Dining Plan worth it?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Turtletyson, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevschickee

kevschickee DIS Veteran

The convenience is I don't have to carry around the money. I like knowing my meals are paid for and I can plan my spending money better. Why are you so against people being for the ddp wow

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kevschickee

kevschickee DIS Veteran

You can't worry about the what ifs. You have to pay for park tickets but what if you can't go because you are sick? It's the same thing.

4. Jonathan Swift

Jonathan Swift I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

This isn't a matter of preference. It's math. Either it's cheaper or it's not. Those are facts, not opinions. Now, claiming the DDP is more convenient is an opinion, so I can't claim a person is "wrong." But I would like to understand the rationale. I just don't get how having to pay for everything in advance and keep track of points and worry about exceptions to rules, and remember when BOG is CS and when it's TS and when the Whoop De Doo is allowed on the plan and when it isn't could ever be considered convenient. I could be missing something, so please explain it to me.

5. Jonathan Swift

You don't have to carry around money. You use your room key for purchases or did Disney stop that?

6. bdklein

bdklein DIS Veteran

You aere not the only one-trust me.

7. bdklein

bdklein DIS Veteran

Very well said!!!

8. martinezmom3

martinezmom3 Mouseketeer

Preference, most certainly. Someone posted that their numbers showed $43 savings, but are the roasted because there are ten what ifs that could stop that from happening. If I lived my life on what ifs, I'd be afraid to even open my eyes in the morning. And, if someone prefers to pay everything off in advance, why can't that be their prerogative? My best friend loves pedicures and manicures, I personally think she's nuts. I would never spend that much money on my nails,, however feels like I'm nuts,,,she earns her money and feels like it's relaxing....I don't try to talk her out of it, it's her money. Is my way cheaper, yes,,,can I put a monetary price on her stress relief, no. Only each family can decide their value on the dining plan.

9. bdklein

bdklein DIS Veteran

I believe I have stated it in my prevous postings but I can repost if necessary. Or send me a PM.

10. bdklein

bdklein DIS Veteran

If you are sick at the parks on your trip. Sorry for the ambiguity.

And you do need tickets to get into the park-you don't need a Dining Plan to eat.

11. bdklein

bdklein DIS Veteran

True, but people (and Disney) go on about the benefits of the Plan without the drawbacks. Just like Magcial Express are a way to get you to stay onsite, the Dining Plans are a way to get you to eat onsite and not stray elsewhere.

12. kevschickee

kevschickee DIS Veteran

Why should people have to state the draw backs? Maybe they have none?

13. martinezmom3

martinezmom3 Mouseketeer

I think that's true with any company. The point is to make people use your product, and it's the consumers choice.

14. Jonathan Swift

You're mixing two things... If you did the math and you come out ahead, and you're relatively sure you're going to stick to your plan, that's awesome. I'm not going to chastise anyone for saving money. Also, I wouldn't argue with someone who forgoes the minimal savings because of the penalty if the plan is deviated.

I would argue that a person who DIDN'T try to make a good estimate and just assumes they're saving money is silly, because the numbers rarely work out. But what's really incredible to me are the people who admit the plan is more money, but claim they still want it are suffering from a form of cognitive dissonance on a scale I've not seen before.

15. bdklein

bdklein DIS Veteran

And then they complain (not all) how expensive the trip was or how they had all these leftover credits and the end of their trip.

16. alisha123

alisha123 Mouseketeer

Bravo great perspective

17. goofy4prez

goofy4prez A guy can love Disney and still keep his man card!

Life if full of what ifs. What if you pay for your airfare, book your Disney trip, and the day you leave you become extremly ill and are rushed to the hospital. If you didn't purchase insurance, your out all of your money. If you purchase insurance and nothing happens, you spent money you didn't need. Example of what ifs.

Again, I am not attacking you, for some it works out and for some it don't. Some are willing to pay ahead and some are not. For you and how you dine, it may not be worth it; for someone else it may.

18. kevschickee

kevschickee DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2

19. BlackMagicWoman

BlackMagicWoman Mouseketeer

The justification to lose money because someone might get sick makes no sense to me. I paid for a whole vacation and someone might get sick. The idea that I don't know my own or my child's eating habits is bizarre. My daughter isn't ordering the chicken. She's ordering the steak if its an option. Every. Single. Time. I'm ordering dessert everytime. You know why? I like dessert and I order it every time I go to eat anywhere. Even in Japanese restaurants when half the time, their dessert sucks. I work I'm finance so of course I did a spreadsheet. Seriously. OOP would cost me $385 before I ate a single snack, VS $393 for the DDP.

20. kris4360

kris4360 DIS Veteran

That's what I love more than anything is the convenience!

21. Jonathan Swift

And that convenience is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.