DIS Unplugged Show Feedback and Suggestions

I never put chocolate in a suitcase. It goes in a carry-on. You never know when there might be an in-flight chocolate emergency.

That's generally true for me, but I usually come home with more chocolate than my carry-on can fit. On my last trip home from Italy, I had probably 20 pounds of chocolate in 2 carry-on bags and just about every available space in my suitcase.

I would be interested in hearing advice on doing a split stay. We have never done this, with the stress of traveling with two small children wejust unpacked and could not imagine packing again mid vacation. We only come every 2-4 years, I am considering doing a spit with the grand( for dd 4) and the poly( where everyone else wants to be lol)
Is it worth the hassle?

Hi. This post is about comments from last week re: the authenticity of the World Showcase nations. I loved the segment about shopping and the discussion of the World Showcase shopping venues. We all know that we are not being tele-ported to the actual countries. And while some items for purchase are from the country ( check out the Clocks in Germany) others are representative of the countries but not necessarily made there. But, for those of us who do not have the resources to globe-hop, this is an opportunity to help widen our (and our kids') world view. You can meet someone who was born and raised in Mexico. You can see North African/Moroccan architecture. And you can take home a little something ( while maybe made in China) which reminds you that there is a whole world out there, and we should be mindful of that. WDW can help us be better people, and this is one way it strives toward that goal.

On the 08/04 Dis Unplugged News Show Video Edition, I believe it was Pete mentioned a star rating for the Hollywood and Vine Restaurant, and what he would give it. (Kevin also mentioned Coral Reef not being too impressive.) Could a segment be done on some of the most popular restaurants at Disney World and the review it currently has from say the Disney Website, and what the cast of the show would give it? It would be interesting to see how they match up.

I'm trying to plan a trip to Disney World in the not to distant future and picking the best restaurants at the entire resort to eat at over the course of 7 or 8 days is high on my list.

I'd be interested to know which WDW restaurants the team feels would actually be able to thrive(survive?) if they existed OUTSIDE of the WDW umbrella. Not just table service places, either...which counter service restaurants do they think could stand alone if they were to exist along International Drive, etc.?

In my opinion...most of the restaurants on Disney property would not survive outside the bubble of the parks.

Food quality and pricing would kill most in a short period of time.

They would have to adapt to survive.

Other than a handful of world renowned restaurants, making a reservation 6 months prior is an anomaly and making a reservation that far in advance for a $22 breakfast is unheard of...at least around here.

Restaurants don't usually start taking reservations even for major "dining out" holidays (ex. Mother's Day, Valentines Day, Easter etc) 6 months in advance. i could get a reservation to the best restaurants around here with a couple of days to a week's notice.

I think there are a couple that come close. I'd pick Narcoossee's and Jiko as being the closest to viable.

Again...all my opinion.

Kevin -- I don't want to totally derail this thread into a discussion of restaurants, but the podcast yesterday and your post today spark a question I wonder if you'd be willing to share your thoughts on.

We are coming to Disney with our five young children (ages 8 and under) and have booked a lunch at Hollywood and Vine as part of the Fantasmic Dining Package. We did it not for the restaurant, but for the precise reason that was being discussed on the podcast: our kids are HUGE fans of Disney Junior and it's pretty much the only place to do meet-and-greets with those characters. None of us has ever eaten at Hollywood and Vine before.

So my question is this: is H&V really horrible and something we should consider bailing on in spite of the desire to see the characters? Or is it simply that you don't think it's up to par food-wise, but might be worth it for a family like ours that places a high value on the character interactions?

Thanks!

Kevin -- I don't want to totally derail this thread into a discussion of restaurants, but the podcast yesterday and your post today spark a question I wonder if you'd be willing to share your thoughts on.

We are coming to Disney with our five young children (ages 8 and under) and have booked a lunch at Hollywood and Vine as part of the Fantasmic Dining Package. We did it not for the restaurant, but for the precise reason that was being discussed on the podcast: our kids are HUGE fans of Disney Junior and it's pretty much the only place to do meet-and-greets with those characters. None of us has ever eaten at Hollywood and Vine before.

So my question is this: is H&V really horrible and something we should consider bailing on in spite of the desire to see the characters? Or is it simply that you don't think it's up to par food-wise, but might be worth it for a family like ours that places a high value on the character interactions?

Thanks!

I have not dined there in quite a while. Pete has and has strong opinions about it.

The last time I was there (breakfast), the food wasn't great and I felt we were rushed out.

If the character interaction is at the top of your priority list, I'd say go for it. I am sure you will find something for everyone and you won't leave hungry.

I think if you manage your expectations food wise....you should be fine.

In my opinion...most of the restaurants on Disney property would not survive outside the bubble of the parks.

Food quality and pricing would kill most in a short period of time.

They would have to adapt to survive.

Other than a handful of world renowned restaurants, making a reservation 6 months prior is an anomaly and making a reservation that far in advance for a $22 breakfast is unheard of...at least around here.

Restaurants don't usually start taking reservations even for major "dining out" holidays (ex. Mother's Day, Valentines Day, Easter etc) 6 months in advance. i could get a reservation to the best restaurants around here with a couple of days to a week's notice.

I think there are a couple that come close. I'd pick Narcoossee's and Jiko as being the closest to viable.

Again...all my opinion.

I wasn't done with my idea. You cut me off before I could finish.

Just kidding.

Again...all my opinion.

Love ya Kevin! What makes you think Jiko and Narcoossee's might make it out in the real world? Just the pricing? Because I can't believe there would be any complains about the quality of the food.

Love ya Kevin! What makes you think Jiko and Narcoossee's might make it out in the real world? Just the pricing? Because I can't believe there would be any complains about the quality of the food.

Jiko offers unique flavors and items that aren't readily available. It's one of the few (if not only) Disney restaurants for which I have the occasional craving. I haven't found them anywhere else around here.

Narcoossee's has nailed the "casually elegant" vibe. Great food in a laid back, unpretentious, but still elegant atmosphere is hard to beat.

Again....my opinions.

Jiko offers unique flavors and items that aren't readily available. It's one of the few (if not only) Disney restaurants for which I have the occasional craving. I haven't found them anywhere else around here.

Narcoossee's has nailed the "casually elegant" vibe. Great food in a laid back, unpretentious, but still elegant atmosphere is hard to beat.

Again....my opinions.

Thanks for the response, but I think you may have misinterpreted what I was asking (not a big deal or anything).

You seemed to hedge your bets on Jiko and Narcoossee's being able to survive outside Disney. You say they're the "closest to viable", they "come close". I'm just wondering why you seem to hesitate that they could survive in the real world when clearly you like them so much and have nothing but good things to say.

Again, no big deal... I just like your opinions on Disney dining!

Narcoossee's would suffer greatly if that location were lost. Jiko too.

They would be far less special and that's why I used the term "maybe".

In addition, pricing is very high. There are a few places where I'm willing to drop that kind of money. I expect to pay higher prices at a restaurant inside the theme park bubble, but outside... a restaurant would have to offer a near perfect experience.

An example of this would be Bull and Bear.

Again...my opinions.

I have not dined there in quite a while. Pete has and has strong opinions about it.

The last time I was there (breakfast), the food wasn't great and I felt we were rushed out.

If the character interaction is at the top of your priority list, I'd say go for it. I am sure you will find something for everyone and you won't leave hungry.

I think if you manage your expectations food wise....you should be fine.
Thanks, Kevin, for your feedback! What you said was basically what my instinct was, but I wanted to be sure.

BTW, I do very much enjoy the dining reviews you do. I know that at this point, there's probably not much at Disney World that is new to you, but I hope we do get to hear more of them in the future!

Thanks!
I have 3 kids under 7 and we have really enjoyed meals at H&V. The characters are great, and they have a little dance party that gets the kids active if they are getting restless sitting for a while. We have eaten breakfast and lunch there, and both buffets are great!

Are you guys using audio compressors for your mics? It should remove that distortion you guys get when Kevin yells lol

I still think we're waiting for a new full on Kevin dining review...I miss them I guess the Star Wars and Chef Mickeys count but they were more about the characters...again I truly value Kevin's opinions on Disney dining.

Also why not have a mini 7 in 7 segment just showcasing the decorations around the deluxe resorts? I see a LOT of posters saying they make it a priority to go out of their way to see resort decor. I would love to see Dustin or Rynos filming touches to capture the feel of the resorts on Christmas time

I would love a review of the vip touring. I know it must be amazing and I would enjoy hearing the details.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter