Did you always like WDW? Boyfriend says he has no desire to go.

Megs83

Earning My Ears
Posted this in the main Disney for Families, but thought it'd be a good idea to post it here too and get input from some men. Especially if you didn't think you'd be fans of WDW at first.

So I've been saving for a family Disney World/Universal Studios trip to give to my boyfriend for his 30th birthday present next year. Thing is, he's mentioned before that he has absolutely no desire to go to Disney World (not knowing that I'm currently saving for a trip). He's never been before and neither have his 2 boys. I think everyone should at least go once in their life! My question is, has anyone here has ever been in the same situation and had it turn out where that person ended up having fun on the trip? I think he really just said that because without saving for a while we wouldn't have the money to go and he doesn't want to get his boys worked up about going. He loves amusement parks, zoos, and water parks (which are all things that WDW/Universal Studios would have to offer). I'm just hoping that he'll get excited once he knows we have the money saved up to go.

Sadly, I also just found out we most likely won't be able to go until late 2014/2015 when he's done with school (he has classes through summers), and then there's also the question of if we'll be able to take his boys out of school or if we'll have to wait and go during their summer break. I know it gives me more time to save and more time for his 5-year-old old to grow. His other son is 11, so they'd be 7 and 13 at the time of the trip. My original plan was to go summer of 2014, so I'm just a little bummed out I guess and questioning if this is even a good idea to save for a trip he's said he doesn't even really care to go on.

Help!

I never got to experience Disney as a child. We didn't have a lot of money and my parents couldn't afford to bring 3 kids to Florida. When I was dating my DW, she asked me if I wanted to go to WDW and I refused. What fun would I have at a place for 'kids'? When we took my DD for the first time (she was 23 months old) and I was able to experience Disney through her eyes I was hooked. Just seeing how her eyes lit up seeing the castle for the first time was enough for me. That was in March 2008. Now we've been to WDW 8 times since then and have been on a Disney cruise as well.

I can't say that your BFs experience would be the same as mine but if you work in some good food, good drinks, and possibly a little alone time, I don't see why you couldn't open his eyes and have a wonderful vacation with him and his sons. I'd be ecstatic if my DW planned a whole WDW trip and payed for it. :lmao:

Thanks. :)

I posted this in the main Disney for Families forum and pretty much got ripped to shreds enough that I'm going to delete my account.

I'm still not 100% sure about it and will probably end up discussing it with him instead of giving it as a birthday present, but thank you for your input. Hopefully I can open his eyes to the magic that is Disney World.

Ripped to shreds? Some people just type before thinking.

One thing you could try is ordering the Vacation Planning DVD (they're free) and watch it together. If he likes amusement parks, this is obviously right up his alley. If the DVD's don't get him psyched for a trip, it may not be in the cards. I still watch the DVDs all the time.

Megs83 said:

I posted this in the main Disney for Families forum and pretty much got ripped to shreds enough that I'm going to delete my account.

I'm still not 100% sure about it and will probably end up discussing it with him instead of giving it as a birthday present, but thank you for your input. Hopefully I can open his eyes to the magic that is Disney World.

Ripped to shreds? For this simple question? Wow.. that's why you don't find many of the Dis Dads out of our little space here. Feel free to post here whenever you'd like. I can promise you that no DisDads would be mean to ya. ::yes::

Unfortunately the thread somehow managed to be turned into people telling me that I should not consider my boyfriend who I've known since middle school and his 2 boys to be my family, and that it's not a true family trip unless we're engaged, and someone else telling me that post-divorce relationships can be unstable, and that it's also wrong of me to want to see if we can take them to WDW since the mother isn't involved (when I already knew that we we're going to need the mother's permission). I was in tears, but then realized how ridiculous it was to let people who I don't even know upset me that much. Some people sadly just don't take the time to think about how what they say will be interpreted.

In researching I found out that they don't delete accounts on here, so I guess I stay, but good grief I don't think I'll be asking any questions outside of here any time soon!

One thing you could try is ordering the Vacation Planning DVD (they're free) and watch it together. If he likes amusement parks, this is obviously right up his alley. If the DVD's don't get him psyched for a trip, it may not be in the cards. I still watch the DVDs all the time.

I got one earlier this year and have watched it a couple times already, along with the WDW videos on Netflix. :)

Shreds? Don't listen to those fools. While I am all for marriage, who you call your family is your family's business.

As for your original question, I did not KNOW about WDW. I think I posted this in one of my TRs, but I went to WDW with my parents when I was 12 or 13. We went to Epcot on Saturday in Spring Break. It was so crowded, we walked the countries and I rode three rides. Not very impressed, although I did remember the Horizons ride (Mission Space).

I enjoy theme parks, amusement parks, thrill rides, and having fun. DW and I honeymooned in WDW (we had no children). She had never been as a child and it was her idea. I thought I give is a second try. Well, i had a great time and an even better time when after we took our children.

If it was just you and him, I would say go for it. I would think it would be really cool to receive a surprise vacation as a present. Since it involves his children, there may be another reason he isn't giving you.

Megs83 said:

You will learn there are some very touchy areas around the DisBoards. They are bullies and need to ignored. We here are friendly and will help if we can.

Megs83 said:
Unfortunately the thread somehow managed to be turned into people telling me that I should not consider my boyfriend who I've known since middle school and his 2 boys to be my family, and that it's not a true family trip unless we're engaged, and someone else telling me that post-divorce relationships can be unstable, and that it's also wrong of me to want to see if we can take them to WDW since the mother isn't involved (when I already knew that we we're going to need the mother's permission). I was in tears, but then realized how ridiculous it was to let people who I don't even know upset me that much. Some people sadly just don't take the time to think about how what they say will be interpreted.

In researching I found out that they don't delete accounts on here, so I guess I stay, but good grief I don't think I'll be asking any questions outside of here any time soon!

Sorry to hear, hang in there and feel free to ask away here. We many times talk about the great food and attractions. We are welcoming.

I think they were probably girls.

Wow! Never saw the other post and I am not a dad (a mom actually and I have very conservative family values) but geez- why would someone comment negatively on your post?!?! You wouldn't think asking about taking your bf to wdw is a touchy subject! You werent asking for advice on family structure! I'm sorry you had to receive those comments, op.

I would think maybe your bf doesn't truly understand what Disney is? Now he may not be a Disney person and may truly not want to go, but maybe he thinks it is more of a little kid park for girls with all the princesses and stuff and not understand that it is lots of fun for boys and grown men, too. I agree maybe get a Disney planning DVD or keep pulling things up online that may interest him and the boys like the pirates league, pirates of the Caribbean ride, tower of terror, Star Wars, etc. plus show him Disney quest and the water parks. I would day he should try it. Maybe plan the trip as being more of a universal trip with Disney for a few days on the side and then hope he ends up loving Disney and you can go longer next time!

Good luck!

Wow looked at OP post in the main forum. Defiantly a bunch of B*****s. I guess they are not happy in their own lives and have to bully others to feel better about themselves.

I'm not a man but saw the thread and wanted to add. My boyfriend (DH now) was the same way and wasnt exactly excited about the prospects of a disney trip for his birthday so what I did was added a dinner reservation at ESPN Club on the boardwalk and also one of the cheaper boat rentals at grand Floridian. Hollywood studios has the stunt show which men seem to love, as well as the thrill rides like rockin rollercoaster. These got him more interested and he ended up totally changing his mind about disney once he saw it wasn't just kid rides. This was 4 years ago and since then we had a disney fairytale wedding and will be celebrating out honeymoon on a disney cruise in December and he loves disney just as much as i do now. Don't be discouraged by what other people tell you and all it might take is him seeing that disney isn't all about children's things.

And as far as who you consider family...I consider my dog my family and I know for a fact that soooo many people consider their pets family so obviously family is how you define it, not how other people think you should define family. I hope this helped even a little bit and I hope this all works out for you!

:-)

I read the other post and I think there was one good point in it. Maybe don't do the trip as a bday present? I would still go on a trip but not make it the BIG bday present. I remember one year my Dh took me rock climbing for my bday. He thought I would enjoy it (it was ok) but really HE was the one who wanted to go. I was very bitter the whole time because I felt the rock climbing was more for him and it being MY bday Was more of an excuse for him to go. Since it was my bday I really wish he had made it more about me and what I wanted to do. Could you maybe make a fun just because quick weekend trip to see if he likes Disney and then you both can plan a trip together that includes everyone?

Wow looked at OP post in the main forum. Defiantly a bunch of B*****s. I guess they are not happy in their own lives and have to bully others to feel better about themselves.

To be fair there were only a couple of them who made comments about her family. The others were commenting on the OPs response. I wasn't surprised to see who made the first comment about family.

OP, I think surprising your boy friend would be a mistake. He said he had no desire to go and surprising him with the trip probably wouldn't change that. Perhaps talking it over with him would be a better idea.

declansdad said:
To be fair there were only a couple of them who made comments about her family. The others were commenting on the OPs response. I wasn't surprised to see who made the first comment about family.

OP, I think surprising your boy friend would be a mistake. He said he had no desire to go and surprising him with the trip probably wouldn't change that. Perhaps talking it over with him would be a better idea.

Noted. I am just sick of the bulling that goes on in some of the treads. And the "mommies" I hear a lot of time doing so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter