dining dress code

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally stay completely and totally out of these threads and just read them for kicks. But I feel the need to point out something that hasn't been mentioned in many of the most recent discussions about the dress code. DCL might request that no shorts be worn, but in their own promotional material for the Dream, they clearly show families wearing shorts in the dining rooms. And they aren't pictures of real families that they are showing - they are drawings/depictions of people. (And no, I'm not gonna spend the time to go find the particular pictures I'm thinking of and posting them here - I just know I've seen them and that they HAVE been posted on this board in the past).

If DCL really didn't want people to wear shorts to dinner, then they really ought not promote it with their advertising. The impression that MOST people would get from looking at those promotional materials is that the atmosphere for the dining rooms is casual, and that shorts are completely and totally acceptable.

Yes, their fine print in other materials may mention a request to NOT wear shorts, but from my perspective, it's their fault for the conflicting information out there. It's not the fault of people here (like us) that A)prefer a more laid-back, casual dress code on vacation or B)are not bothered in the least by folks who choose to wear shorts to dinner on vacation. DCL's own promotional materials would support that casual point of view - not contradict it.

Don't really feel like I've expressed myself all that well, but you get the gist...

To the OP (that is original poster), just use the search function, search for "shorts" and "dinner", and look for the threads with the lock next to them. Those were the heated threads that got shut down by a moderator, you will see both sides present their case very well. The term beat a dead horse comes to mind.

You will find opinions that range from "do whatever the hell you want, its your cruise" to "I cannot disgest my food, get explosive diarhea, and want to jump overboard when I see someone in shorts" and everywhere in between.

Enjoy your cruise! :thumbsup2

Love your answer! :rotfl:

I bolded the important part. DCL makes the rules, and their rules allow you to wear shorts if you choose. Period. If they wanted to have a strict dress code for the main dining rooms (like the do for Palo and Remy) they could, because like you pointed out - they make the rules.

Now, your analogy about being a guest in someone's house and not smoking doesn't really fit. You're not a guest of DCL. You're a customer. Big difference.

And while it is a certainty that DCL requests no shorts, it's also a certainty that plenty of people choose to wear them and it's also a certainty that they are allowed in the main dining rooms.

True. In the past, DCL has not enforced this rule. There are MANY rules that DCL has not enforced. But what about them now enforcing the arrival times to port? Many past DCL cruisers who've gotten to port early when their arrival time said 1pm were totally allowed to check in and board earlier than that, and not all of them are DIS board members who read the posts here and know that this rule is going to start being enforced. So many people in August will probably show up at whatever time they feel like it simply because they have in the past and will be met with the cold hard reality that they'll have to wait until their check-in time (which COULD be several hours) before they can check in.

Wouldn't it SUCK if DCL decided to start enforcing the no shorts in the dining rooms rule?! If a family, KNOWING that the rule says no shorts, ONLY packs shorts for their family, and therefore doesn't have any pants, skirts or dresses, were to get turned away because they're wearing shorts?! Chances are, it won't happen. But it could. And that would really, really suck if a family only brought shorts for their cruise and were turned away from the main dining halls.

The point is, you never know when DCL is going to start enforcing their rules. ;)

We can also say with certainty that DCL, permits guests to wear shorts to dinner.

They also permit people to save seats at the theater, jump in the pools, wear diapers in the pools, wear jeans at Palo, smoke in non-smoking areas, save loungers at the pool, take flash pictures and video tape in the theater, and much more. They have many rules on DCL that are not followed. Disney just has a tough time enforcing their own rules. Get some backbone DCL!

They also permit people to save seats at the theater, jump in the pools, wear diapers in the pools, wear jeans at Palo, smoke in non-smoking areas, save loungers at the pool, take flash pictures in the theater, and much more. They have many rules on DCL that are not followed. Disney just has a tough time enforcing their own rules. Get some backbone DCL!

With respect, that's sorta apples and oranges.

Several of the things you pointed out are black and white rules they have made. You are not supposed to save seats or smoke in non-smoking areas. Period. Those are rules, not requests.

The no shorts in the main dining rooms is not a rule, but clearly stated as a request.

Dress Code
The dress code for dinner changes nightly. Check the Personal Navigator—the Disney Cruise Line daily newsletter detailing all there is to see and do—for more information while onboard. However, in keeping with the elegant theme, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts whilst dining in Lumiere's for dinner.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/magic/dining/lumieres/

They also permit people to save seats at the theater, jump in the pools, wear diapers in the pools, wear jeans at Palo, smoke in non-smoking areas, save loungers at the pool, take flash pictures in the theater, and much more. They have many rules on DCL that are not followed. Disney just has a tough time enforcing their own rules. Get some backbone DCL!

This is true. If DCL simply enforced their rules, it would make life MUCH easier for everyone, especially the CMs. Sure, it'd be harder in the beginning, but it's REALLY hard when you get a CM who DOES try to enforce the rules when the majority of other CMs don't. It makes their jobs so much harder!

But if DCL simply started requiring that their managers enforce ALL DCL rules and requests, then not only would it streamline things to make them more uniform, but it'd also make cruising on DCL safer for ALL guests. :cool:

/pedestal

They also permit people to save seats at the theater, jump in the pools, wear diapers in the pools, wear jeans at Palo, smoke in non-smoking areas, save loungers at the pool, take flash pictures and video tape in the theater, and much more. They have many rules on DCL that are not followed. Disney just has a tough time enforcing their own rules. Get some backbone DCL!

All excellent points, but part of the confusion/frustration/disagreement when it comes to the dining code is that it really isn't a RULE, per say. It's a request, in fine print. And their promotional materials DON'T portray people jumping in pools, wearing jeans at Palo, smoking in non-smoking areas, etc.... As mentioned above, they DO portray families wearing shorts in the dining room.

With respect, that's sorta apples and oranges.

Several of the things you pointed out are black and white rules they have made. You are not supposed to save seats or smoke in non-smoking areas. Period. Those are rules, not requests.

The no shorts in the main dining rooms is not a rule, but clearly stated as a request.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/magic/dining/lumieres/

Whether it's a rule or request is a moot point, and simply a matter of semantics! The point is that DCL doesn't enforce their rules OR their requests, and if they'd simply enforce their policies (which could be both rules AND requests), then their cruises would be more streamlined with not as much variance as what you have now, and it'd also be safer and more enjoyable for ALL guests.

Whether you call it a rule or a request, it's still a policy that DCL would like their guests to follow. If you don't like that rule, then express your dissatisfaction by NOT cruising with them. But breaking the rules, requests or policies is just rude, IMO. It's a slap in the face to DCL. It's saying, "I don't really care WHAT you want me to do! I'm paying good money to go on your cruise and I'll do whatever the heck I want to do, including let my kids swim in Quiet Cove, let my babies swim in the pools, wear whatever I want to wear whenever I want to wear it, save seats in the theatres and lounge chairs in the pools, etc..." and that simply makes the cruise far less enjoyable for everyone else around. Like it or not, it does.

Whether it's a rule or request is a moot point, and simply a matter of semantics! The point is that DCL doesn't enforce their rules OR their requests, and if they'd simply enforce their policies (which could be both rules AND requests), then their cruises would be more streamlined with not as much variance as what you have now, and it'd also be safer and more enjoyable for ALL guests.

Whether you call it a rule or a request, it's still a policy that DCL would like their guests to follow. If you don't like that rule, then express your dissatisfaction by NOT cruising with them. But breaking the rules, requests or policies is just rude, IMO. It's a slap in the face to DCL. It's saying, "I don't really care WHAT you want me to do! I'm paying good money to go on your cruise and I'll do whatever the heck I want to do, including let my kids swim in Quiet Cove, let my babies swim in the pools, wear whatever I want to wear whenever I want to wear it, save seats in the theatres and lounge chairs in the pools, etc..." and that simply makes the cruise far less enjoyable for everyone else around. Like it or not, it does.

I look at it much differently than you. To me, a rule is something that you have to follow. It's mandatory. That's why it's a rule. I follow rules and expect others to do the same.

A request is different. Requests are not mandatory, and thus, it is left up to the customer to choose to abide by the request - or not.

DCL has the power and the right to change the no shorts request to a rule. If they do that before I cruise with them next year for my third cruise, I will comply and wear long pants to dinner each night. If they choose to leave it as an optional request, then I will probably do what I did on past cruises - wear long pants some nights and nice khaki shorts other nights, as I see fit.

I don't really know how things work at your house, but there IS a difference in mine between a rule and a request. And again, please see post #27. I would agree that DCL needs to be consistent with their enforcement of their rules. They also need to make their advertising consistent with their requests. (or vice versa... make their requests consistent with their advertising)

I look at it much differently than you. To me, a rule is something that you have to follow. It's mandatory. That's why it's a rule. I follow rules and expect others to do the same.

A request is different. Requests are not mandatory, and thus, it is left up to the customer to choose to abide by the request - or not.

DCL has the power and the right to change the no shorts request to a rule. If they do that before I cruise with them next year for my third cruise, I will comply and wear long pants to dinner each night. If they choose to leave it as an optional request, then I will probably do what I did on past cruises - wear long pants some nights and nice khaki shorts other nights, as I see fit.

So then, which of DCL's policies are rules and which ones are requests?! There are LOTS of things that people do on the ships that DCL has posted that are not allowed... and for the most part, DCL does not enforce these things. Now I don't know about the advertising... I haven't seen these pictures so I'm not sure about that. Perhaps they were showing people in the casual dining rooms or the quick service dining facilities and not in the main dining rooms? Again, I haven't seen these pictures, so I can't comment on that. But either way, who's job is it to determine which policies that DCL puts on their site are requests and which ones are rules?! Shouldn't they simply ALL be followed so that there's no confusion on what's a rule and what's a request?! :confused3

Then, there's no saying, "but DCL - that was a request you made! Not a rule!" when all of a sudden, they decide to enforce it like they are the port arrival times. ;)

Here is the difference between a request and a rule. All from the DCL Web site pages for the various dining rooms.

This is what it says regarding the Royal Palace on the Dream. I added the bold so you could easily tell the difference.
Dress Code
The dress code for dinner at Royal Palace changes daily. Check the Personal Navigator—the Disney Cruise Line daily newsletter detailing all there is to see and do—for more information while onboard. However, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts whilst dining in Royal Palace for dinner.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/dream/dining/royal-palace/

Here is what it says for Palo
Dress Code
At Palo, dress pants and shirt or jacket is required for men and a dress or pantsuit is required for women. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/dream/dining/palo/

Surely you can tell the difference between a rule (aka, saying NO shorts in Palo) versus what is a request (saying "you are requested" to not wear shorts in the Royal Palace), can't you?

Here is the difference between a request and a rule. All from the DCL Web site pages for the various dining rooms.

This is what it says regarding the Royal Palace on the Dream. I added the bold so you could easily tell the difference.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/dream/dining/royal-palace/

Here is what it says for Palo

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/dream/dining/palo/

Surely you can tell the difference between a rule (aka, saying NO shorts in Palo) versus what is a request (saying "you are requested" to not wear shorts in the Royal Palace), can't you?

So you're certain that nobody has EVER been allowed into Palo wearing jeans (perhaps with a collared shirt and jacket) or capris (like, for instance, nice ones)? You're sure?! ;) Because according to you, that's a requirement, and therefore, a rule. And rules are ALWAYS enforced on the DCL ships, right?! ;)

OK - for all of you who say that wearing shorts is just a request and you are OK with it...
If I choose to show up to dinner in my Daisy Dukes with my everything hanging out, that is OK for you??? Even if I have to turn around and pick something up and that exposes my bare cheeks to your child???
Or if my (thank goodness he isn't!!!) 300+ pound hubby wants to show up in his gym shorts that barely strain to keep his 'hangy down parts' in check, that's OK with you??? Even if he accidentally exposes himself when he sits spread legged as guys do???

Extreme examples, yes. However they are all fashion faux pas that can occur when shorts are worn. Not pants.
IMO - 'no shorts' in the dining rooms keeps the level of attire attractive for all. No need to determine that THAT pair of shorts are fine, but THOSE are not! ALL shorts are NOT acceptable in the dining rooms.
There are plenty of casual places to eat onboard if you don't want to get out of your shorts and bathing suits. The dining room is not the place for it.

So you're certain that nobody has EVER been allowed into Palo wearing jeans (perhaps with a collared shirt and jacket) or capris (like, for instance, nice ones)? You're sure?! ;)

You're moving the goal posts.

We were talking about the difference between a request and a rule as it applies to shorts in the main dining rooms. The discussion was never about jeans in Palo.

If you want to go there, though, I would never wear jeans to Palo, because it is stated as a rule. I would (and have) worn shorts to the MDRs because that is clearly stated as a request.

Maybe I could get away with jeans in Palo. I don't know. That's not the point anyone in this thread is discussing. It's about shorts in the main dining rooms.

OK - for all of you who say that wearing shorts is just a request and you are OK with it...
If I choose to show up to dinner in my Daisy Dukes with my everything hanging out, that is OK for you??? Even if I have to turn around and pick something up and that exposes my bare cheeks to your child???
Or if my (thank goodness he isn't!!!) 300+ pound hubby wants to show up in his gym shorts that barely strain to keep his 'hangy down parts' in check, that's OK with you??? Even if he accidentally exposes himself when he sits spread legged as guys do???

Extreme examples, yes. However they are all fashion faux pas that can occur when shorts are worn. Not pants.
IMO - 'no shorts' in the dining rooms keeps the level of attire attractive for all. No need to determine that THAT pair of shorts are fine, but THOSE are not! ALL shorts are NOT acceptable in the dining rooms.
There are plenty of casual places to eat onboard if you don't want to get out of your shorts and bathing suits. The dining room is not the place for it.

So you're point is that it's impossible to look trashy while wearing long pants? I think we both know that's not the case at all. A person can look perfectly fine and acceptable in nice shorts, just as the same person can look trashy in a pair of crappy, wrinkled, or otherwise unacceptable long pants.

So you're point is that it's impossible to look trashy while wearing long pants? I think we both know that's not the case at all. A person can look perfectly fine and acceptable in nice shorts, just as the same person can look trashy in a pair of crappy, wrinkled, or otherwise unacceptable long pants.

No. My point is that it eliminates the debate of whether or not one pair of shorts is acceptable over another to follow the policy.
What if I happen to think that my Daisy Dukes are FABULOUS?? Just like you REALLY like your cargo shorts??? We can both wear our shorts in appropriate areas of the ship. Trashy is an opinion. Policy is stated.

You're moving the goal posts.

We were talking about the difference between a request and a rule as it applies to shorts in the main dining rooms. The discussion was never about jeans in Palo.

If you want to go there, though, I would never wear jeans to Palo, because it is stated as a rule. I would (and have) worn shorts to the MDRs because that is clearly stated as a request.

Maybe I could get away with jeans in Palo. I don't know. That's not the point anyone in this thread is discussing. It's about shorts in the main dining rooms.

Maybe YOU would never wear jeans to Palo. But others might. So where does it end?! Why can't it end with: "The dress code for dinner changes nightly. Check the Personal Navigator—the Disney Cruise Line daily newsletter detailing all there is to see and do—for more information while onboard. However, in keeping with the elegant theme, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts whilst dining in Lumiere's for dinner." There. They requested that shorts, tank tops and the like not be worn. Why can't THAT be the standard that is to be followed? Why does it matter that it's a request and not a rule? (according to you, that is). Why does 11 not REALLY mean 11 in the Edge? And 14 doesn't REALLY mean 14 in the Vibe? Why does Adults only in Quiet Cove not REALLY mean ADULTS only (meaning 18 and up)? Why should there be differences? DCL has stated no shorts in the main dining rooms. Whether it was a rule, a request, a policy, a standard, a commandment, a beg or a behest, why shouldn't it be followed regardless?!

Maybe YOU would never wear jeans to Palo. But others might. So where does it end?! Why can't it end with: "The dress code for dinner changes nightly. Check the Personal Navigator—the Disney Cruise Line daily newsletter detailing all there is to see and do—for more information while onboard. However, in keeping with the elegant theme, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts whilst dining in Lumiere's for dinner." There. They requested that shorts, tank tops and the like not be worn. Why can't THAT be the standard that is to be followed? Why does it matter that it's a request and not a rule? (according to you, that is). Why does 11 not REALLY mean 11 in the Edge? And 14 doesn't REALLY mean 14 in the Vibe? Why does Adults only in Quiet Cove not REALLY mean ADULTS only (meaning 18 and up)? Why should there be differences? DCL has stated no shorts in the main dining rooms. Whether it was a rule, a request, a policy, a standard, a commandment, a beg or a behest, why shouldn't it be followed regardless?!

Because there is a difference between a request and a rule. At least to me. If you want to adhere to every request that is made to you, that is your prerogative.

I think DCL knew what they were doing when they made it a clear rule that there are no shorts in Palo, but merely requested it in the MDRs. They clearly want to give people the choice.

This next bit is all my conjecture. They also want to keep it somewhat classy,
even in the MDRs. To me, since it is requested that there are no shorts in the dining room, I read between the lines for that to mean, "Look, we're going to allow shorts, but keep them nice, please." I may be way off base, but based on what I have seen through personal experience on my past two Disney cruises, I think that is pretty close to the truth.

Bottom line, DCL has made it optional to wear shorts by stating that as a request. They allow loads and loads of people to dress this way cruise after cruise after cruise. If that bothers you, perhaps you should choose a different, more stodgy cruise line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter