Disboutiquers Part 10 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning friends,

Yes, we are making the big jump! I am now officially sick. Little guy shared his cold and I now feel like well...swear word. So I am not going to work on my hats today.

However could someone please point to a good site that explains tension and how it correspondes to fabric thickness and density? I got the big loops on the bottom and adjusted the tension by just experimenting but wanted to know if there is guide? Also, my thread keeps getting worn thin in the needle. Why? I read that fleece is very hard and I should get a bigger needle and change it often. Will that help?

Thanks, back to bed.

The big loops on the back sound more like what has happened to me when the machine is threaded wrong or the needle isn't in just right. Although the thread getting worn in the needle sound like the tension is too tight, but that could also be a threading problem. The first thing I would try if I were you is checking your needle and completely rethreading both the top thread and the bobbin.

I can never remember about the tension adjustments and I always have to refer to my sewing machine manual.

Here is a close-up of the very raw edge applique that I put on some long sleeve black t-shirts for my sister's and I last year.

carvingpumpkinsandRileysb-day001.jpg

We always say we are going to take pictures, but we never do!

We get to Wal-mart about 4:00 am and we can put the things from the ad in our cart and have them. At 5:00 we all stake out our assigned "doorbuster" and grab what we need.

We go to Starbucks and get a really fattening coffee!

We make it to Target in time to be waiting for the doors to open at 6:00!

After that it's pretty much running everywhere. We stop for lunch and then see a movie. It usually ends up being an 18 hour day and we love it! This year all 3 of my sisters are coming and I am really looking forward to it, even though I really shouldn't be buying much w/ a trip planned 2 weeks after Christmas:laughing:

That's a cute shirt! Sounds like you have lots of fun on BF.

I'm here!

All of the black Friday talk sounds like fun. I wish I had someone to do it with me! My Mom would hate it and my sister is in Chicago (while I'm in Dallas) so that won't work either! I don't think any of my friends here are into it either. I'm really the only cheap one in the bunch! But I have gotten them to CVS shop so I'm making some headway!

I've had good luck working with my daughter to come up with acceptable words. Like she was saying "Oh my God" and I said that isn't okay, so you can say, "Oh my Gosh". And she said "daXXit" and I said that isn't okay, so she came up with "Oh pickles" like Twinkle from Higgly Town Heroes says. That's seemed to work well, since she says things that are okay AND she cracks herself up when she says them. :thumbsup2

Zoe does say "oh pickles" and "dang flabbit". I'm OK with those so maybe I'll try some positive reinforcement when she uses one of those or a similar alternative expression.

But I had to admit year before last-it is just too dangerous to go out on BF here. It just was not worth it. They have police guarding the doors so no one cuts in line. I actually saw an officer have to pull his weapon to stop a line cutter:confused3 That is crazy. SO now I do what I can online and spend the day with Morgan. :cool1:

:scared1: I can't even imagine being so caught up in the shopping frenzy to not heed a warning from someone armed!!! I have a feeling BF will be a bit more low key this year with the economy as it is. However, there will still be the fools who think their desire to score a deal is more important than other people's. :confused3

I'm always confused when I hear people say they couldn't find the new thread. I always put a link to it on the last page of the old thread, I would think that if you just followed the links you would get to the new thread? :confused3

Does anyone have suggestions on how to make it easier? I have been planning on updating any of the old threads that I can with the links to all the new threads, but I'm not sure that would help.
I kinda confuses me too. But, I guess it depends on if the person is using their subscription or is just looking on the family board to find our thread. I think some people don't really use their user control panel they just scan the board to find the thread. Since it is usually near the the top of the board people get used to just clicking on it there. So when it's not at the top they think they've lost us. Well that's just my thought on the issue, I really don't have any suggestions on how to fix it, I think the bold letters and links that are provided should be sufficient.

Morgan really likes the "double" spinnys now- so here are some pics from our weekend.

marymorgananddanielle.jpg

and

jasmineandmorgan.jpg

The characters all LOVED Danielle in the matching outfit.

Morgan looks so Cute and Happy!!! It must have been a little chilly, I've never seen Jasmine in that robe thingy before. You are both so lucky to be able to just go and spend the weekend at WDW whenever you want!! :cloud9:

I made it!

Its been years since I have been able to get out on BF. For some reason Thanksgiving and the week following have become vacation season for us.
So, we are usually away from home.
Last year we were in a cabin in FW, and this year we will be on a plane.
I wonder if the airport shops will have any great deals ;)

I am finally starting to put all the clothes we are taking in one place in prep for packing and I can't find one of the shirts I decorated for DD. Its the one I sewed all the mickey head buttons on. I know it was will all my other shirts, but now its not. Bah! Hubby is great at looking for things so I am going to put him on the case tonight.
Now for my big Oops... I haven't told DS pre-K teacher about our trip yet :scared1: . I am going to take him today instead of hubby taking him, so I can talk to her and make sure all is well. Its a small program, run out of a local church and is really low key, so I am hoping all will be ok.

To any of you in Florida....I have just started to check the weather... it looks nice, but I would love a first hand report :) whatcha think? Short sleeves? capri pants? or the longer version of each?

Anyone ever take projects with you on trips? I am thinking of taking some Knifty knitting projects (ie. Christmas gifts). I think I will have some quite time on the cruise and ont he plane? Or am I kidding myself?

Subscribing! :) I have been making Violette's Xmas outfit for her santa/holiday pics. It's coming out really cute! I'm so excited! It's my 1st patchwork twirl. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Carla's instructions are awesome! I've got the skirt made, now I've gotta make the bodice and do some applique's. Can't wait to get it done!

We've had temps down in the 30's over the last few evenings but I think the cold front is leaving. It has been chilly during the day unless you are directly in the sun. Yesterday at around 10 it was only 48 degrees. I would definitely pack in layers. We have been having "colder than normal" temps.

I made the move. I'll try to be around more. I have been having a tough time between sick and tired and depressed and it has put me behind in school work and I am really feeling like I can NOT do this (finish my degree) I know how much it will let everyone down but I seriously have NO concentration. It's been since the start of the semester. I have GREAT intentions but I sit down to the work and feel completely overwhelmed and ADD ish. UGH. I sometimes have the same trouble w/ sewing, even though I enjoy it. :confused3 I am going to talk to my OB about it next week at my appt.

I have never gone out on Black Friday. If I had friends or sisters like Denise it would probably be fun but I think we are going to see what kind of sales are out this year. I think Joann's is NOT having $.99 flannel it's gonna be $1.49 or something BUMMER but I'm gonna need to stock up for diaper sewing. Luckily our JA's is in the same shopping center so DH can check out Target while I go to JA's. We try to stay out of Walmart but if they have what I'm looking for we may need to make a trip their first thing.???

Well, I have 2 article summaries for Psych and an essay for tomorrows Am. Govt. class that I have GOT to work on. UGH, I wish I could concentrate.
..t.

I made it!

Its been years since I have been able to get out on BF. For some reason Thanksgiving and the week following have become vacation season for us.
So, we are usually away from home.
Last year we were in a cabin in FW, and this year we will be on a plane.
I wonder if the airport shops will have any great deals ;)

I am finally starting to put all the clothes we are taking in one place in prep for packing and I can't find one of the shirts I decorated for DD. Its the one I sewed all the mickey head buttons on. I know it was will all my other shirts, but now its not. Bah! Hubby is great at looking for things so I am going to put him on the case tonight.
Now for my big Oops... I haven't told DS pre-K teacher about our trip yet :scared1: . I am going to take him today instead of hubby taking him, so I can talk to her and make sure all is well. Its a small program, run out of a local church and is really low key, so I am hoping all will be ok.

To any of you in Florida....I have just started to check the weather... it looks nice, but I would love a first hand report :) whatcha think? Short sleeves? capri pants? or the longer version of each?

Anyone ever take projects with you on trips? I am thinking of taking some Knifty knitting projects (ie. Christmas gifts). I think I will have some quite time on the cruise and ont he plane? Or am I kidding myself?

We are dressing in layers. The mornings the last week or so have been COLD. I woke up to 40 degrees yesterday. (umm hello this if FLORIDA LOL). If you look at the pics I posted today- those were taken last weekend. Long sleeves while outside. Morgan did wear short sleeves Saturday, but we were in the mall all day. In the pictures she has on a long sleeve tee and a long sleeve sweater, skirt, tights and leggings. I have not worn my capris in a week or so.

thanks for the weather info.... I have to admit, its not quite what I was hoping for :) but that's ok, we can do layers. The shirt I can't find is sleeveless, so maybe its a blessing in disguise :)
I am hoping for some sun, even if its cold. We are entering Soggy season up here - the kids are puddle stomping and my coffee intake is way up! Love winter in Seattle!
DS's teacher was great. She said "no problem, have a great time" - I suspect that once he starts K and above it will get a bit harder to be gone during school. But we will take it one year at a time :)

I love Black Friday SHopping too - and now I have DH coming along with me for the past few years! My best friend and I go over our lists, and although we dont actually shop together, we stay in touch via our cell phones!!

Did you see the rumored Walmart Ads? Do you think they are true?

I love that mickey dot fabric too - why would they stop making that? I got some at the Joann's in Bigfork, MT - when I was out there for our Camp Promise trip this summer - I wanted to get it all, but DH wouldnt let me get more than 2 yards - said we would go back on the way home - well you guessed it it was all GONE!!!! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to sew some clothes for the kids...Im trying to get gutsy enough to try the preppy pleated skirt - has anyone tried it? Any tips??? I also would like to do doll clothes and then try to figure out the totebag crayon thing...Im just not the greatest at spacing the places for the crayons - any tips???

Here is a close-up of the very raw edge applique that I put on some long sleeve black t-shirts for my sister's and I last year.

carvingpumpkinsandRileysb-day001.jpg

We get to Wal-mart about 4:00 am and we can put the things from the ad in our cart and have them. At 5:00 we all stake out our assigned "doorbuster" and grab what we need.

We go to Starbucks and get a really fattening coffee!

We make it to Target in time to be waiting for the doors to open at 6:00!

After that it's pretty much running everywhere. We stop for lunch and then see a movie. It usually ends up being an 18 hour day and we love it! This year all 3 of my sisters are coming and I am really looking forward to it, even though I really shouldn't be buying much w/ a trip planned 2 weeks after Christmas:laughing:
You have mad skills and I just love this shirt!

The big loops on the back sound more like what has happened to me when the machine is threaded wrong or the needle isn't in just right. Although the thread getting worn in the needle sound like the tension is too tight, but that could also be a threading problem. The first thing I would try if I were you is checking your needle and completely rethreading both the top thread and the bobbin.

I can never remember about the tension adjustments and I always have to refer to my sewing machine manual.
I did as much research as I could on the net and it seems that I need to get a ball point needle and/or a bigger needle. Then I also need to clean my machine and experiment with the tension.

I went to the hardware store and mean lady was there but another person helped me with needle selection. I also got a cheap McCalls see and sew for $1.50! I am going to rest up some and then try all the things I have learned.

Zoe does say "oh pickles" and "dang flabbit". I'm OK with those so maybe I'll try some positive reinforcement when she uses one of those or a similar alternative expression.
DS got off Kali and said *uck I am wet! My eyes went huge and I say "what did you say?" so he repeats himself! OMG, it is my favorite word and he learned to say it. So now if I use it he hits my wrist. He didn't even know what he said but I explained it is very very bad.

:scared1: I can't even imagine being so caught up in the shopping frenzy to not heed a warning from someone armed!!! I have a feeling BF will be a bit more low key this year with the economy as it is. However, there will still be the fools who think their desire to score a deal is more important than other people's. :confused3[/QUOTE]

I am not doing BF. We are living within our means and getting out of debt. I will sit back and watch the people on TV. I did want that front load washer dryer at sears for $600 but mine work fine and I don't have the money. Good luck to everyone going out and hope you get what you want and need.

Ooops I forgot to subscribe, but that is all fixed now. I knew something was wrong when the thread wasn't in my unread list. There was no way noone posted over lunch with a new tread starting.

I can not handle the crowds on Black Friday. I am actually going to work this year. The day after Thanksgiving is a floating holiday this year and I am going to go to work and enjoy a very quiet office to try to get caught up. I might have to run to Joann's for lunch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter