Disappointed

I think I am most disappointed that the so excited Grandfather really didn't exist....

I felt really bad that someone would have to go through this saga. I know that people sometimes do, but it seems a little farfetched that this could be entertaining to someone?!?! I really don't get it, however, a lot of good advice was given & a lot of dis-sers showed how caring & supportive they can be.

The moderators got to prove that they are pretty wonderful & on top of things too. (Which is pretty cool considering the number of different posters you see on the boards daily!)

The DIS rocks!

Wow. I bought the story, though I stopped reading after a while. I did think it odd that someone would come back to give so many updates. Often people dump their problems on the Internet, but then go on with their lives.

I have had my tree up since the weekend after Halloween. That's all we're putting up. Only 2 more weeks till I fly to the lower 48 to be with family. :goodvibes

While we don't normally comment on these matters, a lot of you are invested in this one. I want to share a little background.

We've known for a long time that this was a regular poster using a new alias. I think she even stated that in her first post. Not a big deal; we frequently see "I'm using a new name for this embarrassing post." :rotfl:

The two usernames were telling vastly different stories. This one had all the drama and international moves. The other incarnation was sharing little details of normal, happy couple hood and nice little things her DH did for her.

Again, tall tales are not a big deal. But as the drama escalated and the "baby" arrived, generous and caring people started talking about sending gifts and cards. That was the tipping point where the entertaining tall tale leaned toward taking advantage of people in tangible, real-life ways.

And that's where I closed it.

The poster was never in Canada or California, there is no Henry. I was in contact with the poster in question, there is no doubt about this being a mistake.

So that's the story.

Thanks for the info! :)

I was surprised how long that thread went on. I'd see it and feel bad that I didn't post any comforting words, but it just felt off.
I like DisneyDoll's thought that maybe the kind words helped someone else who really needed it.
As far as Christmas, I am working on finishing this coming week.
The grandkids are growing up, it's getting so much harder.

Its really nice to know that the mods are lurking and keeping us safe from scammers. :]

Mods are awesome! Great job on the catch! :thumbsup2

WebmasterKathy said:
While we don't normally comment on these matters, a lot of you are invested in this one. I want to share a little background.

We've known for a long time that this was a regular poster using a new alias. I think she even stated that in her first post. Not a big deal; we frequently see "I'm using a new name for this embarrassing post." :rotfl:

The two usernames were telling vastly different stories. This one had all the drama and international moves. The other incarnation was sharing little details of normal, happy couple hood and nice little things her DH did for her.

Again, tall tales are not a big deal. But as the drama escalated and the "baby" arrived, generous and caring people started talking about sending gifts and cards. That was the tipping point where the entertaining tall tale leaned toward taking advantage of people in tangible, real-life ways.

The poster was never in Canada or California, there is no Henry. I was in contact with the poster in question, there is no doubt about this being a mistake.

So that's the story.

OMG YOUR KIDDING? ITS ALL FAKE??????? Im just chiming in now. was away all day. Couldn't believe it!

WOW. I really dunno what to say! I totally bought it!

Im disgusted and disappointed that someone would go to great lengths to dupe so many ppl. Thats so low and disgusting. This person must be so bored with their life to orchestrate something like that.

Thank you webmasters for catching this before ppl started sending money and gifts!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Thanks Webmaster Kathy for the update.

Despite being on the thread from the beginning, I was feeling a bit weirded out by the way people got invested in that particular poster. People were calling themselves cyber aunties, and that is not appropriate in this Internet venue, IMHO.

As for Christmas decorating - tree has been up for 1 month, as are outside decorations. Tree has lots of wrapped gifts under it, all gifts are purchased, except for a few gift cards, and waiting on donation cards to arrive for teachers (we donate to a charity in memory of the kids' classes).

Again, thanks to moderators for locking the thread so that no one else was anymore emotionally or financially invested in this particular person.

Tiger

I got some stuff for his favorite NFL Team, a sweater, some undergarments (exciting, I know) and I bot him Pez for his stocking, just the refills, not the dispenser.

I have a few more things to get for his stocking but at least I started.

He's getting socks, only because he asked for them.

If there are new ideas I will take them , I am in a funk....:rotfl2:

If I hear of anything I will let you know.

DH did ask for a kindling knife from Duluth Trading, maybe I can get that for his stocking. I tell ya, he is the hardest man to shop for!

Well, they wrote a good story. I do not understand the sad lives of those who choose to make up stories on message boards...:sad2:

On Topic - kind of fits with the timing of that budget board post urging people not to give money to tragic thread posters :sad2:

I never read the original post, which actually is quite surprising considering that whenever I see a thread that gets that long, I usually pop in to see what it's all about.

I have read this thread, though, and I have to admit that I thought maybe the poster on the other read had read the warnings about scammers and thought to herself, "Hey, I'm smart enough. Bet I can fool them all." :sad2:

Sadly, there are some real nut jobs out there.

Thanks for the explanation Webmaster Kathy.

To those who thought something was up when the mom was going to visit...hmm, maybe, maybe not. In our experience, the mom was involved with her teen's "affair." If it had not been for pictures, etc., I would have wondered myself if the mom was involved with the BIL also. Very strange situations...

Wow, I was totally buying it. Not enough to send a present, but bought it all hook, line, and sinker! As a nurse for many many years, most of it in OB, I have seen my share of drama around pregnancy! Why someone would make all that up is puzzling, to say the least.

Just heard on the news that the Nurse who took that prank call regarding Duchess Kate might have committed suicide! Hope those morons on the radio feel like the jerks they are now. Iin the US we have all those HIPAA laws that protect info, but give the Nurse a break, she is likely a British subject, and hearing the Queen put through on the phone probably made her forget whatever laws they might have in Britain.

Kerri, you'll have to share pics! I need to raid the suitcase with MIL's other decorations to see what other great vintage ornaments she had. The reindeer had sticks coming out the bottom to put them in plants, so I just pulled those out.
I have one lone red reindeer so I put that one in the dining room. I'll post pics of that when I'm done in there.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos. :) If I get the holly berries set up this year I'll post photos. :) We do have a cute mantle but I wanted a little more this year, just hadn't figured out what but I loved the berries on yours so maybe that's it. :)

Why was the lie allowed to continue for so long? :confused3

The mods have other things going on, I'm sure it just took them that long to confirm this was a fake story.

I can't help myself but to wonder... this story was generating replies fairly qickly,but not fast enough to beat the Last Minute Travel special to travel for $ 1 thread.

I remeber reading the whole last page of replies just to find out there were several more pages of replies posted at the same time. And i don't think i'm a slow reader.

People lost a lot of sleep, several got bruises trying to break the world record in the "potty run" category... :)

Thank you for the update Kathy.

A few years ago a group of us got duped by a sick woman who faked her death and then came back to life under a different name a while later. She even posted pictures under the guise of this new person. She frequented the same forum.

This woman had sent baby gifts to another girl in the group, and it was "personal" when she died. To fake your own death and hurt people is terrible. I will never understand why someone does something so mean spirited.

I was so angry at the time, but now I just pity her. What a life you must lead, and how extensive is your mental illness, that you dream up things like this? This woman was in healthcare too. I pray for her patients because no one that mentally unstable should have access to narcotics or be in charge of anyone.

I too wondered when I saw the act of good will to send gifts if this would come to a screeching halt. The poster should be ashamed of herself. The rest of us did nothing wrong.

I made a major dent in my Christmas shopping yesterday. I will finish this week.

I also commented on that thread once "she'd had the baby" as previously I thought it was a bit OTT on the personal side to be sharing on a web forum.
I do think this person must have either a very lonely existence or have severe psychological problems to invent such a story with all the added details, I hope she gets medical help!

My hormonal self fell completely for it and now to hear it was fake makes teary eyed. Oh goodness maybe
Im too big a softy or I need my hormones checked lol.
Guess I think why would someone ever have a reason to lie on here.

So that's the story.

Thanks for clarifying, Kathy. There are some sick wackadoodles out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter