Dis Photo Board Assigment, July, 09: Summer and Patriotism

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by Pea-n-Me, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Pea-n-Me

Pea-n-Me DIS Veteran

I thought we'd start off with something fun and simple so everyone can join in.

Remember, the idea is to go out and take NEW PICTURES, so old pictures should not be used.

Let's really try to capture the feel of the month of July, perhaps the best month of summer. Shoot anywhere and everywhere. Fourth of July is this weekend, lots of celebrations everywhere. Ice cream, beaches, barbeques, sports, vacations, gardens, wildlife, insects, etc = endless opportunities. Show us what Summer and/or Patriotism mean to you.

Keep your cameras with you! They're not doing anyone any good sitting at home on a shelf.

Artistic design is completely up to you, including post processing - this is not a contest. It's just for fun. Some things to strive for for those newer to photography might be: vibrant colors, good clarity and composition, filling the frame, straight landscapes, interesting subject matter, utilizing concepts you've always wanted to try or simply coming out of your comfort zone, etc.

Include EXIF info if possible so everyone can learn. Discussion and questions are welcome. Post as often as you like.

Let's see your pictures! :woohoo:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. annnewjerz

annnewjerz If I had a world of my own, everything would be no

Gotta get the question asking started somewhere, why not start now? :rolleyes1

For anything taken for these "assignments"---are you intending these to be like the photo contests in the sense that minimal PP should be done, or can colors be boosted, vignettes added, etc.?

I'm sure there is no hard and fast rule for this, more just wanted your thoughts on the subject. :goodvibes

Ann

4. jann1033

jann1033 <font color=darkcoral>Right now I'm an inch of nat

so guessing no tilts are allowed?( just kidding) but i vote for pp, it happens anyway depending on what settings you use in-camera but maybe we could say what we do as well as the exif info?

5. Pea-n-Me

Pea-n-Me DIS Veteran

I think I addressed your questions in an edit of the OP. (So hard to try to capture everything while keeping it fairly simple.)

Janet, you can tilt to your heart's content, sister. :laughing:

And Ann, feel free to use your pp talents however you like. :goodvibes

My goals are for all participants to have fun with this, to get out and use their cameras, to enjoy others' photos, to share knowledge, and to learn a few things along the way. :thumbsup2

6. Alztybrn

Alztybrn Was there life before TIVO?

Sorry...another question...is this limited to one pic per person, or more than one?

I am excited about these assignments!

7. annnewjerz

annnewjerz If I had a world of my own, everything would be no

My guess is that you can post more than one pic per person. In the original post, it says "post as often as you'd like" so if you take a pic on 4th of July at a picnic and post it, you can post another one from the beach on the 19th of July and another from a baseball game on the 22nd of July, etc. etc.

Hope that helps!
    Ann

8. Villainess

Villainess Fantasy and reality often overlap - Walt Disney

Definitely going to join in! Too bad my town cancelled the fireworks this year - not bc of money, but bc the mayor and council can't get along :(

9. handicap18

handicap18 <font color=blue>Husband, father of 3, and Disney

Yay!!!!!

10. Quicklabs

Quicklabs DIS Veteran

What a great way to start the show!

11. nordkin

nordkin DIS Veteran

Ampitheatre at Arlington Cemetary by the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

[​IMG]

The Washington Monument with the Capital Building

[​IMG]

12. ColleenG

ColleenG DIS Veteran

Ooohhh! We are planning on going to the beach on Friday. I'll see what I can get!

13. stitch1986

stitch1986 Stitch Lvr

I hope I can take pics with patriotic cause if not I might have to improvise cause I am for once not going anywhere for 4th of july :/

14. Villainess

Villainess Fantasy and reality often overlap - Walt Disney

Taken today...

Summer = Dad trimming branches in the yard

[​IMG]

15. Amy

Amy MamaGrumpy

Sounds like fun!:goodvibes Supposed to be good weather this weekend for the parade and fireworks!

And I'd like to echo Janet's suggestion that in addition to posting the exif info, if you've enhanced the photo in some way, please post what you did so the rest of us can learn from you. I'm still a Photoshop Elements novice and would love to learn some new techniques. I'm great at selective coloring and can do some cloning, but I stumble around with some of the other stuff.

16. fitzperry

fitzperry DIS Veteran

Here are a few I took of the kids playing outside after dinner tonight . . .

All shot w/ Nikon D300, Nikkor 70-300 VR, ISO 1600, +0.7 ev, shot in shutter priority in RAW and converted in Aperture. I borrowed this lens from a friend and I'm having trouble getting good focus on action shots, as evidenced by the second image in particular. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

[​IMG]
    f/5.3, 1/500 sec, 195mm

[​IMG]
    f/4.8, 1/500 sec, 116mm

[​IMG]
    f/4.5, 1/800 sec, 95mm

Hope CPS doesn't come knocking on my door for taking pictures instead of telling them to stop doing this :scared:

17. ColleenG

ColleenG DIS Veteran

Great shots Fitzperry! My DD does the same thing. This summer she is working on a distance record :scared1:. Just hope we don't have any visits to the ER. If so I'll be sure to bring my camera! :rotfl:

18. fitzperry

fitzperry DIS Veteran

Thanks!

Mine are using pine cones to mark their record distances. :lmao: We came inside after the little one jammed her chin on her knee and the big one twisted her wrist. Hope we all stay out of the ER!

19. Gdad

Gdad I'm fuzzy on the whole good-bad thing

Are you shooting in AF-S or AF-C?

20. fitzperry

fitzperry DIS Veteran

AF-C. I've been switching between the dynamic and auto area modes and can't decide which I prefer. Do you have an opinion on that or any other tips?

21. Gdad

Gdad I'm fuzzy on the whole good-bad thing

I personally hate the Auto Area AF- every time I try it out it's a disaster. I am probably in Single Area AF-C 90% of the time and Dynamic Area AF-C the other 10% mainly just for birding.