Dining Plan worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
for some it works out and for some it don't. Some are willing to pay ahead and some are not. For you and how you dine, it may not be worth it; for someone else it may.

This. :grin:

DH and I tried the dining plan once when it was just the two of us, and it was an epic fail. We're not dessert people, and don't snack a lot at Disney. Did we save money? Maybe, but for us it wasn't worth it. We don't get the dining plan now for most trips.

However, we took a trip with another couple and their daughter and did use the dining plan and it worked well for our purposes that trip. The husband is, well, frugal to the extreme. There's no way he would have shelled out for character dinners or pricier menu items if he was paying OOP. (They could afford them, he just doesn't see the need to spend that much on a meal.) So we told him food was included in the package...and didn't see the need to mention it was optional to add on the plan. He had a great time, and didn't worry about how much things cost. No idea if we saved money, but we definitely prevented stress and arguments, and had a much better trip for it.

To each his own...if you like the plan and feel like it benefits you in some way, get it, and if you don't, don't. :grin:

What's the convenience? You still have to swipe your card for every meal, right? How is OOP different in convenience compared to the dining plan?

If the spreadsheet seems inaccurate to you, there could be a couple reasons...

[*]It estimates costs based on averages of menu items, not an actual bill.
[*]You have to estimate things like appetizers and desserts, too.
[*]Peak plan costs aren't reflected.

The spreadsheet includes lots of variables in there. You have to make sure you're filling it out correctly. There's lots of gotchas that the spreadsheet points out that people may not realize. (The Hoop De Doo sometimes counts as TS and sometimes not.)

If you found a $43 coupon lying on the ground and it said, "This coupon is worth $43 if and only if you pay Disney up front for all food costs you intend to use, but if you deviate, this coupon may decline in value and/or surcharges will be added to your bill that may cause you to actually lose money by using this coupon," would you use it? I think not.

I filled it out fine. Im a techy and work from home. it wasnt tough to follow.

Frankly if I have to worry about that many variables I may as well do the old fashioned pen and paper method. I don't see it as the godsend you do, and that's fine. I adore the DXDP too... So we obviously have different opinions on things :)

And that convenience is?

I don't know about the others, but the dining plan will be convenient for my husband and I for a couple of reasons. First off, I like the idea of having everything paid ahead of time. I realize I could just put so much money into a savings account each week or buy a bunch of gift cards, but it's so much easier to just have it all paid for up front, at once.

On top of that, we are going to save money on the dining plan- we're doing the deluxe. We're planning two TS meals a day, early lunch and later dinner, with one being a signature, and we figure we'll use snack credits for a quick breakfast or in between meals if necessary. We need to spend approximately $100 a day each to break even. We should be able to do almost that with one signature TS alone, definitely when you add in the second TS. The snacks are easily just a bonus on top of that. We are looking forward to being able to get an appetizer, entree, and dessert as we love being able to try a lot of new things. I also love the idea of being able to get the most expensive thing on the menu if I want to and not have to worry how much more I have to spend to get it.

I'm not saying that the dining plan is for everyone. If you know you aren't going to eat all of the included courses, will use only a few meal credits for TS as opposed to CS, or tend to order the least expensive things on a menu, then no, the dining plan probably isn't your best bet cost-wise. That said, there are people out there that like the dining plan and have good reasons for it.

I don't know about the others, but the dining plan will be convenient for my husband and I for a couple of reasons. First off, I like the idea of having everything paid ahead of time. I realize I could just put so much money into a savings account each week or buy a bunch of gift cards, but it's so much easier to just have it all paid for up front, at once.

Do you think OOP means paying cash? You use your room key/admission card as a credit card. All the charges get sent to your hotel bill. It's virtually no different that what you have to do for the DDP. Instead of paying up front, you pay at the end.

On top of that, we are going to save money on the dining plan- we're doing the deluxe. We're planning two TS meals a day, early lunch and later dinner, with one being a signature, and we figure we'll use snack credits for a quick breakfast or in between meals if necessary. We need to spend approximately $100 a day each to break even. We should be able to do almost that with one signature TS alone, definitely when you add in the second TS. The snacks are easily just a bonus on top of that. We are looking forward to being able to get an appetizer, entree, and dessert as we love being able to try a lot of new things. I also love the idea of being able to get the most expensive thing on the menu if I want to and not have to worry how much more I have to spend to get it.

Please post your dining itinerary. Other people who want to do the deluxe plan will benefit from it.

The convenience of having it paid for before hand and not having to worry about how much you're spending.

Why would you worry if you know what your dining itinerary is? You'll know how much it costs before you go and you'll know if it's worthwhile. If you don't know when and where you'll be dining, then the DDP is worse, because you'll be worrying if you'll use it all.

Do you think OOP means paying cash? You use your room key/admission card as a credit card. All the charges get sent to your hotel bill. It's virtually no different that what you have to do for the DDP. Instead of paying up front, you pay at the end.

Please post your dining itinerary. Other people who want to do the deluxe plan will benefit from it.

Why would you worry if you know what your dining itinerary is? You'll know how much it costs before you go and you'll know if it's worthwhile. If you don't know when and where you'll be dining, then the DDP is worse, because you'll be worrying if you'll use it all.

I don't want to come home with a ton of credit card debt so I would rather pay for it all at once. Why do you have such issues with people who like the ddp?

DH, DS, DD and I would never eat enough to make any dining plan work BUT we love::yes::TIW. no pre-pay, no limits or restrictions to deal with; CMs get such a relaxed look on their face when we respond with TIW when they ask our dining plan. Over the many years we've gone to WDW, I realize things have probably gotten better, but I've witnessed too many meltdowns by adults over the credits and what is what and how many and how much :crazy2: It truly is not anything we would ever consider and I'm so grateful for the TIW option:goodvibes

I'm not saying that the dining plan is for everyone. If you know you aren't going to eat all of the included courses, will use only a few meal credits for TS as opposed to CS, or tend to order the least expensive things on a menu, then no, the dining plan probably isn't your best bet cost-wise. That said, there are people out there that like the dining plan and have good reasons for it.

Agreed! We're using the DxDP in August and have 9 character meals(including CRT), 4 signature dining meals, and 6 TS meals planned for our trip. I had a blast making the ADR's, our trip was paid for months ago, and we have a very fast paced schedule day to day, and one of the best things about my husband's days of is that we can sit at the table and enjoy dinner together. We literally take over an hour just to sit and eat and crack up at the table with our kids on the rare evenings that we're all home. Dining is probably just as exciting for us as the parks! I'm pumped for DxDP :)

I think I've already stated pretty reasonably my reasons for knowing the dining plan will work for my situation without going into things further. I'm sure that I could come up with a dozen ways to save money on the plan, while you could come up with just as many ways that someone wouldn't. We like using the plan, others may not depending on the situation.

At this point, I'm just going to stop feeding the troll.

I think I've already stated pretty reasonably my reasons for knowing the dining plan will work for my situation without going into things further. I'm sure that I could come up with a dozen ways to save money on the plan, while you could come up with just as many ways that someone wouldn't. We like using the plan, others may not depending on the situation.

At this point, I'm just going to stop feeding the troll.

:thumbsup2

Jonathan Swift said:

I know it's worthwhile for me. I don't care how you spend your money and you shouldn't worry about how I spend mine.

I don't want to come home with a ton of credit card debt so I would rather pay for it all at once.

Assuming you don't have the money to pay for dining, which is the assumption you're making, wouldn't it be worse to pay for it sooner? That would mean you'd have to pay that interest on your credit card debt even longer.

Why do you have such issues with people who like the ddp?

I don't have a problem with people who like the DDP. I have a problem with people with who make claims then avoid explaining or scream troll when pressed for an explanation.

Aside from one person who posted their 6-day itinerary of 3 adults and 1 child yielding a whopping $2.50 per person per day savings, I haven't seen much hard evidence to back up any claims of why any of the DDPs are so great.

Assuming you don't have the money to pay for dining, which is the assumption you're making, wouldn't it be worse to pay for it sooner? That would mean you'd have to pay that interest on your credit card debt even longer.

I don't have a problem with people who like the DDP. I have a problem with people with who make claims then avoid explaining or scream troll when pressed for an explanation.

Aside from one person who posted their 6-day itinerary of 3 adults and 1 child yielding a whopping $2.50 per person per day savings, I haven't seen much hard evidence to back up any claims of why any of the DDPs are so great.

I don't have to assume anything. I had the money to pay for it all then so I did it. You have issues that is for sure.

I have read through this thread with great interest. I see posters who are big fans of the plans irritated because J. Swift, and other posters, are presenting the flaws in the plans. There are flaws. Because someone is explaining what they are, does not make them a troll.

Oddly enough my DH participated in a focus group at WDW years ago about dining plan options. He ended up with a $100 gift card for his time. At that time the option he voted for was essentially the regular dining plan, one TS, one CS, and a snack, tax and tips. Fast forward a couple of years and they roll out the plan.

We are loyal Disney Parks visitors with close to 30 trips to WDW and we have also visited DLR. I love the parks/resorts but there is no way that I would pay the kind of money that the company charges for the DDP. For mediocre food. Really. I just don't think most meals are any better than average.

We have a system that works for us. We have a few TS meals and eat at some favorite places offsite. The food is better, the prices are better, we are happier. The food is not a big component of our trips. The resort and parks are our focus. DH would rather stay deluxe than eat all meals at WDW and I would too.

I personally think the DDP was a pretty good deal when it was first offered, then things were taken away and prices were raised. Some people might still get value from it, but believe me, the vast majority of guests take a loss on the plan. And the company is making a killing on it. I agree with a PP, it is a tool, just like ME, to keep guests spending all their money on property.

Another thing that make guests feel good about the plans are the awesome Disney marketing. If the ads say you will save 20% on food, then by God, it's true! Well everything WDW ads say aren't always true. And there are ways to save money, but FOR MOST GUESTS, the plans aren't it.

As far as the "paid for in advance" aspect, our trips are always paid for in advance :confused3. I don't use the plan. It is possible without the plan.

I have read through this thread with great interest. I see posters who are big fans of the plans irritated because J. Swift, and other posters, are presenting the flaws in the plans. There are flaws. Because someone is explaining what they are, does not make them a troll.

Oddly enough my DH participated in a focus group at WDW years ago about dining plan options. He ended up with a $100 gift card for his time. At that time the option he voted for was essentially the regular dining plan, one TS, one CS, and a snack, tax and tips. Fast forward a couple of years and they roll out the plan.

We are loyal Disney Parks visitors with close to 30 trips to WDW and we have also visited DLR. I love the parks/resorts but there is no way that I would pay the kind of money that the company charges for the DDP. For mediocre food. Really. I just don't think most meals are any better than average.

We have a system that works for us. We have a few TS meals and eat at some favorite places offsite. The food is better, the prices are better, we are happier. The food is not a big component of our trips. The resort and parks are our focus. DH would rather stay deluxe than eat all meals at WDW and I would too.

I personally think the DDP was a pretty good deal when it was first offered, then things were taken away and prices were raised. Some people might still get value from it, but believe me, the vast majority of guests take a loss on the plan. And the company is making a killing on it. I agree with a PP, it is a tool, just like ME, to keep guests spending all their money on property.

Another thing that make guests feel good about the plans are the awesome Disney marketing. If the ads say you will save 20% on food, then by God, it's true! Well everything WDW ads say aren't always true. And there are ways to save money, but FOR MOST GUESTS, the plans aren't it.

As far as the "paid for in advance" aspect, our trips are always paid for in advance :confused3. I don't use the plan. It is possible without the plan.

Not irritated that J. Swift is pointing out the "flaws" I am irritated that J seems to think everyone who likes it must be wrong or stupid. Does it work for everyone nope but it works for some.

I know I could save money without the plan, I know I'm not saving 20%. I still love the dining plan, but I also plan my trip around the food.

Not irritated that J. Swift is pointing out the "flaws" I am irritated that J seems to think everyone who likes it must be wrong or stupid. Does it work for everyone nope but it works for some.

I didn't read him saying anyone was wrong or stupid. The question asked was is the plan worth it. To fully answer that both good points and bad should be discussed so folks can make up their own minds. It's just debating. I'm not sure why you choose to use quotation marks around flaws. Does that mean you think there are none?

I know I could save money without the plan, I know I'm not saving 20%. I still love the dining plan, but I also plan my trip around the food.

Great! I love good food. If that was the focus of my trip I would probably choose a different destination. There are much better places to eat at much better prices.

See, the money saving part of trips are very important to me because we travel relatively often and if I can go for a lower cost then I can take another trip sooner. That is why we like to buy APs. Room discounts make it easier to return as well.

;)
kevschickee said:

No perhaps just some people must be stupid or wrong.;)

kevschickee said:
I don't have to assume anything. I had the money to pay for it all then so I did it. You have issues that is for sure.

When you used the word debt you implied you don't have the money to pay for trip, in some people's opinion. And perhaps you shouldn't take personal shots at people? That's not very Disneyish nor very mature. Telling people they have issues? You seem to be going tit for tat with anyone who posts here who differs with you. Perhaps the pot calling the kettle black?

bdklein said:
When you used the word debt you implied you don't have the money to pay for trip, in some people's opinion. And perhaps you shouldn't take personal shots at people? That's not very Disneyish nor very mature. Telling people they have issues? You seem to be going tit for tat with anyone who posts here who differs with you. Perhaps the pot calling the kettle black?

Are you kidding??? It is J. Swift going tit for tat as you call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter