Difference between TSM & Space Ranger Spin?

mr potatoe head is interactive? i guess if you call listening to a pre-recorded anamatronic it is. its nice and all but i wouldnt call it interactive.

I think people get what I mean. No need to nit pick. It's neat if you've never seen it and makes the wait a bit more worthwhile.

Yes prerecorded but I have read that a CM can pick whats playing to make it seem like its "live".

Interesting! I have heard him say some pretty specific things to guests, but Disney is all about technological wonderment, so it doesn't surprise me much. :goodvibes

My husband and I both liked Buzz better! Yes, the two rides are different, but we cannot understand why everyone goes so crazy over TSM.
Finally. Someone else that feels as I do. Don't get the craze over TSM. Buzz we do several times. I could skip (and have) TSM and be perfectly happy.

Interesting! I have heard him say some pretty specific things to guests, but Disney is all about technological wonderment, so it doesn't surprise me much. :goodvibes

yah, i am pretty sure don rickles is not at disney world everyday talking to guests through mr potatoe head. as someone suggested, they probably just have tons of pre-recorded actions and can play them to appear its interacting with guests.

No, I think they're very different.

By this logic then BTM, SM, EE & RnR are the same ride - all rollercoasters, right?

Tritto.

They are both attractions where you "shoot" stuff. That's about where the similarity ends for me.

TSM is similar but it is a high tech version of Space Ranger Spin with 3D graphics. It is also not a constant loading ride, the cars stop and start, which is part of why it always has such long lines.

bwang123 said:
yah, i am pretty sure don rickles is not at disney world everyday talking to guests through mr potatoe head. as someone suggested, they probably just have tons of pre-recorded actions and can play them to appear its interacting with guests.

Because Im sure there are no voice actors that can do an similar impression of Don Rickles I mean look at Turtle Talk Im sure thats the EXACT same actor that voiced him in the movie...NOT! Of,course Im not saying I know for a fact bc I dont but Id say it could be a possiblity,no? :D

Yeah they are nothing alike with the exception they are from the same movie.

I love them both equally but will ride Buzz a couple of times because i am not waiting 2 hours for TSM twice. I dont get it either, i mean its been open for a couple of years and still long waits, but then again so is Peter Pan's flight and i refuse to wait 75 minutes for a 2 minute ride that has the technology of an Atari 2600:rotfl2: But DD(6) insists on it so a FP is it is

Because Im sure there are no voice actors that can do an similar impression of Don Rickles I mean look at Turtle Talk Im sure thats the EXACT same actor that voiced him in the movie...NOT! Of,course Im not saying I know for a fact bc I dont but Id say it could be a possiblity,no? :D

It is many variations of some phrases, voiced by The Don Rickles himself.

From allears:

Mr. Potato Head stands at the end of the main queue room. This very sophisticated audio-animatronic is able to interact with guests, follow them with his eyes, tell corny jokes, sing, and pick out people in the crowd for special attention. He can even reach up and remove one of his ears!

More time was spent programming Mr. Potato Head than for any other Audio-Animatronics figure ever created by Walt Disney Imagineering.

Mr. Potato Head, voiced by comedian/actor Don Rickles as in the movies, will be able to say more lines of dialogue than any Audio-Animatronics figure ever created by Walt Disney Imagineering.

The Mr. Potato Head Audio-Animatronics figure is the first time that an Audio-Animatronics figure can remove a body part and re-attach it (in the case of his ear).

The Mr. Potato Head Audio-Animatronics figure has new, highly expressive and animated eyes that can look directly at a particular guest in the queue when speaking to him/her.

Mr. Potato Head marks the first Audio-Animatronics figure whose mouth appears to form words and vowel sounds.

It is many variations of some phrases, voiced by The Don Rickles himself.

Yes the same tech they want to use for "Talking Mickey" aka "Uncanny Valley Mickey". Except it works here because when phrases don't make sense or are disjointed when Mickey says them, it sounds odd. When Mr Potato head does it he's being well Mr. Potato Head. Mickey can't get away with "Get out of here kid you're bothering me".

Yea its W.C. Fields but I can't think of any good Don Rickles quotes this early. :goodvibes

I agree, OP. I've never understood the madness to be on TSMM when you're doing the same thing in SRS. Yes, they have different theming and the ride vehicle operates differently, but at the heart of it you're still shooting at something to earn points. Why one gets 2+ hour waits and the other doesn't is what I really don't get.

Is it just me, but to me, these rides appear to be essentially the same ride, but in different parks, and a slight variance in theming? What am I missing? It looks like both are rides where you glide through, and shoot at targets as they pop up or appear. I keep hearing that TSM is the better of the two, but what would I be missing if we just went on Space Ranger Spin, besides the 3D effects?

One's 1970's black light technology, the other is more up to date. One's completely disorganized, the other is organized. One you can't see where you're shooting, the other you can. One needs a complete overhaul and update, the other is good for several more years. Disney many times confuses crowds with popularity. They’ve got a captured audience and it’s the only other major attraction on that side of the park.

One's 1970's black light technology, the other is more up to date. One's completely disorganized, the other is organized. One you can't see where you're shooting, the other you can. One needs a complete overhaul and update, the other is good for several more years. Disney many times confuses crowds with popularity. They’ve got a captured audience and it’s the only other major attraction on that side of the park.

:thumbsup2

I would add that Buzz is an omnimover with tons of capacity, while TSM is not--and this is a major reason their wait times are so different.

:thumbsup2

I would add that Buzz is an omnimover with tons of capacity, while TSM is not--and this is a major reason their wait times are so different.

Completely agree. That's one of the only reasons we ride it when the crowds are big.

Yeah, a burger and filet mignon are essentially the same thing since they both come from the same animal.

I can't hit the middle of those %$#@#$ targets on Buzz to save my life -and- every time I ride it I think of the old Delta sponsored "if you had wings".

Toy Story is just awesome from the cue line to the ride itself---my worst part is that ring toss (I must have bad aim).

No, I think they're very different.

By this logic then BTM, SM, EE & RnR are the same ride - all rollercoasters, right?

That is exactly what I was thinking!

The rides are similar but they are most definitely not the same!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter