Did you ever receive a quote for a package....

The companies that honor their quoted price do so, at least in part, to keep their good name. They want your repeat business and they want you to spread the word that they are a good company. Disney may not feel this is necessary in these situations because they have built a very large empire already, and so the money they would lose by honoring misquotes may be more than if they lose one customer's repeat business. And I'm probably correct in assuming that you yourself is still going to go to Disney.

The person that mentioned 'consideration' in an earlier post is correct. Although you may feel you made an oral contract, it doesn't appear that you actually did as you gave no consideration in the exchange. On top of this point, Disney seems to have countless protections that give them the right to change prices even after you've paid!

Sorry, although many companies would give you something for free in such a situation, Disney just isn't one of them. Honestly, that sort of practice would probably just raise prices for the rest of us.

I have been watching this thread. So far it has been civil. I will be keeping an eye on it.

I guess it's ok to keep it going...we'll take your lead. As the OP, I feel that I've raised an interesting question...and people have had a chance to voice their opinions, although some of it is "beating a dead horse." :sad2:

I recently built a new house and paid OOP for a lot of the materials. I ordered the tile for around the fireplace from a locally owned business whom I had used before. The owner measured and ordered the tile needed but didn't order enough. When I heard of the mistake I tried to pay him the difference and do you know what his response was? "Not necessary. This was my mistake and I take full responsibility." He would not let me pay the difference because he "quoted" me a price that I accepted in good faith. And with any other business, if you have something showing proof, that proof will be honored. I am disappointed that Disney does not honor their work. I have questioned something on my reservation and have been told that I was wrong and then that I was right by a different CM. It's a small thing, but I am curious to see what happens when we arrive.

Some industries are required to honor their quotes, or not go over by more than a certain percentage. I know in CA the law requires that the auto repair industry has to be accurate....don't know what else. Of course, this will also vary by state and industry....

OP - I'm sorry that this happened to you. I don't think Disney did anything wrong though. If your trip had been paid in full and then Disney had discovered the error, the situation would be different. It sounds like they gave you a price quote (which is what it is - just a quote) and then caught the error that 3 people were missing from the dining plan. Better to have caught the error now then later in my opinion when you still have a choice as to whether or not you want to pay that price.

I haven't had a bad experience with CRO (luckily) but what I always do is get my quote online and then call to book. If the numbers don't match, I ask about it. That way online, I can double-check and make sure I'm getting exactly what I need and I know exactly how much it will cost me before I call. CM's are human just like the rest of us and sometimes make mistakes. At least the error was caught before it really would have been an inconvience. As long as they apologized I don't think there is anymore that should have been done.

In fact I gave the CM my credit card number with all the details: name, address, CC number, ex date...in my eyes, I paid for the darn deal. But nope, sorry, we made a mistake and YOU suffer.

Yep same thing happened to me i booked last year for the bounceback and when i got home and saw the printout it had my then 3 yo daughter as an infant (didn't know that could happen:lmao: :rotfl2: ) so i called and told them the error and the price changed and i said that is not what was quoted and they basically said oh well this is the price and i said well how can a 3yo become an infant in a year he said there is nothing i can do by then he kept putting me on hold and after 45 minutes i was glad to get off the phone so it does happen unfortunatly :(

he kept putting me on hold and after 45 minutes i was glad to get off the phone so it does happen unfortunatly :(

I think that's a tactic that they use when a confrontation occurs. I was on hold a very long time...maybe 10-12 minutes during my call...that's like an eternity sitting on the side of the road in your car on a cell phone. I think they hope you hang up.

Disney cares - but again, what would you expect them to do? "Eat" $700 because their employee made a mistake?

Call tapes are for internal use. Their intention is not to prove or disprove conversation, and it makes sense that they're not available to the customer.

For all you know, that CM lost his job over this mistake.

I have been following this thread for a few days, and I really believe that a lot of these problems could be resolved if Disney gave their CRO CMs better training. For example, when you call, it seems many (NOT ALL) CMs don't know their stuff, like the difference between regular and deluxe dining plan and the difference between many of the views at various resorts. They can be SURE they are RIGHT, and then later, you find out you owe more, and the CM didn't know what they were talking about.

While I DO feel original quotes should be honored in these cases, it's just a fact that they are not, and Disney more than insures they have an out in these situations. Unfortunate, yes. Illegal, no.

So if the CMs were more educated in all the intricacies of booking a reservation and all the options that are allowed/available, many "misquotes" due to human error could be avoided, IMHO.

To the OP, I am sorry you had to experience this; at least it was taken care of upfront instead of arriving at the resort and learning part of your party had no dining plan ...

To the OP, I am sorry you had to experience this; at least it was taken care of upfront instead of arriving at the resort and learning part of your party had no dining plan ...

Very eloquently said. And thank you.

I'd blow off the DDP-it's not worth it. You can make your own ADRs. Because people pay in advance for the DDP, they( and we, when we had the DDP) feel like they HAVE to go to restaurants at a certain time or they'll lose their money.
If you book w/o the DDP and something happens to interfere with your ADR-you're having more fun doing something else or you're tired, or the kids are cranky,etc., and you have to miss your ADR, at least you're not out any money.
Before I get blasted into the universe for suggesting skipping an ADR, the CMs told me it's no biggie because they allow for this each day. What you need to do if you want to take advantage of this is show up at a restaurant right when it opens and 9 out if 10 times, you can make a reservation for that day.

I'd blow off the DDP-it's not worth it. You can make your own ADRs. Because people pay in advance for the DDP, they( and we, when we had the DDP) feel like they HAVE to go to restaurants at a certain time or they'll lose their money.
If you book w/o the DDP and something happens to interfere with your ADR-you're having more fun doing something else or you're tired, or the kids are cranky,etc., and you have to miss your ADR, at least you're not out any money.
Before I get blasted into the universe for suggesting skipping an ADR, the CMs told me it's no biggie because they allow for this each day. What you need to do if you want to take advantage of this is show up at a restaurant right when it opens and 9 out if 10 times, you can make a reservation for that day.
I don't understand. You seem to imply that one can't buy the DDP and make same-day ADRs. That's not true.

Yep same thing happened to me i booked last year for the bounceback and when i got home and saw the printout it had my then 3 yo daughter as an infant (didn't know that could happen:lmao: :rotfl2: ) so i called and told them the error and the price changed and i said that is not what was quoted and they basically said oh well this is the price and i said well how can a 3yo become an infant in a year he said there is nothing i can do by then he kept putting me on hold and after 45 minutes i was glad to get off the phone so it does happen unfortunatly :(

The same exact thing happened to me. My husband booked our Aug trip in march and explicitly told the CS person(A few times) that my son would be three when we arrived (bday in may) he verified all the info several times and kept asking if the price was for the four of us and was told yes repeatedly. (we had a pin code and thought, whoa this is a great discount!) BUT the CS person never counted DS in the package. When we called back to add two more days to our vacation they told us that the cm booking made a mistake and the price would b a few hundred dollars more than orig price:eek: . I was quite annoyed...We were never trying to get one over on Disney, we're happy to pay for our son and were told it included him when we booked the pkg. My husband was put on hold many times, spoke to managers etc.. to no avail. it happens, We're over it, we're happy to be going to WDW:yay: . ( it's just the priciple of it all). Honestly, I think they have been training new CS people lately. When we planned our trip for last Dec, it was my kids 1st time so everytime I called, I chose the first timer option on the automated system and was patched into wonderful CS people who knew EVERYTHING. Sorry I had to vent as well :)

The same exact thing happened to me......My husband was put on hold many times, spoke to managers etc.. to no avail. it happens, We're over it, we're happy to be going to WDW:yay: ..... Sorry I had to vent as well :)

I know just how you feel!:(

As others said, it is a non-binding quote until you make a deposit, so although it sucks, they're doing what they are allowed.

I had a change AFTER I made a deposit. Actually, I didn't even know they'd changed it until I got to the Beach Club and the confirmation I had printed out was a couple of hundred under what was in their system. After I got home, I discovered that they had sent a second confirmation with a higher price to my (little-used) email account ONE WEEK before I went on vacation.

To their credit, they did--after a lot of fussing and supervisors--honor the price on my printed confirmation, but the experience definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

I have been reading this forum with interest.

Today, the balance of payment was due on an invoice for a short 3-day package (hotel, tickets, meal plan) at WDW in August. I paid the $200 deposit in January, and they emailed an invoice showing the dates booked, the $200 deposit paid, and the balance due.

I phoned to pay the balance today, and they said I had only booked 2 nights (the invoice shows 3), and there were not any rooms for 3 nights available. After 30 minutes on the phone, an extra night was found, and then they said the price was wrong on the invoice.

I said I had a copy of the invoice, showing dates and prices. They then asked me to fax a copy to guest relations. I waited 30 minutes, then called guest relations again. The reservation was now showing 3 nights, but the price was about 40% higher. Again, I stressed that I had an invoice showing the deposit paid, and the balance due. I indicated I was not happy to pay the extra, so they said they would get back to me within 24 hours after launching an investigation.

I live in the UK, so know nothing about US law. Is there anything else I can do?

This is a much different story than the OP's. You have paid your deposit and received your invoice which clearly states what you owe. They should not ask for more. I'm not sure what the law says. I don't think the law can do much but you are entitled to a full refund if they back out.

You have the option of filing with the Better Business Bureau if they do not hold up to their end

I made an online payment towards our WDW package today and saw this information posted under Terms and Conditions....

General Conditions and Responsibility

.....In addition, Disney reserves the right to cancel or modify a reservation (including after the reservation has been confirmed) if the reservation includes or resulted from a mistake or error of any kind, including but not limited to, a mistake or error in price or description of the package or package components,.....

It's just wrong. :( They may say that in the fine print to cover their butts..but it doesn't make it right. They shouldn't have to pay more than they were quoted and sent a deposit for. The so called error should have been caught when the deposit was received. Now that they make their final payment, it's suddenly more money:confused3

While it may not be the same as the OP's situation, it certainly does indicate ...at least to my satisfaction, that there are getting to be way too many of these situations. Whether it's due to poor training or deception(and I for one believe that some of these scenario's are just that)...it's wrong, and needs to be addressed.

Another reason we always book through AAA, the rate they quote is the rate we get.

Except when we got our quote thru AAA it was $500 higher than the price quoted to me at WDW.com. I told them I wouldn't be booking, and then they brought the price down so it was about $200 less than the wdw.com price. You just have to be a good shopper, and have all your info.

I'm glad to see that this post continues to attract attention. As the OP, I stand by my beliefs, even though I was flamed by many for "wanting something for free."

As a recent poster said: this is becoming far to common.

Red

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter