• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dis Board predictions about Wonder dry dock

The Magic will end in San Juan in early May 2017, and it looks like the Wonder will be in Port Canaveral in late April. Either ship could do Alaska cruises in 2017, but it seems to me that the Transatlantic cruise is more likely to depart from Port Canaveral on the Wonder than from San Juan on the Magic. The Magic can sail in Alaska just fine without an Overlook [Outlook?] Cafe.
The Magic can only sail to Alaska if the new Panama Canal passage is open. The Wonder is currently the only DCL ship that is small enough totransit the existing canal.

The Magic can only sail to Alaska if the new Panama Canal passage is open. The Wonder is currently the only DCL ship that is small enough totransit the existing canal.
I assume that the Wonder will get the same extension in its 2016 dry dock that the Magic got in 2013, AND that the Panama Canal will be wider by the summer of 2017.

I'm hoping they'll do something to the pool deck to expand the teeny tiny water play area for toddlers.

That's a pretty expensive bet for DCL to make, given the past delays with the Canal. I imagine they will play it by ear (ha ha) based on progress on the Canal.

I agree. Doing a quick search it seems as the current completion date should be early 2016, so sailing the Alaska in 2017 with either the Magic or a larger Wonder SHOULD be doable, but I would expect Disney to wait until the new canal is actually opened before enlarging the Wonder. Just in case there are unexpected delays. I suppose if they add the ducktail and there are delays in the canal opening, they could always do a repositioning cruise that takes the long way around South America. I would do that cruise if I could get that much time off from work :-)

I agree. Doing a quick search it seems as the current completion date should be early 2016, so sailing the Alaska in 2017 with either the Magic or a larger Wonder SHOULD be doable, but I would expect Disney to wait until the new canal is actually opened before enlarging the Wonder. Just in case there are unexpected delays. I suppose if they add the ducktail and there are delays in the canal opening, they could always do a repositioning cruise that takes the long way around South America. I would do that cruise if I could get that much time off from work :-)
Fall 2017 cruises will probably be announced in June 2016. Surely DCL should know by then if the Panama Canal will be finished. If it isn't, and IF DCL were to sail around South America, it would probably take 6 weeks. When Mariner of the Seas moved from Port Canaveral to the west coast, it went around South America in three cruise segments. Given the fact that DCL prices new itineraries on the high side, I can only imagine how outrageous the price would be to sail on one of those cruises! :eek:

The new Concierge lounge on the Magic didn't replace Signals. It's a deck above it. It took over most of what's the equivalent space of the Outlook Cafe on the Wonder. I think that taking away 2/3 of the Outlook Cafe (on the Wonder) would be a real problem, as it's the only expansive indoor viewing area for the Alaska cruises.

Sorry meant Outlook but got the name wrong lol I always do with those too! The one that's always closed I should have written

Just maybe someone thought to give each ship its own unique character, the Fantasy does have a bit of a different feel than the Dream. Maybe, just for me, they will leave Parrot Cay and Route 66 on the Wonder and refresh instead of replace. There need to be a number of technical upgrades to the operations systems from the bridge to the engine rooms, they don't have to however change the character and beauty of the Wonder.

The Panama Canal is 93 % finished and the reason the Wonder missed her previously planned extended dry dock. Given that delay and the positive stability elements of the DuckTail, that seems a certain and beneficial addition. Cruising around the south horn would seem a financial improbability unless the ship were to be moved to the west coast for longer than a single season. Fingers crossed for the best of the Magic improvements while keeping some Wonder unique items.

We will be on the initial cruise on Oct 26 after the drydock so will be anxious to wee what has been done.

whoops thought this was about the DREAM I screwed up! we will be on the DREAM which is presently in drydock at Freeport. Most of the changes have been widely publicized but I am still looking forward to it! Sorry I had the wrong ship!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter