Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

Hi everyone! I've been away for a while just trying to keep up with life. Hope everyone is well. Had my 6 month mammogram on Tuesday and got the all clear. Very happy! I see my oncologist at the end of the month and the surgeon in July.

GAGWTA!

Thank you everyone. The service for my DSIL was today and I was asked to write the eulogy. A daunting task but it seemed to be well received. Thankfully my voice came back. I have a bad head cold and had no voice at all yesterday.

My dad had surgery this morning and we are waiting on the results. Unfortunately there is kidney involvement of some sort and he needs another surgery next week for that. And my niece may have a recurrence of breast cancer. I swear I detest that word.

Tazdev, so sorry about your SIL.
JillyB, sounds like things are going well!
Linda, hope all that snow is starting to melt!
LMP, is your weather starting to impove yet?
Smiley, has your DD had the baby yet? Maybe we will get some pictures?? :) Would love to see some from your
trip too!
Laurie, pics from New York would also be wonderful......hope you had a good time!

I'm doing ok. Had surgery last week to have a permanent drain put in to make it easier to keep up with the fluid and not have so many trips to the hospital. Kinda freaky though, draining it at home - removed 3 liters tonight! still not back on chemo and just doing the anti estrogen shots instead, so yay for that! Although I must say those shots are quite litterly a pain in the butt. lol

Going to Chicago tomorrow to see Zoe, so that will be a great day. Hard to believe she is already 8 mos old. :lovestruc

Hope you all have a great weekend.......don't forget to set your clocks ahead! LOL, that ends my PSA :mic:

GAGWTA!!!

I'm back!

Actually I have been home since early last Monday am. It's taken me this long to recover! I am turning into a lightweight I guess.

So much to catch up on.

Sorry about your SIL Tazdev. I hope you get good news concerning your dad this week.

Cheryl , I hope you enjoyed your day with Zoe. Yikes that is a lot of fluid, but at least you can be more comfortable dealing with it at home rather than at the hospital.

Maryann, that is cool that your youngest son's photo will be on that magazine. I hope he likes his new job.

Smilie, has your daughter end delivered yet? What an exciting time! You will have to give us all the details of your trip, so we can live vicariously.

NYC was cold but wonderful. Staying 8 nights made a difference, we felt like we could go off the itinerary if we wanted to. We spent lots of time with DD 24 and my brother, eating restaurant week dinners and seeing plays. In fact we saw 5 plays! We also went to a jazz tribute to Billy Holiday at Lincoln center, and did a walking eating and history tour of little Italy and Chinatown. DH and I made it to the Met 3 different days, also MOMA, the 9/11 museum, the Frick and the museum of the city of New York.

All this amidst the snow!

My friend from New Orleans and her SO joined us in day 4. Fortunately the weather got a little better. Until it was time to return home. It started snowing so hard Sunday we were stuck on the plane for hours, finally took off over six hours late.

Not sure if we will attempt another February trip.

I have photos to post of the snow on our terrace (yes we threw snowballs). We loved the boutique hotel I booked, it had a lot of character, excellent breakfast and wine and snacks in the evening. We could walk to the museums and mostly braved the subways for the plays and meals. I think it's my favorite NYC hotel to date.

Hi Everyone, I wrote a post a few weeks ago but have not seen it on here - think it was lost in the snow!! I haven't been posting for awhile but I have been reading your posts. I hope everyone is doing well and please know that I am thinking of all of you still undergoing treatment. I am on Aromasin - the price of it is out of sight - $1185.00 for a 3 month supply and that is for the generic brand but my Oncologist said this was the best drug for me to be on so we tightened our belts financially. With the insurance we have I end up in what they call the "donut hole" about May and then have to pay the entire price. It is working well for me except for joint pain which I can tolerate.

As you know, we had to cancel our Disney trip in Sept. as the day before we were due to leave on the Disney Cruise my heart paused for 7 seconds and I had to have a pacemaker put in. About 3 weeks before this happened they put in a Loop Monitor (like a Holter monitor) but it is inserted under the skin close to the heart) and that is how they discovered the pause in my heart. I am a very lucky lady I've been told because of the way the events happened and they were able to see it on the incoming EKG.

We have had one snowy, white winter and now we are dealing with ice jams in our gutters. Our son was over today too help but it is almost impossible to get the snow off the roof.

Wishing you all a good week - I will be posting more now that life has settled out a little.

As promised, I'll post a few photos I took on my iPhone during my trip.

I left the Canon DSR at home, but I will post a few anyway.

our cute little king room had a comfy couch that was nice for a long trip

We flew into Newark and DD24 and her boyfriend picked us up. After brunch, DH and I headed to Manhattan on the Path train and grabbed a taxi to our hotel. It started snowing about 15 minutes after we got into our room. I booked a room on a high floor with a terrace. The terrace was a bit of a waste of money since it was so cold all week, but boy did we lose our minds watching the snow come down.

We found the terrace was a terrific place to chill the bottle of French champagne the hotel had left in the room for us.

As I said we went a little crazy. . .

I ended up with so many short videos of the snow falling and throwing snowballs that my iPhone almost blew up.

The next day we braved the mush on the street and walked up Fifth ave by Central Park to the Met.

It was so beautiful. I loved the undisturbed areas that stretched on and on.

The trees all had a layer on them that looked like a work of living art to my eyes.

On the walk back from the Met to our hotel, we stopped at FAO Schwartz.

This guy was so into his character that he reminded me of the CMs at Tower of Tower.

Our first restaurant week dinner was that night at a David Burke restaurant. My brother snapped this photo of DD24, DH and me,

The next night we attended our first play, which was an opening night. Now keep in mind we only did off-Broadway plays this trip, so all the theaters were smaller houses. This play was opening night and it was quite a production, it was called Big Love. It was based on a Greek legend where 50 sisters were forced to marry 50 cousins. This one though included a dash of full frontal nudity (weirdly only at the very beginning for about a minute, starting literally in the first few seconds of the play). It also included, body slamming on padded walls and floor, breaking of lots of dishes, throwing tomatoes on the ground, and an ending that I can't really go into detail about here other than to say two of the brides killed their groom, in bloody and vicious ways, one of which involved the use of a blender (use your imagination)! All I could think of was how in the world they were going to get all that blood off the wedding dresses and the grooms' white shirts!

After that frenetic evening, a group of six of us had a 10 pm reservation for great fried chicken and other assorted goodies (the pork buns were simply amazing) at Momufuku Noodle bar.

DD24 and I right before we dug in.

Did I mention the pork buns were really good?

Suffice to say we were exhausted the next morning, we slept in and then had a leisurely breakfast in the hotel's club room, which we truly made the most of each and every morning for at least 2 hours.

Later we ventured out in the cold to MOMA which was literally less than 2 blocks down the street from the hotel and enjoyed our usual

ah, starry nights. . .

and also a wonderful special exhibition of a number of Toulouse Lautrec posters that I had never seen before.

The next day we ventured back to the Met before meeting my friend from New Orleans and her boyfriend at the hotel and then heading to the 9/11 museum. We were a little rushed and confused in that museum. I think I might go back there sometime when it is not as busy and when I have time to linger more. We had to leave because my brother had arranged for us to see the play he had commissioned that night at this adorable little theatre in the West Village, Cherry Lane.

This play was my favorite of the week, Everything you Touch.

The play was wonderful, it was an involved story of traveling back in forth between the current day and the 70's and was all about body image and being judged by your mother and others, and the fashion industry in general. Very good cast, amazing wardrobe and set. Even had a star from one of the Harry Potter movies, and the playwright is a writer for Shameless.

Later in the week came 3 more plays, more trips to the Met, the Frick.

Beautiful courtyard at the Frick, not to mention great small collection, several fantastic Van Meers, a beautiful Renoir and Monet. Great small alternative to the Met.

and the Museum of the city of New York. Also more restaurant week meals.

These below were from a $25 lunch at a Tom Collichio restaurant with unreal views of the East River front he windows.

IMG_0310.jpg

We just loved the views from the terrace of NYC. I want to go back and stay here very soon.

Just not in February, our plane was so late, and we spent hours and hours stuck in the plane waiting to be de iced 3 times, waiting for passengers they let come on board ( from later cancelled flights that caused our plane to be too heavy) to deplane, and then for ground crew to show up and remove the baggage that belonged to the passengers to get off.

Perhaps JFK is better, I had better luck with Laguardia during the summer.

GAGWTA!

Last edited:
Wow Laurie, what a great trip! I love your enthusiasm about the snow....I think that around here, and everywhere else that has been buried all winter, we just get so tired of it that the beauty is completely lost. Nice to hear it from a new perspective. I love your pictures, I feel like i was right there with you! You sure had some delicious looking eats....yummmmm, fried chicken! What a great hotel room, looks lovely. Bummer about the airport delays though. Thanks for posting such a detailed trip review! :thumbsup2

Annrea, glad to hear the new medication is working for you. Sounds like you are doing well after such a scary episode last fall. I hope you get to take that Disney cruise sometime in the future!

Our weather has improved so much in such a short time it is unreal. Such a relief. They are actually forecasting an unbelievable 60 degrees for tomorrow! Woohooo! :sunny:

Had a post op checkup yesterday, everything is going well and the drain is working well. DH has had quite a quick education on learning how to change the dressing, the actual draining and the importance of keeping everything sterile. It is located fairly low on my stomach and I really can't see it very well when I lay down, so it's all up to him. He's been great. It will always have to have the gauze pads and tagaderm over it, so this will be the routine for the long haul. Finally got the clearance to take a shower......let me tell you, after almost two weeks it was heaven! lol

GAGWTA!!!!!:goodvibes

Annrae, my doctor tried putting need on Aromasin. With my insurance, it would have been over $400 for 30 pills. I told him it was not an option. He put me on Tamoxifen. Under my insurance, it's free! What a nice surprise. So far, no intense side effects. Insane what they charge for some of these drugs.

Laurie. Great pictures!

I feel like I just took a trip to NY! Lovely photos. I would have to see some musicals, but you have probably seen those.

I have to find a new breast surgeon to check in with by April. My insurance changed their list of providers. I do like to see someone to check my scar. This will be three years for me, need a new mammo place too but that is easier.

No trips coming up, except a visit to Portland to see DD in late May. The Med cruise next year is taking up our travel budget but it will be worth it!

I went to the doctor yesterday and had a mammogram. Was told I have a tumor on my left breast. Doctors say they just want to watch it and see what happens. But I am freaking out!!! I have 3 young boys. I need to be here for. Should I demand a biopsy? Is there any holistic treatment I should try while waiting? What do you girls recommend?

Wifey1220, I would ask for a second opinion. If you don't think your doctor will give you a referral, find a gyn and just go. Unless you have had a biopsy or at least a scan, he can't know for certain it is a tumor. It could be just a cyst. It sounds like he thinks it could be something like that or he would be doing the biopsy.

For your own peace of mind, get another opinion. I won't tell you not to worry. I know you will, but it could very well be nothing bad.

Wifey1220, I would ask for a second opinion. If you don't think your doctor will give you a referral, find a gyn and just go. Unless you have had a biopsy or at least a scan, he can't know for certain it is a tumor. It could be just a cyst. It sounds like he thinks it could be something like that or he would be doing the biopsy.

For your own peace of mind, get another opinion. I won't tell you not to worry. I know you will, but it could very well be nothing bad.

Thank you I made an appt with my gyno. Family wants me to just get the biopsy. I had a mammogram and ultra sound yesterday. but I have been having pain for a year and a half now. I don't think I should wait 6 more months.

Wifey, I'm glad you made that appt! I just want to take a minute to tell you my experience....I did the wait and watch it thing - it didn't turn out well for me. I don't say that to scare you, and it does sound like you have already taken steps to have it checked, but just in case you are met with that same wait and watch it approach again, please keep insisting! More than likely it will turn out to be nothing......but, get that peace of mind. :hug:

The only thing I would add would be to eliminate the middle guy and go to a breast surgeon. I imagine they think it's benign or they would probably not want to watch it. If you look back a page or so there was someone else here who had a similar situation and I described would worrisome tumors are like. Good luck.

Wifey, yes I would ask the GYN to recommend a breast surgeon. Nothing wrong with even going to a second breast surgeon for a second opinion. That was my path.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter