Dimes For Disney

Yea! Or if you have kids or easily amused nieces/nephews make it a game. Have them roll them for you, maybe for cake or something. I thought rolling coins was great fun as a kid, myself :).
That's exactly what I was thinking! Lol we have 4, if they are any type of motivated to go to Disney(and they are!) those coins will be rolled in a heartbeat!

But that just gave me another idea too.. Dimes for Disney could be a really good incentive for little kids to get chores done. Lol a dollars worth of dimes for cleaning the toilet, for instance.. Hmmmm I'm liking this thread! :)

I saved a whole large plastic container with all different coins only to realize when I wanted to cash them in,
Banks in my area don't except coins anymore unless you roll all of them yourself.
Also Coinstar takes 11 % off the total. So instead of using my coins to help to paying some on our trip,
I have been using them for buying one and two small items at store that I need during the week and using the pay yourself machines.
I may have to suck it up and go to coinstar for all the small coins.
Last year I was able to use coinstar for Southwest airlines but this year SW air is over priced and I had to book with Frontier.

thats crazy because they will have to taken them out of the paper rolls to be in the plastic sealed rolls.

I would contact banks a little farther away and see if they have a change counter

thats crazy because they will have to taken them out of the paper rolls to be in the plastic sealed rolls.

I would contact banks a little farther away and see if they have a change counter
All banks in my area are getting rid of counting machines, I checked with several and I think that is going to be a trend that will eventually spread across the country. I'm not sure if each individual bank re-rolls the coins or sends them off to somewhere to do this job for them. Banks are trying to discourage coin use. I don't know what the future holds but I wonder how much longer physical money will be used?

I haven't heard about discouraging coin usage and I have 4 banks as members of the chamber of commerce

I use Coinstar, but just for pennies and extra change that was left after my kiddos roll the change. I just went on their website and see that they offer Amazon, Best Buy and Southwest Airlines gift cards. I don't recall seeing Southwest the last time I used Coinstar (about a month ago). But Coinstar might be a good way to purchase air fare if you are using Southwest.

I use Coinstar, but just for pennies and extra change that was left after my kiddos roll the change. I just went on their website and see that they offer Amazon, Best Buy and Southwest Airlines gift cards. I don't recall seeing Southwest the last time I used Coinstar (about a month ago). But Coinstar might be a good way to purchase air fare if you are using Southwest.
I got used coins last year at Coinstar for Southwest Airlines but this year their airfare doubled in cost and we are having to fly Frontier air for 1/2 the cost RT. I was disappointed with SW Airlines, it has been our favorite for over 10 years.

I'm excited!! I bought a 2 liter bottle of root beer and am trying to get the grandmunchkins to drink it lol. I went through my change vase and I have quite a few dimes to add after its emptied, cleaned and dries. I think when I get change from now on, I'm going to ask for dimes!

Yea! Or if you have kids or easily amused nieces/nephews make it a game. Have them roll them for you, maybe for cake or something. I thought rolling coins was great fun as a kid, myself :).

I did it at work so I didnt use "my own time" lol. Will do that again.

I think when I get change from now on, I'm going to ask for dimes!

What a great idea! I will do this from now on too! Thank you! Im going to Vegas in May for my 50th birthday with my dh and plan on trying to fill this up.

Thanks.

My bank said for unrolled change it had to be sent off to a counting facility and the money would be deposited into my account in "a few days". I just got an AMazon gift card from Coinstar intstead.

I have a 2 liter coke bottle for dimes, first time using it so not sure how much it will be by the time our trip comes around. We also use a decent size piggy bank for all of our other loose change, got $105 out of that one last time even though it was only half full. My bank has a free coin sorting machine. We just walk in select checking or savings and dump it all in

My daughter is still going strong on her Dimes for Disney kick. While I was talking to my grandma (the kids' great-grandma) on the phone Tuesday afternoon I mentioned that my youngest was specifically saving dimes and if she wanted to make a little girl's day she could give her a few dimes. Before I go on with the story, let me say that I was not panhandling on behalf of my daughter, Grammy is always giving the kids something little when we visit and asks what they're into, so I mentioned that dimes would be a good present for her. So when we visited yesterday after their dentist appointments, Grammy brought out her change dish and let the kids dig through it for dimes. My five year old was so excited!!! It is a bit discouraging though that even half a sandwich baggie of dimes only raised the level by about 1/4 inch. Still, that gives me more time to figure out the financials I guess. I think I could probably save up enough cash in the next 2 years to be able to take us to Disney, so I'm loosely planning on taking my daughter for her 7th birthday, which is also the first time we took her older brother, for his 7th birthday.

Went to Target and Krogers today. Asked for dimes and got 14!! Woo hoo!!!

Awesome! I'm planning a trip to the craft store today and I'm planning to do the same thing. Did the cashier look at you funny when you asked for dimes? : )

Awesome! I'm planning a trip to the craft store today and I'm planning to do the same thing. Did the cashier look at you funny when you asked for dimes? : )

They did, so I told them why I was collecting dimes, how much money you could potentially have if you fill up the bottle and they both said they were going to start saving dimes, lol. One for a couch, one for a stereo. :sunny:

Today I'm staying home, so, no dimes. :(

What a cute idea, I usually save up all my change each month and take it to the bank and get ~$20-30 dollars. I could never be patient enough to fill up a whole two liter bottle lol, so I just now switched to a bigger coin container and put a little sign that says Disney Savings with a Mickey head and will put all my change/extra dollars and Disney gift cards in it.

We used to save up all of our loose change and cash it in either for Christmas or vacation, but with using debit/credit cards the last few years hasn't been much. I'm going to start paying in cash for alot more stuff again and see how much I can get saved up for our next trip- we're planning on going back for Thanksgiving 2017. I'm going to decorate up a container tonight :earsgirl: Plus, I'm a sahm but I sell on ebay- so I'm going to see if I can fund our whole trip between the change and ebay. :tink: So excited about planning and loving hearing everyone's ideas & plans!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter