Dimes For Disney

Wow, I guess I'm lucky we have a coin counter at our credit union. I never realized some banks charge for this!

I try to empty my wallet of all change at least once a week, but I always forget. Unless I'm at the store, & I'm staring at the change in my wallet. And I think "oh yeah, I have to empty this". Then I get home, & forget again. It's a vicious cycle.

Wow, I guess I'm lucky we have a coin counter at our credit union. I never realized some banks charge for this!

I try to empty my wallet of all change at least once a week, but I always forget. Unless I'm at the store, & I'm staring at the change in my wallet. And I think "oh yeah, I have to empty this". Then I get home, & forget again. It's a vicious cycle.

We generally collect our change for a year and use it for whatever vacation we are taking. It generally equals about $75; I like the Dimes for Disney bottle just because it's different and fun. Thinking about doing this to encourage the kids to help out--so thanks OP!

We also belong to a credit union that has a free coin counter. So glad for this. Overall I love being part of a credit union :)

Our bank has a free coin counting machine, too. Just dump your coins in & it prints out a slip- you take that to the teller and tell them if you want to deposit it in your account or if you want it in cash. Our bank is pretty awesome though- they have free coffee & fresh baked cookies out all the time for the customers- a lobby w/ free wi-fi & a tv- a small kids playing area w/ a few toys....

My ds collects coins & the tellers save anything "cool" or different for him- my dh takes him on Friday's and the tellers show him what they have for him- usually president dollar coins, jkf or eisenhower coins, $2 bills, sometimes the older silver quarters or dimes...lol...he looks forward to going every week.

I went to a garage sale last week that had 2 little kids selling lemonade and cookies. The kids informed me that the money raised from the garage sale and lemonade stand was going towards their Disney trip. Their little sale sign said drinks .50, cookies .50, all proceeds going for a trip to Disney World. Then right next to the sign was an empty Simply Lemonade juice container with quarters and a few dollar bills. I noticed a couple of people stopping at the table on the way out to get a cup of lemonade, giving them a dollar and telling them to keep the change. I gave them $1.00 on my way out too. I love to support entrepreneurs and I thought the whole garage sale idea was a great way to get the kids involved in helping to raise funds for Disney.

I just made my containers to start collecting up my change for WDW :)

I get discouraged easily by big goals, when I don't see fast enough progress- so I made a small one to start for the dimes and then a larger one (one my son's old toy containers- about the size of a 2L bottle) that I'll put all of my other change (except dimes) and $1's. Bonus is as I fill them, I get to make more little Disney containers around and have constant reminders to stay on track & keep saving to get back to WDW faster :earsgirl:

I'm not used to uploading photos on here, so forgive me if they don't come out right

DSCN4793.JPG DSCN4804.JPG

I recently re-purposed an old wide mouth water bottle into a Dimes for Disney jug. The problem is, we hardly ever use cash for anything because then we'd be missing out on the fabulous credit card rewards that we love to earn! But DH sometimes comes home with some change and we did have a glass mug that we'd put loose change into; whenever we cashed it out full it would be about $50. So after about two weeks of harping on the Dimes for Disney thing with the family, I just said oh heck, let's just dump any change we have into it! So it is no longer exclusively for dimes, but is just Change for Disney! It should get us a Disney gift card for around $50 by the time we go to DLR. I'm not picky......I'll take any and all money towards Disney!

I just made my containers to start collecting up my change for WDW :)

I get discouraged easily by big goals, when I don't see fast enough progress- so I made a small one to start for the dimes and then a larger one (one my son's old toy containers- about the size of a 2L bottle) that I'll put all of my other change (except dimes) and $1's. Bonus is as I fill them, I get to make more little Disney containers around and have constant reminders to stay on track & keep saving to get back to WDW faster :earsgirl:

I'm not used to uploading photos on here, so forgive me if they don't come out right

View attachment 178782 View attachment 178783

Adorable!!!!!

Fun ideas!! In my area, each Coinstar seems to have different gift card options. We drive past a few in order to go to one that has the option we want.

I saw that idea on Pinterest too. I see a lot of neat ideas on there for saving money for whatever you may be doing. I am going for my 25th birthday in March and already saving changing. I don't use cash much, but I am not making sure I get cash every week, so I can save the change and dollar bills.

Makes me want to start using cash again. With cards I never have change anymore. On a different savings note, I use both Ibotta and Shopkick for saving towards our trips and other expenses. Everything helps.

When my sons were younger, each week my husband & I would split all our change between them and if they could count it, they could keep it. By the time we took our 1st Disney trip about 2 years later, each of them had over $100 in their jars. We no longer give them our weekly change so last fall I decided I'd start keeping it myself. Every weekend I put our change in a Disney World popcorn bucket. It's only about 1/4 full but I love adding to it. We had a yard sale this past weekend & I added LOTS of quarters :)

Makes me want to start using cash again. With cards I never have change anymore. On a different savings note, I use both Ibotta and Shopkick for saving towards our trips and other expenses. Everything helps.

OMG I JUST found out about Shopkick last weekend. Where have I been?? I love it!

One prominent bank in my area that was known for the free coin counting machines shut them all down. There were discrepancies between the amounts counted versus what people put in, so now a lawsuit has even been threatened. So the trend to shut down these machines may spread, unless other types of machines are more reliably accurate.

One prominent bank in my area that was known for the free coin counting machines shut them all down. There were discrepancies between the amounts counted versus what people put in, so now a lawsuit has even been threatened. So the trend to shut down these machines may spread, unless other types of machines are more reliably accurate.

I saw a Jeff Rossen news story on this recently. Seems that all the Coinstars were accurate but the TD Banks Penny Arcade were wrong consistently. Sometimes a little (5-50 cents) while others were off a lot (over $40!). And never in the customer's favor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter