DIS Unplugged Show Feedback and Suggestions

Dis Universal show is informative and I think Craig's knowledge is legit, I just wish he wouldn't wonder off topic so much or drive the show into the ditch when he tries to backtrack. His humor doesn't translate well on the podcast to be honest and I know humor, some of my best friends are humorous.

Craig is hilarious, so I don't know what you're talking about. I love the fact that the Universal show is allowed to be more free flowing than the Disney counterpart. That makes it more entertaining and fun. Craig is the straw that stirs the drink.

I love the fact that the Universal show is allowed to be more free flowing than the Disney counterpart. That makes it more entertaining and fun.
Just understand that not everyone shares your opinion on this. I just recently started listening to the Universal show again. I had stopped after one or two episodes because (sorry folks) I just couldn't tolerate Shaun on that show. Now that it's a new team, I figured I should give it another chance. It is much better but the one thing that drives me crazy is how uncontrolled it is. I, for one, would like it far better if it had a more structured format like the regular Disney World show.

I was hesitant to say something, but I have noticed this too. It is a roundtable discussion, but to me Pete is the personality that drives the podcast and serves as the host. As such, roundtable members, although free to bring their own experiences to the table, will defer to Pete as he guides the discussion or states his own opinion. Kevin is the only one I see that will interrupt Pete. In my opinion, this seems a little rude and smacks of one-upsmanship. Maybe it is familiarity due to their long relationship, I don't know.

However, I have always enjoyed Kevin's dining reviews and recommendations with John, both on site and off, and like the podcast better when the crew from the early days (Pete, John, Kevin, Corey AND Julie) are all present. This is not to disparage any of the others that have joined over time, just it sometimes feels like something is missing when several of the early crew members are not present.

As you mention, it's a roundtable discussion. They're all supposed to speak, including Kevin. There's no reason why he shouldn't speak up, if he has something to say. I haven't noticed him disrespectfully interrupting anyone.

I do feel the need to post a criticism after listening to this week's show. During the segment discussing the top 10 threads on the boards, I found it disappointing how unfamiliar the team was with by and large with the topics of those threads and therefore quite clearly, the boards as a whole. The most glaring example to me was the lack of familiarity with the ADR cancellation threads. Those threads (one for each month) are a DIS Boards staple and have been around forever. Now, I do realize that the team members probably have little to no use for those threads. However, in preparation for the show, they should make themselves familiar with something like that before the show if they don't already know what it is. It just comes off bad when most of the team is not privy to what is happening on the boards outside of the "DIS Unplugged" board.

I agree. I was disappointed by this, as well. If JL knew she was going to be naming the top ten threads, the least she could have done was research them, even just to get a sense of what the thread was about. When Pete does the top ten threads, it's clear he's gone to the thread and read enough to be able to discuss the content, not just the title.

I think when they do the top ten threads they should have the new panel member who oversees the boards on the show. Sorry I can't remember her name. Surely she would have a good idea what these threads are about if she is the one monitoring the boards.

I think you mean Jackie (sp?) and, you're right. If JL wasn't going to bother doing any research, the least she could have done was have someone on the panel who would discuss the threads intelligently.

A suggestion for the Universal show: Do segment(s) at specific CityWalk places, like that karaoke club.
At said karaoke club, participate and film it. I'm guessing Rhino would be the only one game to do such :D

I do feel the need to post a criticism after listening to this week's show. During the segment discussing the top 10 threads on the boards, I found it disappointing how unfamiliar the team was with by and large with the topics of those threads and therefore quite clearly, the boards as a whole. The most glaring example to me was the lack of familiarity with the ADR cancellation threads. Those threads (one for each month) are a DIS Boards staple and have been around forever. Now, I do realize that the team members probably have little to no use for those threads. However, in preparation for the show, they should make themselves familiar with something like that before the show if they don't already know what it is. It just comes off bad when most of the team is not privy to what is happening on the boards outside of the "DIS Unplugged" board.

I agree with this. That was a bad segment because they didn't seem to know anything about the threads.

I love the podcast and the team. I agree with some that previous posts that stated we would like more reviews of moderates and values. I love hearing the reviews of the deluxe concierge level stays but I'm more of a moderate-type person and those types of reviews would be more helpful to me. Keep up the good work!

I would really love to see the podcast bring more women to the roundtable. Yes, Kathy, Teresa, JL and Julie are all women, but quite frequently only one of them is present, and sometimes none are. I don't mind the shows without women, but it would be a welcome additional perspective.

Also, I would REALLY love to see a woman who is not a mom on this show. No disrespect to any moms, it's just not a situation I am in and I know there are plenty of women like me who go to Disney. I'd love to hear another woman talk about their experiences from this perspective - going to Disney with friends, going solo, etc. It's really a missing voice on this show.

Also, I would REALLY love to see a woman who is not a mom on this show. No disrespect to any moms, it's just not a situation I am in and I know there are plenty of women like me who go to Disney. I'd love to hear another woman talk about their experiences from this perspective - going to Disney with friends, going solo, etc. It's really a missing voice on this show.

Well, Cathy's kids are adults, so while she may go to a park with her kids, it's more like she goes with friends than it is with a child. (Her grandkids is another matter, though).

Also, I think going solo when you live down there is much different than "taking a trip" as a solo.

Well, Cathy's kids are adults, so while she may go to a park with her kids, it's more like she goes with friends than it is with a child. (Her grandkids is another matter, though).

Also, I think going solo when you live down there is much different than "taking a trip" as a solo.

Sorry, but that's just not the same. Kathy going with her kids, even adult kids, is still a mom's perspective and not the same as a group of girlfriends getting together to hang out at Disney. I think we hear a lot of that from Dustin and Craig. I think Corey even brings it to light a bit when talking about going out for the monorail crawl and such.

However, from the female perspective, even from JL, the experience is about going to Disney or traveling with their kids.

Allow me to clarify - I think the perspective from a younger woman (mid 20's, early 30's) without kids is a missing voice on the podcast. I think there's so much to the experience of going to Disney with friends, going for girl's nights, etc that would be great to hear about.

I've done solo trips and now that we live here, I do solo days sometimes too. (I get summers off, DH doesn't.) I think that a solo day in the park generally looks the same - though I am surely a lot more casual about it now that I live here. I'd like to hear that day in the parks solo perspective.

Julie was on the podcast long before she had kids.

Good point. Perhaps missing isn't the perfect term. Grown absent in recent years? I forget how old Ferris & Finley are, but it's definitely been a while. (I just checked. It's been 7 years. That's kind of a while.)

Editing to add:

Allow me to say this - please know that my suggestion was not intended to be a indictment of the Dis' general attitude towards women. I don't think the Dis "shuns" the non-Mom perspective or women in general.

Overall, there's just generally been a shift, as happens over time. People's lives, jobs, relationships, etc change. Thus the demographic of the podcast has changed somewhat. Not on purpose. Things just happen. Life happens, for better for worse. :)

This is simply my suggestion for how I'd love to see the podcast develop in the future.

Last edited:
I'd love a Busch Gardens segment too!

In a very short space of time I have turned into a massive Unplugged fan - I listen to the DIS, Universal and The Trip editions and if I've listened to all of them then I'll pick a random older one. Really getting me excited for our next trip in October. Keep up the great work guys.

Julie was on the podcast long before she had kids.

Lol, I've gone back to start from the beginning of the podcasts and just yesterday listened to the one where where they announced Julie was pregnant with Ferris. I cheered and said yay, Julie and Corey are having a baby....in 2008. My sister already thinks I'm strange, that kinda clinched it.

Well, kind of along the lady view, but not totally, like I said I've been listening to the older podcasts and thoroughly enjoyed Julie's shopping segment. The stores are something that you don't find much info on. It's understandable though, because merchandise can change so frequently it difficult to keep it current.

BTW, I just love all of you. I call you my podcast friends, is that okay? :wave:

The stores are something that you don't find much info on. It's understandable though, because merchandise can change so frequently it difficult to keep it current.
It's true that merchandise changes frequently but this is still a good suggestion. In general, there are certain places where you'd want to look first if you were hunting for a certain type of item. And there is still some degree of uniqueness with certain shops. For example, Art of Disney has the print-on-demand artwork. I don't think you can get that anywhere else. Stuff like that.

So maybe a periodic shopping review would be useful.

That is an excellent observation.

The forums have existed a lot longer than the podcast.

That bothered me too. Previously, when they've discussed the top 10 threads, there was a bit of conversation about each one. This time, they named them and couldn't really say anything about most of them which wasn't as interesting or entertaining.

I agree with this. That was a bad segment because they didn't seem to know anything about the threads.

I don't want to speak on behalf of any of the team, but I can speak on my knowledge of the boards and that is it's not great. I obviously keep an eye on things from time to time and post whenever I can, but the bulk of my job has nothing to do with the boards. I'm sure I could spend some time on here during my free time to learn the ins and outs a bit more, but I usually escape away from the theme park world when I get these glittering moments. It is note that I have a problem with the message boards. Now that I live in Florida and have the job that I have, I just don't have the time to dedicate to adding another aspect in or I'd be working the equivalent of two full-time jobs every week. Pete enjoys when we work hard, but he doesn't want us to die from exhaustion either. So, you will see me trying to get in some more boards time and learn my way back around after being off for awhile, but it will be most likely only in Universal or over here helping out with any questions that pop up!

Just understand that not everyone shares your opinion on this. I just recently started listening to the Universal show again. I had stopped after one or two episodes because (sorry folks) I just couldn't tolerate Shaun on that show. Now that it's a new team, I figured I should give it another chance. It is much better but the one thing that drives me crazy is how uncontrolled it is. I, for one, would like it far better if it had a more structured format like the regular Disney World show.

I think if you keep up with it you will realize how in control it actually is. Yes, we do wander off on some topics from time to time, but I don't want to limit us either. Part of what makes all of our shows feel more personal is when we open up and let the humor come through even when it derails shows at some points, but we always get back on track and back to the real information. In terms of a structured format, we have a nearly identical format with one exception. On Buzz shows we start with Housekeeping, The Buzz, a Mid-Show blurb if time is available and then instead of Rapidfires we throw on a brief segment, because Universal doesn't have nearly enough news to stretch it out weekly. Then on the opposite weeks we do Housekeeping/Updates followed by the segment. Sometimes this feels less structured because when news pops up we don't want to put it off if it is juicy, but other than that it is the same free conversation like we do during the segment shows on The DIS Unplugged.

Trust me, if you go back and watch or listen to the first 10 shows followed immediately by the last 10 shows we've done you will see the distinction immediately like night and day.

Lol, I've gone back to start from the beginning of the podcasts and just yesterday listened to the one where where they announced Julie was pregnant with Ferris. I cheered and said yay, Julie and Corey are having a baby....in 2008. My sister already thinks I'm strange, that kinda clinched it.

Well, kind of along the lady view, but not totally, like I said I've been listening to the older podcasts and thoroughly enjoyed Julie's shopping segment. The stores are something that you don't find much info on. It's understandable though, because merchandise can change so frequently it difficult to keep it current.

BTW, I just love all of you. I call you my podcast friends, is that okay? :wave:

Because there is so much merchandise and it changes often, most of this is covered on the blog and wdwinfo.com. You'll also see segments on the show or rapid fires here and there. Still, more merchandise talk is always a good thing!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter