Disappointed victim of Hurricane Sandy

The first clause is not "At Destination". And I'm pretty sure the airports were closed for at least 24 hours. Were there road closures? I'm not sure as I don't live up there.
Regardless, I was just trying to illustrate that weather is covered, in at least some capacity buy travel insurance.
Also there may have been other clauses that would have covered the OP's situation. I just picked the first few I saw regarding weather.

Don't know where the OP lives, but I live a hour from NYC and can say I didn't hear of any roads closed really, but with how it was I wouldn't have wanted to be driving.

So if ones home randomly lost power, and with all the same ensuing results (planned to drive as opposed to missing or having a cancelled flight), there are insurance policies that would reimburse one for that? The whole situation is terrible for you (and now I'm imagining tons of non-weather, non sickness weird things that would make me cancel a trip) and it sounds so confusing! I yhink you said you did have dcl insurance (and possibly some other kind) ? I'm happy for you that dcl is at least crediting your missed cruise cost! It wouldn't surprise me if they wouldn't credit people if the ship sailed and one just couldn't get there? Like obviously sandy happened but "if" air travel were possible, I guess they would assume a "reasonable" attempt would get passengers there? Obviously the OPs ability not go was due to a natural disaster and its ramifications so if ones power just had done snafu, what then?

I realize that probably makes no sense and imnot trying to say anything weird about the OP, just pondering this thread! :goodvibes

Can you share with me who you had your insurance for in this case. I would definitely want to consider that for the future.

I appreciate the brutal honesty in many on your replies. In some regards, I am feeling selfish thinking that Disney should have helped in our situation. So as not to seem like a completely selfish bum, let me point out, we did make our original plans a year and a half in advance. There were several factors in our decision, the schools being out was a big factor, but price was the other. In addition to my family (of four), two sets of (retired) grandparents were going as well. All of us made plans to drive down to save money from air fare. We would not have originally, and probably never would have booked this trip in June. Fast forward to Sandy. Had it not been for this storm, we would have already sailed. And while neither the storm or our limitation for when we could reschedule this trip are NOT Disney's fault, I thought that MAYBE, being a family oriented, caring company, just maybe they would sympathize with our plight and would help us out in some way. I realize that the majority of those who responded feel that this is too much to ask of Disney, but frankly, I see this as an extreme circumstance and not unrealistic for a company of the size and type of Disney to help a family like ours, in some way. We are all Castaway Cay club members with about 7 Disney cruises between us.

Because Alianz screwed up in the processing of our claim, we now have to wait till mid to end of next week to learn of the insurance claim verdict. The one examiner I spoke with asked me if my home was "uninhabitable". We had no heat or electricity, but technically, it was habitable. We did stay here. He did suggest then that because of this the claim would likely be denied, but this was just his opinion.

In my state, a home without heat/electricity is not considered habitable. For example, if this is how someone lived on a normal, daily basis (as opposed to a temporary state of emergency as was your case), and DSS found out, they would most likely have their kids removed from the home. Now, in your case, it was temporary, but I would certainly argue it was not habitable for however those days you were without heat and electricity - even if you were staying there because you had no means to go elsewhere.

Hope you get your new cruise lined up soon, and have something to look forward to after all of this heartache. But, like other posters, I wouldn't wait for DCL to increase your refund by a certain percentage to cover a different cruise. They MAY give you the rate that was in effect the day you booked your initial cruise, but since they are not at any fault here, I would not expect it and be very pleasantly surprised if they did that.

Don't know where the OP lives, but I live a hour from NYC and can say I didn't hear of any roads closed really, but with how it was I wouldn't have wanted to be driving.
In fact, all Airports in NY were closed, as were mass transit and major roadways, both before, and for days after the storm. We were all advised to stay home until travel conditions were deemed safe. There were no traffic lights working, major power lines dangled, flooding and downed trees made roads impassable, and many fatal car accidents resulted from folks that elected to travel. But it sounds like the OP's sail date was prior to landfall? It is a bit confusing....

The bolded above is not correct at all. In fact I pulled my my travel insurance from my last trip.
The Company will pay a benefit, up to the maximum shown on Your Confirmation of Benefits, if You are prevented from taking Your Trip due to the following Unforeseen events:

Weather which causes complete cessation of services of Your Common Carrier for at least 24 consecutive hours.

Natural Disaster at the site of Your destination which renders Your destination accommodations uninhabitable.

Mandatory evacuation ordered by local authorities at Your final destination due to hurricane or other Natural Disaster. You must have 50% of Your total Trip length or less remaining on the Trip, at the time the mandatory evacuation ends, in order to cancel the Trip.
Note: this is not DCL insurance, but proves that weather/acts of nature are covered if you have the right policy. My maximum for cancellation was trip cost, so I would have gotten 100% back.

What you listed all said "at destination" the issue is that the weather issues were at the OP home state and the airports were open but they were driving so that wouldn't have been an issue
I agree with Joan1, all those clauses that sissy_ib quoted do not, unfortunately, apply to the OP's situation. They were driving, so the closure of the airport does not apply. The ship was not made uninhabitable, nor was there a mandatory evacuation in place at Port Canaveral at the time. So those clauses don't cover it.

Here are the pertinent clauses from DCL's policy (which is what the OP has - assuming the coverage has not changed since they bought their policy):

Part III. GENERAL EXCLUSIONS
These exclusions apply to all plan benefits and services. In addition to any exclusions that apply to a particular benefit, no coverage is provided for any loss arising directly or indirectly out of or as a result of the following:

11. Natural disasters (unless as specifically covered);
A maximum benefit of up to the amount indicated on Your Schedule of Coverage is provided to cover certain expenses as listed below which result from the cancellation or interruption of Your Trip due to:

3. Natural disasters or bad weather resulting in the complete cessation of services by the airline, the tour operator or the cruise line for at least 24 consecutive hours. [Not applicable to OP]

6. Your Primary Residence being made uninhabitable by fire, flood, burglary, vandalism, or natural disasters. [I think this is the one that's applicable. I suggest the OP contact Allianz and let them know they feel they didn't understand the definition of "uninhabitable" when they spoke to them previously, and get an exact definition to see if this does apply]
To the OP, I do understand where you're coming from, but I have to agree with the others. The fact that DCL is willing to give people a future credit for the non-refundable portion of your cruise if the insurance denies your claim is already an incredibly generous offer on DCL's part. I don't know of any other cruiseline that offers that. Expecting them to make up the difference for something *completely* outside their control seems a bit presumptuous, and I would have been totally SHOCKED if DCL had agreed. JMHO, YMMV.

But you're going to have to wait until you hear from Allianz in any case. You can't get the credit from DCL until Allianz denies the claim. And you never know, they may not deny it.

Sayhello

In fact, all Airports in NY were closed, as were mass transit and major roadways, both before, and for days after the storm. We were all advised to stay home until travel conditions were deemed safe. There were no traffic lights working, major power lines dangled, flooding and downed trees made roads impassable, and many fatal car accidents resulted from folks that elected to travel. But it sounds like the OP's sail date was prior to landfall? It is a bit confusing....
Technically, the OP's policy from DCL does not cover closed roads (I don't see it anywhere in DCL's policy). *However*, if what you say is true (as I'm sure it is) then, if I was the OP, I would call Allianz back and ask them if they are covered because they *could not* drive there. It seems weird that insurance would cover if you can't fly, but would not cover if you can't drive. It's a technicality, so I think it would be worth asking.

Sayhello

I knew mass transit, airports and some roads were closed and I know at least the few days after they advise people not to go out, but around here more local roads were not closed. I want to say the night after or two nights after. I went out with dad looking for gas. Of course, we went were there was power for most and not a lot of damage.

I agree with Joan1, all those clauses that sissy_ib quoted do not, unfortunately, apply to the OP's situation. They were driving, so the closure of the airport does not apply. The ship was not made uninhabitable, nor was there a mandatory evacuation in place at Port Canaveral at the time. So those clauses don't cover it.
Again, I had different insurance from the OP as I stated. I was only trying to point out that weather/acts of nature are covered in at least some capacity. I was correcting the person who said her claim would automatically be denied because it was an act of nature. Whether not the OP's claim will be covered is up to the insurance provider at this point.

CruizinTigers said:
frankly, I see this as an extreme circumstance and not unrealistic for a company of the size and type of Disney to help a family like ours, in some way.

With all due respect, I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands, of similar "extreme" circumstances annually. A business is not heartless for not making over-and-above financial sacrifices for anyone with a sad story. I'm genuinely shocked that you expect any sort of financial compensation above the original cruise fare applied to a future cruise. And I think that is Disney DID offer something, they'd be opening a can of worms... Where do you draw the line?!

I'm sorry you missed your cruise. Just something I have been thinking of while reading these posts... I have been on multiple Disney Cruises during the Nov teachers convention. I can tell you that probably 1/2 of the ships guests during those trips were people from NJ. The last Nov "NJ week" cruise we took we even ran into one of my DD's classmates. I could see Disney possibly helping out a single traveler/group, but if half the ship was to be filled by these guests it changes what they can do.
Sorry again, Donna

Can you share with me who you had your insurance for in this case. I would definitely want to consider that for the future.

I appreciate the brutal honesty in many on your replies. In some regards, I am feeling selfish thinking that Disney should have helped in our situation. So as not to seem like a completely selfish bum, let me point out, we did make our original plans a year and a half in advance. There were several factors in our decision, the schools being out was a big factor, but price was the other. In addition to my family (of four), two sets of (retired) grandparents were going as well. All of us made plans to drive down to save money from air fare. We would not have originally, and probably never would have booked this trip in June. Fast forward to Sandy. Had it not been for this storm, we would have already sailed. And while neither the storm or our limitation for when we could reschedule this trip are NOT Disney's fault, I thought that MAYBE, being a family oriented, caring company, just maybe they would sympathize with our plight and would help us out in some way. I realize that the majority of those who responded feel that this is too much to ask of Disney, but frankly, I see this as an extreme circumstance and not unrealistic for a company of the size and type of Disney to help a family like ours, in some way. We are all Castaway Cay club members with about 7 Disney cruises between us.

Because Alianz screwed up in the processing of our claim, we now have to wait till mid to end of next week to learn of the insurance claim verdict. The one examiner I spoke with asked me if my home was "uninhabitable". We had no heat or electricity, but technically, it was habitable. We did stay here. He did suggest then that because of this the claim would likely be denied, but this was just his opinion.

There is "Cancel For Any Reason" insurance, as well as "Cancel For Any Work Reason," which I buy for cruises because I own a business. I have used Travelex and Travel Guard. Here is the link from Insure My Trip: http://www.insuremytrip.com/cfar.html?linkId=30807&gclid=CLv5_bP65rMCFQ2znQodSlYArw

Note that "Cancel For Any Reason" policies have a short window between booking and policy purchase, so you can't wait until the last minute to buy.

This storm impacted the entire northeast portion of the country, and there were 8 million customers who lost power, some (mine included) of which took 8 to 10 days to be restored.
I imagine that there were a great many people who were either unable to take their vacations as planned, or had to make a lot of changes to their travel itinerary.
I am sympathetic to the original poster but fail to see how DCL could possibly make good will gestures to everyone who might have had to change their plans last minute.

Yes but all roads and airports were open for the weekend. Two of the three tri state area airports except La Guardia re-opened on Thursday. The OP said their cruise was the weekend after the storm made landfall as they mentioned they were without power as were most of us on the coast. We decided to make the cruise anyway, yes we were without power and there wasn't much rain from the storm and the days following were sunny. We made the decision to enjoy our cruise instead of sitting home in a cold no power home. Our neighbors watched our house just in case of any issues but all was fine. I am not sure I understand why the OP had the issue of thinking his basement would flood since there wasn't any rain after the storm hit unless he already had water in his basement and needed to stay to make sure it was all pumped out. We had friends and family that had a WDW trip planned and they went anyway, they also din't have power. Some extended their stay as they still didn't have power and why return home to that.

One of the reasons I went with Disney insurance over any other (despite being more expensive and not covering pre-existing) is their credit policy. If something happens and you can't go on the cruise, Disney will credit what you paid 100% for a future cruise. They will not do that if you get insurance elsewhere. So if, for some unlikely reason, the other insurance were to decline you, you would lose it all. I like that Disney will credit you 100% no matter what. I wouldn't care about getting a refund, would just like to know I can go another time.

But I take that to mean literally what it says. A 100% credit, not another cruise whenever I want it. I am choosing to go at a slow time of year. If I have to reschedule, even at another slow time of year, and that cruise costs more, I will have to pay the difference.

OP, I don't really understand how you go from booking something at a slow time of year, to attempt to go in peak season and then expect Disney to just be nice about it and offer a discount or charity. They are a business and they have no control over the weather. The only thing you are entitled to is what your contract stated. 100% of what you paid. :duck:

That being said, I'm very sorry that you've had to go through that and cancel your vacation. I know how devastiting hurricanes can be and it's awful to have to rebuild. Try and be happy with the knowledge that you were wise enough to buy the insurance and know you will get that as a credit towards whenever you choose to go again. Could you imagine if you hadn't taken the insurance?

OP, first I am very sorry of what you went thru with Hurricane Sandy. I am from Boston originally and have had my share of hurricane damage, though nothing close to the extent of what Sandy caused.

That being said, you did voluntarily choose to book during Hurricane Season (runs thru November 30) knowing that cruising that time of year is less money due to the risks involved.

I am sure Allianz will do the right thing as they are a very well respected insurance company in the travel industry. Nevertheless, the cruise departed on the scheduled date, though you were not able to drive down to board the ship as previously mentioned.

DCL has given you a "gift" of a credit of the entire money paid on your cruise that you did not make. Their company policy is NO REFUND if cancelled 14 days or less prior to the commencement of the cruise. So I applaud DCL for going above and beyond in this case, by offering you a rebooking.

To want more is an expectation of entitlement that I do not believe is warranted. If you desire to rebook, then you will need to choose a cruise within your budget, much as you did when you originally booked the first cruise that you missed.

I would look to your local schools to provide leniency in allowing your children to be out a week some other time of year to do the cruise. I always did this with my children until they reached college. Oldest DD is a teacher and she has students who unbelievably come in before Christmas break sometimes, and hand her a note that they will be gone an extra 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc.

As far as looking for compensation from DCL other than the cruise fare paid, well I would not pursue that IMHO.

Yes but all roads and airports were open for the weekend. Two of the three tri state area airports except La Guardia re-opened on Thursday. The OP said their cruise was the weekend after the storm made landfall as they mentioned they were without power as were most of us on the coast. We decided to make the cruise anyway, yes we were without power and there wasn't much rain from the storm and the days following were sunny. We made the decision to enjoy our cruise instead of sitting home in a cold no power home. Our neighbors watched our house just in case of any issues but all was fine. I am not sure I understand why the OP had the issue of thinking his basement would flood since there wasn't any rain after the storm hit unless he already had water in his basement and needed to stay to make sure it was all pumped out. We had friends and family that had a WDW trip planned and they went anyway, they also din't have power. Some extended their stay as they still didn't have power and why return home to that.
There were some people over on the DVC Boards who posted that they, too, "got out of Dodge" and headed to WDW rather than remain at home with no power. Go for the gusto....

I have family in northern NJ who came to stay with us the weekend after the hurricane because they still had no paper. A drive that should have taken 3 hours took almost 12. Roads were closed. Trees and power lines were still down. Most gas stations were closed and the ones that were open were limiting folks to $20 each.

And shortly thereafter they were predicting freezing temps - with the potential to add bursting pipes to the woes of those still living without power - making leaving home an impossibility for many.

Lets not sit around second guessing the OPs decision to stay home.

I have family in northern NJ who came to stay with us the weekend after the hurricane because they still had no paper. A drive that should have taken 3 hours took almost 12. Roads were closed. Trees and power lines were still down. Most gas stations were closed and the ones that were open were limiting folks to $20 each.

And shortly thereafter they were predicting freezing temps - with the potential to add bursting pipes to the woes of those still living without power - making leaving home an impossibility for many.

I am in NJ and was without power for 10 days. The temparatures were cold but didn't reach freezing where we are located along the coast

I don't think anybody is doing that. I think folks are trying to express their thoughts that if the OP did decide to stay home voluntarily, then they should not expect compensation above and beyond what they paid for the cruise.

lorenni said:

The freezing temps weren't that freezing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter