• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Discuss what Disney is doing wrong part II

to dawgsgirl:

"My other complaint would be calling Disney. They can sure mess up things and most of the poor underpaid and untrained CM's just don't have a clue."

Speaking as a trainer and one of the "poor underpaid and untrained" CMs I have to say that you are generalizing and insulting a very large group of people. These cast members are definitely not untrained and the pay isn't really that bad (though not great either).

I am sorry that you had problems in the past but you certainly don't need to go putting specific groups down as "most" of my co-workers do their jobs very well.

Granted I am in DL not WDW, but I am sure our training is very similar.

Not trying to start a debate here but there really is no call for putting particular groups of people down like that, we do have feelings too ya know!

Well I have to say that I love the after hour partys that you have to pay additional for. I went in November for my Birthday and I didn't mind paying the extra money it was the best evening that I spend at MK. I'm leaving in 29 days heading back to the world and I just got my tickets for the Halloween Party!!! I'm sorry that some people have a problem with the price but it really feels like a private party!! :cloud9:

An 800 number would be a disaster. You would have thousands and thousands of calls every day from children wanting to talk to Mickey Mouse. Think about it.

Also, don't most people have cell phone plans now a days that include minutes to use...or free use on nights/weekends? And how much could a 30 minute call cost anyway? Like $3.00?

jmho

edit to add - Kudos to Ltl Mermaid for sticking up for her CMs. I too don't like when people complain about a whole group when it could be just a few uncaring/unwilling/unhelpful people.

Well I think you guys in the US should be grateful that you don't have to call internationally - it costs a heck of a lot of money for me to spend 45 minutes on the phone trying to get 14 days' worth of TS'. But the cost of the phone call really doesn't bother me - I love speaking to the CMs who, most of the time, have a good chat with me about what's going on in Disney and what our favourite things to do are :)

My only complaint of sorts, is the reduction in the showings of Fantasmic. It's my favourite Disney show and it's on 3 times in the two weeks I am there. I am really worried that I might not be able to get in unless I queue for 2 hours before, which is just not feasible for my us :sad2:

The first thread was closed because the OP of #1 had made a request that it not become a debate thread and of course thats what was happening, and after asking several times that people stop some of the posters started telling her that even though she started the thread, she didn't have any right to make rules (simple though they were, just goes to show people are a lot braver in doing what ever they want when they aren't face to face). So instead of creating their own thread they choose to crash hers. So she asked the mods to close it.

I'm one of the people she singled out. And there was NO debate going on, but for some reason beyond the sea of stroller debate, our little fact sharing about perks, took presidence. Also FYI, I'd act the same way face to face. I'm 39 years old, I'm too old to care what people think or say about me.

But I digress,
I still think one major problem is there is too many dining options. The problem we're facing right now is proof of it. Either have the regular dining plans or the free dining. Both is just flooding the system..

Well I have to say that I love the after hour partys that you have to pay additional for. I went in November for my Birthday and I didn't mind paying the extra money it was the best evening that I spend at MK. I'm leaving in 29 days heading back to the world and I just got my tickets for the Halloween Party!!! I'm sorry that some people have a problem with the price but it really feels like a private party!! :cloud9:

The afterhours party are also a big downer for me too. When WDW frst started them there would only be a couple a week, so we could easily plan around them for a late night at the MK. Now its impossible. I wouldn't even think of going to the MK on a non party night because it would be so darn crowded.

Plus the price is ridiculous. The prices for the hard events have not just gone up a few dollars but have skyrocketed since we first attended a MNSSHP 7 years ago. So not only does it cost almost 900.00 for a 7 day base ticket for my family of 4, but then its an extra $200.00 for the Christmas party. :eek: Plus WDW must be selling more tickets. When we first attended 7 years ago I never remember the MK being as crowded as when we attended last year.

I agree about the food quality and selection. We are foregoing the DDP this trip and doing more CS.

No one will ever go to that restaurant, its too crowded.

While some complain of price increases it does seem that more than enough are willing to pay.

I do notice a trend.

We are DVC members and go every year, sometimes twice. Price increases, less shows, more expensive not as great food, lousy selection for purchases....we still go every year. I don't really fuss about the things that would otherwise bother me because I am in Disney. And because those of us who do go often and plan long and hard are still doing that, Disney is not worried about the changes. Something in the water making us want to go back over and over. If the Disney magic bites you, many things can be overlooked I think. They will always be able to make these kinds of changes as long as the market allows it and the market just allows it at Disney. All of these discounts and perks are to get people there who wouldn't otherwise go so they can spend money at Disney in other revenue areas.

That's us totally. I've noticed all of the things. It's funny to me, though when you say you notice it here, people very often accuse you of being "negative" or tell you "you make your own magic". I've just never understood how accepting less for more was a good thing? :confused3

Fantasmic is a great example. I just returned from 10 nights and fantasmic was only showing 3 nights which meant the already outrageous lines were obscene. One night the line was from the arena all the way down to the villians store :scared1: We also went to the beauty and the beast show, no pre show and no fans blowing. so you sat there in the heat, simply looking at the stage.

Now these were not enough to ruin my trip but I do remember how enjoyable it was to sit there and listen to the acapella group 4 for a dollar.

little things that use to seperate Disney from all others are disappearing, which is making it a little bit better than 6 flags but not by much.

Just my opinion.

I would love for the Disney resorts to provide a television channel for classic Disney cartoon shorts..... Donald Duck, Goofy, Chip & Dale, Mickey. There are so many that we haven't seen since childhood.

Obviously the goal of any vacation is not to spend all your time in your room. But whether it's during bad weather or at the end of a long day in the parks, it would be great to be able to kick back in your room and watch the classics.

:happytv:

I can't get over the closing of Pleasure Island. And I don't like the dining plan, which is here to stay.

Well, I would like to see a character meal geared for boys. Not just the fab fice, but like Woody, Buzz, ect..

I can't get over the closing of Pleasure Island. And I don't like the dining plan, which is here to stay.

What?! Pleasure Island is closed?! :scared1: I've never been there (always had small kids in tow) but I'm still stunned. I had no idea and I always thought it was so popular. :confused3

Pleasure Island's clubs closed permanently September 27, 2008. For now, the buildings still stand. Some are currently rented out for private parties.

I would also like to see character dining geared towards boys. I have a DD and DS, so I do enjoy the princesses but would love to see a 'Hero's Dining Adventure' - Buzz, Hercules, Peter Pan, Robin Hood, Aladdin, etc.

I really loved the old Aladdin breakfast at MGM - the music, theming and character interaction was fabulous!

I would like to see the parks close for an hour to clear the crowds before a MNSSHP, MVMCP, etc night. It would also allow for more decor and effects specific only to the party.

I'm glad to see this subject back. I think that mods only close threads that are reopened for the purpose of arguing. I saw no arguing on the original thread.

I already stated that the restaurants are for the most part mediocre and overly expensive in my opinion. There are some good one of course but way too many just aren't all that.

Some people mentioned that they must do doing fine since they are crowded. Between free dining and having a relatively captive audience, I don't think that's a surprise.

I posted on the now closed thread, but I don't mind posting here too!;)

My biggest complaint is the lack of resort specific merchandise. I would love to have something from each Disney resort I have stayed at, with that resort's name on it. It is impossible to do. You can't even find a mug anymore with a resort logo on it. I know that Disney has lost a lot of my money by not having merchandise that I could look at and go "I remember my stay at the Sports. That was a great trip!" Generic stuff is just not as neat to have.

It also really bugs me that Disney has so many policies that it can't bother trying to enforce. Heelies are supposedly not allowed, but you see plenty of kids on them in the parks. People walk all over smoking instead of sticking to the smoking areas. And during my trip in July I saw a few people pulling rolling suitcases thru the parks!:sad2:Why bother to have rules if your CM can not be bothered/are not allowed to enforce them?

I would love for the Disney resorts to provide a television channel for classic Disney cartoon shorts..... Donald Duck, Goofy, Chip & Dale, Mickey. There are so many that we haven't seen since childhood.

Obviously the goal of any vacation is not to spend all your time in your room. But whether it's during bad weather or at the end of a long day in the parks, it would be great to be able to kick back in your room and watch the classics.

:happytv:

I think that's a great idea. I would love to see some of the classics too & I think the kids would enjoy seeing where it all started.

These are the two things that really get me as well. I understand if PI wasn't pulling in enough money, something should change, but scrapping the entire place seems like such an overreaction.

And I understand the reasoning financially behind the DDP, but I still hate it. I haven't had a decent dessert at a WDW restaurant since the introduction of it, because when you have so many people ordering dessert, quality just plummets. I at least wish that they would start opening more TS restaurants in the parks to handle the demand.

I also am not sure this is something they are doing wrong, but I wish they had some kind of ticket or benefit crossover with the other parks. As in, I wish I could get some kind of discount somewhere in WDW for being a DLP AP holder.

I was there just a couple of years ago and it sounds like a lot of things have changed. I can't believe they don't have resort-specific mugs anymore. When we got them several years ago at POR, I even thought part of the point was so we'd only be able to get refills at our own resort?? And in looking at the prices of the parties then compared to now makes me come close to fainting! :eek:

Even the increase in cost of the strollers is taking me by surprise. Our youngest is now 4, so we weren't planning on bringing a stroller. I was thinking that if his little legs got TOO tired, we'd just rent a stroller. Now I'm even rethinking that.

It's good to know all of this BEFORE we go, though, instead of finding out when we get there. I'm glad this thread reopened. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter