We are excited!!!!

Glad to have you joining us. I added you to the FE list.

I realized I didn't give you our cabin number :blush: It's 10114.

I let Keith know.

Thanks!

Keith,

Here is some Pixie Dust to help get you're room number.

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

Ours showed up online right away when we checked our reservation info on the DCL site.
If you have a GTY room they often don't show up until around 14 days before the cruise.:(

Kathy

Hi all! Just booked our very 1st cruise few days ago! So very excited, only a few more weeks!!! Just DH & myself for this trip. Any thoughts on excursions in Nassua or site seeing while there?

Hi all! Just booked our very 1st cruise few days ago! So very excited, only a few more weeks!!! Just DH & myself for this trip. Any thoughts on excursions in Nassua or site seeing while there?

:wave2: Welcome

I've sailed 3 times with Disney and have only done one organized excursion. I have seen most of the sights on my own with the exception of Atlantis. I went to the Queen's Staircase, the forts, Ardastra Gardens, the beach, Senor Frog, McDonald's, Straw Market, other stores, horse pulled carriage, etc. either walking or by cab. We did boat ride once and not very impressed.

I suggest you look at the map of Nassau and plot your way around the island should you choose to go sight seeing on your own. We walked to the Staircase, forts and Ardastra. None of these sites are worth the money charged by the tours. It's a good walk to Ardastra but my kids who were 15 and 11 enjoyed it. We returned in a cab.

I am trying to decide between Atlantis or just exploring the ship as this is my first time on the Dream.

As first time cruisers, may I suggest in wristbands for sea sickness. My oldest son got very ill and refuses to sail again after his first and only cruise. The rest of us did fairly well but I always wear my band the first day or so. My husband was never affected.

So excited party:party:

Added Florida Dad and ab2008. I'm still waiting on my cabin number. :badpc:

Rivera Family - Marcos (DH), Maria DW, Romina (DD10), cabin 9011
Rivera Family - Ileana (DGrandma), Leylane (Niece 14), cabin 9009
DeborahNaish  Deborah (DW), Howard (DH), Issac (DS 9), cabin 12010
TN1  Keith (DH), Beth (DW), Allen (DS 5, Peanut Allergy), cabin GTY
phred84044  Trent (DH) and Tracy (DW), cabin 7624
momx4,grandmax4 - Kathy (DW) and Greg (DH), cabin 10108
Donald1403  Don (DH) and Gail (DW), cabin 10000
BibiSmart  Rebecca (DW), Hector (DH), Savannah (DD 16), Jahred (DS 13), cabin 6620
RedskinFan - Jane (DW), Jeff (DH), Hunter (DS 6), and Hannah (DD 4), cabin 5546
Florida Dad  DH, DW, DS-8 and DD-6, cabin 6098
Ab 2008 - Amanda (DW), Dave (DH), Tegan (DD 10) and Bryce (DS 8), cabin 10114

The cutoff date to be added to the FE list is January 15th in order to give people a couple of weeks to finish their gifts.

Thank you Keith for organizing the FE.
I was worried that no one else was sailing on this ship.
Getting excited as the date draws nearer.
Now, I just have to start working on my FE.
:banana:

WELCOME!!!

Do you want to join the FE? It's a fun event that many like to do. Basically you deliver an inexpensive gift to everyones cabin thats doing this andin return they will give you a gift sometime during the cruise too.

It can be home made or bought. There is either a metal note holder by your cabin door that looks like a fish or seahorse where you han a Fish extender for them to put the gifts in. You can make a FE even if you don't sew.

I can give you a link to simple instructions to do this. Then most decorate them with a Disney theme. Or go to the store and buy a small Disney themed shopping bag to hang up. That will work too if you dont have time to make a FE.

I think we have about 10 or 11 families participating so far. You need to decide before Jan 15th because that is the cut off date. Just post here if you want to do this and Keith will add you to the list. He will need your room number.:thumbsup2

Also we are having a meet the first day to get to meet face to face. Hope you will stop by and say hello, Its fun to see everyone then you often spot each other around the ship and say hello.:goodvibes

Its at 3:00 P.M. the first day in the Vista Cafe which is deck 4 midship, Its right above the atrium where you board the ship, really easy to find. Stay as little or as long as you like. By 4:00 they have the safety drill so we have to break up before then.

Nassau has a great Pirate museum just 10 minutes from the ship. You cant miss the straw market, its on the main road and is a white tent for shopping. If you go through it ot the back the Pirate museum is 2 blocks behind it and is alarge purple building. Allow about an hour to do this if you read about everything and bring your camera and take your photos near the exit in the stocks. makes a good souvenir. I am not into aquariums but the one at Atlantis is very good. Some of it is even outside. The tour rushes quickly but if you leave your wrist band on you can go back through at your own pace and really enjoy it. Windows are pretty much floor to ceiling for good viewing. Its easy to get a cab right at the port to take you there. Just set a price before you get in the cab!

I liked the carriage ride too. Most of the Carriages are old and run down a bit but it was something we have never done before. They do narraiae the ride. But due to traffic it is hard to hear the driver. They charge according ot the length of the ride. It was kind of spendy but we found out that if we did it about an hour to 90 minutes before having to get on the ship you can dicker the price or walk by like your kind of interested and when you ask the price most will say how far do you want to do instead of giving a price. So my husband reached in his pocket and pulled out $20 or $25 and said this is what i have left will it get us a ride some where? Usually they are anxious to get all they can at the end of the day and gave us a 25 minute ride around the town which was great/ Just fun to do something we have never done before.

The glass bottom boat was not good. They had rough seas and all the fish were gone. I think we saw 2 or 3 little ones. The boat was old and filthy. Stairs going down were steep and kids and older people had a terrible time going up and down them. I think another company has a newer boat now besides the old one we did.

We did the historical tour one time and we did like it. Just tolook at Queen Annes stairdase and walk up it would of been boring if I hadnt learned the story behond the meaning of it from our tour guide. Plus the 2 forts. Not much left of one of them but it was so old I didnt expect much anyway. I enjoyed it but we like learning the history of the places we go and many find that boring.

Havnt done Ardastra Gardens, we got rained out when we had it booked. I have heard the Marching Flamingos are fun to see but the zoo part is old and run down. Animals are in tiny cages so its depressing to see them that way. But i havnt seen for myself.

Lots of stores just one block over from the road that runs along the port if you like to browse and shop. You can get some great deals. If you fo to the Straw Market or any open air market they will dicker the prices, how ever they are so cheap anyway I dont see the point in it. It is their culture. I you buy clothes there, check all the seams and buttons. We have got some good things but also decided not to buy some due ot open seams and such. Don't let them rush you, look it over good first. Some of the wooden objects are beautiful and reasonable in price. My china closet has alot of wooden carved items from Nassau and they have lasted for many years.

Even if you dont do any tours at least get off the ship so you can say you have set foot there. Whats the point (if you have never been) in paying to go some where and not even go see some of the culture. Right at the port a few buildings are run down but once you get ot the main street or the street behind it is not that bad. The shopping advisor on board can also give you directions otmany places and there will be a shopping map in your Navigator they will leave in your room late the first night to help you. Hope that helps some.

My name is Kathy and DH is Greg.
What are your names??

Kathy

Question of the Day ................

How many cruises have you been on?
DCL?
Other?

My answer :
This is our very first cruise, Disney or otherwise :yay: and I am beyond excited about it.

Great question Amanda,

We have done 22 DCL cruises, this will be #23 and #24 is booked for next November.
We also have done one Carnival cruise on the Glory.

Kathy

Heading out to spend some time at Epcot today.

Will post again after we get home later today,

Have a great day everyone,

Kathy

This will be our 4th cruise on DCL with another one booked in November for the whole family with family and friends.

We have been on the Carnival Elation two times; the first being before our first DCL cruise. The 2nd Carnival cruise was after being on DCL twice and DCL has spoiled us as we really didn't even enjoy the 2nd Carnival cruise.

DCL?
Other?

This will be our first Disney cruise but my 7th cruise. DH and DS will be on their 3rd cruise and DD will be on her 2nd cruise.

DH actually finished packing for our vacation last night! The kids have started packing too but I will have to finish for them.

The kids and I are hitting the library today so I can get Disney books and then going to the craft store to find stuff to make our FE and FE gifts. For Pirate night I am just going to have the kids wear brown pants and a white tshirt so will try to find brown pants at a thrift store so I can cut them up to look ragged.

DCL?
Other?

My answer :
This is our very first cruise, Disney or otherwise :yay: and I am beyond excited about it.

hi all we have completed 39 Disney, 19 other live in central FL
love the life DON & GAIL

If you LOVE Fresh Conch Salad, then you need to go "under the bridge" between the port & Atlantis. They literally pull the conch from the sea & prepare it in front of you.pixiedust:
My DH Jay ALWAYS gets off the ship for this. :ccat:
You can take a water taxi right at the port or a cab. If you go on the water taxi I think you can buy a round trip ticket - not 100% sure of that :confused3 The driver of the water taxi will be your "tour guide" also. They are very informative & entertaining :mic:

Another area for great Bahamian Food is called "Fish Fry". There are many little "shack" type restaurants & a nice restaurant called "Twin Brothers"...absolutely delish & not expensive :woohoo:

You can always check at the library or online for more ideas of what you'd like to see/do at Nassau :cool2: :yay:

princess: Leah

This is our 1st DCL Cruise :dancer: party: :rockband:

Between my DH & myself we've been on approximately:
4 Carnival Cruises :joker:
1 Princess Cruise princess:
2 Celebrity Cruises :wizard:
13 RC Cruises...we are Diamond Members& love the perks pixiedust:

We have a "free" RC Liberty of the Seas 4 Night Cruise on 12/26/13. Love redeeming my RC Points :thumbsup2: :sail: :beach:

Leah

Since I don't see a question for the day today I will do another one:
If you have been to WDW which is your favorite park and your favorite ride?
Kathy

I don't really know if I have a favorite park, but I did love the "Haunted Mansion" Ride :thumbsup2

I'm more of a thrill-seeker for rides...favorite is "Top Thrill Dragster" at Cedar Point :car: :scared1:

My favorite place to stay is Animal Kingdom Lodge. Loved waking up & seeing all the animals right outside my balcony :wave2:

Question of the day?

Are there Trivia Games onboard the ship?
If so, who loves to play trivia? :teacher:

My DH & I do...he is especially good at Classic Rock :rockband: :cheer2:

PS 2nd Question:

What is your favorite color? You can find mine in my name :wave2:

Greetings Friends!! My sisters and I will be sailing on the January 31 ; 3 day Dream and we are super excited!

We are Tara 34 ; Tracy 45 ; Donna 50 and we're all looking forward to sailing away from life for a few days. Would love to do the meet and greet at 3, you guys sound like a hoot!

We're all Disney fans and Tracy and I (Tara) have been on Disney cruises before, this will be Donna's first!

Everyone have a great weekend! See ya at Sea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter