Dis Photo Board Assigment, July, 09: Summer and Patriotism

Here are a few fireworks shots taken over three days, all of them using the Mississippi river as a 'prop'.

From the Taste of Minnesota in St. Paul on 7/3, looking over downtown St. Paul from the High bridge:

094.jpg

101.jpg

From Minneapolis' Red, White and Boom show on 7/4. The bridge in these shots is the Hennepin Ave. Bridge.

105-Copy.jpg

126-Copy.jpg

From the Taste of Minnesota again, this time taken while standing on the Wabasha St. Bridge.

160.jpg

167.jpg

4th of July fireworks at WDW

DSCF3025.jpg

DSCF3042.jpg

DSCF3080.jpg

Used my DW's Fuji P&S ... next year I'll bring my dslr :confused3

And the last from my Canon G9 which died on the last night of camp (out of warranty too) but I did finally convince myself with DH's help yesterday to get a Canon XSi which I already like very much!

On with the show:

IMG_2059ed.jpg

IMG_2051ed.jpg

IMG_2056ed.jpg

IMG_2052ed.jpg

IMG_2071ed.jpg

Here's one of the US Flag flying outside an interesting building:
flag.jpg

I like the angle and composition, but I think the lens flare detracts from the pic. Also, the blown highlights in the building aren't too great, but it *is* how it looked to my eye from the reflecting sunlight, so....

Here's my Harrisburg, PA fireworks shot -- from the opposite side of the Susquehanna river from spinetnglr's! :
fireworks.jpg

I'm curious if anyone knows why the sky seems so much darker in spinetnglr's pics than mine -- there couldn't have been more than 5-10 minutes separating them! :) I guess it's because I was shooting more into the setting sun and he was shooting in the opposite direction ... but, I'm only guessing....

4th of July fireworks at WDW

DSCF3025.jpg

DSCF3042.jpg

DSCF3080.jpg

Used my DW's Fuji P&S ... next year I'll bring my dslr :confused3

Nice to see someone else from the Twin Cities on here. Great shots of the cities and fireworks! I will post some of my pics from the fourth at Ft. Snelling later this evening. :)

Tammy

Here are a few fireworks shots taken over three days, all of them using the Mississippi river as a 'prop'.

From the Taste of Minnesota in St. Paul on 7/3, looking over downtown St. Paul from the High bridge:

094.jpg

101.jpg

From Minneapolis' Red, White and Boom show on 7/4. The bridge in these shots is the Hennepin Ave. Bridge.

105-Copy.jpg

126-Copy.jpg

From the Taste of Minnesota again, this time taken while standing on the Wabasha St. Bridge.

160.jpg

167.jpg

Great series of shots Bill. Well done!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:worship:

Tammy, I'm assuming you ment me and not Brack, correct? Thanks for the compliment, looking forward to seeing your shots from Snelling.

Kyle - Thanks! :goodvibes

Here are a couple of summer shots:

Playing football on the beach
073.jpg

Eating on a picnic table:
086.jpg

Kids running through the yard:
171.jpg

Sunsets on the lake:
310-1.jpg

Checking in from vacation. :beach:

Glad to see people are still shooting for the assignment. Keep it going, these are great!

Stitch, love the flag shot. Good to see you, haven't seen you in a while.

Quicklabs, great B&W of Gracie. :thumbsup2

Here's my Harrisburg, PA fireworks shot -- from the opposite side of the Susquehanna river from spinetnglr's! :
fireworks.jpg

I'm curious if anyone knows why the sky seems so much darker in spinetnglr's pics than mine -- there couldn't have been more than 5-10 minutes separating them! :) I guess it's because I was shooting more into the setting sun and he was shooting in the opposite direction ... but, I'm only guessing....

I increased the "blacks" a little and adjusted the fill light in Lightroom to make the sky darker and the fireworks stand out a little more. If I posted the shots right from the camera I'm sure the skies in both of our pictures would be pretty similar. If you look at the picture of the Harvey Taylor Bridge you can still see the blue sky as I didnt do any post processing to darken the sky in that shot and it was taken after the fireworks were over. I think the sun was probably far enough below the horizon to have made too much of a difference. Its interesting to see a shot from the east side of river :)

Karyl

Why not...I wish I'd taken more this month, but it is so HOT that I just don't spend as much time outside. But here's a few different July summer shots:

Big lizard (knight anole) in my backyard...lizards are everywhere in Florida during the summer:

114736685.jpg

My pool beckoning me on a nice sunny day:

114736702.jpg

Sunny day at the beach...with late afternoon thunderstorms moving in...yep, that's Florida in the summer!:

114902446.jpg

A cute little cardinal paying a visit, hoping for a peanut...we only see cardinals in the summer - they seem to go elsewhere in the winter months:

114618548.jpg

Summer also means the blue jays come back in force...this one is sitting on my jacuzzi handrail:

114618552.jpg

Tammy, I'm assuming you ment me and not Brack, correct? Thanks for the compliment, looking forward to seeing your shots from Snelling.

Kyle - Thanks! :goodvibes

Here are a couple of summer shots:

Playing football on the beach
073.jpg

Eating on a picnic table:
086.jpg

Kids running through the yard:
171.jpg

Sunsets on the lake:
310-1.jpg

Bill, yes I really enjoyed your pictures from our great area! Do you get out around the cities often to shoot? I am still in the early learning stages with my camera. I am going to Como Zoo and Conservatory tomorrow just to play. :) This is my ME time.

3734182074_404285d052.jpg

The military parade from historic Fort Snelling. The fort is set in the 1820's.

3733383059_0206e10848.jpg

Another angle of the military parade.

3734181898_53bafd243c.jpg

I find Fort Snelling really interesting. I haven't put up pictures of the blacksmith making a door handle. That was pretty cool!

Southern California sunsets are usually pretty boring during the summer months but I got lucky tonight since there was a brush fire in the area to give me some color.

594986290_hXvbk-XL.jpg

Summer is all about making new friends! However, some new friends are "surer" of the friendship than others. Taken yesterday.
Augustamakingfriends.jpg

I increased the "blacks" a little and adjusted the fill light in Lightroom to make the sky darker and the fireworks stand out a little more. If I posted the shots right from the camera I'm sure the skies in both of our pictures would be pretty similar. If you look at the picture of the Harvey Taylor Bridge you can still see the blue sky as I didnt do any post processing to darken the sky in that shot and it was taken after the fireworks were over. I think the sun was probably far enough below the horizon to have made too much of a difference. Its interesting to see a shot from the east side of river :)

Karyl

Ahh, that makes sense ... I didn't do any post-processing except for resizing with GIMP!

The park that you shot your pics from, was it that one with the chain-swing benching hanging from the edge of the pavilion? My wife and I stopped by there just this past weekend, and we're thinking, "I bet the fireworks look great from here!" :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter