Discover Apple Pay 10% Back - In Store Purchase

J.Casto79

Mouseketeer
Discover announced that they will be part of Apple Pay starting September 16th. Through the end of the year they are giving an additional 10% cash back for using Apple Pay in stores.

Does anyone know of any store that sells Target gift cards that accepts Apple Pay? I believe Toys R Us sells Disney Gift Cards, so that could be at least a 10% savings, but it would be better if we could purchase a Target gift card and use it to purchase the Disney Gift Cards.

Here's a link to current and future store's that accept Apple Pay, might be worth checking this over the next few months for any updates.

http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/where-to-use-apple-pay/

At the bottom of that web-page there's also a list of store apps where you can use Apple Pay.

Target is in that list so is it possible to buy Target gift cards in store at 10% off with your Discover card then go online and buy Disney cards with the Target cards and check out with the Red Card?

Walt Disney World is in the current list along with Toy-R-Us.

Last edited:
I use Apple Pay at Target all the time. Really anywhere that accepts NFC payments can accept Apple Pay, although a lot of stores don't realize it.

Do you know if you have to sign up to receive the 10% from discover like their other 5% bonus savings? Or is it an automatic 10%?

Interesting... However my question is it capped like 5% back rewards? Also would it in turn affect your cash back cap on other purchases?

ETA: ok with a little search I found that it appears the cap is $10K!! Wow that is impressive and supposedly it is an addition to your regular rewards (1-5%) Also it is rumored it will be included in the double cash back rewards for new card members. Seriously that seems to be an awesome deal!

Last edited:
For the technologically challenged - how do I do this? Is it an app I need to download?

Sorry to be so dumb :)

Isn't Apple Pay accepted everywhere in WDW? I mean, at least at all the places that take credit cards? This would be a great thing for people who don't want to use gift cards or are too close to their trip to get them from the Target deal.

This would be an interesting way to pay for tickets and ticket upgrades! Wow, another 10% off a DVC AP, TIW card, parking, dining...the list is long!

Do you know if you have to sign up to receive the 10% from discover like their other 5% bonus savings? Or is it an automatic 10%?
My understanding is that once you add the discover card to Apple pay it is automatic when you use Apple pay to pay for a purchase.

For the technologically challenged - how do I do this? Is it an app I need to download?

Sorry to be so dumb :)
It's built into the iPhone 6 / 6+ and the new 6s / 6s+. If you have an older iPhone, you can also do it with an apple watch.

On the 16th you need to update to iOS 9, the new operating system and then go to settings and it is under passbook and Apple pay. You just have to add the card then you hold up your phone next to a nfc payment terminal and use your thumbprint to verify you are you to pay.

Here is a link to instructions. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201239

I don't know if this will work on not, but if you sign up for a new card between now and the end of the month they have an annual double bonus where at the end of the year Discover will an additional cash back equal to what you earned during the year.

Isn't Apple Pay accepted everywhere in WDW? I mean, at least at all the places that take credit cards? This would be a great thing for people who don't want to use gift cards or are too close to their trip to get them from the Target deal.

This would be an interesting way to pay for tickets and ticket upgrades! Wow, another 10% off a DVC AP, TIW card, parking, dining...the list is long!
Can you use Apple Pay at the Disney hotels for room charges?

I need a step by step;) so if I have an iPhone 6 I have apple pay, but I need to connect my card to it. Once that happens, I just wave my phone in front of the machine instead of swiping my card? And thumbprint acts as security?

I need a step by step;) so if I have an iPhone 6 I have apple pay, but I need to connect my card to it. Once that happens, I just wave my phone in front of the machine instead of swiping my card? And thumbprint acts as security?

That's actually pretty much it. You will have to wait until the 16th to update to iOS 9 before adding the discover card.

It's accepted many places, but right now Walmart and Target have their NFC (near field communications) disabled which is what it runs on. If you look at the first reply, theres a link with a list of Apple pay partners.

I don't know if this will work on not, but if you sign up for a new card between now and the end of the month they have an annual double bonus where at the end of the year Discover will an additional cash back equal to what you earned during the year.

Yes, it works out to 23% cash back (not counting the 5% rotating categories). Huge! No brainer for me.

I just asked on Twitter and was told no to in-app purchases. 10% is for in-store purchases only. Let confusion reign.

If you got that written I'd say that would trump my verbal answer I received. The lady on the phone had to put me on hold to ask as it was so new to them. We're probably going to get some conflicting information until they get it all figured out.

For anyone following, based on the response via Twitter, it looks to be in stores only.

Just a word of caution, don't count on it stacking with the quarterly bonus categories (though it might) and I'd be cautious also using it at unofficial Apple pay locations where they're not an official partner but it happens to work anyway. It could work, but before spending money know that it might not,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter